Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I had to roll back through the thread to see what I'd already posted about and I was surprised that I hadn't actually shared that much. I still have many more weird/funny/horrifying tales to tell.

This is the story of my worst GMing job ever. The game itself was actually fairly fun, but I made so many stupid stupid mistakes. This was many years ago and it was the first time I ran any game other than D&D. The game was GURPS, 3rd edition and I was still thrilled by the system because of how many possibilities it offered. Prior I had only owned fairly specific games like D&D and Shadowrun, so a universal system like GURPS was awe-inspiring.

To prepare for running the system I experimented with it, making several characters (often recreating characters from books or tv shows) and every time I found myself frustrated by the disadvantage limit (which, if I recall correctly was around -50 points). I always found myself running out of disadvantages and feeling like I could make a better character if the limit was removed. So when the time came to run the game I simply did away with that limit. Obviously some experienced GMs could get away with that. I was not one of them.

The premise of the game was this: the PCs are all from a relatively normal version of Earth. There's no obvious magic or super-science or anything weird going on. The characters would find themselves traveling to different worlds and dimensions. Some of them "alternate" earths, some of them fantasy or futuristic lands, whatever. However, since they came from "normal earth" they couldn't start with any explicit super-abilities. Any supernatural/etc abilities would have to be purely inherent (so for instance, you could have Magery, but not any skills invested in spells).

Although the premise is that the PCs are essentially college buddies caught up this bizarre interdimensional adventure I started everyone with 100 points and no disadvantage limit. And for reasons I cannot properly explain I accepted just about anything they wanted. Let me show you the trainwreck we're talking about here:

*Ashton was a super-spy. There's no other way to describe him. He was a trained martial artist and took every single marksman related advantage there was. He bought lots of extra starting money and used it to buy cutting edge upgrades to his car, handguns (which he kept in his car) and thousands of rounds of ammo which he kept in the trunk. I allowed him to do things like take his super-spy job as a Secret (remember they were leaving their homeworld and never returning again. This was really stupid). For some reason he had all of this just after graduating high school and was still going to college with his two friends. Despite all this his was the most reasonable and least troublesome of all of the characters.

*Anthony was Bruce Lee crossed with a sociopath. He was probably the most aggressively min-maxed of the three. He took dozens of minor disadvantages. He was vegetarian, he had a sex addiction, he was bloodthirsty, arrogant, etc. He had an addiction to fighting. In exchange he pumped massive points into his physical stats and his martial arts skills. He was a punch machine. The only sane decision I made was preventing him from taking Trained By a Master and accessing supernatural martial arts.

*Brian was the most troublesome. This wasn't because he crossed the line with disadvantages, it was mostly just because the player was extremely creative and willing to exploit his advantages to the fullest. These advantages were mainly two fold: First he was a genius and a gadgeteer on a Reed Richards scale. He took eidetic memory, massive scores in science and engineering skills, and maxed out gadgeteering ability. He also had Magery, of the variety that allows you to learn and cast new spells spontaneously when you require them (so if he fell out of a plane he might be able to spontaneously learn something like Feather Fall). This was the character that gave me nightmares. While the first two were overpowered, they were at least combat focused. The game became an arms race between me and this player to try and avoid giving him access to technology advanced enough to allow him to turn himself into a conquering techno-mage god-emperor. Again, I made one life-saving decision: anything created without proper tools and prototyping would have some of the random bugs from the IOU book.

The game was a long time ago, but I'll try and give a quick summary of their adventures.

The first world they visited (after Brian's spontaneous magery opened a dimensional portal to allow them to escape from a disastrous car wreck) was home to primitive half-men half-beasts. The first ones they encounter are hostile and Ashton and Anthony make quick work of them. They meet a tribe of peaceful beastmen whose shaman performs a spell to allow them to talk. They find out that their first encounter was with a group of warlike beastfolk. The hostile beastmen will demand some kind of justice for their murdered kin so Anthony arranges to fight one of their warriors in an honor duel to settle the matter. He wins fairly handily. Over the next week or two the shaman teaches Brian a little bit about his magical talent (although the beastman's magic is spiritual so he can't teach him spells) and Brian tinkers with the car in order to convert the gas engine into a combination biodiesel and solar powered hybrid. However, Anthony begins to be pestered by strange animal attacks. It starts with biting insects and then a squirrel sneaks into his tent and tries to bite his eyes out, and the next night a priarie dog tries to gnaw his throat open. This culminates in a fight with a supernaturally strong and fast chicken. After telling the shaman about this he reveals that he's been cursed by a demonic spirit of vengeance. The spirit can possess animals, starting weak but every night it will gain strength. Soon wolves, boars and even buffalo will begin to show up trying to kill him. There is no way to banish or appease the spirit while the target of the curse lives. The three confer and Brian decides to try and use his dimensional travel spell to leave. However, it's basically going to be a random jump into the multiverse.

The second world is a D&D parody. It's a fantasy world where adventurers were so common and powerful that eventually all the evil races and monsters were exterminated. Eventually to keep all the bored adventurers occupied towns and cities would set up artificially stocked and run dungeons that were run for entertainment (similar to X-crawl but without the audience). There the guys meet up with a friendly elf wizardress who teaches Brian a bit more about his talents and the nature of the multiverse in general. Brian decides he's going to try and get home where he'll basically introduce magic and super-technology to the world. after futzing around here for a while they jump again.

This is where things get a little vague since my memory is incomplete. They jump to a few different places: a world where time seems to be frozen and nothing moves, a post-apocolyptic setting, and a straight-up stealing of the Sluggy Freelance storyline about an alien-possessed santa's workshop. However, the main thing is that as time goes on I come to realize just how unbalanced all the characters are and I desperately try to reign them in.

For the two combat focused characters, Ashton is such a good shot and has enough ammo that he can basically end any encounter with a bullet through the eye (ignoring most armor and earning a massive damage modifier). It got so bad that I actually started intentionally making enemies with no eyes, and finally no brains to try and keep fights from ending in a handful of shots. Of course, that just meant Anthony would take them down in hand to hand combat.

The big problem was Brian however, because whenever he had the time he would cobble together upgraded equipment or bizarre, high-TL devices with his super-gadgeteering. Laser rifles became a common sidearm for all three characters and whenever anything above earth's TL showed up brian would basically begin salivating, ready to disable it the moment it stopped moving. Of course, the random bugs did help produce some interesting unintended consequences however. For instance, after arriving at a new dimension in the middle of a featureless snowscape, Brian decides to disassemble some scavenged electronics and build a spy satellite that would take a large number of detailed photos of their location and rolled for his bugs getting one that causes the device to produce a blinding flash of light, so I decided that it's scanning beam unintentionally emitted large amounts of visible light, causing mass UFO sightings as blinding lights filled the sky over several countries.

In another situation they were stranded in a universe where high-tech "gods" ruled over primitive peasants. The PCs knew that one of the "gods" collector drones (basically a very high TL unmanned light hovertank) would be coming for them soon, so Brian decides to completely gut their car and rebuild it as a full-on combat robot. The robot had anti-tank armor and 6 tentacle arms each of which ended in a gatling laser. Unknown to him, this time he had rolled an "overheating" bug. The two robots engaged and when Brain's machine unloaded its entire arsenal it quickly disintegrated the drone, only to detonate itself as all of it's weapons overloaded at once.

The game eventually petered out as I eventually tired of finding new ways to try and keep one step ahead of my players without simply stomping them flat with unstoppable firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

oriongates posted:

:words: The GURPS of Mandess :words:

I imagine it was probably frustrating at the time, but all I'm reading here is some of the best uncat unpiss examples of adversarial GMing done right. Your players had crazy ideas and you rolled with them. Y'all did good, buddy. :buddy:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Struggling to stay one step ahead of my PC's resources does tend to describe my GMing career. Almost every game I run also has someone a lot like Ashton: a super-marksman with a love of shooting badguys through the eyes. Fortunately I've learned some lessons since then and things rarely get as out of control as they did back with that group. They were fun guys but drat were they nuts when it came to RPGs, not just abusing the rules but basically playing murderhobos to the hilt in many cases.

I recall in one of the few games that I wasn't the GM (an epic level 3rd edition game) my fellow players were so min-maxed and very willing to go PVP that my character actually researched and went on a secret quest to achieve demi-godhood (Divine Rank 0) just for the sake of my own survival. And even that only helped to bring me barely even with the main murdermachine in our party. To give you perspective on the level of insanity: he was a monk, I was a wizard.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played in a Con one-shot of the Cortex+ Firefly game. Love the system.

