Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

For $1.95 I will send or receive a PM on your behalf, or you can buy a season pass to my PM relay service for $8.95.

Also I am selling used PMs for $1.85, or $1.75 with your Goonstop card.

How much is that in Microsoft Points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.

Creepy Goat posted:

And for UI work how would you go about getting your foot in the door from doing iOS & web apps to in-game UI design? Everything seems to ask for in-game experience, which is obviously a PITA to get unless you're in a studio-rich area with a lot of short contracts going for mobile games & indie stuff. I ask because a friend sent me a bunch of links to mid-level web & UI jobs at a couple big dev studios. They sounded far more appealing than what I do now, plus it would be nice to have something to aim for. I'm just not sure where to focus on developing of my skills to ensure I have a good chance of nabbing a job like that in the future.

If the only thing stopping you from applying is the game experience requirement, just ignore it, apply anyway. Web apps and iOS stuff count, as long as your duties on those were pretty similar to the job you're applying for. Plenty of UI people are poached from other industries. I was a graphic designer for five years or so before discovering that UI jobs in games were a thing and landed a gig as a UI artist.

P.S. that was about five years ago, and recently I was made a game designer! NO MORE ICONS FOR ME, BABY

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Studio posted:

You'll need the Horse Armor DLC Joke Kit which I can supply for $9.99

I bought the Horse Armor DLC Joke Kit: Collector's Edition for 199.99 and it doesn't even come with horse armor DLC jokes. Just this empty box and an art book.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

icking fudiot posted:

I think DayZ takes elements carefully from that space but there's also a lot it doesn't carry over that I think theflyingorc is getting at. Week long camps of the same NPC for rare drops, groups of players camping around the clock to get boss spawns, etc. There is a nostalgia for mechanics that when held up to modern scrutiny don't do so well. DayZ obviously proves that 'Hardcore' can still resonate, but I would still argue it makes concessions for time and accessibility (incidentally or intentionally) that EQ and games of its ilk never did.

Archeage is an interesting point of reference. It is more of a sandbox PVP mmo with a thin themepark veneer glued on. I thought it was great until I realized that down the line it would just be survival of the biggest assholes with the most time to spend griefing. Cool experiment though.

Oh, I see. Yeah screw a lot of those old mechanics haha. Still, there's a lot of things I really miss from pre-WOW MMO's that will generally not be tried anymore in the "traditional MMO" space because the formula's been more or less locked in place due to risk aversion/whatever.

I agree with Paniolo's prediction. More mainstream games will likely start adopting more MMO elements, much like the adoption of RPG elements in shooters. I can especially imagine the Dark Souls style of this getting popular.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

How much is that in Microsoft Points?

560 MS points, which you can purchase from me in 1600 point increments for $20 or 30GBP

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Kepa posted:

I agree with Paniolo's prediction. More mainstream games will likely start adopting more MMO elements, much like the adoption of RPG elements in shooters. I can especially imagine the Dark Souls style of this getting popular.
Yeah, thinking about it, this seems totally reasonable. The Desiny argument is particularly compelling, since oh hey, that's... pretty much an evolved Planetside, with tons of WoW/Rift mechanics thrown in where they work.

Consequently, it's also an "MMO" I'm super excited for, so, yay. Though the initial reviews haven't been good, it sounds kinda soulless? We'll see.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"MMO elements" showed up in mainstream games the instant XP bars showed up in multiplayer FPS games.

Then came the unlockable cosmetics, just kill this dragon play 1000 hours for the most fabulous hat. :suicide:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

560 MS points, which you can purchase from me in 1600 point increments for $20 or 30GBP

It's okay I'm going to buy the points off a shady .ru website I'm sure it's fine to give them my CC#.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

xzzy posted:

"MMO elements" showed up in mainstream games the instant XP bars showed up in multiplayer FPS games.

Then came the unlockable cosmetics, just kill this dragon play 1000 hours for the most fabulous hat. :suicide:

I count the real start of "MMO elements" showing up in mainstream games as when I first noticed COLLECT 10 BOAR PELTS style quests getting popular in singleplayer games.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
You all are making me mad that Tabula Rasa was cancelled.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Kepa posted:

I count the real start of "MMO elements" showing up in mainstream games as when I first noticed COLLECT 10 BOAR PELTS style quests getting popular in singleplayer games.

Those kinds of quests aren't a pillar of MMOs so much as they are a function of having a huge world and needing to fill it with cheap content.

