Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ridley as a Captain Falcon alt. costume.

Hell Ridley as an alt. costume for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lurdiak posted:

You're still forced to actually run on that thing for like 5+ minutes to progress, which I would never have believed Nintendo would put in a game before that.

Say "I Love You" 100 times to prove you really do love me Frankie.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I wish they would nerf Fox I mean winning matches without doing much is just too powerful.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

You're still forced to actually run on that thing for like 5+ minutes to progress, which I would never have believed Nintendo would put in a game before that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

TTBF posted:

Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation did, and then cited it as a major reason he disliked the game in his video review. He then acted like a child when people pointed out how dumb it was.

Since I was curious and I have absolutely nothing better to do, I actually went back to watch that video (which turned out to be from his pre-Escapist days so it's a lot less vitriolic than usual) and basically you're totally wrong. He liked it, just not as much as the previous 2, and he mentioned it required you to do it for 15 minutes, which matches Dr. Fetus's statement. I dunno reactions, but since it's from when he was still hosting that stuff on Youtube I doubt he even looked at the comments.

And that's enough :spergin: from me today.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Leadthumb posted:

Fox will finally meet his real dad.

Does he ever meet his "fake" dad?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Francis rules, otaku chameleon rules, playing as bowser rules, Mr. L rules, the galaga sections rule, literally being killed by the villain's right-hand man and clawing your way back out of Mario Hell ruled, especially since you have to stop the forces of Mario Hell from invading Mario Heaven immediately after. SPM rules.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Sire Oblivion posted:

He meets his Ghost Dad, so kind of.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Earthbound is truly the earliest proven example of 'video games as art'

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

He meets his Ghost Dad, so kind of.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

How so? I haven't actually played Super Paper Mario, I admit.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TTBF posted:

Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation did, and then cited it as a major reason he disliked the game in his video review. He then acted like a child when people pointed out how dumb it was.

Ben 'I don't Know poo poo About Video Games So They're Bad' Crosshaw. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
ITT goons making fun of someone whose shtick is overly critiquing small things in video games for overly critiquing a small thing in a video game

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

this kid can go gently caress himself

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

this kid can go gently caress himself

New smash bros item: Suporma

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Sire Oblivion posted:

You are hereby banned from this thread until you go home and play Star Fox 64 on the hard path. :colbert:

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Ben 'I don't Know poo poo About Video Games So They're Bad' Crosshaw. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

You seem really mad about Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw, would you care to share what's wrong?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Monicro posted:

ITT goons making fun of someone whose shtick is overly critiquing small things in video games for overly critiquing a small thing in a video game
What if I make fun of him for being a douchebag, completely unrelated to his actual videos?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Thinking about all the old games has reminded me that the uncle's note part of Startropics was one of the coolest things ever when I was a kid. I don't even like the game that much, but drat that owned.
The end.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

What if I make fun of him for being a douchebag, completely unrelated to his actual videos?

well im not sure why one would discuss that in the Super Smash Brothers For Wii U And 3DS Thread but sure knock yourself out

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Seshoho Cian posted:

You seem really mad about Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw, would you care to share what's wrong?

He found the boss music in Metal Gear Revengeance bad enough to turn it off.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Irony posting is over, we need to find this man and hang him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Seshoho Cian posted:

Not him but he does present himself as a huge idiot in a lot of the reviews. Most blatent being the Super Mario 3D World where he apparently didn't even play a single level of it before his review.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Leadthumb posted:

Thinking about all the old games has reminded me that the uncle's note part of Startropics was one of the coolest things ever when I was a kid. I don't even like the game that much, but drat that owned.
The end.

Mike for Smash 4

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RareAcumen posted:

Look, the music is Revengeance is definitely bad, but that is exactly why it's awesome and it is still really stupid to turn it off.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Basically unless you're good at video games you shouldn't brand yourself a "game critic."

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Basically unless you're good at video games you shouldn't brand yourself a "game critic."

Im not going to look up a source but hes said on multiple occasions that he doesnt consider himself a proper critic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: okay im not gonna put any more input into this discussion because its even worse than heelchat :toxx:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blackheart posted:

How so? I haven't actually played Super Paper Mario, I admit.

Holding down a button while nothing happens in an area you're completely stuck in to make a number go up for 15 minutes straight (unless you straight up cheat) is not comparable to being asked to stand around for 3 minutes, especially since you can just leave the room in earthbound. The game later makes you walk to the right in a completely featureless void for another really long period of time, essentially making you repeat the "hold down right" thing.

