Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a question of whether Disney wants to pick up the tab to do proper restorations of the unaltered cuts. They can, obviously, they're loving Disney, but it's a question of whether they want to go to the effort.

Then again they obviously have time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

When was the last Star Wars Blu-Ray release? I want to say it's only been like 3 years. I don't think 4k alone is incentive enough for most people who bought the last one to drop the money on this one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I haven't bought any of the Star Wars releases since I was 12 and the VHS special editions came out. I will buy the blu ray set of the original trilogy the instant they release the non-special edition versions. Until then I will happily continue to not own Star Wars.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

When was the last Star Wars Blu-Ray release? I want to say it's only been like 3 years. I don't think 4k alone is incentive enough for most people who bought the last one to drop the money on this one.
Yup, 2011. I rented the Blu-Rays of the original trilogy from Blockbuster (heh) because hell no I wasn't going to spend the $50 or however much it was to buy the set when I knew they were the editions I didn't like. Aside from all the lovely changes, I thought the movies looked and sounded the best they ever had.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Fox still has the distribution rights to the films until 2020, and permanently in the case of ANH, so I doubt Disney is going to be helping out with restoring the theatric versions any time soon.

Snowcow fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 16, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think it's a question of whether Disney wants to pick up the tab to do proper restorations of the unaltered cuts. They can, obviously, they're loving Disney, but it's a question of whether they want to go to the effort.

Then again they obviously have time.

Especially when they'd have to split the profits with Fox, who, for all monetary intents and purposes, own the films.

efb

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I seriously can't imagine watching a Star Wars movie without the Fox fanfare at the beginning. Whatever that experience will be like is inconceivable to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No wait what if they use the first 8 seconds of this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq6Kgf6Tnus

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sirotan posted:

Was there some reason you didn't want to order from Amazon Japan? With the exchange rate, you're looking at about $54 USD plus shipping (which was I think around $11 for me).

In case any of you were wondering, no, Amazon Japan will *not* ship to a PO Box. :mad:

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Steve Yun posted:

I seriously can't imagine watching a Star Wars movie without the Fox fanfare at the beginning. Whatever that experience will be like is inconceivable to me.

Agreed. You know they're going to try an opening with a "When You Wish Upon A Star (Wars)" kind of thing that is going to be so weird. :psyduck:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Just replace the intro with this.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sith Happens posted:

Agreed. You know they're going to try an opening with a "When You Wish Upon A Star (Wars)" kind of thing that is going to be so weird. :psyduck:

I didn't realize this would happen but it just seems like sacrilege. I don't think I can accept a Star Wars movie not opening with that fanfare.

More on topic, wouldn't it benefit both Disney and Fox to release the originals again? Fox profits from the sales and Disney profits from the brand awareness.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cloks posted:

I didn't realize this would happen but it just seems like sacrilege. I don't think I can accept a Star Wars movie not opening with that fanfare.

More on topic, wouldn't it benefit both Disney and Fox to release the originals again? Fox profits from the sales and Disney profits from the brand awareness.

I dunno. I can see two major corporations pissing away money over politics.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Disney just spent an ungodly fortune for Lucasfilms - how much extra would it really take to get distribution rights from Fox, even if just for a particular release (the way studios come to agreements over certain films so, say, a complete Hitchcock or Halloween set can be released)? Star Wars is worth so much to Disney as a way to pump out new sequels forever and then make boatloads on the merchandising. How much can Fox make from catalog Blu-ray sales of the original Star Wars, a film everyone who cares already owns in some configuration, and a film that will be less and less relevant to the young kids who are the real market that Disney wants to tap? I think its in Disney's interest to release the original trilogy as a first (and most likely final) olive branch to the diehards to get good vibes flowing across the board around the release of Episode VII, and I think it's in Fox's interest to take the moneyhat from Disney as that might be the largest chunk of change they will ever make on Star Wars ever again.

Either way, SOMEONE commissioned a 4K scan, so something has to be up. Maybe Fox thinks they can make more selling it themselves than taking money to let Disney release it.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

gently caress you. I went drinking, saw this, and spent $100. :mad:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Has anyone ever heard talk of a release for Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid?

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Either way, SOMEONE commissioned a 4K scan, so something has to be up. Maybe Fox thinks they can make more selling it themselves than taking money to let Disney release it.

