Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Unless he's playing with some mods that give access to areas out-of-order, neither of the 2 Rings of Free Action nor Spider's Bane are accessible until you beat the Bandit Camp. Like...he could be at the level cap and he still would have no way of getting those items.

You can go to Ulgoth's Beard and pick pocket that free action ring from that gnome right at the start of the game. The other ring and Spider's Bane take a while to get though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ginette Reno posted:

You can go to Ulgoth's Beard and pick pocket that free action ring from that gnome right at the start of the game. The other ring and Spider's Bane take a while to get though.

Ulgoths beard is only accessible from the north side of the baldurs gate map in whatever version I play.

And you can't get there until after cloak wood.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Ulgoths beard is only accessible from the north side of the baldurs gate map in whatever version I play.

And you can't get there until after cloak wood.

What version are you playing? I'm almost positive you can go there right from the start in BG enhanced or BGtutu. You just need to go to the baldur's gate bridge zone or maybe it's the zombie zone just north of that. One of those two. Almost positive it works.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ginette Reno posted:

What version are you playing? I'm almost positive you can go there right from the start in BG enhanced or BGtutu. You just need to go to the baldur's gate bridge zone or maybe it's the zombie zone just north of that. One of those two. Almost positive it works.

Bgt I think. I distinctly remember the weidu mod prompt asking if I wanted ulgoths beard accessible before cloak wood.

I have zero problem believing that of the like 9999 different ways one can play bg1, mine is one of the few that restricts until later.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

Bgt I think. I distinctly remember the weidu mod prompt asking if I wanted ulgoths beard accessible before cloak wood.

I have zero problem believing that of the like 9999 different ways one can play bg1, mine is one of the few that restricts until later.

I just tested it with bg enhanced with an old save that's in chapter 4 and you can access Ulgoth's Beard pre Cloakwood finished by zoning to the north in the Baldur's Gate bridge zone that is just north of the Ankheg zone. Don't have a chapter 1 save but I see no reason why it wouldn't work in Chapter 1 too.

I think it also works in tutu if memory serves. Yeah I'm assuming like you said that you installed an option preventing going there early.

You can also go to Durlag's Tower whenever you want. I've rushed there before to do parts of upper Durlags as with a protection from petrification scroll or spell you can easily get that +2 scimitar that's outside the tower. You just need to stealth or invis past the doom guards if you're unable to handle them.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Huh. I figured since the option immediately before is making cloakwood accessible BEFORE the bandit camp, that I was just keeping defaults.

All this time I've likely been blocking myself from...well, nothing much really.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
A bunch of experience for killing Shandalar? Am I the only one that kills Shandalar every time? Thanks for that pain-in-the-rear end dungeon with no reward, jerk.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Draile posted:

A bunch of experience for killing Shandalar? Am I the only one that kills Shandalar every time? Thanks for that pain-in-the-rear end dungeon with no reward, jerk.

How are you killing Shandalar at low level anyway. Last time I tried I couldn't even hit him and this was around level 7-8.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Hit him with a wand of paralysis and you can kill him before all of his bullshit scripting kicks in, so it doesn't matter what level you're at. He drops a robe of neutral archmagi, too, so you even get a reward! You'll take a reputation hit though.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Draile posted:

Hit him with a wand of paralysis and you can kill him before all of his bullshit scripting kicks in, so it doesn't matter what level you're at. He drops a robe of neutral archmagi, too, so you even get a reward! You'll take a reputation hit though.

Wands of paralysis are so hilariously broken in BG1. Its basically save at -2 or die.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MegaGatts posted:

Wands are so hilariously broken in BG1.

That's more like it. Paralysis is bad, but the Summoning and Fire wands are just as busted.

mottbag
Nov 11, 2009
My friends and I are having lots of problems playing multiplayer with both enhanced editions of BG1 and 2. Often someone will crash when loading a game or transitioning to another area. Is this common? Are there any fixes?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mottbag posted:

My friends and I are having lots of problems playing multiplayer with both enhanced editions of BG1 and 2. Often someone will crash when loading a game or transitioning to another area. Is this common? Are there any fixes?

If you're playing an unpatched version, yeah. The most recent patch fixes those problems.

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
How many people can actually play in a multiplayer game? I understand the limit is 6 of course, but is that practical or does the game have finnicky netcode? Also for anyone with experience, is it actually fun to play with that many people or do unexpected gameplay issues crop up?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pomale posted:

How many people can actually play in a multiplayer game? I understand the limit is 6 of course, but is that practical or does the game have finnicky netcode? Also for anyone with experience, is it actually fun to play with that many people or do unexpected gameplay issues crop up?

Given how big this game is on Real Time With Pause, I really can't see more than two people being genuinely fun.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Given how big this game is on Real Time With Pause, I really can't see more than two people being genuinely fun.

I never played multiplayer with 6 people, but if everyone controls one character, I don't think you'll be pausing that much, except with maybe very high level wizards.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I once played with four other people, all wild mages :getin: It was really fun, except the multiplayer is even buggier than normal gameplay. Malaaq spawning multiple copies in every area is the smallest problem. We were using hamachi for a virtual network though.

Nov 19, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

I never played multiplayer with 6 people, but if everyone controls one character, I don't think you'll be pausing that much, except with maybe very high level wizards.

That's basically how I imagined it; the need to pause is lessened since you only need to focus on one character. As long as you're communicating and everyone is competent you should only need to pause if things get out of control and you need to reassess the situation. That's just how it plays out in my head though, I'm sure in real life there would be more reasons to pause from time to time. I'm mostly concerned about whether the game will correctly handle the inputs of six players and how fun it will actually end up being. I imagine the person who gets stuck playing Fighter wouldn't be having a great time, though I guess everyone could just play a different flavor of Mage and you'd be mostly okay.