In the adventure, the crew competes with four other ships to steal a package back from an alliance shipyard.

I played Hazel the con artist, and my main actions were:

-Screwing up the "dissing the other crews" section so bad I was punched in the face. I then used my bloody nose as leverage to whine to the crime boss who hired everyone, getting our rivals put on notice.

-Dressing up as basically Catherine from Catherine and flirting with an alliance spy until he gave up the truth.
--Slapping the taste out of his sister's mouth when she called me a skank.
-Convincing an on-board pirate captain not to shoot me (since I had friends in low places). I then grabbed part of the ship and had the captain try to vent him from the airlock.
Unfortunately the pirate had his mag boots on as well, so we both nearly got spaced.

The engineer came back from his sabotage mission, and shot the pirate captain in the back, covering the hole with duct tape and shunting him, finally, out the airlock.

--Being confused when we didn't actually steal the cargo, but planted the spy's tracker on the pirate's ship (where the cargo was).

--Blaming the dead pirate captain for everything w/r/t the Alliance and crime boss, then getting dinner with the Alliance Spy.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Okay, so I've posted a bit in the past about my current group: The Order of Magnitude. These are some of their adventures before they earned that name in our original campaign of Deadlands Reloaded. This also has the honor of being the only full-length campaign I've run that I feel was successfully "completed"

The characters:

*Killian Loosely based on Brisco County Jr. He was the party leader and one of the top damage dealers. He focused on dual pistols, eventually upgrading to a pair of customized 8-round ghost steel revolvers and (once he hit legendary) he took Right (and Left) Hand of the Devil, turning them both into minor relics. He could unload truly ungodly amounts of damage so long as the enemy wasn't too far away.

*Maxmillian Wolfgang The party Huckster, a 13-year-old with a 6 cigar a day habit. Killian put his father in the ground before the game started and kind of adopted the little psycho. Max has a fairly standard array of powers for most of his career: magic bullets, telekinesis, shapechanging, setting people on fire, etc. However, once he hit Heroic and Legendary the weird powers started. It began with an artillery version of the Bolt spell in the form of magic cannons but the crowning triumph was his legendary power: Sharknado (and yes. not only did I approve the spell, I helped design it)

*rear end in a top hat Whose Name I forgot This was one of our earlier players who was quickly kicked out for non-game related issues. While he was there he played a warrior blessed inspired by Hellsing's Alexander Anderson. He was, quite briefly, the bearer of a holy sword (basically one of the Swords of the Cross, ripped completely off of the Dresden Files concept).

*Jim an Ex-union marksman and the bane of anything that takes extra damage from a headshot. He specialized completely in his rifle, having exceptional range, damage and accuracy. He couldn't take on as many enemies at once as Killian, but if was shootable he could probably take it down in one hit. The number of enemies he had to shoot twice was very, very small and mostly consisted of creatures designed intentionally to avoid being easily head-shotted. Once he hit legendary he picked up a Sidekick in the form of a young Blessed healer. When he wasn't blowing things away Jim didn't usually have a lot to say, so you won't see much mention of him until something's head gets blown off.

*Jethro Jim's polar opposite in every way. This guy was an old, scraggly mountain man from the South who pumped almost everything he had into charisma and persuasion (he was still a hairy, smelly, snaggle-toothed old coot but drat he was charming) and the Storyteller Edge, with everything else he had going into being Hard to Kill. Jethro mainly had an extremely unsafe relationship with explosives but after one adventure he found a steampowered chainsaw and never looked back. Once he hit Legendary he picked up Right Hand of the Devil for it (meaning it's damage output was truly obscene) and dubbed it the "Arken-Saw" after his home state.

*Miss Hart one of the later recruits into the posse. She was a young lady Mad Scientist who wore an anti-gravity girdle and carried an umbrella that also served as an electric cannon. Her player combined creativity with a truly impressive lack of ethics which made for a perfect mad scientist. One of her other favorite inventions was a Reanimator serum which she would often use by killing farm animals, filling their torsos with explosives and reanimating them to serve as mobile bombs. She also built the Iron Maiden, which was basically a powersuit (with a hoop skirt).

*Patches A player who joined with Miss Hart and who played as one of her creations: a patchwork man. Basically this player started out already-Harrowed. He was the party's muscle and damage sponge when one was needed. With so many powerful ranged combatants in the party already he didn't often get a chance to shine, but it was more than made up for by the player's willingness to roleplay his brain damage to the hilt and the loud, slurring, happy voice he created for the character.

The group's first adventures were years ago and unfortunately I still don't completely remember them, but here are some of the greatest hits that still stand out before I move onto more coherent stories:

The Biscuit Duel This was Killian's player's favorite moment. I basically wanted to try out Reloaded's Dueling rules so I had one of Killian's old enemies show up and challenge the gunslinger to your classic duel at high noon. Killian agrees, finishes his breakfast and heads out. He and the other gunslinger face each other down as I awkwardly try and get a handle on the poker mechanic. When time comes to draw Killian draws first and...pulls out a biscuit he picked up from breakfast earlier, basically attempting to bluff the other guy into shooting first and throwing him off. The trick works and the other guy fires, missing killian who drops the biscuit and before it hits the ground he's got his own gun out and a bullet through the bastard's chest.

The Coin Okay, this is where the Dresden Files thievery really takes off. So the posse rolls into a town at the foot of a mountain pass they're trying to get through. The place is snowed in despite it being the middle of summer, and strange creatures stalk the outskirts of town at night. Basically, it turns out that a local landowner was secretly a practitioner of black magic and he died recently choking on a chicken bone. Now three of his students are here trying to find the artifact he used to give him most of his power: an old silver coin. They've used various means to keep anyone from in the town leaving to try and prevent each other from escaping with the prize. The posse makes short work of them however (really short work, this is the adventure where I learn just how quickly a "boss" can go down in Savage Worlds when your player rolls Ace after Ace). The group raids his house (where the final student was holed up with his weather control snowglobe) and Max happens to be the first to find the coin and he takes it.

I ask the player if Max is wearing gloves or if he's barehanded. It's pretty clear that I'm asking for some significant reason but she decides that it'll be determined by a coin toss. Heads she's wearing gloves, tails she's not. Tails it is. So, I tell her that Max has a weird feeling but very much wants to keep the coin, so she hides it away from the others. Later that night, she is visited in her dreams by Lasciel (for those that don't read the Dresden Files, the 30 pieces of Silver that Judas was paid are home to 30 fallen angels. They're helpless on their own but they're capable of granting whoever owns a coin a great deal of power). Lasciel tells Max that with a simple little ritual she can grant him far greater powers than he's currently getting from his Hexes.

Max agrees immediately and without question.

The Blessed character is woken up by a sense of growing evil and rushes into the kitchen of the house where they're staying to find Max, shirtless cutting himself with a kitchen knife and the coin on the floor in front of him, just about to be covered in his blood. The father and the rest of the posse quickly tackle Max, wrest the coin from him (with gloves). and get it tucked away somewhere safe. They eventually make contact with a priest who knows a bit about the lore of the silver coins and who is able to take it off their hands, but an "echo" of Lasciel still sticks around in Max's mind, occasionally offering him advice and an enhanced form of a huckster's normal Dealing with the Devil. Eventually both of these will become major plot points.

The Tumbler So, until this point the party mostly rode around on several horses along with a wagon toting Patches and Miss Hart's equipment. However, they came across a wealthy mining town being terrorized by ghosts. Apparently men with chalk-white skin on pale horses show up every Thursday night dressed in tattered confederate uniforms. They ride into a bank and force everyone to hand over their money, gold and ghost-rock at gunpoint. Bullets don't seem to affect them but they can shoot you dead just fine. There are three banks in town and only one is left unlooted and it's Wednesday.

Well, the posse decides they'll hang around and see if they can help. Sure enough, the ghosts appear and ride for the bank. However, it turns out they're not ghosts at all, but ordinary bandits who've been treated with some kind of Mad-Science formula that gives them bullet resistant skin. The whiteness was a side-effect and the uniforms were part of the ruse. The posse packs much more firepower than the ordinary citizens so they make quick work of the "ghosts". Well, these guys were working for a Mad Scientist who set up shop in the ruins of an old confederate fort nearby. After realizing his men weren't coming back he abandons the ghost ruse and sends another bunch of them to finish the job. This time they're mounted on a steam wagon equipped with a gatling shotgun. The posse has just started breakfast the next morning when the wagon rolls into town and settles in front of the bank. They grab their gear and get to the bank just in time to hear the bandit's leader fire into the air and scream "WE ARE ROBBING THIS BANK".

