Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Heard it's an amazing printer though!

I bought the pro9000 mk2 a while back off eBay. Opened the box, realized I wouldn't have space for it on my desk, and it's been in storage ever since :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

caberham posted:

Photography is a pricey hobby. At least it's getting progressively cheaper.

S4 is fine taking outdoor sunny daylight pictures. Or making Facebook uploads/ small prints. Plus you can sync to drop box as well.

If you are price sensitive stick with the s4 for now get the mini tripod. I rather you save for another flash deal.

However battery life is limited and I'm always slightly nervous when other people handle my phone. Either camera app sucks or it's prone to dropping.

When a point and shoot breaks you don't worry about lost contacts,lost emails and other mini computer stuff lost.

Thanks - and yeah that's my worry with using my phone. The camera is decent enough until I view them after the fact or when I take shots even in semi low light, it just goes downhill.

But then I'm risking it getting lost or stolen if I hand it off to someone, or if it breaks I lose a lot more than a camera. It doesn't help that it's also tied to my work so it's even more iffy to lose.

I guess I'll just hope another good price comes along before I leave, double checking current prices on the s95/s100 and it's painful that I didnt jump on the s95 I did find.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are going to Sandy and humid areas then get one of those casio TOUGH point and shoot. It's a lot hardier and much more reliable.

What you really should get is a good tripod. Remember to keep your horizons level. Seriously, good eye and technique is just as important as gear

rawrr posted:

Heard it's an amazing printer though!

I bought the pro9000 mk2 a while back off eBay. Opened the box, realized I wouldn't have space for it on my desk, and it's been in storage ever since :(

I'm so jealous.

caberham fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 22, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nah just get a mini tripod. :cool:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The Fuji XF1 I bought a few months ago suddenly started under/overexposing everthing as soon as I put the zoom past 35mm. I don't know how camera warranties work usually but I'm guessing since I bought it "like new" as opposed to new it's not under warranty anymore. :( My dad claims that these compact point and shoots tend to break more often for some reason, is this anyone else's experience? Because I might just buy something bigger next time if true, especially now that I have a newer Nokia phone that takes decent pictures while fitting in my pocket.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The Fuji XF1 I bought a few months ago suddenly started under/overexposing everthing as soon as I put the zoom past 35mm. I don't know how camera warranties work usually but I'm guessing since I bought it "like new" as opposed to new it's not under warranty anymore. :( My dad claims that these compact point and shoots tend to break more often for some reason, is this anyone else's experience? Because I might just buy something bigger next time if true, especially now that I have a newer Nokia phone that takes decent pictures while fitting in my pocket.

The XF1 had a notoriously faulty lens mechanism - the issue you're describing is one that I've read about a number of times. Probably the reason why Fuji didn't go back to the same form factor for the XQ1.

As for compact P+S cameras being more fragile, I don't think that's the case when looking at the P+S category as a whole. A compact can be well built.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Purely anecdotal, but my trusty little Canon IXUS 95 (bought "like new") survived years of rough handling, getting dropped, getting bathed in screwdriver, etc., without any major malfunctions. For a while the battery seemed dodgy, but that was due to a slightly loose lid, after I had dropped the camera onto the sidewalk (again). It magically went away after a few weeks.

On other news, I ordered the RX100III!! I'm super excited, after upgrading from the IXUS to a proper" DSLR I found that I took less and less photos, because bringing the camera felt like a chore, and my phone camera was crap. I look foward to always having a camera with me again!

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 31, 2014

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm thinking of getting an RX100 M3 too. I've got an old Nikon D50 but find I hardly use it due to the weight and hassle of changing lenses, especially when on holiday. For travelling I'm increasing going hand luggage only, so want something more compact. I just need to save up for it now!

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I picked up mine this morning - no buyer's regret here! :D I was actually saving to buy the canon 10-22mm for wide angle landscapes, but considering that I didn't even like bringing my DSLR kit on trips and hated having to stop to switch lenses, it wasn't a big jump to instead just spend a bit more money - and get a complete camera instead!

After playing around for a day, everything seems to work really well. I appreciate the wider angle and the potential for narrow-ish DOF, the low light ability is fantastic, the articulate screen opens up possibilities, and the size is perfect! It does get a bit thumb-crampy to set it all up, but once it is I think it will be great.

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 2, 2014

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

grack posted:

The XF1 had a notoriously faulty lens mechanism - the issue you're describing is one that I've read about a number of times. Probably the reason why Fuji didn't go back to the same form factor for the XQ1.

As for compact P+S cameras being more fragile, I don't think that's the case when looking at the P+S category as a whole. A compact can be well built.

I sent it to Fuji and they repaired it for free even though the Amazon receipt said it was used. I'm not super optimistic about how long it will last at this point, but they replaced the entire lens assembly and now it makes strange sounds and clicks the old one didn't so maybe some pieces got revised for the XQ1 or something.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I sent it to Fuji and they repaired it for free even though the Amazon receipt said it was used. I'm not super optimistic about how long it will last at this point, but they replaced the entire lens assembly and now it makes strange sounds and clicks the old one didn't so maybe some pieces got revised for the XQ1 or something.