Anyway, as insulting and stupid as the hamster wheel is, it's not the real issue. The main flaw of Super Paper Mario was that the platforming was really weak and lacked depth(pun), and removing the RPG elements completely greatly restricted the design, namely by making it difficult to give interesting quest rewards for side stuff. There are also baffling smaller issues, like how you only unlock unlimited 3D time as the very last thing you can do in the game, meaning you'll never have a reason to use it, or how Mario was the only person who could go 3D, or how the art style of most NPCs was pretty fugly.

The game's writing is charming enough that it's probably still worth playing, but it's a huge step down from Thousand Year Door.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not him but he does present himself as a huge idiot in a lot of the reviews. Most blatent being the Super Mario 3D World where he apparently didn't even play a single level of it before his review.

Yahtzee is not a good reviewer by any stretch of the imagination, and both of these things are real bad, however I read a real vitriol in Bobnumerotres's post and I want to know his history with the fedora wearing stallion.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Seshoho Cian posted:

Yahtzee is not a good reviewer by any stretch of the imagination, and both of these things are real bad, however I read a real vitriol in Bobnumerotres's post and I want to know his history with the fedora wearing stallion.

Me too. I care about why this guy thinks a dude on the internet is annoying, because of how I read his posts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

real vitriol

cracked the case for you, captain gregson

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Holding down a button while nothing happens in an area you're completely stuck in to make a number go up for 15 minutes straight (unless you straight up cheat)

It's not cheating, though? The whole point of that section is to go find the way around that. It took me maybe five minutes to get through that whole section. It's not hard. Heck, I found the dude who had the vault code before I even found the guy who offers the way to make money faster so I could buy said code.

Really, I almost wish that the total amount of money was several times more; apparently "do nothing for fifteen minutes" isn't ridiculous enough for people to realize that's obviously not what you're actually supposed to do. If it would have taken hours to get maybe more people wouldn't have tried to to actually do it, and since the vault gives you exactly what you need anyway it wouldn't have made a difference in that respect. Then again, I'm starting to suspect that people would have actually tried to run on that wheel for hours anyway, so I suppose making the amount required rather low at least made it so people could progress.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

majormonotone posted:

Mike for Smash 4

This, but only if you dunk the game's instruction manual in water to get the secret code to unlock him.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Although you can circumvent the wheel, there are multiple other instances where SPM decides it's going to be super tedious as a Very Funny Joke. It wasn't a very good game in general.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Although you can circumvent the wheel, there are multiple other instances where SPM decides it's going to be super tedious as a Very Funny Joke. It wasn't a very good game in general.

Those dudes in the Cragnon chapter can go gently caress themselves.

(This is coming from someone who thought the "I love you" sequence from TTYD was funny and great)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Holding down a button while nothing happens in an area you're completely stuck in to make a number go up for 15 minutes straight (unless you straight up cheat) is not comparable to being asked to stand around for 3 minutes, especially since you can just leave the room in earthbound. The game later makes you walk to the right in a completely featureless void for another really long period of time, essentially making you repeat the "hold down right" thing.

Well is it 5, or 15 minutes then :colbert:

Ok it sounds p. tedious either way at least Earthbound did it this one time and made you go :aaaaa:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Super Paper Mario's biggest strength in my eyes is that it really seems to enjoy loving with you. You do have to see it as the good-natured screwing around that it is, because it's gonna seem really lovely if you don't, but once you see that like half of the game consists of various ways of trolling you it's more tolerable (although I will agree it goes a bit far sometimes).

I will say that I genuinely liked the 'destroyed world' chapter, too. I thought it was a really cool way of going about displaying a 'You Failed' chapter. I expected something like the Dimensional Rift in FFV, or the End of the World in Kingdom Hearts; a challenging world where the rules of reality have broken down, but it's not all that different. That's all well and good, but it doesn't drill the point home nearly as well as turning up and seeing... nothing. Nothing at all, not even a speck of color, just a huge expanse of nothingness.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

It's not cheating, though? The whole point of that section is to go find the way around that. It took me maybe five minutes to get through that whole section. It's not hard. Heck, I found the dude who had the vault code before I even found the guy who offers the way to make money faster so I could buy said code.

You are misremembering. You need to do it for a fixed amount of time before you're allowed to move onto the faster ways of making money, and then getting the safe open. It is not possible to skip it entirely, and the amount you're required to do it is still very long. The cheating I referred to was getting the vault code off the internet, which I wasn't able to do as I got the game at launch.

Anyway as I said, it doesn't really matter. That's just a single bad moment in a game with myriad flaws.

Blackheart posted:

Well is it 5, or 15 minutes then :colbert:

It's been too long, I honestly can't remember. I remember it was long enough that it was a problem.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

David Copperfield posted:

You are hereby banned from this thread until you go home and play Star Fox 64 on the hard path. :colbert:

Oh I know, but he implied that isn't his real father.

• Locked thread