Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004

suffix posted:

It depend on the framework and the server. IIRC CherryPy has a decent threaded server for development mode, while Flask and Bottle just uses a single-threaded server.

When you're using a separate WSGI server, it will usually spawn a number of worker processes or threads and delegate incoming requests to them, but I think most of them can be configured to thread/process-per-request.

The WSGI PEP specifies how a framework indicates support for multithreading or multiprocessing.

In bottle, it's as easy as
Python code:
bottle.run(server='paste')  # or cherrypy, or a number of others 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Carrier posted:

I'm basically trying to simulate an object responding to commands to move to a certain position and I want to simulate some sort of delay in this response so that sometimes, it might not make it to the position its supposed to reach before it gets given another command. Sorta simulating like a car being told to go to point A, then to point B, and so on but it can only travel at a certain speed to get there. In the long term I was hoping to plot this movement on a graph as I read a set of preset target positions from a file, but for now I'd settle for just numerically being able to do this kind of simulation. So visually, I'd have something like (using O for object, T for target position):

code:
---------O------------T--------- t = 0
------------O---------T--------- t = 1
---------------O------T--------- t = 2
------------------O---T--------- t = 3
---------------------O---------T t = 4
With a new target position being defined at t = 4 etc. and the potential for the new target position to be in the opposite direction.

Yeah I understand all that but I'm not sure where threading comes in. Is there a real-time component?

I think you're making it more complicated than you need to. Here's what I would do: create an object with attributes x and dx_dt (i.e. velocity). They can be scalars, or vectors for multidimensional position. To update the simulated position, do self.x += self.dx_dt * dt where dt is the time since the last update. To represent a new command being received, assign a new value to dx_dt. From there it's pretty easy to simulate things like a delay in command time or to calculate the commanded dx_dt based on some target position compared to the simulated position.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

HardDisk posted:

I need to parse ISO 8601 dates and I found the dateutil module (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-dateutil/1.5). However, the latest version for python 2.X is 1.5, which is 4 years old by now. Is there any recommendations against it?
You should try Arrow.

Python code:
>>> arrow.get('2013-09-30T15:34:00.000-07:00')
<Arrow [2013-09-30T15:34:00-07:00]>

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Looks very interesting. Will take a look as soon as possible. Thanks.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Yeah I understand all that but I'm not sure where threading comes in. Is there a real-time component?

I think you're making it more complicated than you need to. Here's what I would do: create an object with attributes x and dx_dt (i.e. velocity). They can be scalars, or vectors for multidimensional position. To update the simulated position, do self.x += self.dx_dt * dt where dt is the time since the last update. To represent a new command being received, assign a new value to dx_dt. From there it's pretty easy to simulate things like a delay in command time or to calculate the commanded dx_dt based on some target position compared to the simulated position.

Would this method work for more complicated velocities? I was eventually hoping to have the object move towards the target following a critically damped harmonic oscillator motion.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Carrier posted:

Would this method work for more complicated velocities? I was eventually hoping to have the object move towards the target following a critically damped harmonic oscillator motion.

Look into Kalman filters.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Carrier posted:

It sounds like you might want to represent the object's behavior as a dynamical system (system of first-order ODEs) given some control parameters. Then you could use scipy.integrate to update its real position (what I suggested previously was basically this but with the dynamics being simply dx_dt = velocity with velocity as the only control parameter, and using an Euler solver to integrate).

Then you could implement an input function that updates the controller's perceived position of the object, perhaps with delay and noise, and an output function that updates the control parameters of the object, perhaps with delay and noise.

And finally the controller logic that takes the controller's perceived position of the object and decides what commands to send to the output function. This is where a Kalman filter could go if I'm understanding that suggestion correctly.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Thanks for everyones help! Looks like this is going to be a little more involved than I had first hoped... Should be fun!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Is there a way to use list.count() for a 2 dimensional list?

I have a list that's like:

mylist = [['dog',True],['cat',False],['horse',True]]

And mylist.count('dog') and mylist.count(True) both return 0. If the command doesn't work, is there another way? I was just going to do something like:

code:
for row in mylist:
     if row[0] == 'dog':
          dcount += 1
     if row[1] == True:
          tcount += 1
But I didn't know if there was a more "Pythonic" method. Thanks.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Well you could either flatten the list first, then use count, or if you know you're only looking for dogs and cats in the first element (etc.) something like

code:
n_dogs = sum(row[0] == 'dog' for row in mylist)
n_true = sum(row[1] for row in mylist)  # No need to check if True == True, it's already True
That's taking advantage of the fact that True is 1 when summed, so maybe it's more explicit to do

code:
n_dogs = sum(1 if row[0] == 'dog' else 0 for row in mylist)
n_true = sum(1 if row[1] else 0 for row in mylist)

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

the posted:

Is there a way to use list.count() for a 2 dimensional list?

