Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

kingcobweb posted:

Packs were $10+ and the legends were those prices when they were available for sale, which was seldom

The real Legend was the one that warped the basic principles of supply and demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Some MTG financial news:

http://themeadery.org/articles/news-hasbro-reports-q2-increase-in-revenue-but-a-decline-in-mtg

And some additional notes off of Reddit:

1) Sounds like a large double set being announced. Or some other wonky block format.

2) They view hearthstone as a non competitor. It apparently only appeals to casuals and is in fact a competitor to Duels of the Planeswalker. They also announced their spirit totem is an ostrich.

3). Hasbro has extreme confidence in WotC due to multiple years of double growth. They are extremely handsoff in managing the brand.

4). They are investing in magic online so that more people can play concurrently and they can hold larger tournaments online (PTQs?). The way it was framed is that demand for MTGO has outstripped supply. They don't view MTGO as core to the success of MAgic (part of the hearthstone non-threat). Its more of a get older players back into the game strategy.

5). Magic has declined slightly but don't worry Conspiracy and MTG2015 is on the way. This one I don't actually hold against Hasbro since they probably know nothing about releases. or its possible I know nothing about Magic and casual actually drives revenue.

6). We are for the first time in a half decade seeing a stall in REVENUE for Magic.

7). Magic remains a high margin business.

8.) Dont worry about Magic cause Transformers owns China and LatAm.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tezzeract posted:

Some MTG financial news:

http://themeadery.org/articles/news-hasbro-reports-q2-increase-in-revenue-but-a-decline-in-mtg

And some additional notes off of Reddit:

1) Sounds like a large double set being announced. Or some other wonky block format.

2) They view hearthstone as a non competitor. It apparently only appeals to casuals and is in fact a competitor to Duels of the Planeswalker. They also announced their spirit totem is an ostrich.

3). Hasbro has extreme confidence in WotC due to multiple years of double growth. They are extremely handsoff in managing the brand.

4). They are investing in magic online so that more people can play concurrently and they can hold larger tournaments online (PTQs?). The way it was framed is that demand for MTGO has outstripped supply. They don't view MTGO as core to the success of MAgic (part of the hearthstone non-threat). Its more of a get older players back into the game strategy.

5). Magic has declined slightly but don't worry Conspiracy and MTG2015 is on the way. This one I don't actually hold against Hasbro since they probably know nothing about releases. or its possible I know nothing about Magic and casual actually drives revenue.

6). We are for the first time in a half decade seeing a stall in REVENUE for Magic.

7). Magic remains a high margin business.

8.) Dont worry about Magic cause Transformers owns China and LatAm.

There's only so many people looking to play stacked Wizard poker.

I'm not sure how they're loving up the MTGO business so much. All it needs to do is be snappy and work. It works, but it sure as poo poo ain't snappy.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Dude, casual definitely drives revenue. I think it's a testament to the number of passionate nerds in high-ranking Wizards positions that so much support is given to "core" players as-is.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I feel like even if revenues stall, I can't fathom how they aren't making insane amounts of money selling pieces of cardboard for $3.99 per 15.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 21, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Gensuki posted:

I think it would be cool if MTGO had a weak cube.

Just 360 of the worst cards ever printed in magic the gathering...

Do 2 mana 1/1 with downsides exist?

Cephalid Vandal could be considered a drawback, but you arent going to play it unless you want the slow mill. Pardic Miner is very minor upside, and Shelkin Brownie has such a slight upside it might as well be vanilla.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Comic Con goers: How hard is it to get the limited edition Planeswalker thing? I assume that's something you have to wait in line for for hours and is sold out on the first day (on which I'm not going)?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gensuki posted:

I think it would be cool if MTGO had a weak cube.

Just 360 of the worst cards ever printed in magic the gathering...

Do 2 mana 1/1 with downsides exist?

You could do a vintage rotisserie backdraft. That might take a while before anyone got a pool capable of doing anything.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Just play Alliances limited where using Lord of Tresserhorn to deck your opponent first was a viable win con.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bugsy posted:

Pardic Miner is very minor upside

Is it that minor? You lose a bit of card advantage, but un-ramping the opponent seems helpful and I can't think what else does it for 2 mana.

e: I mean besides Sinkhole, but comparing unfavorably to Sinkhole isn't particularly damning.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is it that minor? You lose a bit of card advantage, but un-ramping the opponent seems helpful and I can't think what else does it for 2 mana.

e: I mean besides Sinkhole, but comparing unfavorably to Sinkhole isn't particularly damning.

