Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Buy Freedom Planet if you want to Kung-Fu on motorcycles.
This game, holy poo poo. It's unlike anything Ive ever experienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stink Terios posted:

I've been saying for a while (I had an early preview build - I've yet to play the final version) that it's basically to Genesis platformers what Shovel Knight was to the NES. A mash-up of all the most memorable elements that feels like its own game, for the most part.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stink Terios posted:

And it's nothing like Sonic. Unless I'm being :thejoke:'d

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Everblight posted:

And it's nothing like Sonic. Unless I'm being :thejoke:'d

There's definitely elements of Sonic in there, but it's mostly the aesthetic (characters and loops and pseudo-3D strips and auto-running bosses). The platforming itself I'd say is closer to Ristar than anything.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Awesome! posted:

there are a couple guys in sa mart that can get it for like 25. hiddenmovement is one

e: 23.50 with his paypal fee https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

That's gotta be the Russian version; it shows up as ~$17.10 on Enhanced Steam, and all other regions including Brazil are over $30. It's possible it's not the Russian version and he just has it, but both scenarios make me a bit nervous.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Not necessarily. Believe in SA Mart! He's probably doing something shady but he delivers what he promises so there's no reason for any of us to ask any questions about it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

duckfarts posted:

That's gotta be the Russian version; it shows up as ~$17.10 on Enhanced Steam, and all other regions including Brazil are over $30. It's possible it's not the Russian version and he just has it, but both scenarios make me a bit nervous.

it's probably the russian version then since tons of people have been buying it from him. everyone seems happy with it though :shrug:

can they just like shut off russian copies outside of russia whenever they want?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Awesome! posted:

can they just like shut off russian copies outside of russia whenever they want?
This is the main reason I'd be nervous about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

People have had their accounts banned and locked for doing what he's doing. That's a brave soul.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

People have had their accounts banned and locked for doing what he's doing. That's a brave soul.

godspeed hiddenmovement :patriot::australia:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There was a russian goon who had their account locked just for gifting some non-russian friends some games for free (like how you're supposed to). I'm surprised the guys selling gifts in bulk haven't had any action taken against them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
gently caress that "kill Derek in the warehouse" mission in Mafia 2. Who thought having molotovs without decent cover and a checkpoint from five minutes earlier was good level design?

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Awesome! posted:

it's probably the russian version then since tons of people have been buying it from him. everyone seems happy with it though :shrug:

There's only one sub for Divinity:OS in the db(Not counting the 2-pack). In this case I think it'd be impossible for them to find out who got a Russian gift and who didn't at this point.

You can end up with games like Valiant Hearts which has a Russian specific sub and was retroactively region locked after releasing region free. If you'd already activated the gift it was totally fine and still works though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There was a russian goon who had their account locked just for gifting some non-russian friends some games for free (like how you're supposed to). I'm surprised the guys selling gifts in bulk haven't had any action taken against them.

I think Valve have given up on that sort of thing and now leave it to developers to implement proper region controls. The Russian guy I trade with has made over five thousand trades with no consequence.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Let's lay off the good goon hiddenmovement and talk about the 25% off Steam Cards from Gamestop:

http://www.kongregate.com/pages/lionheart-promo

Slap the coupon on and get 20 steambux for 15$.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Drive to Hell is currently pay-what-you-want over on IndieGameStand! Buy it for whatever, give us a vote on Greenlight, and if we're greenlit you'll get a Steam key! https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

To go along with this Greenlight campaign we just pushed a big update to Drive to Hell so please give it a look! Here are the abridged notes:

quote:

-= Drive to Hell v1.5 Update! =-
We've made all kinds of updates to Drive to Hell! Besides bug fixes and balancing we've also redone some of the artwork, created a new Mirror Mode, and got rid of the black bars on the sides of the screen. No more gutters! Drive to Hell now features vibrant full-screen graphics regardless of your resolution!

Please spread the word and help us get Drive to Hell on Steam!

:wink:

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
^^^ voted for you

TheCoon posted:

I think Valve have given up on that sort of thing and now leave it to developers to implement proper region controls.

Too much pressure from the Russian mob.

