Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Having explosions in space is fine, having sound in space is fine, having a hundred other things happen that shouldn't be able to in space is fine. Woah there a floating hand that doesn't adhere to the very strict rules of science I've now just acquired? JJ you done fell off man.

I really don't get the hate. Who the hell cares. It works perfectly fine within the bendy science logic that already exists within in the SW universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Having explosions in space is fine, having sound in space is fine, having a hundred other things happen that shouldn't be able to in space is fine. Woah there a floating hand that doesn't adhere to the very strict rules of science I've now just acquired? JJ you done fell off man.

I really don't get the hate. Who the hell cares. It works perfectly fine within the bendy science logic that already exists within in the SW universe.

Yeah star wars have never given a gently caress about any sort of science, as seen by all the space wizards, and I think it could definitely a cool intro visual if they do it right.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah it sounds bizarre and fantastic and more inspired than anything Star Wars has done since 1980.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
It sounds stupid and excessive and attention-grabbing. Star Wars doesn't need more violence or any of that, it needs someone that can actually direct a good PG-rated movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Lucas and his cinematographers used a still camera almost exclusively, no?

That would be a big stylistic change.

Nah, it's more mostly swoops and pans and fairly steady camera maneuvers as opposed to the shakier stuff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I meant 'steady' not 'still'.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrBigglesworth posted:

That's a Z-95 Headhunter right there!

Two blasters on the tips of the wings. It's not a Headhunter, though the wings tricked me too for a second.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does the camera shake with Echo Base is being bombed in ESB? I think it does.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

Does the camera shake with Echo Base is being bombed in ESB? I think it does.

Inside the space worm's belly is the Bourne Ultimatum of the Star Wars universe.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How would a space worm even exist???! What is it eating? Where is the moisture from? How does it stay warm when the asteroid is probably like negative 1 million degrees? It doesn't make SENSE.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was this posted yet? Footage of the new X-Wings.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=783460195038917

EDIT: Not footage but a reveal of a practical X-Wing.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

euphronius posted:

How would a space worm even exist???! What is it eating? Where is the moisture from? How does it stay warm when the asteroid is probably like negative 1 million degrees? It doesn't make SENSE.

A space worm is a demonic presence, like Giger's Alien. It's beyond those concerns.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

euphronius posted:

It's not impossible to think evolution could occour within a large asteroid field. There is ice for water, organic chemical compounds within the asteroids, and sunlight from the nearest star. A whole ecosystem would exist with all other kinds of space plants, animals, bacteria, viruses, etc. as far as the temp the life of space would have enzymes which react at the temperature of the asteroids.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

A space worm is a demonic presence, like Giger's Alien. It's beyond those concerns.

Space worms suckin dicks. Is that from the cancelled Dune project?

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

It's not impossible to think evolution could occour within a large asteroid field. There is ice for water, organic chemical compounds within the asteroids, and sunlight from the nearest star. A whole ecosystem would exist with all other kinds of space plants, animals, bacteria, viruses, etc. as far as the temp the life of space would have enzymes which react at the temperature of the asteroids.

And I'm sure all of this was considered when the screenplay was written.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

I know i was making fun of the the floating hand stuff earlier.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
For a moment I thought I was still in the comic book movie thread and these spoilers were for Guardians of the Galaxy and man, I was confused. Then I thought about it and now I'm sad GotG wont start that way, and then Hooked on a Feeling starts playing.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

euphronius posted:

We have creatures alive right now on this planet that can survive the vacuum of space quite happily. Its not a stretch.

Also a piece of metal floating in space near to this planet will reach around 256 degrees Celsius in the sunlight, but will cool to -100 degrees in the shade. Far from - one million :)

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2014

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Raku posted:

It sounds stupid and excessive and attention-grabbing. Star Wars doesn't need more violence or any of that, it needs someone that can actually direct a good PG-rated movie.

Dude, it'll be PG-13. The OT would have been PG-13 if it had existed, and episode 1 and 2 only got PG because of reasons.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

Was this posted yet? Footage of the new X-Wings.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=783460195038917

EDIT: Not footage but a reveal of a practical X-Wing.

