Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

GreyPowerVan posted:

If I was to do a Masterwork LP, what would you people who are interested in Masterwork like to see? I assume you all know how to get a fortress up and running, so would you want me to focus on the changes or...?

I want to know about workflow stuff, though that might be kind of boring to watch. But for example, I built a pottery but I can't get clay from there. I have to build a clay oven to collect clay, but then you actually craft the pot at the pottery, then back over to the oven to fire it? I still get job cancellations from that process. Pointing out weird changes like that and how it's supposed to work would be helpful. Archaeology also seems cool, I don't know how that works either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Many algorithms are extremely inefficient and can be replaced by far more efficient algorithms. He probably had a crap load of hideously inefficient brute force code going on or code with flawed logic that trapped itself in weird loops. Recursion and complex logic trees are especially prone to that sort of thing.

Most importantly, he probably didn't know which loops were worth speeding up. Whether a given piece of code is efficient in isolation rarely means poo poo -- most code will never be worth optimizing.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Oh sure, dwarves: throw multiple parties as soon as the caravan shows up. Let's see how long until someone shows up at the trade depot.
Worse yet, it's an elven caravan and the route to the trade depot is directly next to a sprawling lumber yard.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Marksdwarves can shoot down a couple z-levels to a fight below right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Oh sure, dwarves: throw multiple parties as soon as the caravan shows up. Let's see how long until someone shows up at the trade depot.
Worse yet, it's an elven caravan and the route to the trade depot is directly next to a sprawling lumber yard.

Are elves horrified by chopped wood?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Are elves horrified by chopped wood?

It doesn't seem like it so far...

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
No, they aren't. I still like to make sure there is a pile of it for them to see when they come in though. It's like leaving a bunch of elf corpses strung up outside as a warning.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I'm currently playing on a fort where as soon as trees generate into the world, they come crashing down. They punch deep holes into my fort and are generally annoying. I do not care for these new trees.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Be careful when making indoor farms and pastures! If underground trees grow to maturity they burst through the next layer and can end up killing livestock through the resulting cave in, as well as opening a neat little hole for the goblins that are waiting outside.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Schwack posted:

I'm currently playing on a fort where as soon as trees generate into the world, they come crashing down. They punch deep holes into my fort and are generally annoying. I do not care for these new trees.

Trundel posted:

Be careful when making indoor farms and pastures! If underground trees grow to maturity they burst through the next layer and can end up killing livestock through the resulting cave in, as well as opening a neat little hole for the goblins that are waiting outside.

We all knew this day would come. A day that the Sun would dawn upon horror, and set upon fire. CLEANSE THE EARTH.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

That's actually really rad.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Schwack posted:

So did my bug prediction about new trees murdering dwarfs when they grow come true? Trees really should check tiles before they grow. I'm pretty sure if underground trees were a thing in real life the tree couldn't burst through the roof. This would normally be a poor argument in a game but well this is dwarf fortress and Toady prefers to stick as close to real life as possible. He also hates fortress mode so we likely wont see it fixed until late in the patch cycle.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Best way to take full-screen images from Dwarf Fortress?

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

What's wrong with prtsc?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pixaal posted:

So did my bug prediction about new trees murdering dwarfs when they grow come true? Trees really should check tiles before they grow. I'm pretty sure if underground trees were a thing in real life the tree couldn't burst through the roof. This would normally be a poor argument in a game but well this is dwarf fortress and Toady prefers to stick as close to real life as possible. He also hates fortress mode so we likely wont see it fixed until late in the patch cycle.

Mythbusters confirmed that the 'growing bamboo through a guy' torture would work IRL.

That's good enough for me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Thingyman posted:

What's wrong with prtsc?

Just wondered if there was a way that automatically saved them rather than me needing to open paint.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

That's actually really rad.

It just killed my legendary miner :( A tree grew in my courtyard, instantly collapsed and crushed several dwarves. He was among them. I'm abandoning this fort to ruin.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Schwack posted:

It just killed my legendary miner :( A tree grew in my courtyard, instantly collapsed and crushed several dwarves. He was among them. I'm abandoning this fort to ruin.

:(:hf::(

I just lost hours of progress to a crash, probably from water flow. I might just start fresh.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Just wondered if there was a way that automatically saved them rather than me needing to open paint.

If you're on Windows 8, "windows key + prtsc" will save the capture to a Screenshots folder in My Pictures.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
In regards to a Masterwork LP, I'd personally prefer one with little to no narrative that instead just talks about the game mechanics at hand. Making stories for cool events that happen would be fine, but I haven't really been a fan of how story driven the more recent Dwarf Fortress LPs have been. That kind of thing can turn out good, but I think it needs a good writer to pull it off properly, and not every goon is a good writer.

For screenshots, there are plenty of utilities that automatically save and categorize images. I use irfanview. The tech support fort thread in the LP subforum probably has more info if you want to look around. Making a test post for the sandcastle before posting your LP is also a really good idea, especially if you've never done one before.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

Download puush.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Spoggerific posted:

In regards to a Masterwork LP, I'd personally prefer one with little to no narrative that instead just talks about the game mechanics at hand. Making stories for cool events that happen would be fine, but I haven't really been a fan of how story driven the more recent Dwarf Fortress LPs have been. That kind of thing can turn out good, but I think it needs a good writer to pull it off properly, and not every goon is a good writer.