Just checking before I buy it: does Freedom Planet have a Humble Store widget that I just can't find? I like to pay via whichever option gives the devs the most cash, and it looks like the only choice I have is through Steam itself.

Does anyone have anything to say about Shadow Blade: Reload? I was immediately interested until I discovered it was a mobile/tablet port but now I'm on the fence because it looks like it might still be worth it in spite of that.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 22, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

Let's lay off the good goon hiddenmovement and talk about the 25% off Steam Cards from Gamestop:

http://www.kongregate.com/pages/lionheart-promo

Slap the coupon on and get 20 steambux for 15$.
IF it's anything like their other coupons they don't allow you to use them on gift cards. I didn't see it in their terms on the page but just bear that in mind.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Voting for you just because selecting a name that close to Ride to Hell is kinda ballsy, even if you didn't do it on purpose.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Quest For Glory II posted:

IF it's anything like their other coupons they don't allow you to use them on gift cards. I didn't see it in their terms on the page but just bear that in mind.

They usually don't work, but these ones do.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7074264-5-off-gamestop-coupon-for-playing-lionheart-tactics#comments

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Yodzilla posted:

Drive to Hell is currently pay-what-you-want over on IndieGameStand! Buy it for whatever, give us a vote on Greenlight, and if we're greenlit you'll get a Steam key! https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

To go along with this Greenlight campaign we just pushed a big update to Drive to Hell so please give it a look! Here are the abridged notes:

Please spread the word and help us get Drive to Hell on Steam!

:wink:

Got it from a bundle some time ago. Really fun game, I only wish unlocking new cars would require less coins.

Hope Drive To Hell gets greenlit soon.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Justin_Brett posted:

Voting for you just because selecting a name that close to Ride to Hell is kinda ballsy, even if you didn't do it on purpose.

Apparently Ride to Hell was in development a long goddamn time but I swear we picked this title way before it came out and became infamous. :saddowns:

Terminally Bored posted:

Got it from a bundle some time ago. Really fun game, I only wish unlocking new cars would require less coins.

Good news! One of the recent patches also rebalanced the economy a bit so things are more affordable overall!

And we're sitting at about 75% right now. This will probably be Drive to Hell's last Greenlight push so anything you guys can do to spread the word would be much appreciated. We've got some rad projects planned in the future!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
http://sklep.gram.pl/oferty/gram-bundle/

New bundle from a new bundle site. Not sure if the keys would give you the english versions though, for obvious reasons.

They all seem to be from the same company who did the Nightmare from the Deep games, which aren't bad.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 22, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Anyone else wish there was another Steam thread, one with a minimalist op and friends around every corner, also hot Dynasty Warriors for PC info? Guess I'm just fantasizing...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You have friends here.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

http://sklep.gram.pl/oferty/gram-bundle/

New bundle from a new bundle site. Not sure if the keys would give you the english versions though, for obvious reasons.

According to this site:

"The Gram website is only available in Polish unless your browser possesses translation option. I’s possible to purchase the bundle with Paypal! The DRM-free games are English with Polish subtitles. The Steam keys activate both the Polish and English version of the games."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hat Thoughts posted:

Anyone else wish there was another Steam thread, one with a minimalist op and friends around every corner, also hot Dynasty Warriors for PC info? Guess I'm just fantasizing...

I have never wished for anything less.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Out of pure curiosity I tried looking up why Escape Velocity/EVNova has never been on Steam and apparently the guy behind it up and left Ambrosia and all they can respond to questions about a Steam release on Twitter is "It won't happen." :( I know there's that one clone that got greenlit but original EV/EVNova looks really fun and it's a crying shame it's all due to Ambrosia being stuck hanging by a thread, because no way in hell am I paying $30 for an activation code for a remake of a 1996 game.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Just noticed Tower of Guns is half-off for the next 21-ish hours too. I know it's been a bit cheaper on a couple dailies recently but I keep missing those.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

You have friends here.

:kiddo:

Orv posted:

I have never wished for anything less.

:(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts, just make the Winter Sale thread or something in a few months. It's not like it'd take you very long to put together.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Dominic White posted:

There's definitely elements of Sonic in there, but it's mostly the aesthetic (characters and loops and pseudo-3D strips and auto-running bosses). The platforming itself I'd say is closer to Ristar than anything.

