Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Alaan posted:

I actually asked Tabak about this on his rules page and he said the FAQ was typed up wrong and it was always intended to be permanent.

God only knows though since it was so far back AND the FAQ never got changed.

He pulled this directly out of his rear end. How was the FAQ "typed up wrong" in that a question for a card says exactly the opposite of what he says they meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Applebees posted:

Magic has seen growth year over year, but I don't know that each quarter in that time saw growth. Magic very much depends on the individual product releases, and those releases don't coincide with quarterly reports.

What it means is that Journey did worse than Dragon's Maze.

This is not good, because I'm pretty sure that Dragon's Maze tanked.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I can see how a stinkburger like Born of the Gods might scare people away from Journey into Nyx.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ramos posted:

This popped up on Reddit as it was apparently mailed to a LGS, I'm sure you guys can appreciate it.

This is glorious. The same guy (I'm assuming) caused a shitstorm on PucaTrade back in May by picking up trades for valuable cards and sending these instead:

That business card was very fancy, double sided and everything. I would have preferred him sending me one of those beta boosters though :haw:

e: it is the same guy, the PO boxes are the same!

BXCX fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 22, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Him saying there's more to come 'when this deal falls through' is probably the best, it almost turned it into a threat.

"I'M NOT GONNA STOP THIS poo poo, MAN"

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

kingcobweb posted:

It could also be that Q2 2013 was especially strong due to Modern Masters.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I hope someone attempted to trade him a brand new Tesla vehicle for that box.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Applebees posted:

It could also be that Q2 2013 was especially strong due to Modern Masters.

In theory, a limited-run set in 2013 should be balanced out by the not-short-printed sales of Conspiracy in 2014.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

This popped up on Reddit as it was apparently mailed to a LGS, I'm sure you guys can appreciate it.

Even my girlfriend who has no idea about magic found this loving majestic :allears:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tezzeract posted:

5). Magic has declined slightly but don't worry Conspiracy and MTG2015 is on the way. This one I don't actually hold against Hasbro since they probably know nothing about releases. or its possible I know nothing about Magic and casual actually drives revenue.

Casual players are a huuuuuge portion of how Wizards makes money; they may not spend as much but there's a lot of players.

kingcobweb posted:

I'm guessing it's more Born of the Gods having essentially zero tail whatsoever, which really doesn't help Journey out. Both sets were pretty conservative though.

I hope M15 and what Aaron Forsythe was saying about them playing a little too safe recently means we're going to see them be a bit more bold with the blocks to come. M15 looks really sweet.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zorak posted:

I hope M15 and what Aaron Forsythe was saying about them playing a little too safe recently means we're going to see them be a bit more bold with the blocks to come. M15 looks really sweet.

I wonder if he was refering just to Theros? INN and RTR both were pretty good blocks, DGM stank but limited before those was cool, standard was interesting, and they both added a lot to eternal formats.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah, I bought literally zero cards during Theros block because I didn't see anything that interested me that much. I could see a lot of people doing the same, it didn't feel like it had mechanics that sold themselves.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When do they start drip feeding us Khans info?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, I bought literally zero cards during Theros block because I didn't see anything that interested me that much. I could see a lot of people doing the same, it didn't feel like it had mechanics that sold themselves.

I think that history will dub it mediocre but not awful. So far off the top of my head, modern plays Thassa and MoW in merfolk, anger is played in a couple decks, Eidolon of Great Revel has done really good things for burn in modern and legacy, Courser sees a bit of play.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jassi007 posted:

I wonder if he was refering just to Theros? INN and RTR both were pretty good blocks, DGM stank but limited before those was cool, standard was interesting, and they both added a lot to eternal formats.

What good cards came out of GTC? Just Boros Reckoner? And I remember GTC limited being pretty boring, with strong aggro and weak everything else.

I tend to think of GTC as the start of the weak sets. Which means we've now had six consecutive weak sets: GTC, DGM, M14, THS, BNG, JOU. Even if no single one of them is Homelands-bad, that's almost a two year drought for good sets.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

When do they start drip feeding us Khans info?

I would not be surprised if there are some spoilers at Comic Con this weekend. Main spoilers should start 8-25-14 though, who knows if leaks will happen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wow cool, that's much earlier than I was expecting.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Can someone define weak set for me? Seems like a flung around term that can double as "I didn't like it."

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^ it's an objective diagnosis, for sure. It just depends on whether that person backs up their claims with reasonable observations about the set.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What good cards came out of GTC? Just Boros Reckoner? And I remember GTC limited being pretty boring, with strong aggro and weak everything else.

