Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

Red Suit posted:

I'm going to start Baldur's Gate: EE for the first time. Any tips or pointers I should keep in mind?

1. Missile weapons on everyone.
2. Use your consumable items, there's way too much to hoard.
3. Keep the pantaloons. Always keep the pantaloons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arivia posted:

And high Intelligence scores get you more spell slots, I think.

Or maybe they don't.

I forget.

gently caress 2e.

Just put your Int up anyway.

It affects the max number of known spells (spells in your spell book) but not the number of spells you can cast.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
Personally for mages I prefer to start out with an 18 Int and raise it to 19 so I don't have to worry about keeping potions of genius around in order to learn new spells. Also, doesn't EE require you to have 18 Int in order to cast 9th level spells?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Just use bgtweaks to enable 100% spell learn chance.

(let's not pretend you don't reload when you fail to learn an important spell)

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.

Mr. Neutron posted:

After countless playthroughs I finally managed to kick this habit recently.

Maybe it's because I have a bit of a masochistic streak when it comes to gaming but I actually kind of like the concept, as it adds tension when you are trying to scribe an expensive scroll. It makes potions of genius actually serve a purpose. It also helps with the economy a bit for all the mid-level scrolls, as I hate having over a hundred thousand gold on me at any given time (I usually install the SCS tweak to triple the Shadow Thieves' asking price to 60,000/45,000 gold to help with this as well).

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

There is a limit to the number of spells you can learn per level based on intelligence that's separate from the chance to learn spells. E.g. Int 9 mages can know up to 6 spells per level, while Int 18 mages up to 18.Potions of Genius can sidestep that issue, but it seems like an unnecessary hassle, particularly since its very easy to get a large stat point total so you can afford a starting 18 Int.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Antignition posted:

After countless playthroughs I finally managed to kick this habit recently.

Maybe it's because I have a bit of a masochistic streak when it comes to gaming but I actually kind of like the concept, as it adds tension when you are trying to scribe an expensive scroll. It makes potions of genius actually serve a purpose. It also helps with the economy a bit for all the mid-level scrolls, as I hate having over a hundred thousand gold on me at any given time (I usually install the SCS tweak to triple the Shadow Thieves' asking price to 60,000/45,000 gold to help with this as well).

It's tempting to try to play that way but man I can't imagine doing that it in IWD or IWD2 where spell scrolls are so rare. If you fail to scribe the one you wanted in that and don't reload you're hosed because you might not see it again.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Factor_VIII posted:

There is a limit to the number of spells you can learn per level based on intelligence that's separate from the chance to learn spells. E.g. Int 9 mages can know up to 6 spells per level, while Int 18 mages up to 18.Potions of Genius can sidestep that issue, but it seems like an unnecessary hassle, particularly since its very easy to get a large stat point total so you can afford a starting 18 Int.

No level has more than 6 useful spells though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I've been playing through BGII:EE and I ended up getting hit by a chain of companion quests. Nalia gets kidnapped while I'm working on Neera's quest (and Rassad's). While I'm gathering information to get her back, Jaheira gets cursed and I have to cure her. Before that, Anomen made me kick out Hexxat. It's been a chaotic run so far. I'm really enjoying the EE content, for the most part. It doesn't feel very well integrated having played BGII so many times but it's fun all the same.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

In like Zinn posted:

1. Missile weapons on everyone.
2. Use your consumable items, there's way too much to hoard.
3. Keep the pantaloons. Always keep the pantaloons!
1a. Run around in circles to make maximum use of your missile weapons until someone learns crowd control magic.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

zedprime posted:

1a. Run around in circles to make maximum use of your missile weapons until someone learns crowd control magic.

