Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

I...

Aww.

I think I'm in the "disappointed" camp about the split continuity, just because Marvel are showing how to do it right with their movies and Agents of SHIELD. DC's movies aren't there and that's the real tragedy. Still, it'll be great to see the TV shows get a crack at making their own mythos.

I thought that Agents of SHIELD suffered a lot from being dependand on the movies?

I don't really care about this choice but I think is a shame that if GA does shows up on the movies it won't be Amell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
The new Arrow figure line got a release date of Feb 27, 2015 and DC's official site calls Sarah-Canary "Black Canary"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm pretty sure Amell posted pics of some shooting scripts and she was called BC in those as well.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure Amell posted pics of some shooting scripts and she was called BC in those as well.

Anyone know if she's been doing any special training for that? I follow Caity on FB and shes posted pics of her staff training but I dont follow Dorito-chin. I wanna see some real rear end kicking if shes going to finally assume the mantle of the true Black Canary.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Could you not, please?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

DivisionPost posted:

Could you not, please?

Triangle Chin hates Particle Man. They have a fight, Triangle wins. Triangle Chin.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why are people skeptical of whether Laurel can do action scenes? She's done plenty in season 1 where she was rather kick-rear end. Usually when someone sent some mooks to kidnap her once every other episode, at least a couple of those mooks are going to have to go to the hospital.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

greatn posted:

Why are people skeptical of whether Laurel can do action scenes? She's done plenty in season 1 where she was rather kick-rear end. Usually when someone sent some mooks to kidnap her once every other episode, at least a couple of those mooks are going to have to go to the hospital.

She was pretty badass on Supernatural as well, I have full confidence in her action scene potential.
Unfortunately, the showrunners opted for making her the damsel in distress this past season.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

I...

Aww.

I think I'm in the "disappointed" camp about the split continuity, just because Marvel are showing how to do it right with their movies and Agents of SHIELD. DC's movies aren't there and that's the real tragedy. Still, it'll be great to see the TV shows get a crack at making their own mythos.

Making a ton of really, really, really mediocre stuff isn't doing it right.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

To hell with the big screen. Sever. Superman on TV. Justice League on TV. Make the CW The Justice League Network.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They'd finally make a Wonder Woman show, but it'd be on at 3 AM.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Whizbang posted:

They'd finally make a Wonder Woman show, but it'd be on at 3 AM.

If that leaked pilot for that Wonder Woman show a couple years back was any indication, I hope they never make a Wonder Woman show.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

If that leaked pilot for that Wonder Woman show a couple years back was any indication, I hope they never make a Wonder Woman show.

Because every show should be judged on the strength of their pilot.

That was the thing that annoyed me about the Wonder Woman TV show and how it was treated. Sure the pilot was probably really bad (I confess, I never watched it but the notion of doing WW with more of a comedic bent didn't out and out offend me like it did others.) but every show is capable of improving.
Like the one comment that stuck with me (apart from people praying to Hera for the show to fail. Actual prayers to a comic goddess.) was people said that they would rather have the show fail and never get made then see anything less than perfect be made. Because apparently Wonder Woman is such a special IP that it can't survive having a bad property made attached to the Wonder Woman name.

Oh well, enough of this. So, now that Ollie is poor (or at least Rich Man poor) in Season 3, I think the only thing he can do to earn money back will be to sell his story about what happened to him on the Island.

Que cameo by the Smallville Green Arrow, Justin Heartly, to play the film version of Ollie.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

That was the thing that annoyed me about the Wonder Woman TV show and how it was treated. Sure the pilot was probably really bad (I confess, I never watched it but the notion of doing WW with more of a comedic bent didn't out and out offend me like it did others.) but every show is capable of improving.
Like the one comment that stuck with me (apart from people praying to Hera for the show to fail. Actual prayers to a comic goddess.) was people said that they would rather have the show fail and never get made then see anything less than perfect be made. Because apparently Wonder Woman is such a special IP that it can't survive having a bad property made attached to the Wonder Woman name.

Oh well, enough of this. So, now that Ollie is poor (or at least Rich Man poor) in Season 3, I think the only thing he can do to earn money back will be to sell his story about what happened to him on the Island.

Que cameo by the Smallville Green Arrow, Justin Heartly, to play the film version of Ollie.

I was not even aware that they were going for a comedic bent on that pilot. It was that bad. Seriously, you should track it down because it was really, really bad. This is from someone that sat through every horrible season of Smallville and that can usually find something to like in pretty much any Marvel/DC show. That Aquaman pilot with Heartly was high art by comparison.