Killian unloads both barrels of his sawed off shotgun into the guy's back and yells "And we are UNrobbing this bank!"

The fight is also short and afterwards miss hart is practically glued to the steam wagon. She quickly repairs any of the damage they inflicted and the posse heads to the confederate fort to take down the mad scientist (they return the town's gold and money but miss hart keeps most of the ghost rock). After she finishes armoring the wagon and adding a set of shock absorbers for off-road driving the wagon is dubbed "the tumbler"

A few weeks later the posse is involved with an archeological dig uncovering some dino bones and end up fighting a walking fossil. In a fit of inspiration they complete the tumbler by mounting the skull on the front. At the time, we gamed using a mat and papercraft miniatures. The miniature we used for the Tumbler wasn't 100% accurate (it's hard to find easy papercraft plans for a late 1800's wagon), but it makes up for it by being cool:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

See, that's how you run a campaign with super powerful characters.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Not to mention, that's a sweet ride. The skull on the front is perfect.

Luczak
Mar 1, 2011

I recently had a pretty great moment spawn out of a PC "death" in a 13th Age game I'm running for a few friends.

For reference, we're running on 13th Age rules (in a homebrew world) after switching from D&D 4e a few months back.

The Party

Balthazar, a Dragonborn Paladin exiled from his home and who has been replacing his body parts with pieces of slain Constructs (he's up to two arms and an eye).
The player, D., has a habit of "hold my beer" style plans that always seem to somehow work out in the end.

Abeloth, a Human Barbarian who is on a quest to reclaim leadership of her clan (after being usurped and exiled by her sister).
The player, B., is the kind to get grumpy when he rolls poorly or when things turn against the party, even if only a slight setback.

Quentin, a High Elf Wizard who is on sabbatical from an Arcane Academy and is travelling with the party mostly because they're convenient meat-shields interesting research subjects.
The player, C., is the "I want to see what this does and why it does it" type.

Rave, a Wood Elf Rogue who joined up with the party after tracking them for bounty (turns out the treasure they find is worth more than the bounty). Still plans to collect the bounty.
The player, J., is the "Nice world you've built, I'm going to overthrow everything just because" type.

---

A little backstory: the party has been travelling the world doing the usual adventurer stuff - killing, questing, and starting the occasional war - and their current quest finds them on a personal errand for Abeloth. She wants to reclaim her throne, which in turn would secure allies for that war they started.

As part of an overarching plot, several of their quests have led them to a set of similar temples. Each of these temples is like a mini-fortress, and each one serves as a kind of power source for local magic. To spice things up, each temple is aligned to a specific type of magic (and the alignment influences the surrounding region). For example, if you find yourself in a region with a high psionic population, you're probably close to the Temple of Psionics. Each temple has a Construct Guardian that's usually always a boss fight, which means that the party is conditioned to expect a tough encounter inside these temples.

So: Abeloth's quest to claim her throne. The party enters Abeloth's ancestral homelands and sets about trying to get supporters for their little coup. As it happens, nobody seems to remember Abeloth at all. Even after winning a local tournament, people only seem to remember the other three party members.

During this tournament, I get to explain the prevailing magic of the region: the adepts of the clan can invoke the spirits of ancestors as a type of spectral mantle.

Operation "Get Local Support for Abeloth" doesn't go as great as hoped, but the party does get a tip to go and reclaim an ancient crown. The crown, they're told, will solve the mystery of people not remembering Abeloth. Sure enough, the crown is in a mountain temple. And not just in the temple, but on the head of the Construct Guardian. As they entered the inner chamber of the temple, the Construct didn't really respond to them... it was busy fighting a Frost Giant. I had decided they needed an extra potent boss fight to finish off the tier, so that's what they were getting.

At this point, I'll point out that Quentin's player was absent this session, so the party's down a wizard. I opted not to rebalance the encounter, deciding that they could probably handle it with just the three of them. In hindsight, that's my bad, but whatever.

They're about to kill the Frost Giant when Balthazar eats a nasty crit. Imagine my surprise when he tells everyone that he's just below negative half. Dead. Everyone at the table is stunned because, well, it was a rather sudden death. Balthazar's player has a look of "Welp!" on his face, but he seems okay with it. Abeloth's player is the one who gets upset, and drops this little statement on us:

"Come on - you can't kill Balthazar. He's Balthazar. You can't."

Funny thing, though - I'm the GM and I can totally kill PCs. It's in the book and everything. I've done it before, and this player knows it. Luckily, I have a better idea. I feign embarassment, apologize for the encounter, and offer Balthazar a saving throw as an apology. 16+ and he's dying instead of dead. He makes the save, and the rest of the battle plays out in the party's favor. It's close, but they pull out the win and return to their ship. Then, the session ended and the players went home for the night.

Some real world time passes, and we start up the next session. The party needs to return with the crown, so that takes a few in-game days of travel. Every morning, I make Balthazar roll a CON check and mention that he's not looking so hot. Quentin catches a whiff of the smell of rotten meat and, rather than make the connection to Balthazar's haggard appearance, tells Rave to throw out her expired rations.

Day 4 is when it happens: Balthazar fails the CON check. He feels great. He feels stronger. He feels lighter. He feels his limp body at his feet. He looks down and sees his construct arms are connected to a spectral version of his old body. Everyone is confused. Quentin starts trying to piece things together.

Fun Fact: when you make a table-talk plea for a character to not die, the GM might just opt to interpret it as an in-character prayer.

And, as it turns out, when you pray for a character to not die while standing inside a temple that basically governs the magic of invoking the spirits of the dead, you're likely to end up binding his spirit to his most treasured possessions. Especially if those possessions are his robot arms.

Man, the look on the player's face when he said: "Hey, guys... remember a few days ago when I thought I died? I think that may have actually happened."

Priceless.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Luczak posted:

And, as it turns out, when you pray for a character to not die while standing inside a temple that basically governs the magic of invoking the spirits of the dead, you're likely to end up binding his spirit to his most treasured possessions. Especially if those possessions are his robot arms.

Post more stuff like this :allears:

Seriously that is D&D as she is meant to be played.

Luczak
Mar 1, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Post more stuff like this :allears:

I can certainly try. Here's a "fail forward" story that takes place just before the crown quest:

Most of the time, I try not to make the party worry about supplies. I just assume they buy food when they visit towns. Hijacking an empty ship and then crashing it on a foreign island is not "most of the time". They were seven days travel from the nearest settlement, and so I made them forage on the way.

The first attempt went fine: a small rabbit and most of a tree snake. It was enough to keep them going, but it wasn't particularly tasty.

Of course, when you say that to an adventuring party, they start looking for something tasty. After some thought, Rave (the "break stuff" Rogue) went looking for honey "because honey makes everything tasty, and it's super nourishing". So on the second foraging attempt, Rave goes looking for honey and finds a beehive.

Did I mention that Rave had refused to eat the snake and had instead been eating poisonous kraken jerky she made after the last boat encounter? Rave's player decided that she wouldn't be thinking too rationally at this point, and so Rave got really excited at the prospect of honey. So excited, in fact, that she opted for the fastest plan to get honey. She climbed the tree and started cutting away at the hive. The hive responded by plummeting to the ground, smashing open, and releasing three dozen bees.

I don't have a stat block for the Northwestern Dire Bee. A stat block would be irrelevant, because the Dire Bee always wins initiative and only makes one attack before dying. This attack deals 1 damage. However, I do have 9 d20s: 36 attack rolls later, Rave has 1 HP, no honey, and a heart set on vengeance (and honey).

The next day, she goes hunting for a second hive. She most certainly finds one.

She gets Balthazar (not yet a ghost) to help her, and they start a small fire. The new plan is to smoke the bees to sleep, then bundle them tightly in an adventuring pack. And then hold the pack underwater. The fire seems to work and they get the bag around the hive without issue. It is closed and bundled tightly, and then held under the surface of a river. No bubbles emerge, so Rave lifts up the pack and opens it.

The bag opens and the bees strike. On a related note, Rave learns that the pricey adventuring bag she bought in the wharf district is waterproof.

