Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Voting E for the political vote, since I don't want to see the Ghost Bears smoked just yet.

Voting G for combat theater, since I want to see one of the few smart clanners whup some rear end after getting punked by that god damned hill in the last scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

Voting E for the political vote, since I don't want to see the Ghost Bears smoked just yet.

The 45 (or so) of them in the invasion fleet thank you for your consideration!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:saddowns:

Doh.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Don't feel bad!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Gotta go with C: “Such a childish bluff from a man who isn’t even a warrior.” and E: There’s No Way I’ll Lose

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
C and F

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011
Political Vote 15b
B) “This requires consideration.”
Running is not the clanner thing to do and and just rushing in is foolish.

Combat Theater Vote
E) There’s No Way I’ll Lose
I'll resist the lure of the mystery vote and the awesome pirate fight with lasers, electric guitars, and explosions for now.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I might be next on the chopping block... Oh god decisions :ohdear:

A, triumph without peril brings no glory :black101:

I, tough choice but still can't back down from merc action

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

B since I like how the snow ravens is one of those who put importance in aerospace superiority.

G as I want to see a sane clanner do well.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
A

I

Bring on the Crescent Hawks!

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
C
Nuke the warships? I dare you.

I
Crescent Hawks

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
B for the clans being angry but not dumb, killing Amaris is the goal here, and they just seen how advanced some of the tech they're fighting is, and how dishonourably the spheroids are willing to be in using it.

I'm torn between Pirates (Centurion with a wrecking ball!) and Mercs but I have to go for I. Hiring fractious mercenaries using new money is never not a good idea.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Combat theater: C) King of the Pirates

Pirate fight!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

B and C.

I wanna be pirate king :yarr:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Weissritter posted:

B since I like how the snow ravens is one of those who put importance in aerospace superiority.

G as I want to see a sane clanner do well.

We need more votes for G, it'll be like the reverse of clan eugenics programs breeding for idiots! The thread eugenics program can breed smart ones!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A E :getin:

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I'm working under the assumption that once again, the vote determines the reality of the situation. My political vote is for C.

The idea that there are a limited number of jump points to mine is absurd. All points outside of a roughly spherical zone of exclusion are valid destinations for transit, it is primarily custom and fear of misjumps that leads to the nadir and zenith points being used. A fear that the clan warships, operating without accurate trade maps, must already overcome with every jump.

What do the clan invaders care for the homeworlds? An honorable death is preferable to defeat. Life in the conquered Inner Sphere superior to shame on the Clan homeworlds. If Amaris would bid his homeworld, is it not fair that the Snow Ravens bid their own? Let the Inner Sphere, the Periphery, and the Clan worlds burn alike. And when the victors stand upon the ashes of humanity, let them write that it was Amaris who invited this.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Political Vote 15b

Those are some... fine options. But honestly, why is there no option for devious betrayal? This is Clan Snow Raven after all. Where is the "intentionally trick other clans into a nuclear minefield" option? If that is C it's my vote. Otherwise abstention! If the IlClan has to either take Terra or kill Amaris, Snow Ravens have already lost. But there is still one way to possibly become IlClan - by default.

Combat Theater Vote

Gotta be G. Rare that I find a Clanner I actually like. Would be easy to root for the GoonMechwarrior in this case.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheBlandName posted:

The idea that there are a limited number of jump points to mine is absurd. All points outside of a roughly spherical zone of exclusion are valid destinations for transit, it is primarily custom and fear of misjumps that leads to the nadir and zenith points being used. A fear that the clan warships, operating without accurate trade maps, must already overcome with every jump.

If you're willing to jump in outside the Oort Cloud and whatnot, I guess. If you're facing an enemy willing to deploy nuclear weapons, though, coming in from that far away is a literal death sentence. At that distance you are also dependent on using your fusion reactor to recharge your drive, which is another problem if you're planning on burning 3-4 weeks' fuel burning in to system.

quote:

What do the clan invaders care for the homeworlds? An honorable death is preferable to defeat. Life in the conquered Inner Sphere superior to shame on the Clan homeworlds. If Amaris would bid his homeworld, is it not fair that the Snow Ravens bid their own? Let the Inner Sphere, the Periphery, and the Clan worlds burn alike. And when the victors stand upon the ashes of humanity, let them write that it was Amaris who invited this.

The PTN Clans do actually seem to take their purported duty of protecting their civilians a little more seriously than the canon ones.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

If you're willing to jump in outside the Oort Cloud and whatnot, I guess. If you're facing an enemy willing to deploy nuclear weapons, though, coming in from that far away is a literal death sentence. At that distance you are also dependent on using your fusion reactor to recharge your drive, which is another problem if you're planning on burning 3-4 weeks' fuel burning in to system.

Exactly this. Also, The Snow Ravens might be the most naval focused clan - but that just means they have the largest group of ragtag old Star League pieces of crap the clans took with them, plus maybe a couple new ships that never really get used. If the NRWR is giving away orbital factories to other periphery planets just to curry favor that means they have naval capabilities a lot closer to the real Star League than the Clans ever imagined.

They might be heavily outgunned even if the NRWR doesn't deploy nukes.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
C and H!

C'mon! Who'd pass classified ops!?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
You bring up several factual objections (some of which aren't true when you examine the actual physics of Jump Points as established by Battletech canon). But none of that matters. This political vote boils down to: Do the Snow Ravens light a powder-keg, yes/no? There's a couple options in the middle that boil down to giving the choice to their friends or their enemies, but at the end what matters is if the powder-keg gets lit or not. And I voted for the option to light that powder-keg and see what happens. Will it blow up the Clans? I don't care, it'll be cool to read about. Will it be an actual setback to Amaris, whose plans are otherwise going a little boringly perfectly to be a satisfying protagonist? I don't care, it'll be cool to read about.

