Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

I wrote up a thing on the 30 Best Thunderbolts Moments. Yes, there's a Daniel Way entry tossed in there. I'm not perfect.

Parker and Soule seemed to dig it at least.

I enjoyed reading that. When it was coming out (though I only followed it in trades), New Thunderbolts was my favourite comic (jointly with JSA by Geoff Johs). I'm not sure why I liked it so much, since I didn't really have any familiarity with the characters, but I thought it was great. In retrospect, I'm a little cooler towards it, and it seems like it was especially badly derailed by Civil War, but I still have a certain degree of nostalgia for it.

I also think Nicieza is an underrated writer. He may not break new ground on a regular basis or anything, but he's very good at what he does.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love the Cable and Deadpool series so Fabian Nicieza is alright with me. I still think it's the best run of Deadpool ever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Deadpool posted:

I love the Cable and Deadpool series so Fabian Nicieza is alright with me. I still think it's the best run of Deadpool ever.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. Dude's a fantastic character writer and I tend to enjoy his stuff. It's just that he has a tendency to write overly complicated Maguffin stories that my brain just glosses over and pays attention to everything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I wrote up a thing on the 30 Best Thunderbolts Moments. Yes, there's a Daniel Way entry tossed in there. I'm not perfect.

That's legit my favorite thing you've written to date.

Shame on you for not mentioning Boomerang trying to score a threesome with Meteorite and Moonstone though.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Wendell posted:

I was just joking about the last name because of how silly it was that a man with magnet powers was named Magnus at one point!
Poison Ivy => Pamela Isely
Joker => Jack Napier
The Riddler => Edward Nigma
Mr Freeze => Victor Fries

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things isn't a DC Comics property.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

That's legit my favorite thing you've written to date.

Thank you.

quote:

Shame on you for not mentioning Boomerang trying to score a threesome with Meteorite and Moonstone though.

That was pretty fantastic. Especially because they had been building up a Boomerang/Moonstone romance and the moment he made his move, it was never mentioned again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

That was pretty fantastic. Especially because they had been building up a Boomerang/Moonstone romance and the moment he made his move, it was never mentioned again.

Well how would you react if the dude who's been charming you tried to hook up with you and your younger self at the same time?

Maybe you should amend the article with 10 honorable mentions?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"A pig coughed and you fell out." is one of my favourite comic lines ever. :allears:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
At what point in the comic books did Magneto and Xavier become old friends? In the earliest X-Men books, there is no mention of any prior relationship.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

At what point in the comic books did Magneto and Xavier become old friends? In the earliest X-Men books, there is no mention of any prior relationship.

Claremont's run around 165 or so. There's a whole issue detailing how they met. I think that's where it starts, but I know we see them together when Charles gets crippled by space Satan before that.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Did Magneto first take over Genosha in the X-Men cartoon or in the comics?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Thinking on it, I believe Magneto was first referred to as "Erik Lensherr" in X-Men Unlimited #3, which served as a prologue/lead-in to the Fatal Attractions event.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Joker => Jack Napier

Like the Magnus thing I'm pretty sure they eventually retconned that Edward Nigma isn't actually his real name.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Max Eisendhart has to be the most pointless retcon ever.

Sorry, second to the "She-Hulk didn't sleep with Juggernaut" retcon.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Well Mags was first wasn't he?

That's the best part of Erik the Red. The first person to use the costume was Cyclops. :allears:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Like the Magnus thing I'm pretty sure they eventually retconned that Edward Nigma isn't actually his real name.

Obviously it's silly when the person gets powers thematic with their name like Mr. Freeze or Captain Atom, but sometimes the idea is the character chose their hero/villain name based on their real name. Jubilee, Steel, Crossfire, etc.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

Joker => Jack Napier

I thought Joker had no real name and pretty much every one we've been given was a pseudonym.
And shame on you for leaving out his highly original "Joseph Kerr."

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Don't forget the Spot or whatever his name is, a teleported named Telfred Porter. Marvel character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

I thought Joker had no real name and pretty much every one we've been given was a pseudonym.
And shame on you for leaving out his highly original "Joseph Kerr."

Jack Napier's from the movie.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Sorry, second to the "She-Hulk didn't sleep with Juggernaut" retcon.
I think some people thought that "Lehnsherr", which means "liege lord" in German, was too aristocratic-sounding a name for a Jew.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Don't forget the Spot or whatever his name is, a teleported named Telfred Porter. Marvel character.

I like the Golden Age JSA/Silver Age JLA enemy the Wizard, whose real name is something like William I. Zard.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gavok posted:

That was a really good list and makes me want to read some of the older Thunderbolts stuff.