Rave returns to the group badly stung, but carrying a hive full of honey.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Continuing tales of the pre-order of Magnitude: The silly bits.

So, something you should know about me as a GM. I have a problem with remaining serious and dedicated to any single "mood" in my games, which means I can go on very wacky tangents. Fortunately my group is very tolerant of these and only occasionally pelts me with dice and poker chips. These were two "themed" adventures which I ran at various points during the Deadlands campaign. One occurred in October, the other the next year in December.

Halloween Adventure

This adventure happened after the Order had already latched firmly onto the main plot thread of the campaign: gathering up as many of the silver coins as they could for safekeeping both to control the power of the Fallen Angels and preventing them from falling into the hands of the campaign's main villian, Nicodemus, for his own nefarious purposes.

Well, their progress was interrupted when a twister rolls along, picking up the Tumbler and the posse and dropping them (mostly) intact somewhere in the middle of Kansas. The Tumbler does spring a few leaks and busts some seams so Miss Hart will have to take a few days to repair it (her player was absent at the time). Meanwhile, the posse follows a nearby road to find any sort of town or settlement. While passing a cornfield they hear a commotion and discover a large-headed fellow (who they later learn is named Charles) and his dog surrounded by by a group of animated scarecrows. They fill the scarecrows full of holes and upon investigation find that along with straw these things are stuffed with human organs. Charles isn't too bright but he's able to fill them in on some of the local events. Apparently strange attacks have been occurring all over the area.

The do a bit of digging with the locals and eventually learn that it looks like Nicodemus actually lived around here a few years ago, disguised as a priest and then faking his death. They decide to poke around the old church. They're attacked by a swarm of crows, which actually turns into quite a tough fight as they don't have any convenient area of effect attacks that wouldn't also blow themselves up, and bullets are fairly ineffective. However, they do manage to take care of them and find a secret door leading to an "anti-chapel", basically a distorted mirror image of the regular church with blasphemous symbols and a human corpse impaled on the cross at the altar.

Below the church they find what appears to be a mostly cleared out laboratory. They do discover a few research notes that give them a couple of hints as to Nicodemus' plans and also find out he apparently had a mentally challenged young assistant who aided him in his experiments here.

Out of any further leads the group heads back to the hotel where they're staying and they get some shut-eye. Max stays up chatting with the demon in his head who gives him some additional insight onto the nature of the notes they've discovered. He also notices someone sneaking around outside, a man holding something wrapped in a filthy blue blanket. Max stays hidden and watches him as he comes up to a tree growing behind the hotel and starts burying something at its roots. After the man finishes he hurries off any Max goes to investigate, with a little digging he finds what appear to be several large seeds that resemble pumpkin seeds but pitch black. On picking one up he finds they have sharp, serrated edges and accidentally cuts his hand. Suddenly the seed wriggles out of his grasp and lands in the dirt and it (and the others) begin burrowing deeper in the soil. Max tries to retrieve them but before he can dig deeply enough the tree begins to shake and several branches lengthen to whip down and snatch at him.

His yells bring the rest of the PCs running and they engage in another tough fight. The thing is huge, tough and lacks any convenient weak points but they eventually manage to bring it down. After max describes the man he saw the locals identify him as Linus, the simpleton who the priest took as his ward. Ever since the priest "died" Linus has been on his own, staying at a farm where he raises some of the most impressive crops in town, although he rarely seems to bother trying to sell them.

Well, the posse heads out to try and get some answers from Linus, they find his farm surrounded by Scarecrows mounted on poles. These don't seem animated but they do emit a practically palpable wall of fear. It takes several minutes but they eventually manage to gather their courage and push through. After showing up at the farmhouse they find several bizarre botany experiments involving human remains as fertilizer and some more animated scarecrows. They also find a map showing what appears to be a pumpkin patch grown in the shape of a pentagram. Heading to the pumpkin patch they find Linus, naked and washing what appears to be a house-sized pumpkin in blood. They don't bother to ask questions and just open fire on the lunatic. Linus is badly wounded but hugs the pumpkin and sinks into the giant squash, which then rips itself free of the ground on huge vines and begins to attack, joined by smaller animated pumpkins. Jethro is the hero of this fight, taking down the pumpkin (which is highly bullet resistant) with several pounds of dynamite.

By the way, if you haven't figured it out yet let me dispel any shreds of respect for me that you might have by admitting that I did send my group on an adventure scenario based on the Peanuts comic and had them battle the Great Pumpkin.

My next adventure was christmas based and took place quite a bit later, I think around the time the team was hitting Heroic rank. The literary reference was also much more obvious. They come to a town on Christmas Eve which is celebrating because not only is it Christmas but the town's local rich bastard has also died (E. Skrüj of course). Since he had no next of kin and no official will the judge declared that his money was to be used for the good of the town. They're singing, carrying on and have several large wooden barrels full of hot chocolate set up that everyone was enjoying. However, that evening during the celebration several of Skrüj's former servants show up carrying a vaguely treelike object made of metal which they set up in the town square and wrap with several yards of wire from which hang newfangled electric bulbs. One of them starts cranking and the lights flicker and a strange hum is heard. Above the tree appears a ghostly figure somehow generated by the device: it is a projection of Skrüj himself.

He harangues the town, revealing that he recorded this prior to his death and he has prepared to exact vengeance on the miserable little town who hated him so. He states that he has designed three vengeful terrors who will deliver his wrath before christmas day breaks. With that the device sputters out and the two servants collapse. They're nothing but corpses animated by strange devices plugged into their neck.

The first terror of Christmas is a large red-and-white furred beastman with terrible claws who begins stalking through the town, picking off victims one-by-one. Predator style. Eventually the PCS figure out it's targeting primarily former employees of Skrüj and they split up to protect the remaining families. Fortunately by being prepared they manage to take it down without any further casualties.

The second terror is less subtle. A giant snowman. About 40 feet tall. It plods out of the darkness and for the most part it ignores the townsfolk and simply smashes buildings, seemingly intent on destroying all shelters in the town and exposing everyone to the cold. It basically ignores bullets but by this time most of the posse is packing incendiary rounds, which definitely sting. Max really turns this fight around however when he has the bright idea to use his Telekinesis to hurl barrels of hot chocolate into the monster. It goes down quick after that.

The final terror is a giant sleigh pulled by steampowered, flying reindeer and carrying a massive Automaton housing Skrüj's brain. Fortunately the team focuses on the reindeer first and manages to ground the sleigh and then makes short work of Skrüj.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

oriongates posted:

Continuing tales of awesome

You sir, you rock as a GM!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I've got a ton of these stories so I may just post something every day at this point.

The Main Plot

So, this is the part of the campaign that is the most fuzzy for me, so it's got the least details but it's useful to understand what comes later. The previous stories all occur around this period, I just couldn't really pin down an exact order or time to them. The only thing I can say for sure is that everything started after Max got ahold of that coin. Let me also remind you that this is heavily plagiarized.

After it became clear that the coin was possessed by a malevolent spirit I mentioned that the party's Blessed knew a priest not too far away who was also an expert demonologist. Well, they go to see the priest and he informs them of the backstory of the coins: there are 30 of them, each of them home to a fallen angel who will offer power and knowledge to the bearer of the coin and ultimately use them as a tool to work their will on the world (my version of the Deadlands setting focuses a bit more on the christian forces of good and evil rather than the Reckoners). In fact he's got one of the coins himself in a storage chamber beneath his church to keep it from contacting anyone else. He adds Lasciel's coin as well to ensure that they're kept locked up.

The PCs wander a little after this, following minor plot points here and there, but eventually Max gives into the temptation to use some of Lasciel's power (via the shadow in his head) and gets just a tiny bit possessed. After the rest of the posse subdues him he admits to hiding the existence of the fallen angel's influence. To try and get it purged the PCs head back to their priest friend to see about fixing him up. However, before anything can be done the town is attacked by a giant airship dropping firebombs and monstrous bat-men flying down and snatching people up. Initially they tried to gather up refugees in the tumbler to get them somewhere safer. However, one of them (a woman they rescued from attack by a bat-thing) turns out to be a fake when she transforms into a hideous abomination and attacks. It turns out she's the bearer of one of the other coins. Fortunately the holy sword the Blessed carries is extremely effective against her and she's killed and the party retrieves her coin (safely).

