Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went through about 20 turbo studs on the mack before i finally got a full set of 4 that would hold. I guess i'm lucky in that, as normally it's the turbo flange that cracks off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Thought you guys might like to see this. EPA declares it illegal to roll coal

Only thing I don't like, the wording is so vague and broad that it can be interpreted to mean that any kind of modification to any vehicle is a "defeat device" and the EPA can thus fine you. Which is awesome considering the EPA has also just given itself the power to garnish wages.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

YF19pilot posted:

Only thing I don't like, the wording is so vague and broad that it can be interpreted to mean that any kind of modification to any vehicle is a "defeat device" and the EPA can thus fine you. Which is awesome considering the EPA has also just given itself the power to garnish wages.

Oh EPA, what won't you try?

That being said, here we are allowed to "roll coal" and it also depends on the year of the truck how much and how dark. They don't hook you up to a emissions machine like a car, they dyno spin you and use a light laser thing.

If you want to roll very heavy coal, get a old truck.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

YF19pilot posted:

Good. Too bad it won't be enforced on a single one of the shitlord rednecks around here who rig up their (pickup) trucks to engulf traffic with choking clouds of black smoke at red lights. It's not ethical to respond with violence, but I wouldn't shed a tear if someone else lit them up for it while they hoot and holler about how clever they are.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Problem is, this is mostly going to land on the people making diesel tuning equipment and software, which is (as I understand it) mostly the same as the stuff dipshit rednecks use for smoke tunes.

AKA haha, hope you didn't want to buy a diesel tuner anytime soon.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hasn't altering the emissions system always been illegal?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

jamal posted:

Not on a federal level I don't think states have their own laws about emissions devices.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Problem is, this is mostly going to land on the people making diesel tuning equipment and software, which is (as I understand it) mostly the same as the stuff dipshit rednecks use for smoke tunes.

AKA haha, hope you didn't want to buy a diesel tuner anytime soon.

DPF delete stuff has allways been labeled as "Race only" or "offroad use only"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jamal posted:

Yes, thus what Powershift just said.

The problem is, these stupid fuckers just finally rocked the boat enough that the EPA is actually hitting tuner companies for it.

Thus... this is why we can't have nice things.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Don't worry folks, the EPA won't hold the Government rigs to the same standard, so you can still roll coal while texting in your government ride.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Any of you Alberta guys know what the hell Tri-Line has been running up and down highway nine for the last year?

They've got a peculiar spec fleet of completely identical trucks and trailers. Looks to be really heavily constructed, not reefers, neat looking graphic on the side, those axles that lift up when empty. Big grilles on the tractor, huge moose guard, what looks like bigger than normal tires.

It's probably just oil field poo poo, but it's been bugging me for months.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kastein posted:

The problem is, these stupid fuckers just finally rocked the boat enough that the EPA is actually hitting tuner companies for it.

Where exactly are they going against tuners? The EPA didn't even make a comment on this topic until Talking Points Memo directly asked them about it because some coaltard videos had gone viral. Even then they just pointed to an old FAQ page.

As for diesel tuning as a whole, Gale Banks said it well back in '08:

quote:

We’re currently running a drag race truck, which also happens to be the world’s quickest and fastest diesel drag race truck...and there’s no smoke coming from that one either, and we’re only running one injection pump. How is it that we can run one 3.3 Bosch pump and beat these guys that are running all kinds of additional fuel capacity on their engines? All of them blow smoke, but we make clean passes, and we’re quicker and faster. If that doesn’t prove what I’m saying to the smoke boys, then God help them.

On an old mechanical diesel it's the nature of the beast, you just don't have the adjustability to make peak power and burn clean at the same time, but anyone rolling coal on a modern electronically injected unit is just throwing up the retard flag for all to see.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

wolrah posted:

Where exactly are they going against tuners? The EPA didn't even make a comment on this topic until Talking Points Memo directly asked them about it because some coaltard videos had gone viral. Even then they just pointed to an old FAQ page.