The scans were done years ago. LFL sent the neg to Reliance and it was the special editions. I've seen them.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Egbert Souse posted:

new remasters of True Lies and The Abyss

These were done years ago along with the Terminator remaster. They've been sitting there gathering dust.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Five Cent Deposit posted:

These were done years ago along with the Terminator remaster. They've been sitting there gathering dust.

Why? As long as you're sharing do you have any insight? The Abyss has never had a good release EVER, and every time I see a ton of new posts in this thread my heart jumps a bit thinking we'll finally get an official release date. I kind of love the film and the wait is infuriating.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

That isn't true unless James Cameron was lying in interviews about how he was going to supervise the new transfers.

Or maybe it is true. It has been like 2-3 years since he talked about them (jeez, it didn't feel that long ago)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 21, 2014

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com on Shout! Factory's Herzog set

Most of the films appear to be from older transfers that have some noise and filtering built-in, but nothing horrible like a typical Universal no-effort video master. However, the BFI release of Nosferatu is apparently less filtered, so we'll have to see if there's major differences on that set.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

ApexAftermath posted:

Why? As long as you're sharing do you have any insight? The Abyss has never had a good release EVER, and every time I see a ton of new posts in this thread my heart jumps a bit thinking we'll finally get an official release date. I kind of love the film and the wait is infuriating.

Cameron has to see it and be happy with it. He has to give a final sign off on it. Last I checked (years ago) Reliance didn't know why the project had stalled out. Their work was done, and his people had been notified. It was anyone's guess as to why he wasn't prioritizing it. But y'know, he is a pretty busy guy.

Call Me Charlie posted:

That isn't true unless James Cameron was lying in interviews about how he was going to supervise the new transfers.

Or maybe it is true. It has been like 2-3 years since he talked about them (jeez, it didn't feel that long ago)

Two years ago, I was looking at outputs of Terminator that were finally being dusted off - this is what became the most recent Blu of that film. I asked about True Lies and The Abyss and was told that they, too, had been done "for years" and that "they were all done around the same time" in the memory of the guy who I was talking to. He pegged it at 2008 or 2009.

Cameron already gave years of his life to these films, decades ago. He's like the most ambitious person in the universe. You really think he wants to be in the trenches supervising dozens of people for months or years to restore his old films? When he says "supervise" he means "sign off on" work that's already done. Now in his case that does mean looking more closely than most other directors would, and potentially kicking stuff back for additional work. And that is indeed a time and energy commitment - one that he has put off in favor of doing other things. And the world keeps turning.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Blu-Ray.com on Shout! Factory's Herzog set

Most of the films appear to be from older transfers that have some noise and filtering built-in, but nothing horrible like a typical Universal no-effort video master. However, the BFI release of Nosferatu is apparently less filtered, so we'll have to see if there's major differences on that set.

Cancelled my pre-order, disappointing.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Neo_Reloaded posted:

How much can Fox make from catalog Blu-ray sales of the original Star Wars...

It'll probably end up in the top 10 of most sold blu-rays in that year, so a lot I guess?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Trump posted:

It'll probably end up in the top 10 of most sold blu-rays in that year, so a lot I guess?

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

I guess the last set did sell pretty well (better than I initially thought). I'm not sure how many people really care about theatrical vs. revised, and whether that means a 2nd release will sell better or worse than the first. I do suppose it'd make a nice chunk of change if the numbers are similar to last time, but I still imagine Disney could make it worth their while somehow. Even if Fox is the one to make money off the discs, I feel like Disney would want them released mostly for the good will it'd bring to the whole franchise.

Obviously all armchair quarterbacking on my part. Shame that the 4K scan being shown off is the special editions, but I hope they figure out how to do right by these films once and for all.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 21, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Man, I don't own anything on that chart until Inception, and I own like... 400-450 titles.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

And that is indeed a time and energy commitment - one that he has put off in favor of doing other things. And the world keeps turning.

You have to admit the fact that The Abyss has never seen an anamorphic release is loving pathetic.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ApexAftermath posted:

You have to admit the fact that The Abyss has never seen an anamorphic release is loving pathetic.

It's been played on TV in HD, kinda like how True Lies got a D-Theater release once upon a time.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's been played on TV in HD, kinda like how True Lies got a D-Theater release once upon a time.