They arrive at the church just in time for it to collapse in flames. While the demons can't encroach on the holy ground, the blimp's firebombs have no such restriction. They manage to dig the priest, still alive, from the rubble and he's got the container holding the two coins that were left there. However, this is just about when not one but three coin-bearers show up. Two of them are hideous monsters but one just appears to be a dapper-looking man in a waistcoat and tie, but with a huge, coiling shadow trailing behind him. The posse engages but other than the Blessed their weapons have a really tough time actually hurting them and the human-looking one seems basically invulnerable. No matter how badly he's injured he simply heals again. The PCs are overpowered and one of the demons manages to snag the coins they have (including the third one they just snatched).

Now, I don't recall what exactly I had planned to let the PCs get out of here but this is just about when the Blessed's player got his rear end booted from the game. Although it was tempting to have a meteor turn the character to paste I decided to use him as a plot device instead. The Blessed managed to get a heroic second wind and ended up sacrificing himself to hold off the demons and give the rest of the posse time to escape (although sans coins).

After they escape and engage in a few more hijinks along the way the shadow in Max's head decides to give him a bit of an info-dump. You see, Lasciel was expecting to get a new host after the other coin-bearers took her back. However, that still hasn't happened which is bad news for her. She reveals to Max that the human-looking coin-bearer is an ancient man called Nicodemus, he and the Fallen Angel he's bonded to have had the longest relationship of any coin-bearer and while most Fallen Angels eventually overwhelm their partner's ego and turn them into nothing more than tools, Nicodemus and his demonic passenger seem to be equal partners. The two lead a fair-sized "faction" of coin-bearers in grand schemes to bring hell to earth. She believes that he and his crew might be gathering up coins belonging to more independently minded Fallen Angels for some grand purpose.

Shortly after this was my Peanuts-themed adventure which allowed the PCs to get ahold of several notebooks used by Nicodemus in the past. With those and help from Lasciel they figure out that he's trying to create something referred to as the Crown of Tears, an artifact produced by melting down 18 (6+6+6) of the silver coins, demolishing the consciousness of the Fallen Angels within while retaining their power. With the crown, Nicodemus would be next to omnipotent.

So begins the main thrust of the campaign, to get ahold of any of the coins that they can in order to try and slow or stall Nicodemus's progress while figuring out some way to deal with his damned invulnerability and put him down for good.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Isn't that pretty much the exact plot of some of the Dresden Files books?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Punting posted:

Isn't that pretty much the exact plot of some of the Dresden Files books?

Completely. As I mentioned in most of my past entries I stole a buttload of plot material from Dresden Files (among others, there's an adventure later where I use elements of the Preacher comic, Big Trouble in Little China and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comic.)

In fact the biggest difference between my plot and the original Dresden Files is how eager Max is to take advantage of the power of a Fallen Angel, for a long time it was quite likely that he'd end up being the "final boss" rather than Nicodemus.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That would actually be pretty rad, especially if Max continued to play himself.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Not my story, stolen from a /tg/ anonymous poster but it's a story none the less.

quote:

Gather ‘round chummers, as I tell you the tale of a lone technomancer with a grand vision. A technomancer who dreamed of the day when the sixth world is at long last released from the oppressive grip of the global megacorporations, leaving the cyberpunks to take back the streets. This is the story of how he set a plan in motion to make that dream a reality - a grand scheme involving espionage, deceit, a stolen orbital kill satellite, and a passionate desire to see the world burn.

A bit of background is needed first, to explain how our team found itself in the position to try bringing the megacorporations to their knees. Our intrepid team of shadowrunners consisted of the following:

I played Bloodworx, a Turkish Ork Street Samurai. High on painkillers and low on empathy for his fellow man, Bloodworx was a directionless, nihilistic ex-corporate bodyguard who found himself running because he couldn’t figure out what else to do with his life once budget cuts caused his employers at EVO to give him the boot. Bloodworx tried his best to come off as an emotionally distant killing machine operator, but a few minutes to talking with him would make it evident that he was just incredibly frustrated at his inability to make a difference in the world around him.

Our Face was a man who went by the title “Boston Lau,” a smug, slightly cybered, streetwise Chinese American Human who did his best to hold the rest of the group together and formulate the big plans. Even when the situation around him was clearly fragged six ways to sunday he did his best to convince himself he was still in control, since figured it was the only way he could convince the people around him of the same.

Our Mystic Adept/Infiltrator was an dwarven woman who went by Daze, an outgoing thrillseeker with more piercings in her face than my street sammie had cyber in his body. She was by far the friendliest member of our group, but also in constant need of reassurance and positive feedback from others lest she become obsessed with trying to prove her worth to the group at large.

And lastly, there was our hacker - a human technomancer who went by the handle of “Tass”

“Tass” was the phonetic version of the technomancer’s real handle, “T.A.S.,” which stood for “Terms and Services.” He took the name because he always felt that people were ignoring him.

A little bit of time around the guy was it it would take before it was clear WHY not many people paid attention to what he had to say. While he was a wonderful hacker, he was a hardcore anarchist who refused to ever shut the gently caress up about his dream of bringing down the megacorporations. Everything about the guy bled pink mohawk, right down to the fact that he literally had a dyed mohawk. (Albeit one in what he called “matrix blue” instead of pink)

Whenever Tass got the chance, he would ramble on about how the rule of the Megacorporations was temporary, how someday the pigs in their ivory towers would be dragged kicking through the streets by the people they once bled dry, and other entiments that led to Boston Lau establishing an official “Tass never speaks at meets” rule. While Lau thought the technomancer’s mannerisms grating, Daze and Bloodworx both found Tass endearing: Daze because he appealed to her thrill-seeking drive, and Bloodworx because Tass’ anarchist enthusiasm reminded him of his own, less jaded days shortly after being fired from EVO.

Either way, Tass was not the kind of guy you wanted handling sensitive corporate information. And yet, through a series of missteps and coincidences, our crew found itself caught up in one of Aztechnology’s most secret projects.

The overarching plot that our GM had set up for our campaign revolved around the mysterious destruction of several communication satellites, which was causing a major stir among the corporate court. The destruction of comm sats was something that hurt all the AAAs, so the shadows were abuzz with rumors of the corps scrambling their best men to deal with the threat.

Through a series of investigations, our team uncovered the truth behind what was going on: Aztechnology, looking to gain an edge in their war with Amazonia, had infiltrated Renraku and stolen the plans for technology that would let them mask the signal of a Kill Sat they hoped to position over the rival nation. A corrupt executive within Aztechnology looking to move up the corporate ladder infected the navigational software of the satellite with a virus, however, hoping to bring down the satellite, frame the man in charge of the project for incompetency, and take his place as the head of Aztechnology’s space division. However, due to some shenanigans with experimental self-upgrading virus protection, the Kill Sat developed an AI instead, and began shooting down anything that got too close.

Once we had successfully uncovered the corrupt exec’s involvement in the Kill Sat’s grand malfunction, the GM originally planned for Aztechnology to task us with taking down the traitor and then paying us off to keep quiet about the whole thing while an internal team fixed the AI problem.

That would have been the finale of the campaign, had we not done a few things to massively derail the GM’s planned conclusion.

First, during a mission early in the investigation, we had accidentally gotten the Aztechnology research team responsible for fixing the satellite killed by a Tir strike team while trying to help them fix a hidden node used for spying.

Secondly, we had accidentally tipped Renraku off to the fact Aztechnology had stolen their cool cloaking tech, making them a bit suspicious and resulting in them sending agents to infiltrate Aztech’s R&D department. We let Aztechnology know this had occurred (not letting them know we had given Renraku the tip) once it became apparent this had been a bad idea, but the damage was still done and Renraku’s agents were still looking into Aztech’s possible involvement in all the events going on.

Aztechnology was now without a team to fix the satellite, and also on a timer to get things under control before Renraku discovered the role they had in the communications satellites getting blown up. Not wanting to tip off Renraku’s inside men, Aztech was forced to outsource the job to shadowrunners to get the job done. A few days later we got word that a “mysterious contractor” was looking for shadowrunners to pull a mission in deep space, and Boston Lau called in all his favors from all the political contacts he amassed to make sure we got that run. We were in for the biggest paydays of our life, he assured us.

And so, the four of us were off to space, on a top-secret mission to get a rogue AI in a signal-jamming Kill Sat under control.

