Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

thathonkey posted:

The one interesting character development/moment was Kevin's wife trying to retrieve the gifted lighter. This shows that she doesn't actually believe there is no more family.

I think this is also the first time it is revealed that Tommy is not Kevin's biological son.

EDIT: Also lol at the misdirection of the season preview with the flaming arrows.

Knives and Hot Dust fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Eukodol posted:

I think the show might be just a smidgen more bearable if just one character wasn't a complete shithead to everybody else.

Yeah, with some of the characters the show chooses to follow there's just not enough I like or find interesting about them to offset how scummy and annoying they act. I wish the Mayor and Nora got some of the screentime devoted to the Sheriff's kids.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Why do you need someone to act righteous and pure to follow a story, exactly?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

hemophilia posted:

Why do you need someone to act righteous and pure to follow a story, exactly?

I don't.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Oh yeah, there is one character I like.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

savinhill posted:

Yeah, with some of the characters the show chooses to follow there's just not enough I like or find interesting about them to offset how scummy and annoying they act.
The priest and the chief are both at least well-written and interesting (and neither strikes me as scummy - they have good motivations but are simply flawed in various ways).

I must not be understanding the issue that you have with the characters because, like hemophilia, I'm left with the impression that the only characters you would like are purely virtuous ones. Frankly, those kinds of characters typically aren't interesting, because they're unrealistic and unrelatable.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah the storyline with Tommy and the pregnant asian girl are the only parts I don't like. Are we suppose to know what's going on with them? If I'm not, what reason do I have to care?

Everything else is interesting though.

And on not really having any likeable characters... I think it may be intentional. The Departure has made everyone miserable and not like themselves. They feel they are to blame for what happened. Just look at what happened when Kevin tried to crack a joke with the baby jesus on stage. The response was awkward and off.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Episode was a letdown after episode 3.

The theft of the baby Jesus doll is a little heavy handed in metaphorical weight even if it's realistic for a group of bored teens. The mystery was almost interesting but the police chief solved it immediately, and to have it be his daughter makes the town/narrative world feel small.

The realdoll comparison between manufactured babies and substitute corpses was cool, though I didn't even realize those were supposed to be dolls until I read this thread. They were presented like corpses ('cause they are, sort of) and I thought it was some sort of weird mass grave mystery setup.

The assembly line imagery in the opener was a glimpse into how commercial and manufactured sentiments can be. A cynical interpretation would say that it's all meaningless, which is the core tenet of the GR. The substitute corpses could be just as empty, though both of their existence and commercial success shows that people find meaning even in emptiness.

Christine and tommy are bad characters and the hospital scene doesn't make that much sense. Why couldn't Christine just exonerate him? Also you wouldn't scrape your knuckles against a pregnant belly, would you? Her naïveté and dream/faith/whatever are more frustrating than intriguing. 6 weeks is also a long period of time for Christine to go around telling everyone about Wayne without tommy chastising her.

I'm ok with the GR. Liv Tyler is much too precious for me but I like Jill. I also kind of like Nora, and Matt is of course awesome.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'm going to move to America and become a burglar because drat that poo poo looks easy.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Get ready to be castle doctrined to death.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

R. Mute posted:

I'm going to move to America and become a burglar because drat that poo poo looks easy.

I hope you have a screwdriver.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

R. Mute posted:

Not sure how big the show's town is, but in some small American towns it's still not that uncommon for people to leave their windows and even doors unlocked, not have security systems, etc.

But still, that scene where the GR are suddenly expert cat burglars was as stupid as it was implausible. I really want to like this show but this episode was the weakest so far by a long shot.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
This might be a stupid question, but is it possible the GR were breaking into their own (old) homes?

I don't have it taped to rewatch it and check. Would make a little bit of sense I guess.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Jill and LIv Tyler broke into Nora's home so no, but it did cover a lot of familiar other homes.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

This show is getting worse and worse. Sadly I will have to continue watching because my fiancé wants answers to all the dumb questions the show keeps bringing up. I don't think she's gonna get the answers she wants, just more questions. I don't know how anybody can rationalize leaving their family like Lori did. No "secret answer" the GR might have can possibly be good enough to see her daughter and still be a total bitch and not even speak to her. Doesn't she see the damage she is causing her own children? I got visibly frustrated watching the scene in the house. I guess that's good that the show gets a reaction out of me, but it's just frustrating and I'm definitely not enjoying myself.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did someone else make episode 3? Was it filmed after the rest of the season by an entirely different director? Episode 4 nose-dived right back to the slow and bland of episode 1 & 2 and I just don't get it. :psyduck:

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Just watched the episode, and I enjoyed it a lot. After reading this thread I don't know if I am the boring or wrong person or the people hate watching are. Lost really ruined television, didn't it?

Good episode, like the rest of you I am a bit confused about Tom and the pregnant Asian chick. Feels like there is more than enough in small town New York, without this weird distraction to the west. I guess the only good thing is we realize that poo poo is bad everywhere.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I can certainly understand not liking the show at this point but why do people keep acting like it keeps bringing up new mysteries and such?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Who has acted like that? I think the only mystery is that 2% disappeared and no one knows why. I think they people who are ok with the show, accept that and want to see what happens to the remainder. No mystery, just watching a summer social experiment.