(Confession time: I actually like that Aquaman pilot.:kiddo:)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Wonder Woman pilot was the TV equivalent of a war crime.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

(Confession time: I actually like that Aquaman pilot.:kiddo:)

That was actually a serious-talk decent pilot and some of the hooks they were dangling had the potential to be really interesting.

Then again the actor was the best part of Smallville after it didn't get picked up so...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Didn't David E Kelly do the Wonder Woman pilot. He always struck my as a creepy misogynist.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Question IRL posted:

Most shows can, in fact, be judged based on the strength of their pilot. The amount of shows that drastically improve after a rough start isn't anywhere near the number of shows that start off mediocre/bad and continue for a season before being cancelled. The WW pilot wasn't a case of a bunch of comic book nerds being overly critical, it was a case of the pilot being so embarrassingly awful that people were glad that it died before getting off the ground so that a terrible half-season of a bad show wouldn't ruin some future chance of seeing WW in something that might at least potentially be good.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

WarLocke posted:

That was actually a serious-talk decent pilot and some of the hooks they were dangling had the potential to be really interesting.

Then again the actor was the best part of Smallville after it didn't get picked up so...

Smallville would have been completely unwatchable post Rosenbaum without him and John Glover.

Slamhound posted:

Didn't David E Kelly do the Wonder Woman pilot. He always struck my as a creepy misogynist.

That would certainly explain a lot about that pilot.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I think all of this is gonna result in five years from now a huge big-budget Superman TV show, bringing it all back to the beginning.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Smallville would have been completely unwatchable post Rosenbaum without him and John Glover.

They still had Erica Durance, which I still think is the best live action Lois Lane period. One of the show's bright points.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

VDay posted:

Most shows can, in fact, be judged based on the strength of their pilot. The amount of shows that drastically improve after a rough start isn't anywhere near the number of shows that start off mediocre/bad and continue for a season before being cancelled. The WW pilot wasn't a case of a bunch of comic book nerds being overly critical, it was a case of the pilot being so embarrassingly awful that people were glad that it died before getting off the ground so that a terrible half-season of a bad show wouldn't ruin some future chance of seeing WW in something that might at least potentially be good.

I could list a bunch of shows that had really poorly done pilots to try and refute that point. (Though to be fair, the Wonder Woman pilot wasn't even the fully finished one. It was still a work in progress I believe.)

Instead, I'll just say this. It's been over 3 years since that Wonder Woman TV show wasn't made. We still don't have a Wonder Woman movie or Amazon type TV show to replace it.
The theory that "a bad Wonder Woman show hurts Wonder Woman's brand" isn't there. Refusing to make a "bad" Wonder Woman show just results in there being no Wonder Woman show, full stop. By all means try and strive for it to be the best that it can be.
But just remember that you don't get to trade on artistic cred for a better show. You just have nothing.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

The Question IRL posted:

I could list a bunch of shows that had really poorly done pilots to try and refute that point. (Though to be fair, the Wonder Woman pilot wasn't even the fully finished one. It was still a work in progress I believe.)

Instead, I'll just say this. It's been over 3 years since that Wonder Woman TV show wasn't made. We still don't have a Wonder Woman movie or Amazon type TV show to replace it.
The theory that "a bad Wonder Woman show hurts Wonder Woman's brand" isn't there. Refusing to make a "bad" Wonder Woman show just results in there being no Wonder Woman show, full stop. By all means try and strive for it to be the best that it can be.
But just remember that you don't get to trade on artistic cred for a better show. You just have nothing.

You can however tell the premise of a story from a pilot and since that was one of the major problems, yeah, it was pretty easy to tell from the pilot that it would have been poo poo.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Question IRL posted:

Refusing to make a "bad" Wonder Woman show just results in there being no Wonder Woman show, full stop. By all means try and strive for it to be the best that it can be.

Having nothing is better than there being an awful TV show out there that potentially ruins the general public's perception of a character/brand and scares off TV execs from green lighting a different, potentially better show years down the line. I don't even read comics or have any particular affection for WW, but it's pretty easy to see why people wouldn't want some awful TV show about her out there completely ruining her character, and it's kind of ridiculous to suggest that people should've just been happy to have something.