Tass was brought onboard because we had managed to sell him as one of the best hackers around, and the three of us were brought on as his security to make sure our “mysterious contractors” didn’t try anything funny in the name of maintaining their corporate secrets.

We were flown to Aztechnology’ Spindle, (The command and control center for their military satellite relays) then took a shuttle out to the last known location of their trigger-happy kill sat. We were accompanied by six Aztech representatives - the project lead and his bodyguards - who came along to make sure things went their way.

Once we tracked down the satellite using a backup link established between it and the Spindle (and barely avoided getting shot down ourselves), it was time for us all to suit up. Lau, Bloodworx, and Daze were tasked with physically anchoring the satellite to the craft, and Tass was tasked with jacking directly in to fight the AI and download a list of people who had accessed the satellite since its launch to help flush out anyone involved in the sabotage.

Tass had a tense matrix battle, immediately followed by philosophical debate on the nature of control. It turned out that Tass and the Artificial Intelligence were of like mind when it came to the AAAs being douchebags. Meanwhile, the rest of us did our job in meatspace (and narrowly dodged some stray space debris). By the time the rest of the crew had re-entered the ship Tass had triumphed over the AI and brought it under his control. Once our technomancer confirmed to the men inside that we had finished the job, the Aztech exec who accompanied us gave the order to flush the AI from the system.

Tass had other ideas. He had taken a liking to the AI, a kindred spirit in hatred towards the megacorps. The gears were turning in his head, and while the successful completion of the run could potentially be the biggest payout of his life, his current position offered him an even greater opportunity…

A few seconds after the exec gave the order to reset the satellite’s systems entirely, Tass sent his response.

“You know what? Frag off.”

The party was just about as stunned and confused as our employers, who were additionally really pissed off at the hacker’s sudden bout of stubbornness. The exec repeated the order, and then Boston Lau begged for Tass to listen, but the technomancer threatened to open the channel they were using for communications up for the AI and letting it make its way into the ship if they didn’t back off.

Having none of that, the exec ordered for one of his goons to turn of Tass’ oxygen. Boston Lau tried to negotiate with him to give Tass some time to calm down, but the exec was having none of that. This was an incredibly delicate operation, and they couldn’t afford any unbalanced jackasses jeopardizing it because they didn’t understand the gravity of the situation.

Being an unbalance jackass who didn’t understand the gravity of the situation himself, this was the point where Bloodworx drew his weapon and dropped one of the bodyguards before they had an opportunity to react. At the time he was acting on his impulse to keep his teammate alive and by the time he realized how much the mission was boned now it was too late to take it back. A brief skirmish erupted in the shuttle that Daze jumped to join (it was fortunate she was just as good with close range combat as she was with magic, since magic doesn’t work in space) and soon enough all of our employers were dead.

Lau began screaming at us and telling us that our collective actions had ensured all four of us would die in space. Not even counting how much Aztechnology would want our heads once they found out what just happened, none of knew how to pilot a spaceship.

“I do!” Tass chimed over the commlink.
It was true. He’d had points in Pilot (Aerospace) since the start of the game.

Once we were back inside the spacecraft, there was a good deal of arguing, mostly between Boston Lau and Tass, over what we had just done. Once Tass had finished explaining that the AI was a brother in arms for his struggle to fight the corps and Lau realized that there was absolutely no way to salvage the mission at this point, we started planning our next move. Tass insisted that the AI deserved a say in our next move just as much as anyone else, at which point Lau threw his hands up in the air and said “fine, sure, whatever.”

The AI said that, greatful for what we had done, it would help us with whatever we wanted it to help us with. The AI reccomended helping it take control of one of The Spindle’s communication satellites, so that it could help us return to earth safely and begin work erasing our presence from Aztechnology’s databases. This seemed like a fair tradeoff for the rest of the group - we lost out on a big payday, but we gained a benevolent AI friend hidden away inside a global communications satellite to help us with all sorts of things in the future.

Once again, Tass had other ideas.

Tass gleefully told the AI that he needed its help in a very important task, which would ensure it would never have to worry about the corps trying to kill it again: the destruction of Zurich-Orbital.

Some general knowledge, combined with some knowledge checks in corporate secrets and corporate politics makes it evident to everyone how insane a request that is.

Zurich-Orbital is the home of the Corporate Court, as well as the Zurich-Orbital Gemeinschaft Bank. It’s THE symbol of corporate authority, the place where the AAA’s most sensitive deals go down, and the processing center for global currency. The reason why shooting it down is an insane move should be obvious right off the bat - blowing up the station would crash the nuyen market worldwide. It’s half the reason why the Corporate Court is situated there, since it would be mutually suicidal should anyone try something funny on board.

Additionally Z-O is probably THE most heavily defended and protected facilities on or off the earth. It’s home to the Court’s grid overwatch division, aka the most sophisticated matrix security system ever designed. Physically, the facility is protected by an array of kill sats and defense drones, and the station only issues warnings once to ships too close. Getting onboard without clearance is impossible, period: biometric scans and background checks are required just to get on a shuttle going there, and cargo is weighed to the gram.

On top of that, only the top corporate brass even know where the station is half the time. Almost all communications between the station occur using glaciered, dedicated communication relays that transmit signals to important people on the ground to let them know the big Z-O is overhead. Not even world governments can contact the station - for everyone but the biggest corporate bigwigs, the communications are one way only, automated from the station.

And Tass wanted to take it down.

Boston Lau was having none of that. He quickly tells Tass that his pink mohawk is on way too tight, and asked the rest of the team to slap some sense into the technomancer who was determined to get them all killed.

Bloodworx and Daze aren’t so quick to judge, though… at the end of the day, Daze’s mohawk is almost as pink as Tass’, and Bloodoworx is enough of an rear end in a top hat to want to see if it could be done. Lau couldn’t believe his ears, but he COULD believe the gun that Tass quickly shoved in his face as he told the frightened face that his skill was required for the plan to work.

Surrounded by a group of insane cyberpunks bent on crashing everything, and being poo poo at combat himself, Lau quickly fell victim to his own cowardice and agreed to help as long as he was allowed a way to get off this wild ride before poo poo really hit the fan.

Step one of what Tass called “Operation: Shutdown” was returning to the Aztechnology Spindle and taking it over. This was accomplished by “persuading” Boston Lau to use his voice modulator to convince the men back at base that the exec onboard was still alive , the situation was a-OK, and that they should let us dock with the satellite. As soon as we got within range of the ship, Tass threaded an exploit into the station’s panic situation alarm and blocked outgoing transmissions from the base. By the time we’ve docked, our technomancer had let the AI loose in the station’s security systems, allowing him, Bloodworx, and Daz to slaughter their way through security personnel while the AI took control of all of the station’s security drones and Lau cowered close behind. The four man takeover of an entire security station should have been an impossible task in and of itself, but once we physically eliminated the security spiders nothing was stopping the AI from conquering the entire system and dealing with most of the guys who would give us trouble.

Step two was locating Z-O This actually ended up being a harder task than killing the security team of an orbital military command center. Tass scouted the database in the station for coordinates of the base, but it was soon clear that the information wasn’t there. The best information he could find, in fact, complicated matters: there were a series of dummy stations built to hide of the real Z-O from space scavengers, each almost as well defended as the real base for authenticity.

We were reminded once more that the only confirmation almost anyone gets to the location of the real Z-O are timed, pre-recorded transmissions on secured channels.

What we were able to find, however, was a list of Aztechnology personnel currently situated in space. This didn’t include the location of Z-O, but it DID include the name of Aztechnology’s corporate court rep. At this point, Lau started begging Tass to give up and go home, but the gears were turning in Tass’ head. He pressed his gun against the back of Lau’s skull, brought him over the the station’s command deck, and used the dead exec’s credentials to open up communications with Aztechnology’s chairman.

Tass forced Lau, pretending once again to be the dead exec, to report in with a “disturbing development.” We forwarded the list of suspected conspirators found in the satellite's access logs, now spoofed to include the name of Aztechnology’s corporate court rep.

Finding this information confusing, the chairman started calling his men to figure out when the last contact between their Court rep and the ground had been. There was no way he could be in on the conspiracy if he had been aboard Z-O the last six months, where nobody could directly contact him.

We monitored his calls via a hacked Spindle comm satellite, and eventually one of his office grunts pinged him with Z-O’s last credential check-in location.

Bingo.

