Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Hello, friends.

I am in this thread to discover the best Cyberpunk animes. Akira and Ghost in the Shell (Everything Ghost in the Shell) are some of my favorite things. AD Police, Battle Angel, Bubblegum Crisis, Cyber City and the other older stuff is also excellent.

I feel like there hasn't been much in this genre recently; is there something Cyberpunk that I have missed?

The Welper fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Have you read Blame! ?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Welper posted:

Hello, friends.

I am in this thread to discover the best Cyberpunk animes. Akira and Ghost in the Shell (Everything Ghost in the Shell) are some of my favorite things. AD Police, Battle Angel, Bubblegum Crisis, Cyber City and the other older stuff is also excellent.

I feel like there hasn't been much in this genre recently; is there something Cyberpunk that I have missed?

Psycho-Pass. It's like a mashup of GitS and Minority Report.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

The Welper posted:

You didn't list Serial Experiments Lain, and that seems like a huge oversight.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.

Genocyber posted:

Have you read Blame! ?

I had not read Blame!, I heard pretty mixed reviews on this one so I never pursued it much. If it's got a good recommendation I'll definitely work on it hunt down.

ViggyNash posted:

Psycho-Pass. It's like a mashup of GitS and Minority Report.

This is a new one to me, and it sounds pretty awesome. I'll watch the first few episodes in the next few days.

Redcrimson posted:

You didn't list Serial Experiments Lain, and that seems like a huge oversight.

I've seen Lain one time, and it was a pretty long time ago. I remember very little about this one except that I did think it was pretty cool at the time. Adding it to my queue for a 2nd watch, definitely 'thank-you' for the reminder!

Thanks to each of you for putting forward some recommendations that all sound like a good time. :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I finally got around to watching the AnoHana movie and I rate it a solid :smith::gbsmith::smith::unsmith: out of :smithicide:

Not sure if it really added a whole lot to the story, but at least it didn't detract from it, or retroactively harm it or anything like that. Plus it was nice to see a bit of a "where are they now" since the story literally about the cast a year later writing letters to Menma along with being a recap of the show as a whole.

If you've never watched the series I imagine you'd be completely lost and I'm not sure how it would work if you popped it in directly after finishing the series. But, if you were a fan of the show and there's been some time since you revisited it there's a pretty good chance you'll enjoy it. It came with a soundtrack CD, a small art/character booklet, some postcards and a poster that I can't imagine hanging up anywhere, overall the set isn't as fancy as the series one is, but it's nice enough.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend some light, chill comedies and romances? I recently read through/caught up with Bonnouji, Horimiya, and some similar stuff from the Convince thread, and I'm itching for more. Specifically I liked that neither of those really screwed around for years with the main couple being unable to confess to each other, but that's probably just stereotyping more than stuff that actually happens in good romance manga.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DoubleDonut posted:

Can anyone recommend some light, chill comedies and romances? I recently read through/caught up with Bonnouji, Horimiya, and some similar stuff from the Convince thread, and I'm itching for more. Specifically I liked that neither of those really screwed around for years with the main couple being unable to confess to each other, but that's probably just stereotyping more than stuff that actually happens in good romance manga.

One Week Friends maybe? Not sure it has enough closure for you though. Are you looking for comedies and romances, or comedies that are also romances?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoubleDonut posted:

You could try Yamadas First Time, which is a comedy 4koma that has actual story progress. Its not perfect, but by the end I was happy with it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

StandardVC10 posted:

One Week Friends maybe? Not sure it has enough closure for you though. Are you looking for comedies and romances, or comedies that are also romances?

All of the above. I know I'm asking for something pretty specific, but I figured I'd at least check; I'm not really familiar with much outside of shounen action stuff and the stuff usually discussed in the seinen thread.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Servant x Service might be worth a try; it's not exactly as chill or relaxing as some things but character relationships actually make progress and it is goofy as all hell.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm not sure you can call Daily Lives of High School Boys exactly chill since it does tend to rely on comedy through overreaction shots, but it's a slice-of-life show I found funny enough to carry itself for all of its 12-episode run even though I'm not usually one for slice-of-life shows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DoubleDonut posted:

All of the above. I know I'm asking for something pretty specific, but I figured I'd at least check; I'm not really familiar with much outside of shounen action stuff and the stuff usually discussed in the seinen thread.
I'm still not sure whether this means you want chill comedies&romances, or all possible permutations (so something like Yotsuba&! which is obviously not a romance but is a great chill comedy).

