Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's been a half dozen or so new Suicide Island chapters uploaded to kissmanga in the last few days.

Things are not going well. Not at all. I am fairly dreading the next chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squidster posted:

I've been reading Immortal Hounds and enjoying it, and then someone recommended Aijn to me on the grounds that it has a very similar premise. How can such similar concepts end up with such varying degrees of quality? Immortal Hounds isn't perfect, but Aijn is just really, really terrible.

They share a number of scenes, similar cold-eyed hardass protagonists, but everything in Aijn reeks of too cool for school shonen E-xtr33m3ness. The protagonist Kei Nagai has basically no agency in his own comic. He has no motivations and no interests, and even his one piece of uniqueness - that he was kinda sorta sometimes sympathetic to humans - was trumped by an actually noble Aijn who was discarded a scene later. Nobody cares about anybody or anything, and all the Aijn are indistinguishably selfish bastards. Was the pitch for this comic "Immortal Space Ayn Rands invade, and we can get rid of them?" I would still chainsaw my way across a puppy minefield to be able to draw that well, but I wish the artist was paired with someone who was better at planning poo poo.

Immortal Hounds has a tendency to lean into melodrama, but the bizarre weirdness to the world and the screwball romance comedy that seems to be kicking in has got my attention.
Both series have a lot of consequence-free violence, but the violence in Aijn makes me feel lovely and root for all the characters to die in a fire. The violence in Hounds is generally almost comedic, but carries pathos when an actual vector death occurs.

Interestingly, Aijn is almost entirely devoid of female characters. There’s a sister ( sickly, kidnapped, hateful ) and an assassin secretary ( demure, deadly, immortal ), but no women who aren’t just bystanders. Immortal Hounds, on the other hand, has multiple female main characters, but dresses them up in highschool uniforms for no particular reason. It’s clearly some kind of fetish thing, but at least the characters wearing them have emotional weight and agency within the story.

Edit: But seriously, read Immortal Hounds.

I believe aijn had a change of authors midway through. Agreed with your sentiments and also recommend Immortal Hounds.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Breaky posted:

I believe aijn had a change of authors midway through. Agreed with your sentiments and also recommend Immortal Hounds.

Yeah, the artist became the author several chapters in and... he's not really very good at it. Didn't take much for me to jump ship, though--from the beginning it only interested me a little. Honestly I would rather have Immortal Hounds on Crunchyroll than Aijn.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New The Town Only I Don't Live In. She's been rescued...but she's going to die still, because the murderer is the teacher, I bet. Certainly couldn't have been a more ominous ending to that chapter, anyways.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Captain Invictus posted:

New The Town Only I Don't Live In. She's been rescued...but she's going to die still, because the murderer is the teacher, I bet. Certainly couldn't have been a more ominous ending to that chapter, anyways.

My year of watching Scooby Doo have convinced me you're right.

Actually I'm pretty bad at decent mysteries but this one seems pretty telegraphed

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I've thought it ever since the story introduced him since he fit the role so it may be a bit too obvious.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

My year of watching Scooby Doo have convinced me you're right.

Actually I'm pretty bad at decent mysteries but this one seems pretty telegraphed

I heard a pretty convincing counterargument, what with the murderer apparently being the mother's boyfriend, and him and the teacher being in different places at the same time. Still, the manga's story revolves around at least one supernatural power, I don't see why there can't be a second one held by the antagonist.

Edit: having actually read the last chapter, I'm now eating my words. Its been pretty heavily hinted at that the teacher was the killer for a while now, but I was convinced it was a red herring. Unless the (apparent) boyfriend isn't the same person that's been off-panel in a few other ominous scenes, it looks like he's just an abusive rear end in a top hat rather than a serial killer.

Sinner Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 29, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

There's been a half dozen or so new Suicide Island chapters uploaded to kissmanga in the last few days.

Things are not going well. Not at all. I am fairly dreading the next chapter.

Where did they get paint and gas on a deserted island? :iiam:

edit: Maybe their used alchohol or something for the fire. Still. Wonder what's up with the island.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 29, 2014

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Captain Invictus posted:

I've just marathoned this series and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw "The End" at the bottom of the last page. Then I read the message on the side and my heart sank. I just want a happy ending. It's tough thinking that the teacher is probably the murderer. I just don't want Kayo to die anymore.

