Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I wonder how obscene the top-down silouhette is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Edit: The new Tyranid model from FW has some decent rules and isn't horribly priced. It’s eat rule is actually pretty beastly. It is similar to the old Red Terror rule where you just flat out eat a guy if you hit him (need one 6 to-hit instead of 4 hits). Bravo, FW. I retract my statement that its rules would be almost unusable and would be super overpriced.

I'm going to try running it with a proxy model, but I'm really skeptical. It suffers the same issue as many assault units; if it can't get into assault, what good is it? What good is a ton of high strength, good AP hits if you never get to use them?

It's the same issue with genestealers. A full squad will murder just about anything in close combat, but getting a full squad to survive long enough to actually attack is almost never going to happen when every basic gun in the game, except lasguns, cuts through them like butter.

This is why I say that losing the mycetic spore was the biggest hit nids took. That loss of mobility was huge.

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 21, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't understand how that FW Tyranid isn't a biotitan, in the images it looks larger than a Revenant

Also, the Stormwolf looks a lot better than the Stormfang

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Edit: The new Tyranid model from FW has some decent rules and isn't horribly priced. It’s eat rule is actually pretty beastly. It is similar to the old Red Terror rule where you just flat out eat a guy if you hit him (need one 6 to-hit instead of 4 hits). Bravo, FW. I retract my statement that its rules would be almost unusable and would be super overpriced.

There's quite a few Tyranid units with decent melee rules. However they largely share the same issue... getting there alive. If the Dimachaeron had been Carnifex or Hive Tyrant-sized (and priced as such), I'd probably pick up at least one. At that scale you could quite easily sneak it up alongside a T-fex / Venomthrope combo and keep it out of sight of the biggest guns. Unfortunately it's Knight-sized, but without the durability or movement to match. It looks to be at least 8" tall, so very little terrain is going to obscure it completely. That means virtually any weapon will be able to draw a line of sight, and it's gonna be tough just getting 25% sometimes.

At the end of the day it suffers from the same afflictions as nearly all our melee units - there has been no thought put into getting the creature into combat. The FNP bonus kicks in too late to be really useful, it needs the survivability for the first 2-3 turns it's trudging slowly across the board. Outflank would have been really useful and resolve a lot of issues, but nope. Then as a final nail in the coffin, it's pure melee unit with an anti-infantry / character role that has no option for assault grenades.

I don't get why FW didn't either:
a) Make it on a smaller scale, or
b) Give it GC rules / toughness, and cost it as such (300pts+)

On the bright side, the Stonecrusher rules look decent enough, and the Malanthrope just shook off 8 years of terrible rules by becoming a must-take option. It's really, really good. Flyrant good.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

If the Emperor was so great, he wouldn't have died on a toilet.

He's not dead. He's just on a really good run of Angry Birds on his smart phone.

SRM posted:

Here, have some rules sort of:

Personally, I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I thought the Stormraven would have a hard time getting off the ground, but this is even sillier. It's cool but not cool enough for me to break out my Space Wolves again.

Hahah I love the whole thing. I don't care what others think! There's a TREMENDOUS amount of conversion potential here too....

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

He's not dead. He's just on a really good run of Angry Birds on his smart phone.
Angry Stormeagles

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Ghost Hand posted:

Hahah I love the whole thing. I don't care what others think! There's a TREMENDOUS amount of conversion potential here too....

Yeah! I can see why others would dislike it by I love just how Space Wolfy it is.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 21, 2014

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
You know how the Stormraven is designed to look like a descending fist? That thing is designed to look like a wolf's head. And it is terrible.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Here, have some rules sort of:

I love this thing for the stupid souped-up dog-headed battering ram it is. It's a moot point since I don't play Space Wolves, but :allears:

I'm actually painting up a Nephilim right now since it looks really cool. It's overpriced, but I figure it'll be able to tear apart my friend's stormtalons no problem. The Dark Talon, however, is a hilarious pile of garbage that needs a complete overhaul.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Safety Factor posted:

I love this thing for the stupid souped-up dog-headed battering ram it is. It's a moot point since I don't play Space Wolves, but :allears:

I'm actually painting up a Nephilim right now since it looks really cool. It's overpriced, but I figure it'll be able to tear apart my friend's stormtalons no problem. The Dark Talon, however, is a hilarious pile of garbage that needs a complete overhaul.