Well yeah it's FINALLY been played on tv in HD as in the last several months. I'm assuming the HD remaster was finally released to Showtime and the other networks. Before that even when HBO played it on HBO HD it was still the 4:3 SD version being upscaled. It was ugly as sin obviously.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
And it's still the edited cut that removes all the social commentary. I won't be happy until I have a full HD uncut release.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What kind of cuts were made to the movie initially? I don't think I've heard of that before.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

quote:

"The sequence with the aliens in their underwater ship has been greatly extended and now involves a whole extra twist to the plot. When Bud is taken inside their ship, they show him an assortment of images on a giant screen. The first few images are of the news reports about the NATO and Russian military buildups. Bud realizes that the aliens can pick up our television signals and have been monitoring our TV stations.

The next report is a seismologist discussing heavy seismic signals coming from the earth's oceans towards the coasts of every continent. Bud is then shown an image of yet another TV report, this time an on-location report on a beach where an enormous tidal wave, thousands of feet high, is heading towards the shore. People are running and screaming in panic as the wave gets closer. Bud realizes that it is the aliens who are controlling this wave: "you guys are doing this! You have the power to control water!"

He asks why they are doing this, and the aliens respond by showing him images of nuclear weapons exploding and causing destruction. Bud realizes that the aliens are concerned about the recent military buildup and the possibility of a nuclear war. He asks "where do you get off passing judgment on us? How do know they'll actually do it?" The aliens then show him various images depicting the horrors of war, all the images are from the great wars in human history. This shows that the aliens have monitored our TV for many years and know that mankind has a tendancy [sic] for war.

We then see shots of the huge tidal wave increasing in size and approaching coastlines all over the world, including New York and San Francisco. People are panicking and fleeing in terror, and then the wave suddenly slows to a stop and hangs in the air, seemingly suspended in time. Citizens stare in awe at the giant wave, and then it begins receed [sic] and back away from the coast.

People shout and cheer as the wave moves away. Bud turns to the aliens and asks "you could've done it, why didn't you?" This is where the scene started in the theatrical version, with the aliens showing Bud that they were monitoring his typed conversations with the surface."

Broadcast only shows the edited versions, which I swear I remember reading Cameron said he was very unhappy about, but I can't find it now for the life of me. The trimmed part being omitted essentially ruins the entire message of the film.

Back when the special edition of The Abyss came out they put it back in, and redid all the CG now that ILM had become the CG powerhouse that it did. Cameron used his Terminator 2 money to have the now-insanely-powerful ILM redo all the CG.

edit: here's the original script with the above sequence intact

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 22, 2014

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

What kind of cuts were made to the movie initially? I don't think I've heard of that before.

Oh man you gotta see the extended cut. The theatrical just seems incoherent by comparison.

EDIT: There's also quite a few scene extensions and extra little parts throughout the rest of the film if I recall. It's been so long since I've seen the special edition since there is no good way to watch it right now. I have the dvd sitting on my shelf, but I'd rather just wait for this loving blu ray to finally drop so it can feel really new when I watch it.

I hope they port over all the dvd special feature material too as the making of docs are really really good and capture just how tense that set was. Pretty sure Ed Harris knocked Cameron the gently caress out when he got too intense directing the resuscitation scene where Bud slaps Lindsey during CPR.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 22, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ApexAftermath posted:

I hope they port over all the dvd special feature material too as the making of docs are really really good and capture just how tense that set was. Pretty sure Ed Harris knocked Cameron the gently caress out when he got too intense directing the resuscitation scene where Bud slaps Lindsey during CPR.

Wasn't there a story about Cameron loving around with the oxygen supply for a scene?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Actually I think I've only ever seen the extended cut, I don't remember not seeing the war message at the end. And yeah, I would rather wait for a blu ray instead of watching the DVD again :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The theatrical cut ending of The Abyss has the same effect as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ32JchVno

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I can't wait for this to hit blu-ray after it's theatrical run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgDSKHv9jQ

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TheJoker138 posted:

I can't wait for this to hit blu-ray after it's theatrical run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IgDSKHv9jQ

Is this going to be any better than the previous blu-ray?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver has a review up for the German Blu-Ray of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Is this going to be any better than the previous blu-ray?

It's a brand new 4k master that Hooper oversaw. All the early reports are it looks even better than it did in it's original run.

• Locked thread