We had Ghost Dad, Burning-Tree Emissary, Ghor-Clan Rampager too, and they all saw high-level play.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 22, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

^^^ it's an objective diagnosis, for sure. It just depends on whether that person backs up their claims with reasonable observations about the set.

We had Ghost Dad, Burning-Tree Emissary, Ghor-Clan Rampager too, and they all saw high-level play.

Domri Rade, too.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ramos posted:

Can someone define weak set for me? Seems like a flung around term that can double as "I didn't like it."

1. Most of the cards, especially the "Good" cards (In Theros Block for example, any given God) are unimpressive, especially in a Block Vacuum. (I can't think of 3 cards from BotG that I'd like to open...)
2. None or very few of the cards break into any format, with older formats being more impressive. (Getting into vintage with 4 or more cards is huge, getting into modern less so, getting into standard barely relevant)
3. The flavor/setting behind the set can't make up for 1. or 2.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jassi007 posted:

I think that history will dub it mediocre but not awful. So far off the top of my head, modern plays Thassa and MoW in merfolk, anger is played in a couple decks, Eidolon of Great Revel has done really good things for burn in modern and legacy, Courser sees a bit of play.

Brimaz is played in Legacy and Vintage. Spirit of the Labyrinth is in a few hatebears decks in those formats too.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

Domri Rade, too.

Also Enter the Infinite.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

1. Most of the cards, especially the "Good" cards (In Theros Block for example, any given God) are unimpressive, especially in a Block Vacuum. (I can't think of 3 cards from BotG that I'd like to open...)
2. None or very few of the cards break into any format, with older formats being more impressive. (Getting into vintage with 4 or more cards is huge, getting into modern less so, getting into standard barely relevant)

Whether they break into other formats is often a product of things other than raw power, mostly how they fit into a format meta. The result is that "modern/legacy/vintage playable" is often a highly overrated metric. Spirit of the Labyrinth is not a good card in block, standard or even modern, but its a lot better in Vintage where significant card draw occurs on practically every turn. That's not a function of that card's power, its a function of the format.

Its basically the Slash Panther Rule.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 22, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gensuki posted:

For me, the criteria are a little different: I like to look at the set from the limited perspective first.

How well does the set provide for each archetype? Are there multiple avenues to an aggro deck/control deck/midrange deck? Are there non-standard methods of winning (e.g. mill subtheme)? Does each archetype seem balanced, i.e. does it have a viable chance of winning and losing to each other type?

How 'noticeable' are the set mechanics? Are they grokkable? Impactful on the board state? Do they introduce more decision-making into the game? Do thy appear frequently enough to see regular play? Are they fun/flavorful?

How well do the cards from this set dovetail with the rest of the block? Do the cards in the set encourage the other mechanics in the block? Do the cards open up new deck archetypes and combinations?

Then I would get into individual card impacts on other formats. A set can be full of killer modern/vintage cards, and be a flavor failure and a complete mess of cards in limited, and I would absolutely call that a failure.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

Whether they break into other formats is often a product of things other than raw power, mostly how they fit into a format meta. The result is that "modern/legacy/vintage playable" is often a highly overrated metric. Spirit of the Labyrinth is not a good card in block, standard or even modern, but its a lot better in Vintage where significant card draw occurs on practically every turn. That's not a function of that card's power, its a function of the format.

It's also whether there's a deck that wants them. To keep with the Spirit of the Labyrinth example: if there were an existing traditional white weenie/hate bears deck in Standard, I'm sure it would love occasionally being able to tell Divination or Revelation to eat a dick for essentially zero opportunity cost. But that deck doesn't really exist; conversely, the decks that play white mana sources don't really want a 3/1 dork with a relatively infrequent upside. At least, that's my perception.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The big problem I had with Theros block was doubling down on the "Gods" thing and making half of the mythics from the small sets into increasingly less useful ones. Pulling a God in a limited format was often just something that pissed you off, especially as we reached JBT and they'd get passed because no one wanted to commit to a God's colors.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I love Devotion as a mechanic and think it's the perfect mechanic to allow monocolor to compete in multicolor dominated formats. Plus the flavor of cards that reward you for sticking to a single color is great. I'd like to see what direction they could take it if they made it evergreen. (Plus if it's evergreen we could possibly see Devotion to Phyrexia in the future. :swoon:)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I liked tribute, especially the red and green cards with it. I also liked raised by wolves, and would love to see a wolf tribal deck based on it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I liked tribute, especially the red and green cards with it. I also liked raised by wolves, and would love to see a wolf tribal deck based on it.