It also seems to be built on the Sonic Worlds fan-engine.

So I'm guessing it feels pretty Sonic-y.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Just noticed Tower of Guns is half-off for the next 21-ish hours too. I know it's been a bit cheaper on a couple dailies recently but I keep missing those.
Tower of Guns is pretty cool. It was the last game I got in the Summer Sale on the final day and I played it the most of any game that week. I gotta get back to it. It gets brutally hard after the first two levels. There's some Serious Sam-esque moments where you're just scrambling as a billion things are shooting at you.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 22, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So in a pleasant surprise, I had no idea game streaming was an option on computers within the same house. I knew SteamOS on Steamboxes could do it, but I just got done streaming Wasteland 2 wirelessly to my laptop.

It handled all sorts of poo poo that can sometimes kill a game running natively. Laptop runs at 3200x1800, focus got stolen by the Windows 8 charm bar. Volume and brightness adjustment overlays.

I'm loving impressed.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I bought and played through the first 2 stages of Freedom Planet. Yes, it IS basically a sonic game. But it manages to improve on a lot of things I didn't like in the old 2d sonic games. You have a great deal more control over your character, particularly with being able to basically spin-dash in the air, and double-jump if you miss a platform.

The other two games it draws from are Rinstar and Gunstar heroes - the former for platforming that's better than any 2D sonic game's platforming, and the latter for some really bombastic and challenging action segments.

Instead of rings, the game has a life bar - which is actually a good thing. It makes the game much more skill-based than just infinitely nabbing rings. Especially during bosses.

My impression of it so far is very strong. The only downside is the :words: sonic-fanfictionish dialogue-story that has me just skipping all the amateur voice-acting. However, the mute 'storytelling' that they make use of during the actual stages is top-notch - i.e. the bosses that show up with a lot of cool theatrics, the chase segments, etc.

I will play more into the game, but so far it feels like a solid A or 9/10 or whatever game. It's very clear that the people who made it really put a lot of effort into making it genuinely good. I wish more fanboys/girls would put this kind of effort into making good things based on the things they like.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 22, 2014

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Awesome! posted:

duckfarts posted:

It's not the Russian version because that one's regionlocked.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Zeether posted:

Out of pure curiosity I tried looking up why Escape Velocity/EVNova has never been on Steam and apparently the guy behind it up and left Ambrosia and all they can respond to questions about a Steam release on Twitter is "It won't happen." :( I know there's that one clone that got greenlit but original EV/EVNova looks really fun and it's a crying shame it's all due to Ambrosia being stuck hanging by a thread, because no way in hell am I paying $30 for an activation code for a remake of a 1996 game.

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. My old activation code doesn't work anymore though maybe I could get them to send me a new one if I remembered what my ancient pre-2000 email address was. I really wish it was on Steam. I'm keeping an eye on Drox Operative on my wishlist, maybe that could fill the void.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So I've been playing Contraption Maker which is on sale for ~$3.75 (if you split it) for the next day or so(?). It's rather fun and brings back some tearful memories of playing Incredible Machine as a kid. So far some of the challenges are a bit easy but you do have some leeway for creativity later on. There are some genuinely tricky levels and since it has all this user content and workshop such as well, so I think there's a ton of value if you like these sort of Rube Goldberg games.

It'll definitely be one I'll be playing with my kids (to make dem smart)and really quite a good successor in the modern age to TIM.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 22, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

It'll definitely be one I'll be playing with my kids (to make dem smart)and really quite a good successor in the modern age to TIM.

Only let them play Kerbal and Space Chem.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Dominic White posted:

I've been saying for a while (I had an early preview build - I've yet to play the final version) that it's basically to Genesis platformers what Shovel Knight was to the NES. A mash-up of all the most memorable elements that feels like its own game, for the most part.

I'd say that's apt. I think the level of quality so far from what I've played of Freedom Planet definitely holds up to shovel knight. But I need to play more of both games to really let it all sink in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Drifter posted:

Only let them play Kerbal and Space Chem.

I don't know about Kerbal but I fully intend them to beat Space Chem by the time they're 13 :colbert:

• Locked thread