Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Counting up the votes so far it looks like (B) is pulling ahead for the political vote. That's good; fighting Amaris on his own terms is not going to end well, particularly since there's absolutely zero chance of him allowing them to kill him even if they win the battle on Andurien. Better to confer with the other Clans and come up with some contingency plans.

Including the fifteen impulse votes the Hogarth scenario is massively ahead with 20 votes, with the CIA scenario in second place with 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
B and I

Some super interesting options.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Defiance Industries posted:

It's also worth mentioning that he does not have to deal with ComStar screwing him over, which has been a cause of repeated troubles not only for research, but also been a severe economic handicap, particularly for House Marik.

Can someone elaborate on his relationship with comstar? Also manei dominei and word of blake, whom I vaguely know are comstar also :shobon: I'm basically clueless reading these fluff writeups at this point.

Patchouli
Mar 30, 2011
Political: B

Combat: G

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Scintilla posted:

Including the fifteen impulse votes the Hogarth scenario is massively ahead with 20 votes

:aaaaa: That was a joke, I expected everyone to immediately vote for that scenario.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Catch up with this thread just in time for a political and combat theater vote.

Political Vote 15b:
B) “This requires consideration.” (Inform the Sea Fox Khans, and the surviving Ghost Bears)
Because the Snow Ravens do love their alliances and would rather not blunder into things, but aren't just going to pick up an go either...

Combat Theater Vote:
E
More Hogarth!

The Lone Gunman
Dec 9, 2010
I'm going to say C for both. I like the idea of the Clans playing it smart, and I want to see how the pirates operate in a 3 way clusterfuck.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

:aaaaa: That was a joke, I expected everyone to immediately vote for that scenario.

Oh, right. I remember a few folks pre-emptively casting their votes for Hogarth when you announced that he'd be in one of the next scenarios halfway through the last mission, so I assumed that was what you were referring to.

In that case H is just barely in the lead. G, H and I are all very close in terms of votes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Can someone elaborate on his relationship with comstar? Also manei dominei and word of blake, whom I vaguely know are comstar also :shobon: I'm basically clueless reading these fluff writeups at this point.

Well, you know as much about his relationship with ComStar as anyone but PTN if you've read the writeups. They don't have any kind of canon ties, since ComStar was formed after Amaris was killed in the canon. It seems that Ian Davion, the true leader of ComStar, has been working with Amaris to help his agenda, but the question is going to be whether Ian decides to make a play for himself sooner rather than later. You don't call yourself "the Master" because you're really serious about being a very helpful underling. His possession of highly-advanced technology also suggests that, unlike the Great Houses, he hasn't had to contend with ComStar's ROM agents sabotaging all his research for the past three centuries, which is an indication that either the arrangement has been in place for a long period of time or that ComStar simply did not know about Amaris until very recently.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 22, 2014

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

The impact on the economy is likely not as severe if we assume Amaris has done a good job maintaining the Star League level of planetary development. Two things about the Succession Wars that crippled the economy of the Inner Sphere which often get glossed over are, one, the sheer number of planets that were completely wiped out. I mentioned this earlier but, as an example, the Lyran Commonwealth has a huge patch where there are no inhabited worlds between Smolink, Medzev, Aristotle and Gallery that's probably 150 square LY. That wasn't always that way, and I think a lot of it came down to the failure of Star League terraforming technology, that also enabled planets to have more specialized economies rather than Hesperus II needing to supply much of its own food. What I'm saying is that Amaris seems to have dodged that bullet which hosed the Inner Sphere up so spectacularly.

It's also worth mentioning that he does not have to deal with ComStar screwing him over, which has been a cause of repeated troubles not only for research, but also been a severe economic handicap, particularly for House Marik.

Just want to put it out there that the Clans want to burn all of this to the ground (and salt the fields for good measure) because of a 200+ year old grudge/blood feud. The Star League did some real nasty colonialist poo poo even before Amaris stepped into the picture.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Political: B The Ravens seem to be sort of not complete idiots and I would rather see them continue on that path.

Theater: H I can't turn down all of those black bars! I have to say though, C, G and I seem like they would be pretty awesome as well.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Political B: time for the Ravens to rally round the campfire with the other Khans considering how much info that Amaris has just shown he knows about the Clans, their homes, and the threat to the fleets showing up at Andurien.

Theater H: For fun times with the 331st and field tests of (maybe) neato stuff to kill Clan warriors with!

Edit: and kinda related to what Defiance Industries was saying above, I'm actually really interested to know what sort of crazy-rear end technology Comstar might be packing at this point considering their alliance with the NRWR. We've seen a while ago that Comstar 'Mechs have stuff like ER medium lasers already in this timeline, even before contact with the Clans. So it'd be neat to find out how rockin' this timeline's WOB is I guess.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 22, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
C. Proceed as planned, die ignominiously.

