Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

there's already a native gallium d3d9 driver and most of a d3d10 driver, wine explicitly rejected it and it's gone nowhere since

the gallium d3d stuff isn't a complete d3d implementation. it's the backend to write a graphics driver that could provide d3d.

e.g. there's no hlsl compiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why isn't the part that says "I want the GNOME desktop" a separate set of configuration that tell it the list of system components needed for the desktop and the list of default applications?

this is called debconf
and also tasksel
and also apt recommends

the problem is that configuration and "what files go on disk" are tightly related problems that are hard to unpick. even when you have the best of intentions poo poo steps on each other

debconf handles most of the problems like "what are the default applications," but the details of needed components ended up as a better fit in the package system

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the gallium d3d stuff isn't a complete d3d implementation. it's the backend to write a graphics driver that could provide d3d.

e.g. there's no hlsl compiler

The HLSL compiler isn't part of the runtime. It's part of the SDK. Gallium's D3D is designed as a runtime implementation, not an SDK implementation.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

The HLSL compiler isn't part of the runtime. It's part of the SDK. Gallium's D3D is designed as a runtime implementation, not an SDK implementation.

a runtime without an sdk is completely useless to the wine project

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Why?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wine Is Not an Emulator. that's not (only) a joke.

keeping winelib viable as a complete sdk is really important to the people who work on this stuff, even if it isn't noticed by the average user

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wine doesn't ship a source-compatible replacement for cl.exe or nmake.exe. Why would they ship one for fxc.exe?

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

To be clear, on Ubuntu,

did anyone else stop reading right there?

lmfao

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i run arch.

works well as a desktop.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wine doesn't ship a source-compatible replacement for cl.exe or nmake.exe. Why would they ship one for fxc.exe?

they ship a suite of tools (winemaker/winemake) to generate new makefiles for your native compiler and native make. target platforms tend to have C compilers and make tools.

they don't tend to have hlsl compilers. that would be a tool wine would have to bring with it. (or some other d3d sdk could do it)

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
still searching for a tiled window manager that doesn't suck

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

SpaceAceJase posted:

ion3

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Screenshot plz

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

SpaceAceJase posted:

i3wm

owns owns owns

plus it has good documentation

http://i3wm.org

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i run arch.

works well as a desktop.

I used to too when I gave a drat about a Linux. Arch owns pretty hard but you have to know a lot about how computers work and be able to read the only good unironic wiki (the arch wiki) and documentation and poo poo.

It gives you a hell of a lot of rope with which to hang yourself, though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgUPqygAww

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Careful Drums posted:

I used to too when I gave a drat about a Linux. Arch owns pretty hard but you have to know a lot about how computers work and be able to read the only good unironic wiki (the arch wiki) and documentation and poo poo.

It gives you a hell of a lot of rope with which to hang yourself, though.

i spend my entire work day in vim, so i haven't really had to change anything in my configuration in a long time.

basically i got i3 up, rxvt, and gcc/gdb going and that was all i needed

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i used to use a tiling wm but then i matured a bit so now i use gnome3

well that's my story cya

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is i3 like awesomewm but with a useful configuraton?

because gently caress writing code to configure a loving thing that is the worst thing ever i shouldn't have to learn a god drat api to use consumer software

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
some guy reported a bug in gtk+ once with i3 and i was like "ugh, time to configure another bespoke crazy tilnig wm" but then i installed i3 and tried it out and it's actually really not that bad.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Careful Drums posted:

is i3 like awesomewm but with a useful configuraton?

because gently caress writing code to configure a loving thing that is the worst thing ever i shouldn't have to learn a god drat api to use consumer software

yes https://github.com/ivyl/i3-config/blob/master/config

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sweet

now i want to install a linux

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

weird man op

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

im the generally unused 3d printer

and the blocking out of the sun's light and warmth

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

SpaceAceJase posted:

Screenshot plz

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
apparently ion3 hasnt actually been maintained in like 5 years
look at this sperg

quote:

Tuomo Valkonen, the author of Ion, has been at the center of several controversies concerning the licensing and distribution of his software, in particular the proclivity of major Linux and BSD distributions of making outdated development versions of Ion3 (the current unstable development branch) available as part of "frozen" software repositories. Often, such versions will include patches, such as for Xinerama or Xft support, both of which Valkonen disapproves on professional and personal grounds and has had removed from the main source tree. Yet, such distribution would seem to imply that the patched version is the official Ion3 package maintained by Valkonen himself, which he sees as unacceptable. Valkonen has even recently become an outspoken critic of the entire free software and open source movement (the "FOSS herd", as he refers to it)[3] due to his perceived mistreatment at the hands of several major distributions, including Arch Linux, Debian, pkgsrc (NetBSD, DragonflyBSD), and FreeBSD.

On April 28, 2007, Valkonen warned the Arch Linux maintainers of possible legal action because the (unofficial) Arch User Repository contained scripts to install Ion3 with patches he did not approve of.[4] Later on he did the same with the pkgsrc maintainer of the NetBSD project[5] and the ports maintainer of the FreeBSD project.[6] As of December 12, 2007,[7] the development branch of Ion, along with other software by Valkonen, was pulled[8] from the FreeBSD ports tree, after the author filed a complaint about outdated development releases still being available. Any version of Ion may still be installed from source code on any Unix system with proper libraries and dependencies.

Valkonen has implied in several mailing lists that he has become completely disillusioned with, if not openly hostile toward, the free software community in general. He plans to switch to developing strictly closed-source software for the Windows platform in the future.[9] Subsequently the author has given up on *nix and started using Windows instead.[10]

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ahmeni posted:

apparently ion3 hasnt actually been maintained in like 5 years
look at this sperg

more like petulant childe

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I don't think so, op

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
$ bc -l
-bash: bc: command not found

I hate when this happens. cmon guys, what the hell you're saving like 100KB of space to not include a standard unix utility? :saddowns:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

What about dc, do they at least have dc

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

whats bc

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It is a calculator Bloody.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ty

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i hate the jackass at redhat that decided to remove ddate from default builds of util-linux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

i hate the jackass at redhat that decided to remove ddate from default builds of util-linux

maybe that change was reverted. it's in my minimal cent image

code:
[kitchen@2f2726c33eb0 ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release 
CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
[kitchen@2f2726c33eb0 ~]$ ddate
Today is Pungenday, the 57th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3180

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it wasn't in fedora 20, i had to pull it down off yum

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

maybe that change was reverted. it's in my minimal cent image

code:
[kitchen@2f2726c33eb0 ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release 
CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
[kitchen@2f2726c33eb0 ~]$ ddate
Today is Pungenday, the 57th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3180

what the gently caress is ddate

also does it ship with sl?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and lol if you dont symlink sl to ls

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Broken Machine posted:

What about dc, do they at least have dc

idk they have dc now but I installed bc so I'm not sure if dc was already installed before or not

I can't do poo poo with dc anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh noes a linux intended for serious commercial applications doesn't include a le epic monkeybacon date printing program

POETTERING :argh: