Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sober posted:

Yeah I thought that was pretty loving stupid back then too.

Its such a bizarrely circuitous method of changing the actor but not the character. Although IIRC Power Rangers did something similar when they fired the original cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Deadpool posted:

As a result of pure happenstance a few us have stumbled upon the greatest television show ever made. We now present to you the new Official TV Series of TVIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCg26VZ0bQ

is this canon with the barkleyverse

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
The new season of Boardwalk Empire will take place in 1931

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C8kBuOUsqU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

STAC Goat posted:

It just seems like the right approach to a comic adaption. Comics live in that weird time period where Batman's been the same age for 50 years and all the major world changes still happen. Setting the show in the same kind of timeless place makes a lot of sense and gives you the same freedom comics have.

I don't know how Archer hasn't been brought up. That's what it reminds me of. And yes- it's definitely the right choice to do the series.

I remember this show, but can't remember at all what it's about. Ah memories.

FilthyImp posted:

If you're going for actual ripoffs, though, you best go right for the king :magical:
http://youtu.be/qmhRKU5zBS8

I have no recollection of this show and I've remembered nearly every 90's Saturday Morning shows.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

timp posted:

The new season of Boardwalk Empire will take place in 1931

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C8kBuOUsqU
I've heard conflicting or different reports of how the final season of BE is gonna go. But it's supposed to be 8 episodes long (seriously HBO?) and supposed to span whenever last season left off (1928 I believe?) all the way into 1933 or so? Well, either way, it sounds hosed up and I'm hoping they can stick to the landing but it seems like they have way too much to work with and so little runtime to do it with.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wow; they're gonna skip the Atlantic City Conference in 1929?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, holy gently caress I was wrong, season 4 ended in 1924.

MKW said there will be a 7 year difference in season 5, but not sure when or how the jump is gonna work. So yeah, 1931, here we come. I'm actually scared.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
They should have known there was no way the show was going to get 10+ seasons, if ending up in 1931 was their end goal they should have paced themselves better instead of waiting until the final season and jumping ahead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully they have a bunch of flashbacks to fill in the missing years. That seems pretty likely.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CaptainHollywood posted:

I have no recollection of this show and I've remembered nearly every 90's Saturday Morning shows.
That's because it wasn't a Saturday morning gig.
It was broadcast on the USA cable network pre-prime time (I want to say 5:00pm) m-F. USA was building a children's TV brand (Cartoon Express?) And this was one of their anchors.

Cmon man, you thought Yuppie S&M Space Fighters would get approved for network TV?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

...of SCIENCE! posted:

They should have known there was no way the show was going to get 10+ seasons, if ending up in 1931 was their end goal they should have paced themselves better instead of waiting until the final season and jumping ahead.

That and even the creator of it is bored shitless of it. He's spent more time wanking over his new show in press interviews than talking about Broadwalk and that combined with less than desirable ratings means it's getting a Final grace season that clearly no one can really be arsed with.

It's not a great loss though, unlike Deadwood people will mostly likely look back on Boardwalk and it's short run with a giant shrug of their shoulders.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Another Sunday, another episode of The Leftovers. Walk into the thread ... nope, I can't do it. Can't read that thread anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like Bobby Cannavale but I have no idea how he won that Emmy. Gyp Rosetti was a poo poo character and many people could do that role in their sleep.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm hearing very bad things about this week's Leftovers which makes me wanna cackle with glee a little bit tbh

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Longmire is excellent.
I think ever Native American actor in hollywood has been on this show at this point.

Deadpool posted:

As a result of pure happenstance a few us have stumbled upon the greatest television show ever made. We now present to you the new Official TV Series of TVIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCg26VZ0bQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think this was on the same time as Beetleborgs. Man there were a lot of bad power rangers rip offs.

FilthyImp posted:

Seeing as how Mystic Knights and Beetleborgs were both made by Saban, its hard to call them ripoffs.

Mystic Knights was the first attempt by Saban to do a Ranger style show without Japanese tokusatsu footage, though.

If you're going for actual ripoffs, though, you best go right for the king :magical:

http://youtu.be/qmhRKU5zBS8
I don't think any show has had such an impact on TV as Power Rangers. Not 24, not The Sopranos, nothing. Think about it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I know for a fact that I have at least two official VHS tapes for Mystic Knights back at my dad's house. Next time I visit him I'll see about grabbing them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fargo has been renewed by FX.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/21/fargo-louie-renewed-by-fx/284641/

Interested to see the direction they go with for a second season.

quote:

The ten-episode second season of Fargo will feature an entirely new cast and will be set in a different time period.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll just trade casts with True Detective.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They'll just trade casts with True Detective.
And use the case of money from No Country for Old Men.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I don't forsee Fargo nor true detective living up to their first seasons but hopefully I'm wrong.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

True Detective has plenty of ways to improve.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Fargo has been renewed by FX.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/21/fargo-louie-renewed-by-fx/284641/

Interested to see the direction they go with for a second season.

Considering the movie took place in the 80s and the TV show in the 00s they could make a pretty decent gimmick out of having each season be a different decade.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaggitz posted:

I know for a fact that I have at least two official VHS tapes for Mystic Knights back at my dad's house. Next time I visit him I'll see about grabbing them.

You still have a working VCR, grandpa?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/press-tour-fxx-unveils-simpsons-world-portal-to-drooling-critics

Yeah, I'm not sure I can quote this article, just read it and weep.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
holy gently caress

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wonder if the episode guide material will be taken from these books. I had the original one when I was a kid and wore it to shreds due to overuse. It was great bathroom reading material.

Not crazy about the cable paywall though, since you still can't get FXX on my cable system without buying a whole loving tier of unrelated sports channels.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bown posted:

I'm hearing very bad things about this week's Leftovers which makes me wanna cackle with glee a little bit tbh

I don't think it was a bad episode. I think the combination of it going back to it's regular formula after an episode that solely focused on the character played by a very well liked & regarded actor and the awesome, action packed season trailer from last week just led to too high of expectations and the let-down peoples complaining even more than normal.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I think True Detective was the single best season of a show I've ever seen.

Followed closely by what is probably the worst thread for a tv show I've ever seen.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Irish Joe posted:

You still have a working VCR, grandpa?

My dad does. Like I said the tapes are at his place.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Midnight City posted:

I think True Detective was the single best season of a show I've ever seen.

Followed closely by what is probably the worst thread for a tv show I've ever seen.

I think this is the most hyperbolic post I've ever seen.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

clearly he doesn't watch enough TV to note that GOT, Community, The Leftovers threads are just as bad

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
So I skipped Season 2 as it was airing, but in light of S3's recent premiere I decided to go back and take a look at The Legend of Korra's second season.

Man, this would be a better show if it had fewer teenage relationship arguments and more of Korra fighting those miyazaki-lookin' motherfuckers. I mean, these are some Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away- type bastards and they're much more deserving of the high-end animation than Korra and Mako's close-ups when they're arguing about who does the dishes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

S2 was bad but S3 seems pretty alright, so just skip S2.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

IRQ posted:

S2 was bad but S3 seems pretty alright, so just skip S2.

I'm in this for the long haul, now. I'm 6 episodes in and I can't stop.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm in this for the long haul, now. I'm 6 episodes in and I can't stop.

Good loving look man. It certainly goes downhill all the way until the end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is that one good episode about the very first Bender that's like a mini-movie. The rest of season 2 is a blur.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Good God

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

There is that one good episode about the very first Bender that's like a mini-movie. The rest of season 2 is a blur.

I just saw that one, it owned bones! Really proper mythic stuff and a good helping of Miyazaki monsters.

It can't help but be downhill from here, the only question is just how rough it'll be for me to get through it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

I could see someone legitimately making the case for True Detective S1 being the best thing they've seen on television; I myself would say that season 1 of Rectify or Fargo took that throne by a landslide, but both those are still pretty fresh in my mind so we'll see how they hold up.

I think time will not be terribly kind to True Detective, though, to be quite honest. I especially think it doesn't hold up to repeated viewings as well as some might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Who are these people that still genuinely give a poo poo about The Simpsons?

• Locked thread