Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

lynx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cape Feare should have won an emmy

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google PR working hard to make people think they're good at design

http://www.subtraction.com/2014/07/18/google-robot-and-design-pr/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

that font looks like poo poo

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

kraftwerk singles posted:

the best browsers are safari and ie on their respective platforms

every time someone says this, someone finds a buffer overrun in ie

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
how long has google chrome been able to lower all the other application's sounds when it plays audio?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

quote:

the company feels that typefaces no longer have to be issued in the monolithic manner of metal type, and can instead be continually updated like any other software
this is how digital fonts are already treated lol
but no one really checks+upgrades, since changes also mean reworking documents if anything substantial changes,.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Boxturret posted:

how long has google chrome been able to lower all the other application's sounds when it plays audio?

did u lapse into chromeos??

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
it's not working now :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the chrome thing in windows is related to a
setting where p2p voice lowers other volumes or something it's a simple fix but fuxked up that it defaults to on not off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

this is how digital fonts are already treated lol
but no one really checks+upgrades, since changes also mean reworking documents if anything substantial changes,.

eternal beta, but for fonts

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
google does a good thing: Google Will No Longer Call Freemium Games “Free”

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

they are only doing it because the eu is making them, call me when they do this in america (they won't, without a court order)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cold on a Cob posted:

they are only doing it because the eu is making them, call me when they do this in america (they won't, without a court order)

of course, but they're still doing it.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

are games with ads still called "free" ?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple should do that too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

apple should do that too

agreed

Wheany posted:

of course, but they're still doing it.

lol @ giving someone credit for being bitchslapped by the courts

do you think a child rapist that is in prison and can't rape children anymore did a good thing too?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

apple should do that too
video-based ads - to "pay" for DLC - are banned in iOS 8, from what I understand from WWDC

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they should move all apps w/ iap out of the free section of the store. label them paid with demo.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
ya

free
paid
one-time iap
recurring iap
subscription

something like that i dunno

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

They should no longer call them "games"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

they should move all apps w/ iap out of the free section of the store. label them paid with demo.

lol the implosion of the iap "business model" is gonna be amazing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shifty Pony posted:

lol the implosion of the iap "business model" is gonna be amazing.
It'll own but it'll also inevitably be replaced with something even worse

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

daily button click EX-2 SUPER

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

ya

free
paid
one-time iap
recurring iap
subscription

something like that i dunno
~~season pass~~

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

paid AND iap :2bong:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ah yes, the EA model

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fabricated posted:

It'll own but it'll also inevitably be replaced with something even worse

"fill out this life insurance survey to get two more turns!"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Boxturret posted:

it depends how you open the audio stream and whether you've set a default communication device. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd940522(v=vs.85).aspx

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

"fill out this life insurance survey to get two more turns!"

they already do that--see Tiny Death Star

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Cardboard Box A posted:

Google is promising to fix a bug in Chrome for Windows that has been draining laptop batteries for years. The problem was first reported in 2010, but a recent investigation by Forbes has bumped the issue to the top of Google’s Chrome bug report list. Chrome’s battery drain problem affects Windows users as Google sets a parameter for processor-intensive tasks much lower than Microsoft recommends. The result means laptop processors are waking up far more often than they should when Chrome is open on Windows and a webpage is idle. Internet Explorer and Firefox don't exhibit the same battery drain problem.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/18/5914975/google-chrome-windows-laptop-battery-drain-fix

old but my fave part of this is that the reasoning for why this was ok was that flash and friends were already doing it and so chrome would be ok doing it too, since the system timer would already be set to 1ms: https://www.belshe.com/2010/06/04/chrome-cranking-up-the-clock/

quote:

At one point during our development, we were about to give up on using the high resolution timers, because they just seemed too scary. But then we discovered something. Using WinDbg to monitor Chrome, we discovered that every major multi-media browser plugin was already using this API. And this included Flash3, Windows Media Player, and even QuickTime. Once we discovered this, we stopped worrying about Chrome's use of the API. After all – what percentage of the time is Flash open when your browser is open? I don't have an exact number, but it's a lot. And since this API effects the system globally, most browsers are already running in this mode.

which sounds reasonable for a second but then you realize that the system timer affects thread scheduling across the entire os, so if your argument is "other things are already doing it" then there's no loving reason for you to ALSO do it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Avenging Dentist posted:

old but my fave part of this is that the reasoning for why this was ok was that flash and friends were already doing it and so chrome would be ok doing it too, since the system timer would already be set to 1ms: https://www.belshe.com/2010/06/04/chrome-cranking-up-the-clock/

which sounds reasonable for a second but then you realize that the system timer affects thread scheduling across the entire os, so if your argument is "other things are already doing it" then there's no loving reason for you to ALSO do it

also "we didn't actually check, but we had this hunch"

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

"we take notes from Adobe on how to design software"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the reason was actually "we get credit for faster performance while Microsoft gets blamed for bad battery life so double win"

same reason OS X now has a power use tab in activity monitor

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

power shaming in os x is a glorious thing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

is chrome ever not the culprit for you guys cause it always tops the list on mine

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
wow the thing shitlords like you use the most uses the most power on your computer??? how weird??

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i dont use chrome thx all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

wow the thing shitlords like you use the most uses the most power on your computer??? how weird??

fismech you're real aggressive lately is everything OK?

• Locked thread