However, one that I think has to fit regardless is Silver Spoon. I tried checking its thread since it is pretty popular to see if you had found your way into it, but didn't see you there so... yeah, that gets my vote.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check those out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Silver Spoon is one of the best manga series of the last few years period, not just for comedy/romance but also for genuinely informative and detailed looks at farming and how it works these days. Also it will make you super hungry when it focuses on making food. SS is super good all around.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fair warning, Yotsuba&! is currently on a very, very, very long hiatus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It doesn't really matter though because it's not like Yotsuba has a storyline of any note, if it ended on the next chapter or a hundred chapters from now, the only difference would be the amount of hijinks we'd have.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Fair warning, Yotsuba&! is currently on a very, very, very long hiatus.

It's not a "very, very, very long hiatus" until you can start measuring the delay in Presidential administrations. The last chapter was… sometime in the middle of last year, I think?

Why yes, I am a disaffected Half-Life fan.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
This is about a general thread as there is, so I figured I might as well ask.

Was .Hack//Sign any good? I remember I watched it when I was younger because I knew my brother liked it but I have no idea if it was actually good. The story seemed complex at the time but it might have been terrible. :iiam:

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Was .Hack//Sign any good? I remember I watched it when I was younger because I knew my brother liked it but I have no idea if it was actually good. The story seemed complex at the time but it might have been terrible. :iiam:

Nope. It kept having hints that it might be good, the atmosphere and music occasionally worked wonderfully together, but then nothing happened in the show ever. A million and one infodumps that never actually lead to anything happened. The few short action scenes the show deigned to give the viewer were always interrupted by monologues and consequently made the "fighting" scenes even more tedious than the other ones. If only because it felt like something might happen in those scenes and then just never did.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoubleDonut posted:

Nichijou and Azumanga Daioh, perhaps?

The Welper posted:

I had not read Blame!, I heard pretty mixed reviews on this one so I never pursued it much. If it's got a good recommendation I'll definitely work on it hunt down.

Give BiOmega a look as well. It's by the same author.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Blame and biomega are the most incredible scifi manga that are impossible for me to read because the artist can't make two eyes look in the same direction ever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Blame and biomega are the most incredible scifi manga that are impossible for me to read because the artist can't make two eyes look in the same direction ever.

It's probably a bit hard to focus on looking in one direction when you're gazing over an impossibly-immense cityscape :v:.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Anatharon posted:

4 episodes worth of story crammed into 26 episodes of anime.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Anatharon posted:

The soundtrack was the only non-terrible part of the show, and they even managed to misuse that horribly.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Anatharon posted:

It had cool ideas and if you were to read a summary of it I'd imagine it would sound pretty good

Unfortunately it had some pretty horrific pacing problems. Basically:

Nipponophile posted:

4 episodes worth of story crammed into 26 episodes of anime.

From what I saw .hack//roots had the exact same problem, though I quit after episode 2 of that instead of episode 17ish (I was literally 13 at the time and even then I couldn't stomach all of sign's pacing issues)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been re-reading Reborn! lately. I lost interest back when it was still running because the Ten Years Later arc just dragged and dragged on a week-to-week basis, which bummed me out because I usually love time travel stories. But since the series is long over and done with, I figured I might as well see where it went. I've gotten to the start of the TYL arc again in the manga and don't have high hopes. Would it be better to stick to that or would it be worth switching to the anime instead?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

I've been re-reading Reborn! lately. I lost interest back when it was still running because the Ten Years Later arc just dragged and dragged on a week-to-week basis, which bummed me out because I usually love time travel stories. But since the series is long over and done with, I figured I might as well see where it went. I've gotten to the start of the TYL arc again in the manga and don't have high hopes. Would it be better to stick to that or would it be worth switching to the anime instead?

Well, since it's already over, you might as well stick to the manga. This used to be my niece's favorite ongoing series and I can't honestly tell if she was trolling the gently caress out of me or she had the patience of a saint because holy crap. The anime is completely forgettable and marred with the same problems that the source material and, well, pretty much any other long-running WSJ adaptation (except probably Gintama).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Well, since it's already over, you might as well stick to the manga. This used to be my niece's favorite ongoing series and I can't honestly tell if she was trolling the gently caress out of me or she had the patience of a saint because holy crap. The anime is completely forgettable and marred with the same problems that the source material and, well, pretty much any other long-running WSJ adaptation (except probably Gintama).