Or they'll tear you apart and then actually do something useful with their universally better and cheaper guns.

I think I'm just going to run my Dark Angels with an unbound detachment of spacewolves so I can have a cool looking flyer with terrible rules that counts as the terrible-looking flyer with really good rules.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I never said the logic behind the model was good, only that its rules are actually usable as intended. That is to say, you have a very good chsnce of outright eating a model in CC.
It's still a Super Genestealer and suffers from their unplayable-ness but at least it will have a real jean collection this time.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
If you're fielding a super assault Tyranid army, it's a good choice in a world of mediocre choices. I don't care what people say, three W6 MC models with good armor, potential for strong regeneration, and insane attacks for 600pts will put a lot of pressure on the opponent. It's the price and toughness of a Tervigon while being vastly more dangerous.

Personally I'd never run them because I prefer Flyers (and would never pay FW prices for a model I dislike), but I can see them being good if you pile them on.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So I was reading a Spanish blog that had a post about the WH40K Open Day and it mentioned that plastic Sisters of Battle were planned. Can anyone confirm this? The guy uses BolS and Mexican Ork as his sources, so I have my doubts.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

NTRabbit posted:

Morkanught/Gorkanught, Stormfang/Stormwolf, it's officially the 7th thing. Looking forward to my eventual Storm Wraith/Storm Serpent 6 capacity hover support transport.

Hah, look at this rube who thinks he's gonna get new Falcon variants. :v:

The SW flier looks decent to me. In addition to looking like a giant flying dog's head, it gives me a bit of a longship vibe. There should be an option for the embarked unit to hang their storm shields on the side.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Man, you will have a hell of a time trying to get LoSight with those lascannons/missiles on the top. Basically anti-flier only weapons.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Man, you will have a hell of a time trying to get LoSight with those lascannons/missiles on the top. Basically anti-flier only weapons.

Model it doing a barrel roll. :v:

I'm sure some idiot is going to do this.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ghost Hand posted:

That would explain the power requirements of his "golden throne".

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Direwolf posted:

Or they'll tear you apart and then actually do something useful with their universally better and cheaper guns.

I didn't say it was a good plan. :v: One of my friends runs that stupid stormraven/two stormtalon formation and as long as the Nephilim comes on after them it should be able to get the jump on at least one thing before dying horribly. I've had the model since it came out and I just want to try it again. It's not like I have any other anti-air beyond blind-firing heavy weapons into the sky and hoping for the best.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Slimnoid posted:

The Defiler, mostly. It's too expensive for what it does, although some people swear by it. The Forgefiend is a bit questionable since it could potentially blow itself up, but it can cause a lot of damage too.

Thanks, after months of hemming and hawing I finally decided to just do it and pre-ordered the new DV box to play in an escalation league at a nearby newly opened store. Are there any good SM/CSM kits to pick up for a variety of weapons for conversions or is ebay the best bet for that?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

I didn't say it was a good plan. :v: One of my friends runs that stupid stormraven/two stormtalon formation and as long as the Nephilim comes on after them it should be able to get the jump on at least one thing before dying horribly. I've had the model since it came out and I just want to try it again. It's not like I have any other anti-air beyond blind-firing heavy weapons into the sky and hoping for the best.

Don't forget that the Nephilim got slightly better in 7E because they fixed Missile Lock. It's still weak for the points, but at least that's a little boost.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

radlum posted:

So I was reading a Spanish blog that had a post about the WH40K Open Day and it mentioned that plastic Sisters of Battle were planned. Can anyone confirm this? The guy uses BolS and Mexican Ork as his sources, so I have my doubts.