But choice C is going to make stuff happen the fastest, and that's why I'm voting for C.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Warships are gratuitously, economy-destroyingly expensive. Visible on a pie chart of a successor state's GNP expensive. You can build a dozen civilian transport ships for the cost of a McKenna's engine, and those are far from cheap. Since there aren't any warships left in the Inner Sphere, why go to the expense of building a fleet? If the Rim Worlders even have a navy it is sure to be quite small.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
C and H.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.
a Let the clanners smash themselves upon the Rock of Ages... it's what they want after all.

And c because.... PIRATES!
It's what Sid Meyer would want.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Political Vote 15b
Khan McKenna
B) “This requires consideration.” (Inform the Sea Fox Khans, and the surviving Ghost Bears)

The situation has changed significantly. Amaris's spy network is apparently nigh-omniscient if it can find out the location of the Clan homeworlds. Rushing into a situation like this without due consideration would be madness, so a consultation with the other Clans is the most sensible option here.

Combat Theater Vote 15:
H) ?????

We've already played as the Clans just now, and whilst Hogarth is fun we played as him just last year. It's time for something different. Something secret. Something exciting. Something potentially involving the 331st Royal BattleMech Division...and probably also the New Rim Worlds Republic as the player faction, judging by the location of the vote marker on the map.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 22, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

Since there aren't any warships left in the Inner Sphere, why go to the expense of building a fleet?

Because you know Kerensky has one and his people will eventually come back for you.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
I already cast my impulse vote for Hogarth hijinks, so for the political vote, McKenna will take it to the Sea Foxes and remaining Ghost Bears (B). The Clans have witnessed firsthand the technology and pragmatism of their spheroid opponents, and this should give them pause and try to sidestep another Ultimatum.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Because you know Kerensky has one and his people will eventually come back for you.

Yes, but that was centuries ago and we have a budget to balance right now. It can wait another year (or 200).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They never should've bothered talking with the man in the first place, he wouldn't offer a bargain to an enemy that he didn't benefit from more. C), ignore him and proceed as planned like you should've in the first place.

As for combat theater, E) of course!

It's Hogarth in an actual mech battle this time!

He could die for reals!

E!

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Warships are gratuitously, economy-destroyingly expensive. Visible on a pie chart of a successor state's GNP expensive. You can build a dozen civilian transport ships for the cost of a McKenna's engine, and those are far from cheap. Since there aren't any warships left in the Inner Sphere, why go to the expense of building a fleet? If the Rim Worlders even have a navy it is sure to be quite small.

No, they aren't. Between 3050 and 3070, while rebuilding and upgrading pretty much the entirety of their ground armies, constructing vast new factory complexes, and with substantial chunks taken out of their economies by invading Clans, the Sphere, from a standing start, put out a minimum of ninety WarShips. Once you have the infrastructure around, WarShips look expensive, but are apparently as easy as pie to put together. This isn't even talking about the SLDF and their fleet of three thousand of the freakin' things.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Based on the huge amount of space infrastructure the NRWR apparently relies on, it would be ridiculous not to have Warships. If you are going to put so much infrastructure out there it would be crazy not to have space superiority units in spades.

I'll eat an Atlas if the NRWR doesn't have at least one Stefan Amaris class battleship.

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013
B and G.

Because Clan politics is usually bloody. On both votes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

Yes, but that was centuries ago and we have a budget to balance right now. It can wait another year (or 200).

The impact on the economy is likely not as severe if we assume Amaris has done a good job maintaining the Star League level of planetary development. Two things about the Succession Wars that crippled the economy of the Inner Sphere which often get glossed over are, one, the sheer number of planets that were completely wiped out. I mentioned this earlier but, as an example, the Lyran Commonwealth has a huge patch where there are no inhabited worlds between Smolink, Medzev, Aristotle and Gallery that's probably 150 square LY. That wasn't always that way, and I think a lot of it came down to the failure of Star League terraforming technology, that also enabled planets to have more specialized economies rather than Hesperus II needing to supply much of its own food. What I'm saying is that Amaris seems to have dodged that bullet which hosed the Inner Sphere up so spectacularly.

It's also worth mentioning that he does not have to deal with ComStar screwing him over, which has been a cause of repeated troubles not only for research, but also been a severe economic handicap, particularly for House Marik.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Artificer posted:

B and H

I just can't resist mystery, and Clan infighting.

Bis the right thing and also H could be anything. It could even be a boat!

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 22, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
B and C

A 3-way pirate fight sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Checking: Nope, Amaris is still an irritatingly smug docuhebag.

Political Vote 15b
Khan McKenna

B) “This requires consideration.” (Inform the Sea Fox Khans, and the surviving Ghost Bears)
Combat Theater Vote 15:

G) Trial of Position
Mechwarrior Adrian McKenna has been disgraced and even her bloodname can no longer protect her. With nothing to look forward to save a transfer to the Gamma solamha Galaxy, Adrian must prove her fighting spirit and secure a position worthy of her exalted name if she ever wishes to face the soldiers of the New Rim Worlds Republic again.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I wonder if McKenna is smart enough to realize that Amaris definitely knows what a Batchall is (his intel is spot on), Amaris just wants to rile him up.

So many good choices. For now, let's build a better clanner:

G) Trial of Position

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
B. Flee? No. Call for reenforcements? Yes.

H. I can't possibly turn that down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

B

ALL OF THEM... ok I

• Locked thread