Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Zesty Mordant posted:

Watch "The Story of Film" on netflix. There's a movie list to accompany it somewhere. You really can't do much better for a free 11-hour film overview course. We were talking about it in another thread and I'll repeat my thoughts: It does a really good job of demonstrating, rather than just talking about "this movie was revolutionary. It did stuff that hadn't been done before." You'll get to see side-by-side comparisons and juxtapositions of style and all sorts of cool stuff, especially in the early parts.

This is absolutely perfect. Thanks a ton!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

When did filmmakers first start making period-pastiche films? Like, we have movies nowadays that purposefully imitate, you know, film noir, or silent film, and that kind of thing. But who first went back and imitated a previous, out-dated film style?

The flashback scene in The Mummy (32) was purposefully shot in the style of silent films.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

When did filmmakers first start making period-pastiche films? Like, we have movies nowadays that purposefully imitate, you know, film noir, or silent film, and that kind of thing. But who first went back and imitated a previous, out-dated film style?

Jacques Tati pretty much updated silent comedy for sound film. He has an entire scene transposed from The General in his short film "School for Postmen" and it was made a year before MGM remade the film with Red Skelton. I'd imagine the most influence would be abroad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's the difference between a cult film and an alternative film, if you had to define at least one?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vegetable posted:

What's the difference between a cult film and an alternative film, if you had to define at least one?

I'd say an alternative film tends to be something on the lower budget side of things, and doesn't fit neatly into any one genre, and defies people expectations of the type of film it may appear to be at first glance.

A cult film can be any film, but usually started out receiving mixed to bad reviews, but over time has developed a "cult" following because of some unique aspect of the film that grabs people.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'd say that you can't go out and expect to make a 'cult' film. You can try, and there have been several that have come out recently (Birdemic, The Room, Sharknado) that seem to be grasping for that title on purpose. I doubt that anyone will say that these movies don't currently have a small cult following, but I wouldn't expect that to last.

But as opposed to, Rocky Horror, I doubt we're going to get 25th anniversary editions of the above three ever.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CzarChasm posted:

I'd say that you can't go out and expect to make a 'cult' film. You can try, and there have been several that have come out recently (Birdemic, The Room, Sharknado) that seem to be grasping for that title on purpose. I doubt that anyone will say that these movies don't currently have a small cult following, but I wouldn't expect that to last.

But as opposed to, Rocky Horror, I doubt we're going to get 25th anniversary editions of the above three ever.

I wouldn't put The Room on that list at all. Particularly after reading Greg Sistero's book. Everything in that movie is totally straight, or it was intended that way. Wiseau thought he was making a serious melodrama. It attained whatever fame it did well after the fact (Let's not forget that it was released in 2002 and languised for a while). The Room will last, the others won't. It has performances pretty regularly that still do really well and while the heat will die off, it'll still make plenty of 'worst movie ever' lists. Sharknado is just another in the long line of 'crazy animal' movies that Sci-Fy knock out every other week it seems.

Sharknado and the ilk commit the mistake of trying to be funny. There's a difference between a bad line reading or a bad performance and someone deliberately giving a bad line reading. The Room 'worked' because it was totally sincere in what it did (Despite what Wiseau now claims, but sitting with audience after audience laughing at you will understandably do that).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

A local theater has been doing Room showings for 5 years and they have been mostly sold out. I do not think that its going anywhere.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CzarChasm posted:

I'd say that you can't go out and expect to make a 'cult' film.
This is why I can't stand Troma films. With something like Plan 9 or Troll 2 you can believe that they legitimately were comically incompetent, but something like The Toxic Crusader is way too self aware of how terrible it is for me to get much joy out of it.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The Toxic Avenger isn't trying to be bad necessarily, though, it's just being tongue-in-cheek, over the top and campy. There's a difference between Troma films and the Asylum garbage that's been coming out, I think.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zesty Mordant posted:

The Toxic Avenger isn't trying to be bad necessarily, though, it's just being tongue-in-cheek, over the top and campy. There's a difference between Troma films and the Asylum garbage that's been coming out, I think.

Oh, a huge difference. The Toxic Avenger has more in common with John Waters than the ScyFy channel.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Sharknado did what it set out to do which was to get people talking about it and it got huge ratings. It's probably a terrible movie though of course.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, a huge difference. The Toxic Avenger has more in common with John Waters than the ScyFy channel.

Yeah exactly. that's a good comparison

Sowchoy
May 7, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

A local theater has been doing Room showings for 5 years and they have been mostly sold out. I do not think that its going anywhere.
You're not in Denver by any chance, are you? 'Cause that's happening here as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sowchoy posted:

You're not in Denver by any chance, are you? 'Cause that's happening here as well.

Nope Brookline

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CzarChasm posted:

I may be in the minority, but I'm going to say The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra tried too hard to be a bad 50s movie. Every line and action was too calculated.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

I may be in the minority, but I'm going to say The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra tried too hard to be a bad 50s movie. Every line and action was too calculated.