I mean, do you honestly think that if that show came out and was as awful as the pilot made it look that Wonder Woman would still have been cast in the upcoming Batman vs Superman movie? Because if you do than we're just going to have to agree to disagree because I apparently have a much more pessimistic opinion about the people who are actually in charge of deciding which TV shows/movies get made.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Deadpool posted:

They still had Erica Durance, which I still think is the best live action Lois Lane period. One of the show's bright points.

Quoted for truth.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

They made Wonder Woman into a Lonely Single Career Gal complete with a scene of Wonder Woman crying into her ice cream (and cat) while watching a rom-com and checking out the possibilities of online dating.

That pilot got the abortion it deserved.

VDay posted:

I mean, do you honestly think that if that show came out and was as awful as the pilot made it look that Wonder Woman would still have been cast in the upcoming Batman vs Superman movie? Because if you do than we're just going to have to agree to disagree because I apparently have a much more pessimistic opinion about the people who are actually in charge of deciding which TV shows/movies get made.

Crying. Cat. Ice cream. Online dating. (In other words, you're right.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My favorite part of the pilot was all the wacky murder action from Wonder Woman. Guy running away? Let's throw a loving pipe through his neck and nail him to wall!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

My favorite part of the pilot was all the wacky murder action from Wonder Woman. Guy running away? Let's throw a loving pipe through his neck and nail him to wall!

Well at least they got one thing about her right.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh boy, can't wait til they get Captain America that 'right' and have him going Jack Bauer and waterboarding Hydra guys.

There's a line between "soldier who is willing to kill in battle" and "horror movie monster". Impaling a random thug on a pipe is so far over that line, the line is a dot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Well at least they got one thing about her right.

It was really out of place in the pilot though. Jarringly so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

It was really out of place in the pilot though. Jarringly so.

Yeah, I imagine if it continued they'd have scenes of her chatting on the phone with Etta about how Steve's wife is wrong for him followed by her killing a guy with his own penis.

...Actually I would probably watch a show like that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BarbarousBertha posted:

They made Wonder Woman into a Lonely Single Career Gal complete with a scene of Wonder Woman crying into her ice cream (and cat) while watching a rom-com and checking out the possibilities of online dating.

That pilot got the abortion it deserved.

Crying. Cat. Ice cream. Online dating. (In other words, you're right.)

And it was also part of her "secert identity" out of three identities. 1) Wonder Woman, famous crime fighter who beats up people in hospitals while cops wait outside 2) Diana Themyscira - CEO of some big corporation, lives in a penthouse suite 3) Diane Prince, crying-single girl with a different name she uses to "esape" into her ice cream and suburban life.

The whole thing was just :wtf:

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Oh boy, can't wait til they get Captain America that 'right' and have him going Jack Bauer and waterboarding Hydra guys.

So you mean Ultimates 3 Captain America?

edit: also why does Wonder Woman start with blue shiny plastic pants and then changes into blue star-spangled panties at the end?

Eddain fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 22, 2014

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I have a ridiculously low bar for what I'll watch and be entertained by and that WW pilot didn't even come close to clearing it. It doesn't matter that it was unfinished, there is no amount of editing or CGI that could have polished that turd.

I felt bad though because I really like the actress who was the lead. She was awesome on Friday Night Lights.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Deadpool posted:

Rosenbaum, Glover, and Durance were the only reasons to tune in that shitpile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Rosenbaum, Glover, and Durance were the only reasons to tune in that shitpile.

Glover was just a guest star for many seasons and Durance didn't show up til what, Season 6? Even Rosenbaum couldn't carry that mess and make it watchable for that many years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Glover was just a guest star for many seasons and Durance didn't show up til what, Season 6? Even Rosenbaum couldn't carry that mess and make it watchable for that many years.

I think Durance was season four.

Anyway, everyone needs to get Stephen Amell's attention and have him replace the Salmon Ladder next season with the Swap Salmon Ladder.

http://gfycat.com/KindheartedSecondBasil

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Amell will replace his salmon ladder with the whole American Ninja Warrior course now that that 100-lb gymnast just destroyed the course last week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pfft, the men finish that course in like half her time.

/Youtube commentator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eddain posted:

edit: also why does Wonder Woman start with blue shiny plastic pants and then changes into blue star-spangled panties at the end?

Because fanboys are whiny, entitled babbies who bitched about the pants, and not because the shiny pants looked awful and would've been better changed into more matte coloured leggings, but because she wasn't wearing a one-piece. Basically the same reason they changed away from the pants in the New 52 reboot, despite Jim Lee's original promo piece including them.

• Locked thread