Dark Souls is a really good example of what it looks like when MMO mechanics diffuse into an action RPG.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

xzzy posted:

I can mostly put up with those, but I want to load every last lockbox into a dumpster and blast it into the sun.

Phantasmal posted:

When it comes to PvP environments, this type of player is the one playing thousands of hours of bots games in Dota or LoL as their only interaction with the game. For them there's a distinction between failure at a particular, faceless task and being the loser in a competitive exchange, and barring some major outlook change the former is infinitely more tolerable.
I haven't seen something like the Primal Earth grinder, though I have seen plenty of the "my time is free" crowd, especially in Eve-O. DotA/LoL are also kind of special cases because losing in them is a very drawn-out process.

I don't think it's all-or-nothing though. A lot of the barriers have nothing to do with success or failure, but rather, the logistics of getting a group together, the difficulty of communicating effectively, and in many cases, the ineffectiveness of the stock UI.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Leif. posted:

If only NCSoft wasn't loving awful and didn't..you know, screw Garriott over while he was being cool in space. If only.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Leif. posted:

I'm with ya, man. Diamond in the rough.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
On a unrelated note, anyone have any good resources for understanding the types of technologies that are involved in Game AI (rather than generalized AI resources)? Recruiter found me some positions related to AI programming, and if I get them to talk to me, I'd hate to sound stupid.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

theflyingorc posted:

On a unrelated note, anyone have any good resources for understanding the types of technologies that are involved in Game AI (rather than generalized AI resources)? Recruiter found me some positions related to AI programming, and if I get them to talk to me, I'd hate to sound stupid.

There is apparently a really good game AI community out there but requires that you have been credited on at least one game as an AI programmer to gain access to the sites resources for free. I think it may be AiGameDev.com but I'm unsure.

EDIT:
Nope. It's actually http://www.gameai.com/ that I'm thinking of.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

xgalaxy posted:

There is apparently a really good game AI community out there but requires that you have been credited on at least one game as an AI programmer to gain access to the sites resources for free. I think it may be AiGameDev.com but I'm unsure.

EDIT:
Nope. It's actually http://www.gameai.com/ that I'm thinking of.

ARGH the games I've done AI work on either never updated their original credits or weren't released.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

waffledoodle posted:

If the only thing stopping you from applying is the game experience requirement, just ignore it, apply anyway. Web apps and iOS stuff count, as long as your duties on those were pretty similar to the job you're applying for. Plenty of UI people are poached from other industries. I was a graphic designer for five years or so before discovering that UI jobs in games were a thing and landed a gig as a UI artist.

P.S. that was about five years ago, and recently I was made a game designer! NO MORE ICONS FOR ME, BABY

Huh I'll give it a go then. Put me in a similar boat to you, I went from print design to front-end web since no one in the studio seemed to be able to do it right, then front-end to handling all the UI stuff since no one seemed to be able to get that stuff right either. Now I'm freelance doing web apps & mobile UIs, but I'd like to get a bit more experience under my belt so I can hopefully jump in with a studio I actually like rather than 'whoever is hiring'.

It's actually fun looking through job postings because I'm always ooohing & ahhhing at studios who've produced content or worked on projects that I recognise/have played.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

theflyingorc posted:

ARGH the games I've done AI work on either never updated their original credits or weren't released.
List them anyway. If an interviewer thinks that it's an interesting point, then they'll ask you questions about it. What you've worked on is easy enough to establish through your employment history, which is ironically easier to get hold of than the full credits reel of most games too. (Nevermind things like MMOs that don't even have credit reels.)

E: regarding this:

OneEightHundred posted:

I'll see if I can get some more information to share on Monday.
Sorry for this taking a while. I asked about it and the answer I got was basically what I said in the first place, which is that you should apply for the Senior GPP position if you're interested. You can PM me your resume if you really want, but it's not going to be any better or worse for you than going through the normal application process.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 18, 2014

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I have a pitch in at the moment for an MMO(ish) game. I really hope it gets greenlit by the powers that be because I'm super excited to design it :allears:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well its that wonderful time of the year. My contract is over in less than two weeks. Ah it was a good ride at Namco. Least I won't have to see dark souls 2 for some time.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Shindragon posted:

Well its that wonderful time of the year. My contract is over in less than two weeks. Ah it was a good ride at Namco. Least I won't have to see dark souls 2 for some time.
I take it it's a layoff but without any severance, basically? :(

Dang dude, sorry to hear that.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Akuma posted:

I have a pitch in at the moment for an MMO(ish) game. I really hope it gets greenlit by the powers that be because I'm super excited to design it :allears:

High five pitching buddy! :pcgaming: :hf: :smaug:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Shalinor posted:

I take it it's a layoff but without any severance, basically? :(

Dang dude, sorry to hear that.