I have a list that's like:

mylist = [['dog',True],['cat',False],['horse',True]]

And mylist.count('dog') and mylist.count(True) both return 0. If the command doesn't work, is there another way? I was just going to do something like:

code:
for row in mylist:
     if row[0] == 'dog':
          dcount += 1
     if row[1] == True:
          tcount += 1
But I didn't know if there was a more "Pythonic" method. Thanks.

What are you trying to do? Without knowing any more details and just trying to provide a quick solution I'm going to suggest using a dictionary.

code:
counts = {}
for row in mylist:
    counts[row[0]] = counts.get(row[0], 0) + 1
This will create an empty dict and then for each row in your list it is going to then create a new key with value 1 if they key does not exist or it is going to increment an existing key's value by 1. Then you would just print counts['dog'] and that would print out the number of dog entries in the list etc etc.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Lyon posted:

What are you trying to do?

I have a list that contains two columns: Column A is made up a mix of 4 different strings, and Column B is True or False.

I want to easily get a count of one of the strings in Column A and the amount of Trues.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

the posted:

I have a list that contains two columns: Column A is made up a mix of 4 different strings, and Column B is True or False.

I want to easily get a count of one of the strings in Column A and the amount of Trues.

If you want to deal with tables of data in python you should very seriously consider using pandas.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Nippashish posted:

If you want to deal with tables of data in python you should very seriously consider using pandas.

SurgicalOntologist has already been grumbling at me to use it for my 5k data experiment earlier in this thread, I'll give it a look eventually!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

the posted:

SurgicalOntologist has already been grumbling at me to use it for my 5k data experiment earlier in this thread, I'll give it a look eventually!

Although in truth you should be using pandas, I don't believe that's what I grumbled.

You don't need pandas for that though (well you need it installed as a dependency), you can make the plots straight from your existing lists

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

the posted:

Python code:
import pandas as pd

df = pd.DataFrame({
"A": ["abc", "xyz", "abc", "abc", "xyz", "ijk",...],
"B": [True, False, False, True, False, True,...]})

df.groupby('A').sum()
That should do it, I think - and it's really the simplest example of the power of groupby. Pandas makes everything better.

(Any word on wesm's next thing? I cannot remember what it's called for the life of me, but it's supposed to be a better pandas IIRC)

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

ohgodwhat posted:

(Any word on wesm's next thing? I cannot remember what it's called for the life of me, but it's supposed to be a better pandas IIRC)

It's an online data analytics system or something like that. He gave a talk about it at pydata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPEmoT018s8

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

the posted:

SurgicalOntologist has already been grumbling at me to use it for my 5k data experiment earlier in this thread, I'll give it a look eventually

Instead of coming in here all the time asking about the best way to do some convoluted task, you should probably start taking the advice of the people in this thread and use some of the tools they recommend. Have you noticed that the first response to your posts is typically "what are you trying to do?"? Maybe devote a little time to something like pandas and then look back at what you were trying to do before and have a good laugh.

On a somewhat related note, are you related to forums user Pollyanna by chance?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I've been working through Pandas tonight

And No, why do you ask?

edit: \/\/\/ I was assuming that PollyAnna was "another forums user who asks way too many annoying questions."

the fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 21, 2014

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Instead of coming in here all the time asking about the best way to do some convoluted task, you should probably start taking the advice of the people in this thread and use some of the tools they recommend. Have you noticed that the first response to your posts is typically "what are you trying to do?"? Maybe devote a little time to something like pandas and then look back at what you were trying to do before and have a good laugh.

On a somewhat related note, are you related to forums user Pollyanna by chance?

This is a pretty rude response for the Python information and short questions megathread, and the has clearly learned how to do a lot of things coming from a non-programmer background.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

kraftwerk singles posted:

This is a pretty rude response for the Python information and short questions megathread, and the has clearly learned how to do a lot of things coming from a non-programmer background.

Sorry for the tone. I guess I'm turning into a crotchety old man. I realize everyone has to start somewhere and the really has made some good progress, but I get a little frustrated when the first instinct of some posters is to post in the forum rather than thinking through a problem for a bit or googling around. I think this only got to me because I read the past few pages of posts in rapid succession.

the, keep doing what you're doing.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
It seems like Pandas just making numpy behave like data frames from R or tables from Matlab. Is that the basic idea or is there more to it?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

That's the basic idea, yes. It's a relatively simple library when you realize it's fundamentally just providing a single data structure (really, three: Series, DataFrame, Panel).

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Weird question: is there a Python library that acts as an alternative to the Make utility? I.e. dispatching function calls based on missing or outdated links in a dependency graph?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Weird question: is there a Python library that acts as an alternative to the Make utility? I.e. dispatching function calls based on missing or outdated links in a dependency graph?

Do you just want to write your Makefile in Python, or do you need an actual library that you can invoke programatically?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

good jovi posted:

Do you just want to write your Makefile in Python, or do you need an actual library that you can invoke programatically?

The latter I guess. Although I'm not really sure what you mean by the former.