It'll be chinese-whisper clickbait again. A guy on Dakka posted an account of the Q&A session, and it was basically a case of people requesting their pet projects and the designers saying "we'd like to do that", rather than "we plan to do that". Here's the post:

quote:

So yesterday I went to the 40K Open Day and went to both seminar sessions, and I just thought I would mention a couple of things that came up over the course of the day.

New Stuff
Frankly, there was nothing new apart from a few things from Forgeworld. They could only discuss what has been released, which in this case was about Santcus Reach. There wasn't many questions about this in the seminars I was in apart from a discussion about campaigns.

The Release Schedule
They spoke a little bit about the Release Schedule and why they have switched to a weekly one, with Phil Kelly saying he was amazed they haven't done it before. This allows them at the studio to bring out more content and pick up different things, rather than concentrating on an army block at a time and trying to shoe horn things into the release.

If you read between the lines, you can see this is one of the reasons why we now have unbound armies in 7th edition as it allows them to work on something which they get an urge to do and then release it, instead of sitting on the idea for a few years. The impression I got from the seminars that a lot of the content was driven by the writers/sculptors now and would be based upon things they wanted to work on.

They briefly touched upon things which might happen. For example, somebody asked about Sisters of Battle and Jez said while he would love to do something for them he wasn't sure it is something that would happen soon as an army, as he would really want to commit to the project like he did with Dark Eldar. He didn't rule out a Dataslate and possibility of a plastic kit but not sure if this is him thinking aloud and is something he wants to do, or if it is something he is working on. A few more things that were mentioned....

Timeline - The usual timeline question was brought up (by GW as a warm up question). Will the timeline move forwards? No as they like the tension that is being built up at the moment. They will however look at past battles and explore those more with new models and formations/lists. The Eye of Terror campaign was mentioned and it was asked why they backtracked the story. The answer was they liked how we are at the cliff edge and not sure what could happen but it looks grim, but they also said they weren't happy with how players could submit fake results.

Primarchs - Somebody asked about the 'missing' Primarchs and Daemon Primarchs and Phil said if you looked at the Chaos background now, it was a possibility of the Daemon Primarchs appearing more due to the path Abbaddon is forging to try and expand the Eye of Terror past Cadia. So there is a chance they might bring out something covering a battle where a Daemon Primarch appears....

Speed Freaks - This was said quite a few times, so I suspect we may see something about them coming out at some point

Eldar Exodites - Another something they would love to do and is a bit closer to being reality due to new release schedule and if one of the sculptors were really interested in it

Missing Models - Somebody asked about missing models such as the special characters from the Nid codex. Jez pointed out that technically they weren't missing but the reason they weren't included was because they didn't want people buying a codex and wanting to use something from it they couldn't buy from the store. However he did say that good ideas weren't thrown away and they do get looked at again. I took this as a hint we may see a model at some point and some rules. Somebody did say what about Farseers on Jetbikes, but they glossed over this which is not surprising considering the Chapterhouse legal battle!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PeterWeller posted:

Don't forget that the Nephilim got slightly better in 7E because they fixed Missile Lock. It's still weak for the points, but at least that's a little boost.

Except it doesn't have Missile Lock. It was left in the army list section for some reason and got FAQ'd out. It's still FAQ'd out in 7th edition. I agree that it could've been a cool little boost, but it's not to be. :smith:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Safety Factor posted:

There's always the Mortis-Pattern and Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnoughts for anti-air.

PeterWeller posted:

They deleted Missile Lock in Dark Angels FAQ, so what exactly makes them better?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Well clearly I forgot they lost missile lock in the FAQ.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PeterWeller posted:

Well clearly I forgot they lost missile lock in the FAQ.

Removing it from the entry list made little sense. It's not like it was terribly GOOD at its job even with the rule there, particularly for the point cost.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

xtothez posted:

On the bright side, the Stonecrusher rules look decent enough, and the Malanthrope just shook off 8 years of terrible rules by becoming a must-take option. It's really, really good. Flyrant good.