We sent a message that the crew sent into orbit was coming back to earth minus one hacker, who was staying behind in the spindle to help decompile some fragmented data found in the satellite. Tass helped the other members of the crew board an automated shuttle back to earth, and told them to get the hell out of dodge before Aztech figured out what was going on. Everyone was more than willing to comply, and the AI offered its services in wiping their records once all was said and done. Boston Lau said was going as deep underground as he could, hoping to wait the chaos out in case Tass actually succeeds. Bloodworx and Daze are content to take part in the riots to come, and watch the world burn.

Leaving the AI in control of the Spindle, Tass set out again in the ship with the kill satellite anchored to it, destination locked on Z-O’s last known location. Considering Z-O has its own entourage of killsats, and comms relays, it doesn’t take long for somebody who knows what they’re looking for to identify the station. Tass managed to catch up with Z-O right as it was finishing its orbit above the CAS and beginning to pass over the UCAS. It was at this point the GM gave Tass the rundown of the situation. Even with the satellite’s systems masking his ship from radar, the second he fired he would expose himself to Z-O’s close range sensors. And there was no guarantee the one burst he’d fire before Z-O’s killsat array lit him up like a noir street sign would hit its mark.

But Tass had gotten this far, and he wasn’t giving up.

Tass’ player looked to the GM. “If the satellite wasn’t hiding my signal, would Zurich be in range to send a warning?”

The GM confirmed, and the Technomancer declared he was going to try hacking Z-O’s communications relay. The GM reminded Tass that he was trying to hack the most sophisticated security system in the world, but Tass insisted he just needed access to their comms, not the ship’s actual internal security systems.

With some well-edged rolls, Tass managed to thread a sneak and exploit into the communication relay’s host server (technomancer 2 stronk). There wasn’t much he could do with it, since the thing just spat out of unidirectional transmissions on delayed feeds, and getting any further into the system would require more dice than he could throw even if he still had all his edge.

“Has Z-O passed over the UCAS yet?” Tass’ player asked

The GM said not yet, but that it would be over the UCAS in less than a minute.

“Can I crash the next outgoing transmission?” Tass’ player asked.

The GM confirmed that was about all he could do with his current level of access.

Once Tass had confirmed that the impending transmission to the UCAS was blocked, Tass’ player smiled.

“I rev up my killsat and orbitally bombard Kansas City.”

On command, the satellite set its targets and fires bombardment set to wipe Kansas City off the map. As the shots fired, Z-O’s defense relay immediately lit up and sets its sights on Tass’ ship. A barrage of orbital missiles scream into the small spaceship, blowing it apart and sending the satellite spiraling out of orbit. Tass is flung into the vacuum of space. Tass, in a damaged spacesuit quickly losing oxygen, burns an edge to maintain consciousness just long enough to see the immediate result of his actions.

Only after Tass’ ship has been pulped to the security spiders realize the attack wasn’t targeted at them. They scramble shift their defense relay away from Z-O and towards to shoot down the missiles fired towards the earth, but it’s too late. An orbital bombardment fired from a radar-cloaked satellite that the UCAS never had a chance to see coming touches down and obliterates half of Kansas city.

Immediately, the UCAS military focuses its scanners in on the aerospace where the shots originated from. They run a trace for a potential source, but the only thing in the area showing up on radar is Zurich-Orbital.

Zurich-Orbital, which nobody has any way of contacting directly.

Zurich-Orbital - which has just been prevented from transmitting its credentials to the UCAS and proving that it’s Zurich-Orbital.

The UCAS military fires off every earth-to-space missile it has in retaliation, directly at the unidentified hostile space station.

What followed was possibly the most triumphant moment I’ve ever witnessed in a Shadowrun game.

By the time Z-O realize their credential transmission has failed and get it back online, it’s too late. As soon as the UCAS receives the delayed transmission, they scramble in vain to shoot down the missiles they’ve shot off. Corporate communications around the world explode with word that the UCAS just targeted the Corporate Court. Everyone scrambles to figure out what’s going on. A single individual puts the pieces together just as the missiles breach the atmosphere, and realizes its too late.

As he watches the missiles fly, slowly slipping away, Tass receives a buzz on his commlink.

>Connected: Hans Brackhaus
>“What have you DONE?”

Tass replies with a smiley face, and loses consciousness right as the first missiles slip past Zurich-Orbital’s defenses.

The missiles hit, the global economy crashes, the corporate power fractures, and anarchy washes over the streets.

And that, chummers, is how to end a Shadowrun campaign in style.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Not my story, stolen from a /tg/ anonymous poster but it's a story none the less.

Yeah, in my head, that's how Shadowrun ends.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wish Tass had time for "Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfWU_9ZYTM

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

The best story in 116 pages of thread. Holy poo poo.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I know practically nothing of Shadowrun, but I know an epic story when I read one.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

quote:

>Connected: Hans Brackhaus
>“What have you DONE?”

The only thing better would be if he was obliterated in nuclear fire himself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's exactly how a complex player plan should work. Too many players try to make complex plans that rely on exact behavioral responses, perfect timing, and improbable coincidences, to the point where they end up as Rube Goldbergian messes that fall apart as soon as they crash into reality.

This guy just knew exactly what to do with each step.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

That is why you never put all your eggs in one basket. All it takes is one person with grand visions of change and the talent to match, and it all comes crashing down.

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin
Jul 19, 2000

Oven Wrangler
Two short stories.

I was running a game for some friends, and they were investigating the murder of a dragon-obsessed wizard. They were going through the stuff in his messy office, looking for clues.

:rolldice: (me): The desk is piled high with yellowing papers on various obscure subjects relating to dragons. The drawers are hanging open, with even more paper spilling out. One drawer is still closed, and there seems to be a small basket for correspondence - mostly pigeon-carried messages.
:black101:: Haha, does he have any spam?
:rolldice:: Haha, yeah, actually, as you go through it there's a letter there from a kingdom far to the south. It says it's from the deposed crown prince, whose father, the king, was killed in a coup. The usurper has locked away the treasures of the kingdom, including the priceless royal dragon eggs, and the letter says that the wizard is known to be a trustworthy guy, so could he please send 1000 gold pieces to secure the release of these treasures. He would be richly rewarded with even more of the royal fortune, and even a dragon egg to call his own.
:ninja:: Awesome! We could get dragon eggs! And money!
:chef:: But we only have like 600 gold between us! We need to get more!
:witch:: Maybe we can go and help recover the stolen royal treasures?
:black101:: Uh, guys. I think this is a scam.
:ninja:: How can we get the money to him? Would we have to transport it there ourselves?
:witch:: How far away is this kingdom? Can we take a ship there?
:rolldice:: ... It's really far. It'd be three weeks by ship with favourable winds.
:black101:: I am like 100% sure that this is a scam.
:witch:: How much would it be to book passage on a ship?
:chef:: We need to get some money, fast. Do we have anything we can sell? What about our equipment?
:black101:: GM. Come on. This is a scam, isn't it?
:rolldice:: Yes, your characters have heard of these letters before. It's totally a scam.
:ninja:: I still think we should try. You never know.

--

A couple months ago in a different game (one I wasn't DMing), my party was wrapping up a dungeon crawl. We and some kobold allies had killed a fungus-monster that been turning kobolds into fungus zombies and trying to slip mind control spores into the nearby town's cheese supply. Its human lackey, who was the mastermind behind the cheese-poisoning conspiracy, panicked and started to book it out of the cave we were in, and nobody was close enough to tackle him. Our wizard tried to cast a Web spell to restrain him. Now, in this system the Web spell is sort of medium-level, and it was above the wizard's own level, so there was a risk that it would go wrong somehow. Sure enough, the wizard failed his save, and the spell failure table gave a result of "cast another random spell of the same level at the same target." In this case the random spell was Enlarge. The lackey's shoes suddenly became clown shoes, and he fell over, went skidding across the ground, and fell into a fungus pit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

^ So were those guys being serious or just playing their characters as fucktards?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I could see my group running after a spammer like that. I mean, who hasn't wanted to send a group of confused, then enraged murderhobos after one of those asshats?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A critical failure on a search check once led to my Soldier in a Spycraft game mistaking a Nigerian Prince scam for a vital clue that she ran to the rest of the group to show off eagerly, only for them to recognize it and have a good laugh at her expense. Patricia Gallagher was not very good at the spying part of things, and always failed in hilarious ways when she tried to help.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Okay, so this story isn't really a pen and paper story, but it is one about group dynamics and most importantly lets me put up a snappy title. But first, let's get out a little background I think is necessary to understand the atmosphere that lead to this.