1b. If you're playing a mage then the best crowd control magic in BG1 is available at level 1 via the spell Sleep.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 22, 2014

more like FAILdows get it
Nov 19, 2007

punch a friend in the butt
Will I regret swapping Yoshimo for Edwin? Everything I think I understand about BG and 2e in general tells me I won't miss much if I ditch him. For reference the rest of my party is a Gnome Illusionist/Thief, Dorn, Minsc, Jaheira, and Aerie (ugh, she's next..maybe for Viconia?).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Well you'll definitely miss something

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Kinda, in that the guy introduced in and rescued from Irenicus' dungeon gets plot when you find Irenicus again. Especially because (nominally having played BG1), he has to make up in emotional weight for the fact you had no previous connection to him. Minsc goes "Mad Wizard killed my witch!" and you know what that means because the whole recruitment thing in BG1 was you and Minsc ploughing through a fortress full of Gnolls to rescue her. Finding out Yoshimo's deal with him is necessarily more intricate and involved. And much more interesting, really, at least I think so.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also Yoshimo is the main part of the most rewarding quest in the game (in terms of xp reward.)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Factor_VIII posted:

Also, doesn't EE require you to have 18 Int in order to cast 9th level spells?

No, just to learn 9th level spells. This is why you can min-max a mage by going low on int and using potions when you need to learn spells. But just because you can do it doesn't mean it's fun. I would never recommend anyone skimp on int as a mage. If you're going to munchkin that hard you might as well just edit your stats.

Edit: Or play a Sorcerer.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Pomale posted:

Will I regret swapping Yoshimo for Edwin? Everything I think I understand about BG and 2e in general tells me I won't miss much if I ditch him. For reference the rest of my party is a Gnome Illusionist/Thief, Dorn, Minsc, Jaheira, and Aerie (ugh, she's next..maybe for Viconia?).

Other than some relatively minor plot stuff, no you won't miss much. You already have a half thief PC so you should have all the thief skills you will ever need from just that half thief alone. No need for 2 thieves in the same party.

Hell, you don't even really need 1 thief since Nalia and Imoen can do all the lockpicking/trap finding you will ever need, and they double as a great mage.

Edwin was the best NPC mage in the game by far, although Neera might be better now since wildmages are pretty over powered. Minsc will most likely fight with Edwin too though and I doubt you can take both in your party for very long without them killing each other. Edwin will probably fight with Aerie too (he's kind of a dick), but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Viconia is the best character to romance by far, but you don't really need her, and Jaheira, and Aerie all at the same time. That's a bit more divine spell casters than is necessary. Much better to add a full blown mage to your party since your PC is only a half-mage. Not a big deal though.

If you are playing more for plot purposes only and you don't care as much about party balance, the "proper" thing to do is take Yoshimo for a while and then eventually swap him out for Imoen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So BG2 EE is still super hosed and buggy, right? Kinda feeling the itch to play again, but I won't do it if that would just be painfully bad.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Arivia posted:

So BG2 EE is still super hosed and buggy, right? Kinda feeling the itch to play again, but I won't do it if that would just be painfully bad.
I don't think so. Only serious bug is that you can use the Slayer transformation once. If you don't plan on using it, then there's no reason not to play. (Also, journal entries for the quests of the new joinable NPCs don't always update properly but that's a minor issue.)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Both enhanced editions are totally playable and relatively bug-free now, making the vanilla experience pretty objectively better in the EEs than in the original games. Some mods still dont (and maybe never will?) have EE ports though so if you like to mod your game to poo poo I'd still go with the originals.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
And a follow-up question:

How did the EE do in terms of making evil parties work? Is there now some options in BG2? They probably aren't great but it would be fun to take all the gently caress you options and mess around with Korgan and crew for the first time ever.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Not too well. Evil basically equals to being selfish and demanding a reward up front for everything and that's pretty much it, you will still help everyone you meet. Although there are a handful of quests you can solve the truly evil way (the buried alive man quest for ex.).

Perhaps the new NPC add some but I don't know about those.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I completed my BG:EE run last week and have started on BG2:EE. I've never finished this so I'm looking forward to finally completing it. I'm currently in chapter 2 and am wondering how long you're supposed to stay here. Should I stay on this chapter while I complete every subquest that seems interesting or do I move the story forward? I remember reading something about a ton of quests that can only be completed during chapter 2 and I'd prefer to see as much of the sidequests as I can.