It really nails that weird circular exposition, though. "This could lead to important breakthroughs in the field of science!"

Box of Frogs
Feb 12, 2012
Do films restored by the World Cinema Foundation eventually find their way to a DVD/Bluray release?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DrVenkman posted:

I know Mel Brooks did Silent Movie and there was Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid but I can't think of anything earlier than those. I'm sure someone will though.

Even if we're just talking Brooks, Young Frankenstein predates Silent Movie by 2 years.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Box of Frogs posted:

Do films restored by the World Cinema Foundation eventually find their way to a DVD/Bluray release?
At least some of them do: http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1021-martin-scorsese-s-world-cinema-project

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I'm looking for a movie that resembles a really low-budget rip-off of Alien/Aliens where the hero thrusts his hand into the alien monster and rips out its heart. Any ideas?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 23, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm looking for a movie that resembles a really low-budget rip-off of Alien/Aliens where the hero thrusts his hand into the alien monster and rips out its heart. Any ideas?

Was it Split Second?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was it Split Second?

That's it, thanks.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Tracing the family tree of films that Alien/Aliens borrowed from and were later ripped off by is one of my favorite activities. That one good enough to justify checking out?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's decent enough. There are actually some really decent effects in the film, and some seriously terrible ones at times. It's got a great early 90's "We're gonna mash up Aliens and Bladerunner and Robocop" cheesy vibe to it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3htEmUIUSo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Tracing the family tree of films that Alien/Aliens borrowed from and were later ripped off by is one of my favorite activities. That one good enough to justify checking out?

The best of these is Deep Space, starring the gym teacher from that one episode of Community:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU5_RtDXrJw

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jack Gladney posted:

The best of these is Deep Space, starring the gym teacher from that one episode of Community:

Love that they blatantly use the music from Aliens in the trailer.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

That movie looks AWESOME. But that's Charles Napier, you're thinking of Blake Clark.

Also Ron Glass! I gotta find this movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The face hugger are built on gloves (as they were in Alien too, I think), and to have them move they have the actor wear them as they're struggling to get them off. Also, I'm pretty sure the alien turns out to be an experiment that escapes from a lab, so there's no space in this one at all.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Unmature posted:

That movie looks AWESOME. But that's Charles Napier, you're thinking of Blake Clark.

Also Ron Glass! I gotta find this movie.

What a Duketastrophy!

PostwarMutant
Oct 30, 2010

Vegetable posted:

I've never heard the term "alternative film." Where did you hear it? Alternative to what?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

PostwarMutant posted:

I've never heard the term "alternative film." Where did you hear it? Alternative to what?

It sounds like a label old-fart media would have used in the 90s to describe low-budget independent movies like Clerks, Slacker or even Kids.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

When I hear it, it's like Alt-Rock in the early/mid 1990s. It's no longer really alternative, but bordering on mainstream. Gen-X nonsense. Alternative was the keyword back then. I bet someone called Reality Bites an alternative film.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Alternative film sometimes meant independent films made outside of the system, sometimes meant avant-garde and other experimental films, but often meant one of those two that also dealt with issues that were alternative to mainstream cinema (such as LGBT films, minority culture films, etc.).

Not that I disagree that it's a fairly useless term, but it wasn't made up in the 90s (just like "alternative" as a music label wasn't made up in the 90s).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah I should clarify. Alternative rock is older, I meant the way it was used in the 90s.

e: lol "Released by Universal Pictures, REALITY BITES has all the trappings of an alternative movie, but none of the actual alternative-ness. What's it an alternative to, anyway--all those movies about young people getting married, finding jobs in plastics, and settling down in the suburbs?" http://movies.tvguide.com/reality-bites/review/129805

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there somewhere that just lists in a very simple form a list of movies shown at indie film festivals with ratings next to them? There are tons of movies I never hear about unless I spend hours on the internet reading lovely movie review sites.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Reason posted:

Is there somewhere that just lists in a very simple form a list of movies shown at indie film festivals with ratings next to them? There are tons of movies I never hear about unless I spend hours on the internet reading lovely movie review sites.

Usually indie festivals show a lot of movies that don't have very many reviews, so getting any kind of critical consensus on them would be impossible. Just read the synopsis of the films and be okay with the chance you might see a bad movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Usually indie festivals show a lot of movies that don't have very many reviews, so getting any kind of critical consensus on them would be impossible. Just read the synopsis of the films and be okay with the chance you might see a bad movie.

If what he means is "is there a site that compiles a list of films that have been shown at film festivals" so that, without going to the festivals, you can see what new films there are, I would be interested in this as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

If what he means is "is there a site that compiles a list of films that have been shown at film festivals" so that, without going to the festivals, you can see what new films there are, I would be interested in this as well.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Does it take much longer to film a 3 hour movie compared to say a 90 min one? Would you expect it to be double the shooting length? What about general costs of making a longer film compared to a shorter one?