As for diesel tuning as a whole, Gale Banks said it well back in '08:

On an old mechanical diesel it's the nature of the beast, you just don't have the adjustability to make peak power and burn clean at the same time, but anyone rolling coal on a modern electronically injected unit is just throwing up the retard flag for all to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_sx8o_i5B4

Yeah for some reason I blow more smoke on B99 than #2, but even then it's more whiter than a coal roll.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Get a better truck you can blow smoke all day. :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVTlzNJyxY

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get a better truck you can blow smoke all day. :clint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVTlzNJyxY

http://youtu.be/QPTDlNmValk

How to get beat to death with your own shift knob while pissing off the EPA.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

There's nothing I love in this life more than seeing the chassis in those things twist under the sheer amount of torque they're trying to contain. :awesome:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Are Vipers always like that one at 1:00? :stonk:

edit: this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPTDlNmValk&t=60s

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No just retards who can't drive apparently the vette also smokes Em around the 60foot. If you drip the clutch and mash the gas you aren't going to go anywhere fast.

Edit: Vete not better stupid auto correct

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 13, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

tater_salad posted:

If you drop the clutch and mash the gas you aren't going to go anywhere fast.

The best nursery rhyme.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rudager posted:

There's nothing I love in this life more than seeing the chassis in those things twist under the sheer amount of torque they're trying to contain. :awesome:

Wow, I had no idea. I remember my dad talking about twisting up a Vega frame by swapping the engine out with something huge, now that doesn't seem so far fetched.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Twisting up the frame is a pretty normal thing for Jeeps with the 4.0.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My Kenworth t800 (I think ? Whats the Canadian Market one that everyone runs?) has the loudest loving intake noise. I can't drive with the windows open without ear protection.

It's the air filter housing type where its the big can just under the mirrors infront of the door, except instead of that little grate thing beside the hood, it's two pipes leading into the engine bay.

One draws the air into the housing from under hood, and the other pipe leads from the housing to the engine air intake.

Ok but at the back of the housing, there is an open metal grate mesh that I can see into the housing, and it makes turbo whine like a motherfucker.

Is there a mod I can do to quiet this fucker down ? It's a 2001 Kenworth with a new (2012) Cummins N14 Plus (525 hp red top)

I can take pics when I get to the shop tonight.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

My Kenworth t800 (I think ? Whats the Canadian Market one that everyone runs?) has the loudest loving intake noise. I can't drive with the windows open without ear protection.

It's the air filter housing type where its the big can just under the mirrors infront of the door, except instead of that little grate thing beside the hood, it's two pipes leading into the engine bay.

One draws the air into the housing from under hood, and the other pipe leads from the housing to the engine air intake.

Ok but at the back of the housing, there is an open metal grate mesh that I can see into the housing, and it makes turbo whine like a motherfucker.

Is there a mod I can do to quiet this fucker down ? It's a 2001 Kenworth with a new (2012) Cummins N14 Plus (525 hp red top)

I can take pics when I get to the shop tonight.

Yeah take pictures, I'm not sure I'm following you completely. The Petes I used to run had a Y pipe from the cans to the turbo, the cans you are talking about almost sound like the older mushroom capped ones.

https://www.texaschromeshop.com/webstore/store/catalog/39351.jpg

It doesn't look like this?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah take pictures, I'm not sure I'm following you completely. The Petes I used to run had a Y pipe from the cans to the turbo, the cans you are talking about almost sound like the older mushroom capped ones.

https://www.texaschromeshop.com/webstore/store/catalog/39351.jpg

It doesn't look like this?

Nope.

Notice the two tubes going into the hood ? But on the backside is has an open "mesh" panel.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Isn't that....shouldn't that upper tube be used for your pneumatic trailer? What happens if you just block off the grated opening?, there isn't any mesh around that at all is there.

That doesn't seem to make any sense what so ever, unless it's sucking warm air because it gets balls cold up there. I almost want to know if there is an air filter in that can. Yeah that isn't even like the mushroom units I was thinking about.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterceptorV8 posted:

Isn't that....shouldn't that upper tube be used for your pneumatic trailer? What happens if you just block off the grated opening?, there isn't any mesh around that at all is there.

That doesn't seem to make any sense what so ever, unless it's sucking warm air because it gets balls cold up there. I almost want to know if there is an air filter in that can. Yeah that isn't even like the mushroom units I was thinking about.