The series certainly is a page turner, but the time travel gimmick is frustrating in the way it's used. The author knows when it's the most heartbreaking moment to apply it and I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 29, 2014

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Sorry for the double post
EDIT IS NOT POST

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Where did they get paint and gas on a deserted island? :iiam:

edit: Maybe their used alchohol or something for the fire. Still. Wonder what's up with the island.

He says he collected the gas from abandoned vehicles around the island.

Gasoline has an effective shelf life of only a handful of years, but that's only if you're planning on using it to run an engine. If you're just lighting it on fire I'm sure it'd still be functional.

Then again, there was also another Lord of the Flies situation a while back (the guy the MC got his dog from is remnant from that era). I guess if that group just killed each other instead of banding together they might not've gotten to the point of trying to scavenge things from the island.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Speaking of Suicide Island, I started reading Destroy and Revolution by the same guy. I like how the protagonist admits he's just doing it because he's mad and has no particular agenda of his own. :v:

It's all a metaphor for homosexuality, isn't it?!

e: Wow does it ever get crazy.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 29, 2014

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
New Kui Tan. Is this foreshadowing of a food-themed Moriarty?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New Kotonoba Drive.

Spooooooky~

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sorry for the double post but here is Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 33.

Some really good character moments in this one.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Got your newest chapters of 6000

Got your new chapters of Suicide Island

I was out of the loop, both have had a few chapters added since I last checked. I don't recall seeing any Suicide Island or 6000 links in the thread, anyway.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Just caught up on my backlog of seinen and I really just absolutely and thoroughly have to recommend Suicide Island and The Town Where Only I Am Missing (or whichever variation you want). Seriously. If you have a spare half hour, read the starting bits of these series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Edit: nevermind

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Suicide Island/Destroy and Revolution both are pretty good, though the former is much better.

I can't help but wonder if there's a plan for how it'll end, though.

Also, anyone who searches the "Smut" tag on Batato and ends up with Suicide Island will probably be dissapointed. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
:woop: Boys on the Run updated!!! :woop:

edit: more than one! Maybe the rest of the series is finally being uploaded! :woop:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 5, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
New bonecrushing chapters of Tokyo Ghoul. :magical:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Shhhh, be quiet when I'm talking." God :drat:.

Too bad the anime probably isn't going to make it this far unless it gets a second season.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 7, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So I decided to read All You Need Is Kill after seeing Edge of Tomorrow and thinking it was awesome as hell, and uh :stare: holy poo poo I was not expecting that much gore and grimdarkness

Like I knew the ending was different and the movie changed it to be way happier and more Hollywood-y but god loving drat

Is there really only 17 chapters?

Anyways i finally caught up to Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There!, and :wtc: that manga has fallen apart fast. The interesting aspect of a modern day civilization interacting with a fantasy one, and the weirdness that comes with it has kind of running out.

I don't understand Apparently the Empire took slaves from Japan when they invaded. They found one and rescued her from the evil prince. So then the JSDF just bombs the poo poo out of the capital :confused: why? It just seems so utterly out of character for them.

So then apparently the Elf girl has gone crazy and thinks the main character is her dad? But her dad has apparently been dead all along? So those times when he talked with the MC was just a figment of her imagination? :wtc: is going on. I can't tell if the translation is terrible, because what the gently caress kind of relationship did the elf have with her father. She is sleeping naked with the MC? I am really confused.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

God, I kind of hate myself that I know enough about Gate to answer these. Like I really wanted to enjoy it because of that intersection of modern era and medieval fantasy, but the story is just so bad (I actually gave up around the events of your first question).

1. Its just the author fantasizing about how great japan's military is. Actually this is the entire story.
2. Her dad died from that dragon way back when she was introduced. Also you're probably thinking of that old man who is the female mage's teacher. And as a reminder, the elf has been doing weird stuff for a bit, like ordering food for two people and picking out souvenirs for her dad on trips.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

vkeios posted:

1. Its just the author fantasizing about how great japan's military is. Actually this is the entire story.

The series is literally "Japan's awesome military might on parade", which makes no sense because somehow Japan built up a massive military force to conquer and hold the Gate on both sides, the rest of the world is desperately envious of this and tries to kidnap Gate people but are effortless beaten back by the JSDF, and the Japanese political opposition tries their best to humiliate Japan's military and disparage all related programs/operations tied to the Gate/military.

It's just strawman after strawman mixed with big titty fantasy females and the 2000 year old demigod with the body of a child.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

vkeios posted:

God, I kind of hate myself that I know enough about Gate to answer these. Like I really wanted to enjoy it because of that intersection of modern era and medieval fantasy, but the story is just so bad (I actually gave up around the events of your first question).