I played Final Fantasy XI back in the day, and for those who didn't play an MMO before WoW set the standard you'll need a few explanations. XI was designed such that eventually you have to party to fight anything worth experience, and the only really efficient way to level from there is to go to specific monster-infested areas. Those areas are designed to have large concentrations of monsters of a certain level range, and then a smattering of monsters that wander through the areas which is several levels higher than that (and are thus impossible for a party capable of leveling off those other enemies to successfully fight). In addition the areas were a lot smaller than what WoW offered, and the most common way of avoided death when you aggroed those high level monsters was to leave the zone entirely. Lastly, this was also back when death was supposed to be very punishing, so dying meant you lost an amount of experience equal to ten percent of the total required for you to level (which meant if you had less than ten percent accrued when you died, you could be de-leveled). Without further ado:

That Time I Watched Collectivism Collapse Before My Eyes

So I was a ways into the game and had moved on to the newest leveling area, the Yuhtunga Jungle outside of the two of Khazam. It was a unique hell as compared to the previous ones because the jungle was comprised of very narrow paths instead of open fields. The problem with that is that when people zone after aggroing the dangerous enemies (in this case, the lovely Goblin Smithies), the enemies will then path back to their normal patrol location and will aggro on anything they come across along the way. So basically if any of the parties in a particular zone pissed one off, everyone had to drop what they were doing and leg it or risk getting splattered when the Smithies came back around.

After about the fourth time that happened in an hour, I decided I was pretty sick and tired of it and said so to my group at the time. They agreed that it sucked but didn't really see anything else to do since we couldn't kill them ourselves. But then I had a thought. See, they weren't so high of a level that we couldn't damage them, just high enough that no party no matter how skilled could really get them down by any more than a third to a half of their total HP before being wiped. So I asked them, what if we got all of the parties in the area together (probably about fifty players total) and just all worked together to kill each of the Smithies? They thought it was just crazy enough to work and encouraged me to try and make it happen. So I got on the area chat and convinced all the other parties to come together for it. And gently caress did it ever work, we slaughtered each of the Smithies and only lost maybe four or five people per Smithy (and they were quickly raised since we had all the White Mages working together). And each time they respawned everybody came back together and we killed them again.

For two hours everything was good, parties slaughtered and leveled joyously without fear of random death from taking one step too far to the right or a single lapse in attention. It was a loving miracle, and that's why it was too beautiful to live. Each time we killed a respawn, more and more people started to grumble that they died during the fight with the Smithy and eventually wonder aloud if it might not be easier to just avoid the Smithies. I did my best to keep it from falling apart, but the forces of social entropy would not be denied and by the end of the third hour it had completely fallen apart and we all went back to cowering in the shadows, waiting for a single mistake to get us killed.

That was the end of my enjoyment of FFXI though I still played for another month or two after, as well as a tiny piece of my faith in humanity at large. :(

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Thanks for this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If my players started falling for in-game spam I'd drop absolutely everything and accomodate their every wish in pursuing their goal, laughing all the way to the inevitable conclusion.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

More the the Deadlands Files adventures.

So, after a few less-memorable adventures my PCs have managed to occasionally foil the plans of Nicodemus and snatch a few of the silver coins from his minions and deliver them to safekeeping in Deseret (the largest collection of Blessed to be found in the region). However, they've also had several snatched from them by coin-bearers and only barely managed to escape with their lives. At this point they've found Nicodemus must be only a few coins away from success (although they've whittled the coin-bearers down to Nicodemus and his two most powerful lieutenants. Well, they've learned that probably the last unclaimed coin in the Americas is located in California, in the region of Shan Fan.

This will be the farthest West the group has gone so far, They have a few run-ins with Guardian Angels harassing innocent folk and the occasional restless ghosts but overall the trip is uneventful and they arrive in Shan Fan to meet with a contact who might be able to give them some info. They learn the city is basically torn apart by the power struggles of many different gangs, all of them being manipulated by the Dragon Emperor who plays them against one another. Their carefully planned schemes to locate the coin are immediately dropped when they find out that someone has stolen the Tumbler while they slept! At this point nothing is more precious to the team than their steam wagon (which by now has been heavily customized and is more like a tank) and they go on a Tarantino-esque quest for vengeance. However, before they can locate their vehicle and put down the animals who dared to touch it they're tricked into a lunch of drugged dumplings by a double agent.

They wake up in a metal chamber tied to wooden chairs. An immensely muscular, shirtless man enters the room and uses a series of chains to open up a giant metal trapdoor which opens up into what appears to be a deep well full of ghostly shapes and tortured souls. The PCs are all completely disarmed but Patches manages to bust free of his bonds and grapples with the man who proves to be a skilled martial artist. However, Patches is victorious in the end and tosses the brute down the shaft into the pit of ghosts. He then frees everyone else and they make their escape.

...forgetting to close the entrance to the pit of ghosts.

Well, they fight a few more martial artists and locate their equipment. They appear to be in some kind of large underground structure or mine. While trying to locate an exit they stumble upon the coin they're seeking. It is attached to a host, stuck to the forehead of a withered old man, horribly tortured, blinded and impaled on living bamboo shafts. It seems that the Dragon Emperor has been using the coin as a source of knowledge and advice, but has been wise enough to avoid using it directly. The host is clearly only being kept alive by the coin, so the PC puts the fellow out of his misery and snatches the coin.

This is also the point when the ghosts from the well surge up from the ground and the walls. The PCs run for it, knowing that there's no chance against that many spirits. They make it to the surface and find out they're on an island off the coast of Shan Fan. Fortunately there are several boats moored near the entrance to the underground hallways. Unfortunately none of the PCs have the boating skill. After they cast off they quickly lose control of the boat and crash against rocks. None of them have Swimming either.

They end up being saved by the net of a passing fisherman. The man is Chinese and knows zero English but the PCs manage to get across that they want to make it to Shan Fan. The players are exhausted from their ordeal and fall asleep as the man navigates a route through the Maze. When they wake up they find that they're in Shan Fan's harbor and the boat appears to have transformed into a decayed hulk with no sign of the helpful fisherman.

There's no time to consider this as they wake up right when Nicodemus arrives in his airship, bombarding Shan Fan while the Dragon Emperor's forces fight back with rockets and war-kites. Unwilling to leave without the Tumbler the PCs search through the blazing inferno of the city, rescuing a few endangered innocents and killing a few gang members or demons. They finally find it half-buried under a burning warehouse but they manage to get it running and burst out, driving out of town and never looking back.

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin
Jul 19, 2000

Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

^ So were those guys being serious or just playing their characters as fucktards?
100% serious. The players didn't get the Nigerian Prince reference. It would have been pretty funny to follow through, but I'd already had to reconstruct the whole adventure that session from a hack-and-slash to a murder mystery on the spot and really didn't want to do it again.

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 22, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I actually have a plot involving a prince coming up in my game, I might just drop my plans for that entirely and go with the spam thing.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I actually have a plot involving a prince coming up in my game, I might just drop my plans for that entirely and go with the spam thing.

The Spanish Prisoner is an uncommon enough plot device (nowadays, at least) that I could see it working on a PC group if you dressed it up right. It could even provide a hook for a follow-up adventure, if your players fall for it hard enough and want revenge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin posted:

100% serious. The players didn't get the Nigerian Prince reference. It would have been pretty funny to follow through, but I'd already had to reconstruct the whole adventure that session from a hack-and-slash to a murder mystery on the spot and really didn't want to do it again.

Wow.

I'm sorry, but there's no hope for them.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

That... That is beautiful.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin posted:

See now I want to actually play this straight. They buy into the thing and send their gold over and nothing seems to happen immediately. They think it was a total waste of money. But then eventually, wayyyyy down the line, they're off doing something and in a tight spot, and then it turns out the Nigerian Prince is actually real and bails them out of it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

oriongates posted:

Unwilling to leave without the Tumbler the PCs search through the blazing inferno of the city, rescuing a few endangered innocents and killing a few gang members or demons. They finally find it half-buried under a burning warehouse but they manage to get it running and burst out, driving out of town and never looking back.

The image of that exit reminds me of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm really surprised that you didn't actually just go with it and make it a plot point. The guy was obsessed with dragons. Wouldn't he be obsessed enough to chase rumors of dragon eggs, and try to track down the Nigerian prince?