Well, the men are very pretty. :v:

That's disappointing, but I can't say I was expecting much else. Thanks for the head's up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I guess Reborn had them bishies in spades. Curiously enough, after Reborn ended, both my niece and yours truly basically transitioned into watching Psycho-Pass, which had characters designs by the same lady that did Reborn. Hell, me learning about Psycho-Pass consisted on following a link trail that basically ended with me in ADTRW, and after a few months of lurking, I decided to finally become a goon.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, I guess Reborn had them bishies in spades. Curiously enough, after Reborn ended, both my niece and yours truly basically transitioned into watching Psycho-Pass, which had characters designs by the same lady that did Reborn. Hell, me learning about Psycho-Pass consisted on following a link trail that basically ended with me in ADTRW, and after a few months of lurking, I decided to finally become a goon.

Amano should do character design for other people's stuff more often. Her writing and panel composition are bad, but there's nothing wrong with her character designs.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Does anime get better than LOTGH and Madoka?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

WYA posted:

Watch Revolutionary Girl Utena.

I don't have a "like LOGH but better" show off the top of my head because I found LOGH too boring to finish, so I guess just watch Babylon 5 and pretend it's anime. It shouldn't be hard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

WYA posted:

It doesn't really get BETTER than LOGH, but there's certainly plenty of good series regardless. It's like saying "is there any TV show better than The Wire", you're already starting at the top and asking for more.

There's plenty of good shows though. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Eureka Seven are all standards of high quality that have excellent dubs in the US. The amount of quality series positively explodes upwards once you expand your horizons to manga as well as anime.

I made a thread showcasing many of the best examples of manga available, though there's far more than what I've listed, it's a good primer and spans a wide variety of series. If nothing else, you should pick up Nausicaa, as it's absolutely fantastic sci-fi/fantasy that is much better and more expansive than the movie.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

WYA posted:

Mushishi, Time of Eve, Space Battleship Yamato 2199, Monster, for starters.

Arguably not as good as Madoka (haven't seen LOTGH, but I'm extrapolating from the endless praise), but in my opinion at least as good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're not an Accepted Denizen of ADTRW until you've watched LOGH, what are you doing Viggy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
From the New World was better than Madoka. Off the top of my head (along with what was mentioned above already), so are My Bride is a Mermaid, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Nichibros, Nichijou, Utena, The Tatami Galaxy, Nodame Cantabile, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, G Gundam, Gurren Lagann, Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex, Penguin Drum and probably a lot more.

Madoka is NOT a bad show (the fact that it's also 12 episodes long makes it pretty easy to rewatch, too); it's pretty similar to Evangelion in that, while a pivotal and fairly influential show, it can get kinda dour, entertainment-wise.

fake edit: It did make Aoi Yuuki fairly well known, though. And she seems to be a fairly funky VA.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ghost in the Shell isn't that good. Madoka's neat because it has solid characterization and writing and wonderful visuals, plus it's the least shameful Shinbo show. GitS is a mediocre cop drama with a coating of Ray Kurzweil. If you want that, watch Psycho-Pass, it's the same genre except it has a sense of humor about itself and the protagonist actually grows as a person. :v:

Sounds like a reasonable list otherwise, though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 27, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't see it mentioned in this thread much but Ping Pong is like really really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't see it mentioned in this thread much but Ping Pong is like really really good

It really is! Probably it doesn't get mentioned a lot because it, literally, just ended like a month ago, but yeah, it's pretty ballin'.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

GitS is a mediocre cop drama with a coating of Ray Kurzweil. If you want that, watch Psycho-Pass, it's the same genre except it has a sense of humor about itself and the protagonist actually grows as a person. :v:

Sounds like a reasonable list otherwise, though.

Okay, I'll give you that much in regards to GitS, even if Batou is one charming motherfucker. Psycho-Pass is an okay show, but given Urobuchi's track record, it almost feels like a checklist of stuff we're supposed to expect from him. The three main characters are all solid, though.

quote:

Madoka's neat because it has solid characterization and writing and wonderful visuals, plus it's the least shameful Shinbo show.

Nuh-uh, sorry. For that criteria, Arakawa Under the Bridge is always the right answer. :iamafag:

• Locked thread