G. Not because I actually want that to be the scenario that gets played out, but because it looks like my real favorite is already winning and the success of the runner-up scenarios is determined by how many votes they garnered and she was a good character.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Political Vote 15b
B

Combat Theater Vote 15:

Wow, these are fantastic scenarios!
A, B, D, and F are solid choices. But I can only imaging the excellent writing PTN could generate for G. My vote is for G

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

PoptartsNinja posted:

I still stand by my impulse vote. :v: There's No Way Hogarth will Lose (E)!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B and H. When someone can pinpoint your home address from the literal opposite end of human space and has armament sufficient to count coup so spectacularly, it might be an idea to rethink things. Simply giving up is unClanlike. also, I like the look of the REDACTED numbers on the prototype mission.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Titan A E

I can't say no to Hogarth v. Clans. I just can't.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

B because while spaced clanners would be good, I want those fights with the Manei Domini.

C because, look, they're all pirates and have had to make some fun replacements to their machines, for example that one guy's got a wrecking ball, you can already tell the fight's going to be fun.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
C and H

So many of these scenarios sound great but I can't resist the black bars. And Amaris may be edging towards 'perfect protagonist' but he's so refreshingly sane.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
B and G

Because McKenna's survival is my fault.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 22, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Voting A., because Clan Honnorrr! demands it. Maybe the smart ones will survive, go back and change clan society for the better.

How can anyone vote for anything other then F. Maelstrom!

I want to loving see Clan Goliath Scorpion okay! Dropping elementals from aerospace fighters!

I'm actually intrigued by the Merc-option.

Voting I. Because i'd like us to get our own crew that we could follow for a while.

Affi fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 22, 2014

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

B and H. I'm betting H is our chance to play with some of that saucy new NRWR tech, or something even more juicy.

G looks awesome as well, but I'm hoping that McKenna gets lucky on the offscreen roll and shows up to smash NRWR face in the future.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

B and H for me. B for politics and H for :science:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If I could easily pick an option I'd have done it within minutes of PTN's post. As it stands, I may as well go with my gut.

B since while I can't agree with a crazy centuries-old blood purge, giving the Clan task force a chance to re-assess the situation is the option that makes the most sense. I would rather the Clans not job for the NRWR before the fight's even begun.

And a longshot vote for C simply because we never give the pirates any screentime.

But really, any of the scenarios are good. G, H, and I especially.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So is Amaris a good guy in Poptarts timeline? Or is he just more subtly insane/homicidal/power hungry than his canon counterpart? I have a very confused read on this guy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
C and H.

ComStar handed over the papers with which Amaris made his decision and it seems Amaris is a good judge of body language. ComStar wanted Amaris to use up his equipment and munitions to soften his forces up a bit. Amaris knows this and is partially bluffing. Amaris is saving his nukes for whatever comes next and is hoping for the clans to either accept a head-on battle or leave, not to ignore his threat. When they DO ignore his threat, he's not only tipped his hand to ComStar, he will probably lose some of his wits trying to provoke a clan attack. It's a tough call if Amaris really believes in this centuries-long grudge or is trying to prevent losses for a larger threat with ComStar. Yes, I'm over-thinking this, but this one I believe has to be the most hilarious option if true.

As for H: I can't help it, I wanna know what this new weapon boat is. Also I'm already sick of multi-front engagements.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Artificer posted:

So is Amaris a good guy in Poptarts timeline? Or is he just more subtly insane/homicidal/power hungry than his canon counterpart? I have a very confused read on this guy.

My impression is that, whatever else he may be, Amaris is an actor and a politician to rival any from our time. He is good at reading people and knows how to say the right things at the right time - just look at his meeting with Focht and how he utterly controls the flow of the conversation with appeals to Focht's history and misdirection with regards to the Draconis Suns. Then there's the latest bit of fluff where he plays the political game again by doing something technically against the Republic's principals but carries it out in such a fashion that makes him immune to criticism. As to the man beneath the mask, we've already seen hints that something dark could be lurking behind Amaris's eyes. It'll probably be easier to tell once he starts running into difficulties and setbacks.

And that's definitely going to happen. He clearly underestimates Duncan Marik and the Free Worlds League if his casual betrayal of them is any indication. His spy network is excellent, but it does have gaps; he doesn't seem to know that Theodore Kurita has taken control of the Black Dragon Society, which means it will be less of a threat to the DracSuns with a male child on the way. He is also an armchair general and history has shown that such people can have a devastating effect on a nation's ability to wage war.

In the end though we'll just have to wait and see.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Scintilla posted:

My impression is that, whatever else he may be, Amaris is an actor and a politician to rival any from our time. He is good at reading people and knows how to say the right things at the right time - just look at his meeting with Focht and how he utterly controls the flow of the conversation with appeals to Focht's history and misdirection with regards to the Draconis Suns. Then there's the latest bit of fluff where he plays the political game again by doing something technically against the Republic's principals but carries it out in such a fashion that makes him immune to criticism. As to the man beneath the mask, we've already seen hints that something dark could be lurking behind Amaris's eyes. It'll probably be easier to tell once he starts running into difficulties and setbacks.