Yup there is an airfilter. I change it every 300 hours :(

And yes it seems like a hot air intake.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Found the problem :v:

Is there much room between the element and the ID of the housing? You could fashion a baffle out of one of those bigass cardboard tubes, and if that proved inadequate then cover it in... well I don't wanna namedrop Dynamat but any sort of sound deadener you could trust to stay in one piece inside a filter housing.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

I've been driving recently, and I've seen a dual trail of rubber left on the road, but the trail persists for over a kilometer, and it only ended where you could see the driver pull over. What's going on to cause that? Did the entire axle lock up? Or did a brake pod randomly activated? Is the cause of it poor maintenance?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Air brakes are designed to fail safe, in that if the system loses all pressure the brakes apply so the thing doesn't move anywhere. Most likely is that the trailer air supply sprung a huge leak after he got moving, eventually locking up the brakes and resulting in what you saw.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Street Horrrsing posted:

I've been driving recently, and I've seen a dual trail of rubber left on the road, but the trail persists for over a kilometer, and it only ended where you could see the driver pull over. What's going on to cause that? Did the entire axle lock up? Or did a brake pod randomly activated? Is the cause of it poor maintenance?

Or you can knock a airline off a single brake can and lock a single side of a single axle, which won't stop the truck right away, but makes for fun and exciting skid marks on the road (and maybe in everybody's pants around you)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

Yup there is an airfilter. I change it every 300 hours :(

And yes it seems like a hot air intake.

Too bad you couldn't stick a cone filter over the hole to act as a baffle.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Street Horrrsing posted:

Grandma merged at 50km/h

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

"one position locked up" is a very common failure mode in the winter (shoes freeze to the drum, frozen air lines too sometimes), to the point where changing skidded tires is basically all tire guys do for the first three months of the year. I've only seen 2 single set skids above freezing temps, one was a seized brake cam (and that's the reason most brake cam bushings are nylon these days) and one was the situation IV8 mentioned.

Honsy16
Mar 18, 2009
Crossposting from the horrible mechanical failures thread:

"Don't worry, little buddy, I'll get ya where yer goin'"

But seriously: :wtc:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Not that it explains anything, but here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiLj3MsLCrw

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Tommychu posted:

"one position locked up" is a very common failure mode in the winter (shoes freeze to the drum, frozen air lines too sometimes), to the point where changing skidded tires is basically all tire guys do for the first three months of the year. I've only seen 2 single set skids above freezing temps, one was a seized brake cam (and that's the reason most brake cam bushings are nylon these days) and one was the situation IV8 mentioned.

Skidded tires are why I regularly hear tractor trailers driving around with their tires making an incredibly loud whompwhompwhompwhomp sound, right? Because I hear that A LOT.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Honsy16 posted:

Crossposting from the horrible mechanical failures thread:

"Don't worry, little buddy, I'll get ya where yer goin'"

But seriously: :wtc:

Wasn't this, I think the UK, it was some elderly guy in the car like cut off the trucker in someway that the trucker didn't see it, and somehow didn't feel it, and ended up dragging the poor sod like 15 miles?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When you're hauling 20 tons what's another ton or less to the mix.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

Skidded tires are why I regularly hear tractor trailers driving around with their tires making an incredibly loud whompwhompwhompwhomp sound, right? Because I hear that A LOT.

It's one of the more common reasons, yes. Standard practice if the tires survive the skid is to air the outer down, break beads, spin the tire 180 on the wheel and air-up, since DOT (at least in Alberta) permits skidded tires to keep rolling as long as the skids aren't in the same spot. Since this is universally a vertical procedure (wheel still bolted to unit) it's the best route for everyone involved.
But there's a hundred other reasons trailer tires can be ridiculously noisy. Separations are pretty common, equally noisy and within a set of determined limits mostly safe and legal. Or about to explode, depending on the situation. Uneven treadwear can make gnarly sounds too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Krakkles posted:

Not that it explains anything, but here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiLj3MsLCrw

The story is in the description of this video.

quote:

Mar 18, 2010

Amazing footage of a truck careening at 60 mph along a British freeway with a car trapped sideways on its front bumper emerged Thursday, sparked an investigation.

Video shows a trucker thundering along the A1(M) major road in West Yorkshire, northern England, seemingly oblivious to the automobile trapped under its cab.

The large vehicle was filmed by another motorist for several seconds, with sparks flying from the blue Renault Clio trapped in front.

Haulage company Arclid Transport confirmed the video is not a hoax and that the lady driver in the Clio "got out and walked away." A spokesman said an investigation was launched into the accident and police were informed.

West Yorkshire Police said officers were aware of the video and would be working with the company to establish the exact circumstances.

• Locked thread