Speaking of sidequests are there any easily missable ones that I should look out for?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
you can do the majority now or wait till chapter 4 - depends how much you care about your sister you horrible person why are you even asking she is literally being tortured and raped right now.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Haha balls. I forgot that in normal BG (this is BGEE) that evil chars leave your party if your rep gets too high. Dorn you SOB at least give me my equipment back :(
I also dual classed Imoen at 6 to mage, kinda feels like she's not going to get thief skills back...until the very end of the game. Oops.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The new evil NPCs have legitimately evil quests which you can maximise by taking the evil routes. The original quests remain the same.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm glad I waited so long to pick up BG2:EE if it was so buggy before. I've only experienced one bug with Neera but exiting the game and reloading fixed it. It's been so long since I've done a proper run of BG2 I had forgotten how incredibly massive the game is. The new content just adds to it. Imoen can wait! I gotta herd cats and find hairbands!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's always been one quest in BG2 that you almost always want to take the evil route for, unless you decide to cheese it and take the morally-equivalent-but-you-don't-lose-reputation option.

Though that's only true if you imported your character from BG1.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Freaksaus posted:

I completed my BG:EE run last week and have started on BG2:EE. I've never finished this so I'm looking forward to finally completing it. I'm currently in chapter 2 and am wondering how long you're supposed to stay here. Should I stay on this chapter while I complete every subquest that seems interesting or do I move the story forward? I remember reading something about a ton of quests that can only be completed during chapter 2 and I'd prefer to see as much of the sidequests as I can.

Speaking of sidequests are there any easily missable ones that I should look out for?

I like to do literally every possible quest in chapter 2, except for some of the major boss fights (dragons, liches, etc). The reason why is that once you come back in chapter 4 you will have pretty nice magical items and that makes a lot of the sidequest content underwhelming.

Oh wow, a +2 weapon quest reward. :rolleyes: Who loving cares when you have +3 or +4 already.

That's my preference anyways. It works out ok. If you want Imoen in your group you will probably want to advance the plot a lot quicker though.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
Is the Steam version updated to be the most current? I've still had some issues with crashing on load and on map change playing BG:EE online with a friend.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I like to do literally every possible quest in chapter 2, except for some of the major boss fights (dragons, liches, etc). The reason why is that once you come back in chapter 4 you will have pretty nice magical items and that makes a lot of the sidequest content underwhelming.

Oh wow, a +2 weapon quest reward. :rolleyes: Who loving cares when you have +3 or +4 already.

That's my preference anyways. It works out ok. If you want Imoen in your group you will probably want to advance the plot a lot quicker though.

I do the boss fights too. I want to spend as much of the game possible having all the best items.

The only problem with this approach is I usually take Imoen and she will be quite under leveled compared to the rest of your party if you do all the side quests before rescuing her. It's not a huge deal but it sucks a little bit.

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Pierre McGuire posted:

Is the Steam version updated to be the most current? I've still had some issues with crashing on load and on map change playing BG:EE online with a friend.

I don't play multiplayer at all but from what I gather most of the people complaining on the official forums about BG:EE or BG2:EE being unplayable are complaining about multiplayer bugs. The next BG:EE patch will fix a great deal of that, and BG2:EE will follow.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Ginette Reno posted:

I do the boss fights too. I want to spend as much of the game possible having all the best items.

The only problem with this approach is I usually take Imoen and she will be quite under leveled compared to the rest of your party if you do all the side quests before rescuing her. It's not a huge deal but it sucks a little bit.

Yeah see I'm the opposite. I'd rather have a very slow incremental gain in power over time. To go from +1 to +2 to +3, and use and enjoy each level for as long as possible. That's why I leave the dragons/itches until chapter 4 and I don't set foot in Watchers keep until TOB. Well except floor 1 I guess. You kinda need floor 1 for the ammo belt and potion box. Those items make the game way less annoying.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Yeah see I'm the opposite. I'd rather have a very slow incremental gain in power over time. To go from +1 to +2 to +3, and use and enjoy each level for as long as possible. That's why I leave the dragons/itches until chapter 4 and I don't set foot in Watchers keep until TOB. Well except floor 1 I guess. You kinda need floor 1 for the ammo belt and potion box. Those items make the game way less annoying.

You can just install the BG2 Tweak Pack, there's an option to add ammo belts and potion bags to vendors before ToB if I remember correctly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arivia posted:

And a follow-up question:

How did the EE do in terms of making evil parties work? Is there now some options in BG2? They probably aren't great but it would be fun to take all the gently caress you options and mess around with Korgan and crew for the first time ever.