And that's definitely going to happen. He clearly underestimates Duncan Marik and the Free Worlds League if his casual betrayal of them is any indication. His spy network is excellent, but it does have gaps; he doesn't seem to know that Theodore Kurita has taken control of the Black Dragon Society, which means it will be less of a threat to the DracSuns with a male child on the way. He is also an armchair general and history has shown that such people can have a devastating effect on a nation's ability to wage war.

In the end though we'll just have to wait and see.

So....he's Hitler before the whole Holocaust insanity started.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Perfect protagonist, indeed. :twisted:

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
B and C, although I'd take them all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Combat Theater Vote 15:
20 June 3034

Stefan Amaris VII loomed over his paperwork. Although most mundane requests were handled by the Republic’s senate some key requests still required the President’s signature or, in some rare cases, his veto. One such referendum had crossed his desk earlier this morning, and while the request was critically important he wasn’t willing to rush to a decision. And so he sat, tapping the tip of his pen against his desk and daydreamed while he considered the possible consequences.

This isn't a referendum. Unfortunately, you've already used the word 'request' several times in that paragraph, but that's what it is. The whole thing might lead to a referendum, though, if Amaris will consider Republic membership for Kleinwelt. I'll leave the specifics for you to figure out!

quote:

He could do without a world of future malcontents; but that lead to other problems.

You're missing a 'would' or something similar before the word 'lead'.

quote:

Blane hesitated for about the same split-second span that’d passed when Anastasius Focht had given his Amaris his answer weeks before.

Redundant.

quote:

As the timer hit zero, the face of Khan McKenna burned itself into his memory: a dark, swarthy young man of Mongolian descent. He looked every inch an Amaris, from the way his dark-eyes seemed to gleam covetously to what was undoubtedly a carefully-crafted image of humbleness.

Should be 'President Amaris', or whatever his worst enemy would call him instead.

quote:

That’s how war works! It’s why any sane society considers them a bad thing!”

'it'.

-------

Political Vote: A

The Khan does not appear very rational to me when it comes to 'The Usurper' and his offspring, at least from the updates I've read so far.

Combat Theater Vote: G

While I've wanted to see a NRWR mission for quite a while now, I'm not buying the proverbial cat in the bag - There's just too little info on this scenario. And since I'd also like for Adrian to somehow work her way out of the mess she's been dumped into, vote G it is!

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

B and G for me. More Adrian McKenna!

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

This isn't a referendum. Unfortunately, you've already used the word 'request' several times in that paragraph, but that's what it is. The whole thing might lead to a referendum, though, if Amaris will consider Republic membership for Kleinwelt. I'll leave the specifics for you to figure out!

Appeal and Solicitation are good replacements.

B and I for me. As much as I like the clans, it's time to go somewhere else.
I wonder if H would be less or more enticing without the black bars. Maybe we'll find out.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Artificer posted:

So....he's Hitler before the whole Holocaust insanity started.

Hell, he even likes dogs! :v:

Anyhow, by my count the voting stands as follows:

Political Vote 15b
Khan McKenna
A) "Monster! We’ll fight you until the stars themselves are burnt to ashes, no matter the terms of your Batchall! (8)
B) “This requires consideration.” (35)
C) “Such a childish bluff from a man who isn’t even a warrior.” (15)
D) “And live.” (5)
E) “And we all shall live.” (1)

Combat Theater Vote
A) A Falling Hammer (0)
B) Harmless Rebellion (0)
C) King of the Pirates (8)
D) Larsha under Seige (1)
E) There’s No Way I’ll Lose (8)
F) Maelstrom (2)
G) Trial of Position (15)
H) ????? (19)
I) Kalma-Youngblood Mercenary Company, LLC. (11)

Option B seems to be a shoe-in for the first vote. The second could still go either way, it's going to be very interesting to see which one wins out.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Gimmick Account posted:

You're missing a 'would' or something similar before the word 'lead'.

Redundant.

Should be 'President Amaris', or whatever his worst enemy would call him instead.

'it'.

Sorry, but even if PTN is fine with you proof-reading his poo poo. It's boring as hell to read. Why don't you just send him a PM?

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
B and H

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
B and E

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Affi posted:

Sorry, but even if PTN is fine with you proof-reading his poo poo. It's boring as hell to read. Why don't you just send him a PM?

What do you mean, 'boring'? How much time do you end up spending to read them? They're just grammar corrections and have no deeper content or meaning, so they're really intended to be skimmed by anyone who isn't PoptartsNinja.

I'm a little confused by this complaint, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B & G Give the clans a fighting chance at being less stupid and awful.

• Locked thread