I would've added that Civil War T-Bolts issue where Zemo gives him a treasure chest of WWII nostalgia including his original SHIELD.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

He's "The Vanisher" from way back in X-Men #2. He was used as recently as Second Coming I believe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Just wanted to say that having never read any Thunderbolts except for bits of the Ellis run, I really enjoyed reading this, and will probably grab a bunch of back issues if I come across any. I love an underdog team book, and this looks like it should be right up my alley.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'm sad that's no love for the issue where the New Avengers get attacked by the Thunderbolts as a message from the government while Joystick sneaks into Avengers Tower and gets her rear end kicked but manages to steal their files or something like that. I really liked the idea and way that played out. It was one of the better Hero vs Hero things at the time.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

IUG posted:

He's "The Vanisher" from way back in X-Men #2. He was used as recently as Second Coming I believe.

Didn't XForce use him for a while?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Didn't XForce use him for a while?

Yeah, but he was killed when all the other teleporters were slain. It was part of the plan to isolate them on the Utopia island, seal them in a barrier, and flood the place with nimrods. I remember a big scene of him trying to escape his fate.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I was glad when he died. Didn't know the guy outside of X-Force but c'mon. Telford Porter. Whoever came up with that one probably felt smug all drat week.
Magneto will always be Erik Lehnsherr to me. It's the only one that isn't stupid (this was for the two people who didn't know Eisen means "iron" in German).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Diet Poison posted:

I was glad when he died. Didn't know the guy outside of X-Force but c'mon. Telford Porter. Whoever came up with that one probably felt smug all drat week.

It sounds like a Stan Lee name and when isn't he smug?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Pun-tastic names are not a Stan Lee thing. As another goon pointed out, it's DC Comics that loves to do that.

Speaking of Magneto, how long can Marvel keep saying he was a survivor of the Nazi Holocaust? He's bloody old yet, aside from his hair, he's fit as a fiddle and totally jacked. Unless Marvel adds biological immortality to his list of mutant powers, they should revise his origin story. I think they should rewrite him as a survivor of the ethnic cleansings that occurred during the Balkan civil wars of the 1990s. Make him a Bosnian or a Serb. That was the most recent episode of genocide in Europe AFAIK.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 22, 2014

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Speaking of Magneto, how long can Marvel keep saying he was a survivor of the Nazi Holocaust? He's bloody old yet, aside from his hair, he's fit as a fiddle and totally jacked. Unless Marvel adds biological immortality to his list of mutant powers, they should revise his origin story. I think they should rewrite him as a survivor of the ethnic cleansings that occurred during the Balkan civil wars of the 1990s. Make him a Bosnian or a Serb. That was the most recent episode of genocide in Europe AFAIK.

Hasn't he been killed then resurrected a couple time? I think he got de-aged recently.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MH Knights posted:

Hasn't he been killed then resurrected a couple time? I think he got de-aged recently.
De-aging events and whatnot complicate his origin story. Marvel should stick him to an simple and stable template: he was a member of some persecuted ethnic minority who survived an ethnic cleansing before discovering he was also a mutant.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He was deaged yep. Though eventually they'll have to explain how he was like 80 and had kids before getting deaged. Unless they just say his powers made him age slowly.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

bobkatt013 posted:

He prefers names that start with the same letter. Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, et al.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

He was deaged yep. Though eventually they'll have to explain how he was like 80 and had kids before getting deaged. Unless they just say his powers made him age slowly.

They did that for Sebastian Shaw in the movie. Lots of mutants have incidental immortality.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
They could even go as far as to say that just by virtue of being X-Gene positive you age slower and have something like a 150% expected lifespan.
Of course, that would raise more questions for people like Tony Stark and J. Jonah Jameson who have no reason to not be old as gently caress/dead by now even if Magneto does. Whoops.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Diet Poison posted:

They could even go as far as to say that just by virtue of being X-Gene positive you age slower and have something like a 150% expected lifespan.
Of course, that would raise more questions for people like Tony Stark and J. Jonah Jameson who have no reason to not be old as gently caress/dead by now even if Magneto does. Whoops.

Why would Tony? They changed his to Afghanistan and there will always be wars there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

irlZaphod posted:

To be fair, the series where it came about (Magneto: Testament series by Greg Pakk and Carmine Di Giandomenico) is so well researched that it makes sense in context. ( I think part of his reason for doing it was that Leshner wasn't even a real name, but a quick Google search proves that is wrong.)

It also tied it all into an actual historical escape attempt from Auschwitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

The Spot's real name is a much better, subtler pun. His name is Jonathan Ohnn.

• Locked thread