The XQ1 went to a standard motorized zoom instead of a manual zoom. Same optics but in a completely different mechanism.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Supposedly the X30 via Fujirumors:

The LX8 is also rumored to be announced soon, also with a built in EVF.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm looking for something to take pictures indoors of cats/stuff I ebay, and maybe out when I bike I might stop and take nature scenes. Is the s110 good for this or is that too much? I know poo poo about photography except my old as hell digital camera is way outclassed by my smartphone. Pricewise i'd like to stay around $150 with $200 being the max.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's a solid camera. If you want to take ebay product pictures, then most definitely get some sort of soft box and other lighting set up.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
I have the Canon Powershot A570. I got it years ago (well, duh) and while I'm not much of a personal photographer I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading. Has camera technology changed much for those of us who just take vacation photos?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
What aspect of your current camera are you not happy with?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Emasculatrix posted:

I have the Canon Powershot A570. I got it years ago (well, duh) and while I'm not much of a personal photographer I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading. Has camera technology changed much for those of us who just take vacation photos?

It depends entirely on whether your eyes can tell the difference between your camera's photo and the photos taken from a cameras on this thread's title.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
I'm happy with my camera. I just suspected that maybe cameras are like cell phones, and I don't want to be stuck with a nokia when there's a good reason everyone nowadays has smartphones. If there'd be a huge jump in quality if I got a new camera, I wouldn't mind getting a new one.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://dealnews.com/Refurb-Canon-Powershot-G12-10-MP-5-x-Zoom-Camera-for-190-free-shipping/1137730.html

Refub G12 for 190. Great camera for long time time lapse.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Looks like the X30 is an X20 with tilt-able rear lcd, an electronic viewfinder instead of optical, and wi-fi. Oh and a beefed up battery.

Too bad for the EVF, I hate those things with a passion, not going to upgrade.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I like EVFs :(

Speaking of which, the RX-100 3 is a really cool little thing.

DSC00209-Edit.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I've only had the RX100M3 for 1 month but love it already. The EVF was extremely useful on our ski trip, especially with glaring sunlight on the hills where any screen would've been useless. This little camera has never made me feel limited to take a shot I wanted. I can't wait to take it on more trips!

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 7, 2014

Catico
Oct 13, 2004
ASK ME ABOUT MY CATS
I'm in the market for a compact point and shoot, ideally around $200 but up to $300 if it's really great. By compact I'm thinking pocket sized. Good optical zoom is a high priority (with low light being second). I want it to take on vacation, and right now our camera options involve lugging a DSLR or using an iPhone. I'm searching for something in between.

My last experience with a point and shoot was with a Canon G7, which was fantastic until I scratched the lens. It was a big bigger than I'd like this time around. I've seen some good things about the Nikon Coolpix S6800 (12x zoom) and the Canon Powershot SX600 (18x zoom). (I did consider one of the Olympus Stylus Tough cameras, though it's out of the budget, but they're pretty low zoom.) Does anybody have opinions about these or any recommendations for a decent point and shoot in my price range? I know I'm not going to get my vacation photos exhibited in the national gallery, but I'd like to have something that packs small and can take something halfway decent.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The long zooms are typically awful in low light, except maybe on the short end. Where are you traveling and what do you like to shoot? In most of my travels I find myself sticking to the wider end of my glass.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Catico posted:

I'm in the market for a compact point and shoot, ideally around $200 but up to $300 if it's really great. By compact I'm thinking pocket sized. Good optical zoom is a high priority (with low light being second). I want it to take on vacation, and right now our camera options involve lugging a DSLR or using an iPhone. I'm searching for something in between.

My last experience with a point and shoot was with a Canon G7, which was fantastic until I scratched the lens. It was a big bigger than I'd like this time around. I've seen some good things about the Nikon Coolpix S6800 (12x zoom) and the Canon Powershot SX600 (18x zoom). (I did consider one of the Olympus Stylus Tough cameras, though it's out of the budget, but they're pretty low zoom.) Does anybody have opinions about these or any recommendations for a decent point and shoot in my price range? I know I'm not going to get my vacation photos exhibited in the national gallery, but I'd like to have something that packs small and can take something halfway decent.

If you're looking for a travel zoom, see if you can find a cheap, discounted Canon SX270HS or SX280HS. Much better cameras than the SX600.

You'll probably want to pick up a spare battery or two as well.

Catico
Oct 13, 2004
ASK ME ABOUT MY CATS

DJExile posted:

The long zooms are typically awful in low light, except maybe on the short end. Where are you traveling and what do you like to shoot? In most of my travels I find myself sticking to the wider end of my glass.