2. Her dad died from that dragon way back when she was introduced. Also you're probably thinking of that old man who is the female mage's teacher. And as a reminder, the elf has been doing weird stuff for a bit, like ordering food for two people and picking out souvenirs for her dad on trips.

Thanks. The story is really bad, i think the highlight was when they blaze ride of the valkyries and ride in on helicopters and just bomb the poo poo out of those raiders on horseback. :black101:

I liked the initial premise, and i don't really mind the circlejerking about the JSDF. I did however enjoy the idea of a modern day society interacting with a fantasy world. One of my favourite parts is when the that Empire nobleman gets to fire the machine gun and at that moment he completely and utterly realizes how outclassed they are in almost every respect.

The only way i can see gate ending is our MC realizes everyone is evil including Japan. To prevent the US and other baddies from invading the gate world he and his band of plucky followers shut the gate. Leaving our MC to live happily ever after on the gate side, while the empire is ruled by princess Pina Colada (:wtc: kind of name is that).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Even Tom Clancy's terrible American military wank fiction will usually have the barest fig leaf in the form of an international team. They'll be lead by Americans and all the main heroes will be American, but still there's at least a nod towards the rest of the world.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

My favorite part is where US Special Forces attack a hot springs, and noble Japanese troops easily take them out and determine that they're American because there's no other country with black people in their military. Also I unironically enjoy that in the fantasy world, there's stories of the magical spell "back blast clear." Someone please make a Gate spinoff thats just a dude in a bar hearing all these rumors; I'd probably read that.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 8, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
There's new work-safe Nickoledeon.

Somewhere between :smith: and :3:.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

UberJumper posted:

The only way i can see gate ending is our MC realizes everyone is evil including Japan. To prevent the US and other baddies from invading the gate world he and his band of plucky followers shut the gate. Leaving our MC to live happily ever after on the gate side, while the empire is ruled by princess Pina Colada (:wtc: kind of name is that).

Hahahaha, yeah right. Japan is the fairest of all nations and its military *defense* forces on a higher moral plane than any other other such group, specially the ones that are known to use black people.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

New bonecrushing chapters of Tokyo Ghoul. :magical:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu

Wow, this has quickly become a huge piece of poo poo.

White-haired boy is so extreme and cool.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 10, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

While I don't mind action at all the tokyo ghoul premise felt like it was going to turn into something else. So yea that's a bit of a let down.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
New Century Godslayer -- God erases the world and entrusts its recreation to his delinquent layabout son. Hilarity ensues.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You forgot to mention it's by the Blade of the Immortal guy!

Also this was a good joke:

"That old guy is a great existence that is only allowed to be called by the three holy letters!"
"Like 'K-on'?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mindblast posted:

While I don't mind action at all the tokyo ghoul premise felt like it was going to turn into something else. So yea that's a bit of a let down.
Yeah, well, I mean I'm even less interested in these ghoul-hunters and the tooootally waaacky character designs he keeps introducing for them so the last couple chapters have been a drag/a blur. Kinda preferred them when they were a faceless terror from the MC's perspective (other than the one guy we've been following), now I'm just like zzzzzzzzzz get back to the main story.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's been more than a year but there's finally some more March Comes in Like a Lion. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/260201/3-gatsu-no-lion_v4_ch33_by_anonymous

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Somebody has started translating Dog Soldier by Tetsuya Saruwatari (probably best known for Tough and Riki-Oh). It's about John Rambo Kyosuke Hiba, Japanese-American ex-Green Beret who earned 23 Silver Stars and knows 20 different martial arts among other bullshit skills, and now works reluctantly as a mercenary. The first bad guy he faces in the series is pretty much Bennett from Commando. It's as stupid as it sounds, but if you like silly 80s action manga, it's definitely worth checking out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Puukko naamassa posted:

It's as stupid as it sounds, but if you like silly 80s action manga, it's definitely worth checking out.

This is basically saruwatari_tetsuya.txt

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Any recommendations for a none tragic romance? I'm in the mood for something sappy. I don't mind some tragedy as long as it ends happily.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Lazaruise posted:

Any recommendations for a none tragic romance? I'm in the mood for something sappy. I don't mind some tragedy as long as it ends happily.

Read Bonnouji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lazaruise posted:

Clearly you are looking for Can't See Can't Hear But Love.

I'm joking