I really want to put Gift of Immortality on Pardic Miner.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bugsy posted:

Pardic Miner is very minor upside

Pardic Miner played on turn 2 is very similar to a two-mana stone rain. Now, there's obviously multiple ways it's worse than a straight up two-mana stone rain but the fact it even invites the comparison means it's way better than vanilla.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How about a 0/1 three drop with an ability that can't reliably be activated even if your deck's built around it?

(Kamigawa really did have a bunch of stinkers)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

cheetah7071 posted:

Pardic Miner played on turn 2 is very similar to a two-mana stone rain. Now, there's obviously multiple ways it's worse than a straight up two-mana stone rain but the fact it even invites the comparison means it's way better than vanilla.

Pardic Miner gives you card disadvantage, unlike Stone Rain which gives parity. But, it gives the same tempo boost, a turn earlier.

It isn't a shining star, but it isn't toilet paper either.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rinkles posted:

How about a 0/1 three drop with an ability that can't reliably be activated even if your deck's built around it?

Hey, that card has the most relevant part of one of the original Alpha 3-for-1 cards attached to it and can do it every turn. Clearly you need to put some limitations on that bad boy.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

If this card is active, it's absurdly powerful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

If this card is active, it's absurdly powerful.

Okay, I never played the format. Is Numai Outcast defensible?

e:Wait, the Bonesetter can't even prevent damage to players?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 22, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Some of the Sweep cards were really good combat tricks, especially the two cards in white, so Kitsune Bonesetter actually isn't as hard to get active as you might think it is.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Kamigawa Block was an INCREDIBLY slow format and everything about it is weird from an outside view.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

2/2 for one mana that does nothing if your opponent has an untapped land. Prophecy.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Count Bleck posted:

I'm befuddled about people actually believing Chromium was 18 dollars.

Chromium was the poo poo and everybody wanted to run the chrome dragon. I remember wanting one but never having the $20-30 he demanded at the time. Best pricing from that era that I can recall re: power 9 was that a MOX was around $50 and a lotus ran you $2-300 if you could even find one. Seeing someone play a lotus was still p special

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Okay, I never played the format. Is Numai Outcast defensible?

e:Wait, the Bonesetter can't even prevent damage to players?

That is a 4 mana 3/3 with a fairly cheap regenerate cost if you have some life gain and a way to make it a threat. (Give it a Jitte)

Incidentally, "Give it a Jitte" makes pretty much every card amazing/baseline work?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

kingcobweb posted:

2/2 for one mana that does nothing if your opponent has an untapped land. Prophecy.

Actually, you can still block with it if your opponent has an untapped land. You just have to tap all your lands in advance. :pseudo:

Rishadan Port was pretty good, but you know what's better? A land that taps TWO LANDS! All ya gotta do is pay two and sac it. Also it comes into play tapped. Also it's awful. I won a Masques Block tournament running two of these in my Rising Waters deck somehow.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

A lot of cards from Kamigawa block that look bad now were perfectly playable in context but Numai Outcast was unmitigated last pick garbage back then too

e: Branded Brawlers sucked for sure but Veteran Brawlers saw fringe play being in a format with Rishadan Port, Tangle Wire, and good land destruction

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gensuki posted:

That is a 4 mana 3/3 with a fairly cheap regenerate cost if you have some life gain and a way to make it a threat. (Give it a Jitte)

Incidentally, "Give it a Jitte" makes pretty much every card amazing/baseline work?

A single tear runs down the cheek of Deadly Insect.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

What's better than Port in a block with Port? A land that gives your opponent a Port. Someone on the mothership once said that its oracle wording is "Tap:"

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Hey now Rhystic Cave opens a ton of design space in that version of 3-Card Magic where you're trying to lose

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

What's better than Port in a block with Port? A land that gives your opponent a Port. Someone on the mothership once said that its oracle wording is "Tap:"

Using port usually ties up two lands, so it's actually better than a Port for your opponent.

Of course if you had 3 caves in play they could always use two mana and a single card to lay down this bad boy and stop your pitiful attempts to case colored spells at even greater mana efficiency-

(I have a foil copy that I keep front and center in my trade binder)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

Riding the Dilu Horse was a misprint. The set's FAQ said to play it as if it said "...until end of turn."