I'm going to Japan and Honolulu in the early winter, and most of what I plan on shooting on that trip will be generic touristy photos of landmarks and people, etc. Good zoom is more important than low light. I do use zoom a lot when traveling to get the shots I want. The low light-zoom combo is something that has just become an ideal for me because I've done a lot of fieldwork under tree cover and like to photograph animals from afar. But realistically, yeah, I'm not expecting to do that with this particular camera. So let's scratch that particular aspect.

I guess what I'm really looking for is something versatile with good zoom so I can take standard cheesy tourist photos, plus occasional wildlife/nature shots.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Super cheesy photos normally just use cropped and magnified pictures :downsrim: Honestly, If you are going to use a zoom in lowlight, that's just screaming for a tripod.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

caberham posted:

Super cheesy photos normally just use cropped and magnified pictures :downsrim: Honestly, If you are going to use a zoom in lowlight, that's just screaming for a tripod.

Yeah this right here. Get yourself at least something like a gorillapod to help out. They travel really well.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I am hearing rumor of a Panasonic LX7 successor P&S with a 4/3 sensor lulz.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a gorillapod and one serious problem with it is that pressing the shutter button induces vibration that can ruin long exposures so you either need to use the timer or a remote release.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

qirex posted:

I have a gorillapod and one serious problem with it is that pressing the shutter button induces vibration that can ruin long exposures so you either need to use the timer or a remote release.

Wouldn't that be an issue with pretty much any tripod though?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
God drat Canon has a new 1" sensor G7X, Panasonic has a P&S with a 4/3 sensor. Everybody is coming out gun blazing. I feel very sorry for the X30.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

What does everyone think of the new G7X vs the RX100 III? I like the touchscreen but the battery life and EVF look better on the Sony.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I definitely liked the UI better on the Canons I had before my RX100 but yeah that battery life is pretty miserable. It's exacerbated to me by the fact that Canon still refuses to support USB charging, it was really nice to be able to sit down on a train or at lunch and use my external USB battery to top it up.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

What does everyone think of the new G7X vs the RX100 III? I like the touchscreen but the battery life and EVF look better on the Sony.

I was pretty set on the RX100 III (which I'll have the funds for after xmas) but yeah now I'm looking at the G7X too. I haven't played with one yet, but the VF on the RX does seem like a killer feature for me. Especially after hearing the good reviews about it in this thread. Personally, I really dislike composing on the back of a LCD with my hands in front of my face. I feel like I do a better job when I use a viewfinder and I get a bit more stability with the camera resting on my face. I guess that comes from being more of a DSLR shooter.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Haggins posted:

I was pretty set on the RX100 III (which I'll have the funds for after xmas) but yeah now I'm looking at the G7X too. I haven't played with one yet, but the VF on the RX does seem like a killer feature for me. Especially after hearing the good reviews about it in this thread. Personally, I really dislike composing on the back of a LCD with my hands in front of my face. I feel like I do a better job when I use a viewfinder and I get a bit more stability with the camera resting on my face. I guess that comes from being more of a DSLR shooter.

Yeah that's my thinking too. The Sony has dropped to £600 on Amazon, which isn't much more than the Canon, so I think I'll still go for the former when I do but a compact.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Lady Gaza posted:

Yeah that's my thinking too. The Sony has dropped to £600 on Amazon, which isn't much more than the Canon, so I think I'll still go for the former when I do but a compact.

I really do like the EVF. Although I'm pretty spoiled by the X-T1 EVF and the RX's seems teeny in comparison. Eons better than the live view in most situations, though.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Somebody in China has already received his Canon G7x, its about 600 USD. If you order it in Hong Kong now and wait, you can get it for around 530.

The dimension is exactly the same as the RX103. I though the RX would be taller due to the EVF but apparently not.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010
Hey everyone! I'm not sure if a broken P&S question should go here, so let me know if I should report elsewhere. My Sony Rx100 has recently malfunctioned and I have no idea what's wrong with it. Nothing unusual happened to it, as far as I know.

I turned it on to take a photo and the screen displayed a grey and magenta pattern that shifted around constantly, almost like static on a TV. The camera HUD is displayed over top of it, but some of the info displayed doesn't make sense. It seems like the camera is still partially working: the lens extends when I turn it on and I can still access the menu, zoom, and change certain settings. However, it won't take photos and other settings don't work (changing the aperture, for example). When I turn it off, the lens doesn't retract. If I remove/replace the battery and turn the camera on, then lens retracts and then extends again (and then the camera goes back to the grey/magenta pattern).

Things I've tried:
-Taking out the battery and replacing it
-Did a factory reset through the menu system
-Switched out the SD card
-Connected it to my computer
-Fully charged it
-Shook it like an etch-a-sketch and looked at it sadly

I'm pretty sure my camera is out of warranty and I'm currently in Australia travelling. Any ideas what the problem might be? Is it worth finding a camera repair shop? Is there anything else I can do to try and fix it? Thanks for your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sounds like you managed to gently caress the sensor and maybe part of the lens. If it's out of warranty your best option will be to buy a new camera since out of warranty repairs would probably be more than a new camera.

• Locked thread