Really I'm just curious what's out there. I have some ideas for a domain-specific build system I'd like to put together, and I don't want to start from scratch. It could work with Python scripts running from the Makefile but that would be less than ideal.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

https://wiki.python.org/moin/ConfigurationAndBuildTools

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Fantastic, thanks.

E: Any of these particularly well-respected or does anyone have a particular recommendation? After a quick browse (Python 3 support, Pythonic API, active development) my list is down to paver, doit, fabricate, and pynt.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 21, 2014

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the posted:

Find every prime number between 0 and 100.

edit: in 20 lines or less

I did this! :woop:
Any recommendations for more projects?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

rock2much posted:

Just work through the problems on Project Euler.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Something weird's going on in Pandas. So, I loaded up that race data. It's in a CSV with three columns:

code:
         Time  Age  Gender
0   17.433333   30    Male
1   17.600000   17    Male
2   18.050000   17    Male
3   18.116667   38    Male
4   18.233333   44    Male
5   18.333333   44    Male
6   18.716667   16    Male
7   18.750000   58    Male
8   18.900000   40    Male
9   19.133333   45    Male
And so I grab the mean sorted by gender:

code:
In [34]: df.groupby('Gender').aggregate(np.mean)
Out[34]: 
             Time        Age
Male    29.315735  39.204721

[2 rows x 2 columns]
Looks good, now let's group by age:

code:
In [36]: df.groupby('Age').aggregate(np.mean)
Out[36]: 
          Time
5    54.390476
6    38.733333
7    40.033333
8    35.588333
9    36.012057
10   31.702344

[84 rows x 1 columns]
How come this gets put into one column? I'm trying to find the mean for each age and then plot mean age vs time, but it ends up throwing errors afterwards because there's only one column now in the data.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

rock2much posted:

Write a code that checks to see if a supplied string is a palindrome or not.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

the posted:

Something weird's going on in Pandas. So, I loaded up that race data. It's in a CSV with three columns:

code:
         Time  Age  Gender
0   17.433333   30    Male
1   17.600000   17    Male
2   18.050000   17    Male
3   18.116667   38    Male
4   18.233333   44    Male
5   18.333333   44    Male
6   18.716667   16    Male
7   18.750000   58    Male
8   18.900000   40    Male
9   19.133333   45    Male
And so I grab the mean sorted by gender:

code:
In [34]: df.groupby('Gender').aggregate(np.mean)
Out[34]: 
             Time        Age
Male    29.315735  39.204721

[2 rows x 2 columns]
Looks good, now let's group by age:

code:
In [36]: df.groupby('Age').aggregate(np.mean)
Out[36]: 
          Time
5    54.390476
6    38.733333
7    40.033333
8    35.588333
9    36.012057
10   31.702344

[84 rows x 1 columns]
How come this gets put into one column? I'm trying to find the mean for each age and then plot mean age vs time, but it ends up throwing errors afterwards because there's only one column now in the data.

What does it mean to plot MEAN age vs time? Your last result gives you the mean time at each distinct age in the data frame. Do you want to plot the mean time for each distinct age?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Jose Cuervo posted:

What does it mean to plot MEAN age vs time?

Excuse me, I miswrote that. I want to plot the Age vs. Mean Time (for that age)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

rock2much posted:

Project Euler is alright, so is checkio.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

the posted:

I'm not sure what else you expected. Those numbers are the mean times for each age. Of the three original columns, time is still there, gender is gone because you can't take the mean of strings, and age is in the index because it's what you grouped by.

You should be able to plot a single column no problem, it will use the index for the x axis. What happens when you do

Python code:
df.groupby('Age').mean().plot()
Also just make a jointplot it will be interesting.

code:
pip install seaborn
then
Python code:
import seaborn as sns

sns.jointplot('Age', 'Time', df)
It could hardly be easier. Many of the other Seaborn plots will be interesting too, easier than manipulating the dataframe yourself, and look better.

Python code:
sns.lmplot('Age', 'Time', df, hue='Gender')

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

And the mean plot follows the path I was more or less expecting originally. Peaks at the really young and really old:

the fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 22, 2014

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Cool! Now try it again without the outlier, and use the "advanced" syntax to customize a bit:

Python code:
from scipy import stats

grid = sns.JointGrid('Age', 'Time', df.drop(df['Time'].argmax()))
grid.plot(sns.regplot, sns.distplot, stats.pearsonr)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Interesting, I don't know what you did there, but interesting:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

1. You removed the outlier with the methods drop and argmax (since you only wanted to get rid of one outlier it was straightforward).

2. Instead of using the "shortcut" function jointplot, you used the JointGrid object, allowing you to specify which plotting functions to use on each axes.

3. On the bivariate axes, you used regplot isntead of the default scatter, which added the best-fit line.

4. On the two univariate axes, you used distplot instead of the default histogram, which added the kernel density estimate.

In the end, it looks like you don't have much of a correlation. You might try the gender plot I suggested earlier, simply because you have that variable you may as well examine.

Also, do you have data as to which race each data point is from? That could be interesting.

• Locked thread