I actually asked Tabak about this on his rules page and he said the FAQ was typed up wrong and it was always intended to be permanent.

God only knows though since it was so far back AND the FAQ never got changed.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The transition from Urza block to Masques block was a roller coaster ride of power disparity. Exodus was the car going up that high peak at the beginning of the coaster, the Urza Block was the huge fun drop and loop-d-loops, Masques was the not-as-high second uphill peak, Nemesis was the level straightaway, and Prophecy was the car abruptly stopping while the operator tells you that the ride is broke and maintenance is on its way.

I remember people drafting Masques block with Prophecy once and then never again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

As a kid I thought the Prophecy avatar cycle cards were cool.

Got me to notice rk post too.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 22, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

kingcobweb posted:

For anyone who wasn't around, this was coming from an era when the very threat of a 2-power creature for one mana was a precursor to unrestrained pantsshitting from the design team. Jackal Pup, Goblin Patrol and Goblin Cadets were all still playable at various points despite drawbacks, so in the two blocks following them, we got this and Scarred Puma (look it up) for red one-drops.

In Odyssey, there were 1/2 creatures for a single mana that didn't have drawbacks (one of them even had a benefit!!) and at the time it seemed revolutionary to some of us that you'd have a total P/T of 3 for 1 mana with no drawback, even though a 1/2 is massively worse than a 2/1.

Creature strategies were way more playable during this whole era than a lot of revisionist historians would have you believe, but it wasn't because there weren't some really, really shittily designed creatures.

Now of course you get Nacatl and Delver and, while it wouldn't be correct to say nobody bats an eye, nobody bats enough of an eye to stop them doing it, apparently.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Brood posted:

So, theoretically, if I choose Research // Development for Sphinx of Predicaments (or any other split card), does it take into consideration the combined CMC of both spells?

The question is: is Research & Development's CMC greater than 4? The correct answer is yes, because its CMC is 2 and 5, and 5 is greater than 4.

quote:

If the card is a split card, it has two converted mana costs, one for each half. If both converted mana costs are greater than 4 or if both are not, the opponent must guess appropriately to be correct. If one converted mana cost is greater than 4 and one is not, guessing that the card's converted mana cost is greater than 4 is correct, and guessing that the card's converted mana cost isn't greater than 4 is wrong. If the player guesses wrong and you cast a split card this way, you may cast either half (or both halves if the card has fuse), no matter what its converted mana cost is.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

For anyone who wasn't around, this was coming from an era when the very threat of a 2-power creature for one mana was a precursor to unrestrained pantsshitting from the design team. Jackal Pup, Goblin Patrol and Goblin Cadets were all still playable at various points despite drawbacks, so in the two blocks following them, we got this and Scarred Puma (look it up) for red one-drops.

In Odyssey, there were 1/2 creatures for a single mana that didn't have drawbacks (one of them even had a benefit!!) and at the time it seemed revolutionary to some of us that you'd have a total P/T of 3 for 1 mana with no drawback, even though a 1/2 is massively worse than a 2/1.

Creature strategies were way more playable during this whole era than a lot of revisionist historians would have you believe, but it wasn't because there weren't some really, really shittily designed creatures.

Now of course you get Nacatl and Delver and, while it wouldn't be correct to say nobody bats an eye, nobody bats enough of an eye to stop them doing it, apparently.

Not just playable, Jackal Pup and friends were Extended playable in a tier 1 deck an era where there were multiple combo decks that could consistently beat you on turn 3-4 and could potentially beat you earlier.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
kodama of the north tree was awesome back in kamigawa, I'm so bummed xenagod's trigger targets... All I want to do is beat someone with mr. fan hands one more time.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Tezzeract posted:

We are for the first time in a half decade seeing a stall in REVENUE for Magic.

Magic has seen growth year over year, but I don't know that each quarter in that time saw growth. Magic very much depends on the individual product releases, and those releases don't coincide with quarterly reports.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
My mom bought me a booster box exactly once for Christmas when I was in middleschool. It was a box of Prophecy. Even at the time I knew everything in the set was dogshit :(.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This popped up on Reddit as it was apparently mailed to a LGS, I'm sure you guys can appreciate it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Careful, you wouldn't want to make any misnomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ah, the "Definitely-not-Born-of-the-Gods" Beta set.

• Locked thread