For screenshots, there are plenty of utilities that automatically save and categorize images. I use irfanview. The tech support fort thread in the LP subforum probably has more info if you want to look around. Making a test post for the sandcastle before posting your LP is also a really good idea, especially if you've never done one before.

Oh man I would definitely not do story-based LPs, that takes loving forever. It'd just be a quick rundown of the fort every couple steps in its construction, a short post for each major event, then mostly workshop stuff. I'll look into getting a program and starting it up soon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Schwack posted:

I'm sorry, but that's still really rad.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Is there a Dwarf Therapist for 40.04? I can't seem to find it...

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Not for the other platforms yet, no.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Is there a Dwarf Therapist for 40.04? I can't seem to find it...

Here it is, got linked earlier: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9040

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Thanks!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

DFHack has been updated "enough for people to start updating plugins"

Getting there.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

This is new to me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mu. posted:

This is new to me.

They really need to tag dwarves with a prince of 'x' if they are in direct line with the throne; I mean its just primogeniture right?
Also Mu did your dwarves ever stop being quivering pansies?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Mu. posted:

This is new to me.

For good reason. Proper succession and restoration of hierarchies from purges or passing rulers was a big thing for this release.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Also, df-structures status:

:flashfap:

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

I guess my civ's royal position is just queen.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Lawman 0 posted:

Also Mu did your dwarves ever stop being quivering pansies?
It seems like once your dwarfs have seen combat a few times they handle themselves a lot better, and their person description mentions that "they are a hardened individual" or thereabouts. My current fort has been extremely quiet so I haven't been able to test out my current recruits, who are all still green and unbloodied. They've been training in the barracks for so long that they're all around proficient in the discipline skill. When they finally taste combat I'll be able to see if discipline trumps inexperience with regards to mortal terror, I suppose.

scamtank posted:

For good reason. Proper succession and restoration of hierarchies from purges or passing rulers was a big thing for this release.
It's pretty funny. The dwarf who ascended was just some random carpenter. I had to hussle to arrange for him a suitably ornate living space. He continues to work as a carpenter, with no complaints. I can't tell if that's because you're supposed to be able to set your king to work as a labourer, or that Dwarf Therapist happened to override his obstinance by default. The most recent dwarfen caravan arrived without a liaison, so it would seem something awful is going on back home.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Nah, noble idleness has been broken for years now.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mu. posted:

It seems like once your dwarfs have seen combat a few times they handle themselves a lot better, and their person description mentions that "they are a hardened individual" or thereabouts.

So a gladiator pit in the meeting hall becomes an important gameplay element?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I now need to build a shaft over my barracks and drop animals/prisoners/nobles down it periodically to desensitize my soldiers.

Did you know that 3/4 of all marksdwarves deliberately aim to miss during combat?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I haven't played in a long while, but i'm starting to feel the itch again. One thing tho, are marksdwarves still very bugged? I could hardly ever get them to actually shoot last time around.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mu. posted:

It's pretty funny. The dwarf who ascended was just some random carpenter. I had to hussle to arrange for him a suitably ornate living space. He continues to work as a carpenter, with no complaints. I can't tell if that's because you're supposed to be able to set your king to work as a labourer, or that Dwarf Therapist happened to override his obstinance by default.

Clearly, your fort was home to a humble, wayward child of the royal family who wanted nothing more than to carve wood and live in peace, and when he rose to Kingship, he retained his modest outlook. Now, clad in the opulent traditional garb of royalty, he continues to contentedly whittle and plane, building sturdy beds and comfortable chairs even as he listens to his subjects' worries and issues royal decrees. Perhaps he cannot escape the burden of royal responsibility, he tells the peasants in the feast hall between swigs of dwarven beer, but he'll be damned if he lets it go to his head.

Trundel posted:

I guess my civ's royal position is just queen.

I have the mental image of a royal heir being named the future King, followed by a great cry of, "long live the King!" Shortly thereafter, there is a royal decree that the monarch identifies as a woman, not a man. "Long live the Queen," the dwarves immediately cry. A visiting human dignitary is mystified. Shouldn't this cause a scandal or something? The dwarves merely look at him like he is an ignoramus. Dwarves are dwarves are dwarves, they condescendingly explain, and dwarves are far too busy with their trades and artifice to obsess over silly things like who is allowed to wear dresses and which royal title they shout whilst gleefully getting screaming drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Clearly, your fort was home to a humble, wayward child of the royal family who wanted nothing more than to carve wood and live in peace, and when he rose to Kingship, he retained his modest outlook. Now, clad in the opulent traditional garb of royalty, he continues to contentedly whittle and plane, building sturdy beds and comfortable chairs even as he listens to his subjects' worries and issues royal decrees. Perhaps he cannot escape the burden of royal responsibility, he tells the peasants in the feast hall between swigs of dwarven beer, but he'll be damned if he lets it go to his head.
He apparently arrived at my fortress in the very first migration wave, along with his older sister. His sister has been sleeping in a dormitory and chiseling stone doors.