Tribute was horrible in gameplay terms though.

You always got the worst option and neither were usually good enough to justify it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tribute was horrible in gameplay terms though.

You always got the worst option and neither were usually good enough to justify it.

In terms of limited, not at all, those things were right on par for what you needed to kick a lot of rear end.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Guys Theros still has all of Khans to prove itself better. Sure you can not like the limited (I like it a lot, personally), but for constructed there is still plenty of time.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I can't really call Theros bad. I'm a sucker for Greek/Roman Mythology (or any Mythology really) so the flavor sold me on it immediately. Mechanically I guess it doesn't exactly light the world on fire but it feels good to me.

- Scry, while not a new mechanic, matched the flavor really well and was useful on a lot of cards.
- Devotion I thought was pretty good giving Monocolor a nice bonus (at least in the first set, the multicolor gods were a mixed bag).
- Heroic was great. Curve low and get fatties, or extra draws, or my personal favorite, Clones? Yes, please.
- Bestow was awesome. Mans that can make my other mans bigger? And when my buffed man dies I still have a body on board? Sweet.
- Monstrous was pretty good. I love making fatties. Everyone should love making fatties.
- Tribute I'll admit was kind of a tank for 1v1 (I think the only decent Tribute guy for 1v1 is Xenagos' Reveler) but thrown into multiplayer it comes into it's own.
- Strive helped out Heroic and gave an interesting thing in Harness by Force. "Thanks for playing all those powerful guys for me. They're mine now. Swing for lethal."
- Constellation finally brought out the "Enchantments matter" theme the block was going for though I think it maybe should have been in from the start with maybe 1-2 cards per color that had it instead of held completely back.

Maybe it's just 'cause I'm a "filthy casual" building goofy combo/theme decks, only really playing at FNM or the kitchen table, and who cares more about flavor and fun than competitiveness though. :shrug:

Sometimes I worry about you guys who take this whole Wizard Poker thing super seriously. :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I gave up on understanding Vintage when I found out that Slash Panther is a 4 of in a top Vintage deck. I actually understand why, but...Slash Panther? Really?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

I gave up on understanding Vintage when I found out that Slash Panther is a 4 of in a top Vintage deck. I actually understand why, but...Slash Panther? Really?

It hastily punches Jaces in the faces.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ramos posted:

In terms of limited, not at all, those things were right on par for what you needed to kick a lot of rear end.

I think Tribute was alright as a mechanic, but there's really some mental baggage that comes with the ability itself. When you look at the card, you parse both sides of the tribute ability, and understand which is the better half in a given circumstance. But when it comes to gameplay, you know you're going to get the short end of the stick in almost every interaction. That's going to feel bad. Even if the card you get is pretty average, knowing that you could have gotten something better in a different circumstance makes players feel like it's a bad card.

The best one out of the bunch (in my opinion) is Xenabro, because it's really hard to tell from your opponent's perspective, which is the worse half.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheKingofSprings posted:

Plus Workshop helps pay for it. It's just a case of a card that works well in a deck that only exists in vintage (which is the only place it seems to be good), so it definitely seems weird if you aren't accustomed to the format.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like I said, I understand why, but it's still Slash Panther, you know? The card looks so bad and it's not even used in a combo deck the way most playable bad cards are. Obviously it's a lot better when you can consistently play it on turn 1-2, but still...

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Elyv posted:

Apparently that was very much a one-off thing, even though it was a 4-of. Of course, Vintage really is unexplored territory, so maybe things will continue to be strange, like really deep-sea life around heat vents. It really is interesting how incredibly specific a niche Slash Panther is in, though: it's the cheapest hasty creature with 4 or more power that you can cast off of a Workshop. It must have been weird being that guy, identifying a problem (Jace), and searching for the right card to solve it--and suddenly you're going to a tournament and goddamn Slash Panther is your secret tech.

As for Theros--I will agree that the block as a whole was a touch undertuned. It nailed though, which is important--RTR block had some great cards, but it was so reliant on "hey guys, it's Ravnica!" that it felt really meh. I mean, I've seen the guilds and what they do the first time around, there isn't really a lot of suspense here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Slash Panther was only four of for a while, I believe. It was more just a totally rogue option that no one saw coming, a sort of sucker punch. It didn't mesh too well with a lot of decks since it didn't contribute to controlling the board beyond Jace or add to combos. Since then it's fallen out of favor.

• Locked thread