Where did you get the rules for those models? I can't find them anywhere?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

They have been leaked from the 2nd edition of IA4, which is out soon.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

A guy at the Tyranid Hive has been posting stuff from the book, it's where that picture of the Dimachaeron rules came from.

quote:

The Meiotic Spores are still in :) They're like more powerful Spore Mines that release D3+1 mines if they miss...

quote:

The Stonecrusher: 30pts more than a standard 'Fex, +1S, -1A, otherwise same as a normal carnifex

1-3, MC. Carapace Chitin-rams & pair of Wrecker claws as standard. Can swap claws for Claw & Flail & can take spine banks, bio-plasma & scythe/mace tail 'morphs.

Reinforced Carapace: all ranged hits are -1S when rolling to wound.
Other three standard 'Fex special rules.

Wrecker Claws: AP 1, Wrecker, Sunder.
Wrecker: re-roll all failed pen rolls vs fortifications & immobile structures & +1 on building damage chart. If destroying walls/bulkheads as terrain remove that terrain piece.
Sunder: re-rolls all failed pen rolls (all targets).

Wrecker Claw & Flail: AP1 Sweep Attack, Instant Death
Sweep Attack: instead of use the model's A stat in melee, make number of attacks equal to models in base contact

Carapace Chitin-rams: All HOW attacks are AP2. Also when targeted against a building, fortification & any ground vehicle all HOW attacks gain Armourbane and when targeted vs MCs & GCs that are not swooping gains the Monster Hunter USR.

quote:

Malanthrope: Elite instead of HQ. Units of 1-3 at 85pts each.

Infantry, T5 W4 3+

Tox miasma, Regen, Fleet, MTC, Shrouded, poisoned 2+, synapse, shadow,
spore cloud (same rule as Venomthropes)
prey adaption & grasping tail. Tail gives a 50/50 chance to halve opponent's attacks and drop Init to 1 in a challenge.

Look at that last one. It's like combining a Prime with a Venomthrope and putting it on crack, for less points.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So sell all Venomthropes, buy three Malanthropes.

Got it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

TKIY posted:

So sell all Venomthropes, buy three Malanthropes.

Got it.

It's a unit so good I bought it seven years in advance!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Of course there's a whole web forum dedicated to Tyranids, why didn't I think to look for one before?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PierreTheMime posted:

Same, I've had one since just after release, and never even stripped the release agent off it.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Lungboy posted:

It's out now, ordered my copy this morning.

E: if it gets an effect in challenges, what if that means its a character, or even an IC?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 21, 2014

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

I got my 3rd one back January!

That being said how does the half attacks and I1 in a challenge work if the thing isn't a character?

Edit:
So, the new nid can be fantasitc as a vehicle breaker. If it hits a vehicle on a 6 then it does an automatic S10 AP1 attack. Does AP1 still give +2 to the Damage Roll?

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 21, 2014

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Has there been any information on the Elysian list? The list in IA3 2nd Edition was pretty bare-bones, and I was hoping the D-99 list might have some more substance.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
More pictures of the Storm Wulf:

Lots of conversion potential here as a bunker, wall, storage crate, or piece of terrain

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Cataphract posted:

I just paid $50 for the stormclaw ork warboss. I already own 7 other warboss models. I give no fucks.

Dude, there is still a copy of the Stormfang boxed set at Good Games Townhall. Shoulda bought that and flipped the rest.

And what the gently caress is the go with the Grot Orderly pics having MS paint spray paint over the rules? Are these like purposefully leaked images from GW?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Internet grognards are ridiculous about posting rules so there's that.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Lungboy posted:

Out now...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_VOLUME_FOUR_THE_ANPHELION_PROJECT_SECOND_EDITION.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
So, the Wolf glyphs are all optional, right?

Because the Wolffart whatever looks far more capable of carrying 5 Terminators for my Red River Army.

BULBASAUR posted:

More pictures of the Storm Wulf:

Lots of conversion potential here as a bunker, wall, storage crate, or piece of terrain

Jesus christ, best space game. Whoever gave you Hitler-sann and a giant wall of red text... do you want me to buy you a replacement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrW4jkQdmjI

• Locked thread