I hear they put actual engines on that thing and are going to fly it around rather than use CGI models for the dogfights.

euphronius posted:

Yeah I meant 'steady' not 'still'.

There were a few shaky camera maneuvers during the end battle in Episode II, but nothing extravagant.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Also a piece of metal floating in space near to this planet will reach around 256 degrees Celsius in the sunlight, but will cool to -100 degrees in the shade. Far from - one million :)

Please, God, let this be the last post about the science of a hand floating in space.

Lord, I know Goons are a spergy lot, but this thread tests even my patience.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The most interesting thing about the new video of the X-wing and pilot is that there's no recognizable insignia anywhere to indicate whether they're part of a continuing Rebellion or reconstituted Republic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Benedick Cuckold posted:

The most interesting thing about the new video of the X-wing and pilot is that there's no recognizable insignia anywhere to indicate whether they're part of a continuing Rebellion or reconstituted Republic.

Maybe they havent been final designed yet.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Benedick Cuckold posted:

I hear they put actual engines on that thing and are going to fly it around rather than use CGI models for the dogfights.

Um, what? Does that sound absolutely insane to anyone else?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mogomra posted:

Um, what? Does that sound absolutely insane to anyone else?

Not as insane as JJ's plan to film half of the movies IN space.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

euphronius posted:

Maybe they havent been final designed yet.

I just assumed they left them out for the video so plot details wouldn't be given away.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not as insane as JJ's plan to film half of the movies IN space.

Hey man, if you think about it....ALL movies are filmed in space.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I really like the look of that X-wing. It has that same aesthetic from the original trilogy of being a dinged and dirty fighter instead of clean and pristine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is the shown X wing different than the OT ones? I have not compared SSs but the engines look different and it looks flater.

edit

Yeah it is def an evolved design.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nerding out:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yeah, it looks streamlined and updated, but it still maintains the original aesthetic. It reminds me of the way they updated the Vipers for the BSG reboot.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

euphronius posted:

Nerding out:

And here's the one from Episode III.

They went from two engines, to four engines, and then back to two engines. It's like if razors started losing numbers of blades!

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
That's the strangest X-Wing, and I noticed something. The wing doesn't split down the middle on the front, it splits down the middle on the BROAD side.
Take another look:

loving weird, but cool as hell

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Red posted:

Please, God, let this be the last post about the science of a hand floating in space.

You will hear people complaining about this for decades.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neowyrm posted:

That's the strangest X-Wing, and I noticed something. The wing doesn't split down the middle on the front, it splits down the middle on the BROAD side.
Take another look:

loving weird, but cool as hell

Or the engine splits in two, like the old concept art.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Or both!

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

This is what I was attempting to illustrate, but I am terrible at drawing diagrams, apparently.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The engine does appear to have a seam down the middle when the camera is in close.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone able to grab a decent HD capture of that?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

You will hear people complaining about this for decades.

I doubt it's even accurate, so probably not.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

DrVenkman posted:

Explosions and sound and fighter dogfights in space are departures from reality we accept because they're cool. They also follow an internal logic: fighter battles in Star Wars resemble dogfights from WWII with formations, looping maneuvers to get on the other guy's six, etc. A hand falling through a planet's atmosphere and not burning up is just straight up calvinballing so you can tell your stupid story your way. They are not at all the same thing: your uncritical acceptance is as bad as the worst Wookiepedian sperging about TIE fighter engine loadouts and would let the writers off the hook for lazy bullshit.

e: the spaceworm is something they threw into the movie because, again, it's cool. It has no significant impact on the story. It's seen for five seconds and you could cut it out completely and change nothing in the plot. If you hinge the entire premise of your movie on some wacky bullshit that violates the laws of the universe as we know it, you had drat well better explain it.

e: vvv It's literally the opening to The Gods Must Be Crazy on Tattooine. I can't envision it happening non-comedically.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Counterpoint: a hand flying through an atmosphere without burning up is cool.

• Locked thread