Evil is basically unfixable. BG2 is a Hero's Journey, unrepentantly so, and gently caress you if you disagree with it. That's the game's stance. It gives you some token opportunities to be evil but doesn't seriously expect you to go through with it because it's a tonally hosed up experience.

EE still makes the Evil experience leaps and bounds better than it was, thanks to the new party members and their quest lines, and with aTweaks to make the quest rewards no longer shaft Evil at every opportunity you can kinda suspend your disbelief and go with it now!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I finally made it through the Bandit's Camp, and I even managed to score a set of Full Plate Mail! :toot:

I'm off to Cloakwood next, but I had a few questions before moving on:

- I have the option to dual-class Imoen as a Thief/Mage, but I'm not sure whether I should or not. I read somewhere that if you do, you wait until Imoen is at Level 8.
- Is there any way to improve Dynaheir's AC? I found the bracers that reduce AC to 8, but that's about it. Are mages just stuck with having a high AC, since they can't equip armor?
- Up to this point, I've had Minsc use dual maces. Currently, he has a single point in the Mace skill, and three points in Dual Wielding. Is there a better weapon setup I could be using; one that might improve his attack? (Also, I tried equipping Minsc with a Long Bow, but for some reason, he won't use it.)
- What's the difference between 'THAC0' and 'Base THAC0'?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

So I finally made it through the Bandit's Camp, and I even managed to score a set of Full Plate Mail! :toot:

I'm off to Cloakwood next, but I had a few questions before moving on:

- I have the option to dual-class Imoen as a Thief/Mage, but I'm not sure whether I should or not. I read somewhere that if you do, you wait until Imoen is at Level 8.
- Is there any way to improve Dynaheir's AC? I found the bracers that reduce AC to 8, but that's about it. Are mages just stuck with having a high AC, since they can't equip armor?
- Up to this point, I've had Minsc use dual maces. Currently, he has a single point in the Mace skill, and three points in Dual Wielding. Is there a better weapon setup I could be using; one that might improve his attack? (Also, I tried equipping Minsc with a Long Bow, but for some reason, he won't use it.)
- What's the difference between 'THAC0' and 'Base THAC0'?

I think in BG2 imoen has 8 levels of thief. If you want character sheet-level continuity you can do this. As far as actually playing BG1 it will be a long time before you get your thief skills back (they are totally disabled until you hit level 9 as a mage, including weapon proficiencies - the character is basically a level 1 mage with a bunch of HP). I would recommend dual classing earlier or not at all, leaning to not at all unless you have another thief you want to adventure with.

There are bracers of 6AC, and the mage west of Beregost sells Robes of the Good Archmagi which lower AC to 5 and give a small amount of MR and +1 to all saving throws. They cost a good chunk of money, like 30k at neutral reputation. You can also acquire these by killing Shandalar in Ulgoth's Beard

I think "base THAC0" is your thac0 from proficiencies and strength with the weapon your holding, and "THAC0" is that, minus your weapon's enchantment and with any other relevant buffs. All that really matters is your current THAC0 when you are wielding a weapon, unless you want to be able to tell at a glance whether your character will do better with a +1 hammer or a +2 flail with 3 pips in maces in 2 in flails, or something.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

kaschei posted:

I think in BG2 imoen has 8 levels of thief. If you want character sheet-level continuity you can do this. As far as actually playing BG1 it will be a long time before you get your thief skills back (they are totally disabled until you hit level 9 as a mage, including weapon proficiencies - the character is basically a level 1 mage with a bunch of HP). I would recommend dual classing earlier or not at all, leaning to not at all unless you have another thief you want to adventure with.

I think that was the reasoning behind the recommendation; it was so it would be in continuity with BG2. In any case, I don't think I'll try dual-classing. The only reason I thought it'd be worth doing is so I could get some spells that neither Jaheria or Dynaheir can learn.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If you have Dynaheir you should have found Gauntlets of Dexterity which you can use with mage robes but obviously not gauntlets of AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
AC isn't that important to mages. If you're under direct assault, use your spells to protect yourself. Spells like mirror image and invisibility will keep your mage out of trouble far better than armor class could.