I could be completely off on why others are enjoying this like I am.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I enjoyed the Game of Thrones funeral reenactment with the baby.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I could be completely off on why others are enjoying this like I am.

When the competition is fine television Tyrant and Under the Dome this show will have to do a lot worse to make me actually drop it. There really isn't anything better to watch except Defiance and maybe The Strain.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

When the competition is fine television Tyrant and Under the Dome this show will have to do a lot worse to make me actually drop it. There really isn't anything better to watch except Defiance and maybe The Strain.

Rectify

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, don't know how I missed this but I've got some catching up to do.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Xoidanor posted:

This is my thought. I'm not bumping mad men to record this, but television isn't great in the summer and this is easy above average to me.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Am I wrong or were the GR cat burglars targeting just those homes/photos of those that were beamed away? Or was it them just loving with people for...reasons?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Am I wrong or were the GR cat burglars targeting just those homes/photos of those that were beamed away? Or was it them just loving with people for...reasons?

You're correct. They were stealing every photo of people who had departed, leaving only empty frames. It makes me root for cops, and I am not used to rooting for cops.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Dirk Pitt posted:

You're correct. They were stealing every photo of people who had departed, leaving only empty frames. It makes me root for cops, and I am not used to rooting for cops.

Yeah, except for the Sheriff flexing his muscle to intimidate the twins into giving baby jesus back, the cops are the least realistic part of this show.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Tomahawk posted:

Yeah, except for the Sheriff flexing his muscle to intimidate the twins into giving baby jesus back, the cops are the least realistic part of this show.

That was intimidation? I thought he was just telling some kids to give back his baby jesus....

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Professor Shark posted:

The GR remind me a lot of the Goth kids from South Park. They don't care so much that they devote their entire waking lives to letting others know how much they don't care while pulling drags from their cigarettes.

This is so true, and makes me now just laugh at the GR instead of just being annoyed.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Dirk Pitt posted:

That was intimidation? I thought he was just telling some kids to give back his baby jesus....

Did you miss the part where he ran them off the road and threatened them or what

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ersatz posted:

The priest and the chief are both at least well-written and interesting (and neither strikes me as scummy - they have good motivations but are simply flawed in various ways).

I must not be understanding the issue that you have with the characters because, like hemophilia, I'm left with the impression that the only characters you would like are purely virtuous ones. Frankly, those kinds of characters typically aren't interesting, because they're unrealistic and unrelatable.

It's that some of the characters act like assholes, and not in an entertaining way, while also not really having anything interesting or exciting going on in their storylines, so its hard to like or root for those characters. Someone already pointed out the mother abandoning and shunning her kids; the daughter just acts all glum when she's not in gently caress-you-dad mode; and then there's Tom, who seems like an angry douche most of the time and has the further disadvantage of only interacting with another annoying character. I have no problem whatsoever with morally ambiguous, or even repugnant, characters as long as they're fun, interesting or entertaining to watch.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
All the good characters in this show:
Dean
Nora
Matt
Lucy
Aimee
Adam&Scott
Patti

Unlikable, boring assholes:
Everyone else.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Who's Matt?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The priest.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
If people are watching this show for "answers", they should probably stop. Im pretty sure the point is there are none and never will be any and the effect that has on people and society. Is that not incredibly obvious at this point?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

AccountSupervisor posted:

If people are watching this show for "answers", they should probably stop. Im pretty sure the point is there are none and never will be any and the effect that has on people and society. Is that not incredibly obvious at this point?

I'd much rather prefer a weekly roll call on which poster has given up for which egregious sjw offense.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

thathonkey posted:

Not sure how big the show's town is, but in some small American towns it's still not that uncommon for people to leave their windows and even doors unlocked, not have security systems, etc.

But still, that scene where the GR are suddenly expert cat burglars was as stupid as it was implausible. I really want to like this show but this episode was the weakest so far by a long shot.

For a show about 2% of the world's population vanishing, I'm not sure what it was about the burglary part that my suspension of disbelief choked on. I mean, not ONE of them caught in the act? It's not like they just broke in and took one thing and ran. They were carefully taking apart picture frames ffs. No dogs barking, no homeowner defending his property with a bat/shotgun. 100% success rate.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

savinhill posted:

some of the characters act like assholes, and not in an entertaining way, while also not really having anything interesting or exciting going on
Fair enough.

Dantu posted:

For a show about 2% of the world's population vanishing, I'm not sure what it was about the burglary part that my suspension of disbelief choked on.
The vanishing thing probably worked for you because it's ~magic~, which does not have or need rules unless and until they are established. GR didn't use ~magic~, they just had incredible luck, which is really stretching things for reasons you mention.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Apparently Sepinwall didn't see this episode, but he said the 3rd and 5th episodes were very good. I didn't think this episode was that good but the 3rd was fantastic so I'm going to keep with it.

Also I don't really get the need for characters to be likeable. A bunch of assholes are a lot more interesting than a bunch of good guys.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Good and rear end in a top hat is like a separate axis from boring and likeable.

• Locked thread