Except you knew the date beforehand because it was outlined in your contract.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Actually it didn't. It said 4 to 6 months. I mean certain things happening for Dark Souls 2 changed things but eh. I was sorta expecting it but at the same time I guess I thought it would end at least after the last dlc. But it was fun.

edit: I only knew my contract was up because I was informed that August was the last day for work.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Anyone around Casual Connect this week? I'll be up there Tues-Thurs.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Dang that really sucks, sorry to hear that.

Where are you located? If Namco is where I think it is you are close to Orange county? If you're looking for QA opportunities and aren't worried about moving further south send me a PM, we have listings for non-contract QA positions at the moment.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Dammit, we had two guys from Ready at Dawn at Beer Night last week and I couldn't remember which of you bums work there. They seemed to know who I was talking about though, saying "OH yeah, I know who you're talking about. I don't think we can say his name (looks to partner) but he's on there all the time."

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MegaShark is formerly of RAD. Sigma-X is currently of RAD. Both are irl rad.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Yay it's finally out! League of Legends Cinematic: A New Dawn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzHrjOMfHPY

Got to be anim lead on this fun rear end project! I love the world that Riot's slowly crafting together.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is anyone seeking designers or QA in the UK? My course ends mid-September and I'd like somewhere to go when my dissertation is finished. Will consider further away if the money and is right.

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
Question for Producers in the house:

I'm a year+ into my first stint as an Associate Producer/Game Designer for an ~*startup*~ that's developing a gamified web-based investing platform. I'm starting to look around job listings just to get a sense of what companies are going to be looking for when I'm ready to move on from this place (probably to another associate level position) and had a question about "shipped games" as a resume metric. If I'm working on a persistent single product, would I list major completed features instead? Obviously it's never going to be a complete boxed product but I've helmed some major improvements and features that would seem to be the closest equivalent.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Vote Sweeper 2000 posted:

I'm a year+ into my first stint as an Associate Producer/Game Designer for an ~*startup*~ that's developing a gamified web-based investing platform. I'm starting to look around job listings just to get a sense of what companies are going to be looking for when I'm ready to move on from this place (probably to another associate level position) and had a question about "shipped games" as a resume metric. If I'm working on a persistent single product, would I list major completed features instead? Obviously it's never going to be a complete boxed product but I've helmed some major improvements and features that would seem to be the closest equivalent.

Something like that, or distict milestones/releases. If it's episodic you could list those.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Game industry salary survey is up: http://www.gamasutra.com/salarysurvey2014.pdf?elq=d858bb409ed3416db46781d8ba7dff5e&elqCampaignId=6431

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Oh hey, they used my quote.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

waffledoodle posted:

I'M SO PROUD! :kiddo:

PxlWrm
Jul 23, 2014

I was hoping for better feedback...

Wow, where do I get jobs that pay THAT much?? I guess my 15 years experience game programming isn't enough...or maybe I just suck :P

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

PxlWrm posted:

Wow, where do I get jobs that pay THAT much?? I guess my 15 years experience game programming isn't enough...or maybe I just suck :P

You have to ask. And sometimes you have to move to another job. Sometimes you have to say no until you get in the right range.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Vote Sweeper 2000 posted:

You likely have a beta, a live launch, and then distinct major updates/pushes. Being able to speak to the challenges and processes behind those would be useful. Major Improvements and Features sound like there are probably some (but not all) large releases.

Shipping a game is a very large task that involves the entirety of the team, all elements of content, QA, code, etc. There are likely major releases you've had that do that, and some that are much more focused slices of your development team. The former is more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mega Shark posted:

You have to ask. And sometimes you have to move to another job. Sometimes you have to say no until you get in the right range.

And sometimes you have to move to California where you make a ton more but cost of living is also a ton more. You gotta be wary of the Salary Survey if you live anywhere except California or Seattle or San Francisco. The west coast hubs skew the averages.

MegaShark's response is much more useful, though.