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

I once played with four other people, all wild mages :getin: It was really fun, except the multiplayer is even buggier than normal gameplay. Malaaq spawning multiple copies in every area is the smallest problem. We were using hamachi for a virtual network though.

This is the sort of thing I'm concerned with. Was this on BG:EE or the original? Have you tried playing on Beamdog's multiplayer service?

more like FAILdows get it fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 20, 2014

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Nah, it was the original BG2, a long time ago. And no, sorry. :(

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I can only imagine 6 people multiplayer would be an enormous clusterfuck but it still sounds hilarious. Too bad I can't even convince a single friend to play with me :(

Nov 19, 2007

netcat posted:

I can only imagine 6 people multiplayer would be an enormous clusterfuck but it still sounds hilarious. Too bad I can't even convince a single friend to play with me :(

Yeah I'm a little sparse on interested friends myself, but if somehow I were able to get 5 of them to give it a try I think it'd be a lot of fun even if it ended up being a disaster. It'd be too bad if the game were too glitchy to even run correctly, though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Ice Temple in IWD2 is staggeringly poo poo.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
About to play my first ever baldurs gate campaign. I have EE, I want to play as a gnome weilding a massive quarterstaff and a sling. What's the best class for that and what should I set my starting stats to? Id also like to know what to max firsr strength or dex?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

always be closing posted:

About to play my first ever baldurs gate campaign. I have EE, I want to play as a gnome weilding a massive quarterstaff and a sling. What's the best class for that and what should I set my starting stats to? Id also like to know what to max firsr strength or dex?

Thief/Mage is pretty awesome for that.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Create a wild mage with good dexterity and tolerable strength, then use a character editor to change it into a Gnome F/wM/T (just change the race and class, not the kit). Be the greatest gnome in history.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Does the mage do big melee damage with staff? Id like to open up from the shadows with a barrage of slingshots then clean up with staff presumeably.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Does the mage do big melee damage with staff? Id like to open up from the shadows with a barrage of slingshots then clean up with staff presumeably.

Staves are the best backstab weapons there are. A mage/thief doing staff backstabs will regularly OHKO the strongest of foes.

e: a specific staff, actually, but still

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As far as stats go, Dexterity is something you always want to max regardless of the character, while Strength is something you put all your leftover points into after maxing any other important stats. Most combat characters should be maxing Strength, but if you're playing a class or multiclass combo that needs a lot of stats elsewhere, Strength is the best place to be a little short.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for the posts guys. So ill make a theif/mage, what do ibput my 2 ability points into and what should be a good starting stat setup?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thanks for the posts guys. So ill make a theif/mage, what do ibput my 2 ability points into and what should be a good starting stat setup?

Staves and slings, so that you have a ranged option. For stats, 18 Dex and Int, high Con, high Wis if you can spare the points.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

razorrozar posted:

Staves and slings, so that you have a ranged option. For stats, 18 Dex and Int, high Con, high Wis if you can spare the points.

This doesn't really make sense.

Intelligence is irrelevant for mages in Baldur's Gate 2. On higher difficulty levels, it does affect chance to memorize spells, but there are potions and other temporary buffs you can use to set your chance of success to 100%. Intelligence is only useful for melee fighters who are going to fight illithids because it provides more defense against their insta-kill attack.

I'm not sure what purpose wisdom would serve this character build either, unless they're going to use the Wish spells a lot.

Dexterity and Constitution are important, although Constitution won't help you past 16. Dexterity will help with ranged attack and armor class.

Strength is important to, if you're going to be using a quarter staff. Generally, hybrid mage classes shouldn't worry about direct damage spells: they do damage with the the other class's skills.

So, instead of spells like acid arrow, fire ball, and skull trap, you should be using spells like mirror image, haste, and stoneskin and run around hitting enemies with your stick.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Gnomes get bonuses to saving throws for wisdom. Also it's actually pretty nifty to memorize spells correctly insteado f loving around with potions??

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And high Intelligence scores get you more spell slots, I think.

Or maybe they don't.

I forget.

gently caress 2e.

Just put your Int up anyway.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I want to do Neera's ToB quest, but apparently it bugs out if you do Hexxat's first, and then you can't do it? Aren't there any post-release patches? Can I fix it?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Playing a mage that doesn't have a decent intelligence score has always seemed like the gamiest thing. I mean, I get why it's advisable to put nothing into the score, but I can never bring myself to do it.

"I spend most of my life studying books and scrolls, but I'm actually retarded as gently caress."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Playing a mage that doesn't have a decent intelligence score has always seemed like the gamiest thing. I mean, I get why it's advisable to put nothing into the score, but I can never bring myself to do it.

"I spend most of my life studying books and scrolls, but I'm actually retarded as gently caress."

Wizards are pretty much the Peter Principle in adventuring form, anyway. There's tons of Forgotten Realms stories about mages who reached too far for their own stupidity.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gobblecoque posted:

Having worked in academia, this is wholly plausible.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

You don't need long-term memory or quick-thinking to memorise your lecture notes an hour before the exam!

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The Ice Temple in IWD2 is staggeringly poo poo.

Yes it is.

Make sure you are using the ease of use mod for IWD2. There is a option you can check that will skip the retarded battle square thing. That makes it a little bit less painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to start Baldur's Gate: EE for the first time. Any tips or pointers I should keep in mind?