Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

How many laws would this gently caress with if they all suddenly had to be amended to read "the state or the federal government"?

"state" usually only means the states and most laws are written with that understanding - the issue here was whether "an exchange established by a state" was intended to include ones established by the federal government in its role as stand-in, not whether "state" means state or state and federal governments.

So basically, none of them, since they're written that way normally and this was a drafting issue with PPACA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nate RFB posted:

Healthcare costs would skyrocket since millions of people receiving health insurance would no longer be able to pay for them. It would be catastrophic.

Hey, remember when the Republicans were shouting about how closing national parks was hurting people in order to get laws Obama wanted passed?

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

BrandorKP posted:

Anyone see anything about Rick Perry sending a miltia to the Texas border yet? Heard it on the radio but haven't seen anything written.

Just saw this on BBC. Fortunately its only the National Guard and not a militia.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28414189

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
looking forward to hearing stories about corrupt national guardsman receiving payoffs from coyotes and/or literally loving immigrants.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

"state" usually only means the states and most laws are written with that understanding - the issue here was whether "an exchange established by a state" was intended to include ones established by the federal government in its role as stand-in, not whether "state" means state or state and federal governments.

So basically, none of them, since they're written that way normally and this was a drafting issue with PPACA.

The majority's reading is, of course, tendentious as all gently caress, and specious, and gently caress them

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

iamnotcreative posted:

Not exactly Texas, but this will probably cause a bit of a right wing freakout

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/26076395/working-class-whites-lose-voting-dominance-in-ohio

I'll admit I touched the poop a bit in comments there, I'm wondering how many thumbs up my Toledo1488 comment will get and if it'll be removed.

Toledo is made of union Democrats, not social justice Democrats. They're freepers that are soft on their hatred of poor people.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The majority's reading is, of course, tendentious as all gently caress, and specious, and gently caress them

Oh god yes, only an insane person wouldn't have read it to mean "or the state exchange operated by the Feds", but the majority's terrible reading doesn't impact other laws use of the word state.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If this ruling stands, here is what will happen

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/obamacare-halbig-premiums

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

joeburz posted:

The correct label is usually a dash of lying on top of a hefty portion of delusion. My libertarian friend said he understands why unions aren't necessary because he worked a minimum wage job once painting houses therefore everyone should make 2 dollars an hour after min wage is abolished(while he is conveniently getting a law degree care of the GI Bill).

Who the hell paints houses for minimum wage? I've been doing it all summer (teaching yay!) for an average of 20 an hour.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

In more lighter news:

This happened

Hacked or someone on the EPA accidentally hooked their twitter to the game

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

If a law says "the State" it means the government in its entirety (as State is being mentioned as a monolithic thing. If it says "a state" then it's generally referring to the 50 states and possibly the federal government as "a state" is implying more than one body involved.

Yay Georgia! :confuoot:

At least if Carter wins and kicks Deal's corrupt rear end in to a cold damp cell until the day he dies out of office a state exchange would probably be setup properly.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So the 4th Circuit Court of appeals was also hearing on the subsidies

They just ruled to uphold them

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/king_usca4_20140722.pdf

So basically conservatives got to celebrate for about 90 minutes

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 22, 2014

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fried Chicken posted:

So the 4th Circuit Court if appeals was also hearing on the subsidies

Seriously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

So the 4th Circuit Court if appeals was also hearing on the subsidies

Does this court supersede the Court of Appeals?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If a law says "the State" it means the government in its entirety (as State is being mentioned as a monolithic thing. If it says "a state" then it's generally referring to the 50 states and possibly the federal government as "a state" is implying more than one body involved.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/300gg-91#d_14

quote:

The term “State” means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Does this court supersede the Court of Appeals?

I don't think so, I think this was another prong of the challengers attack, one case against the IRS, one through the states. Same legal argument, different plaintiffs so they could try different approaches to standing

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh, and Warren came out with another definitive "I'm not running today" in response to being asked about the "draft Warren" movement

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...BZYI/story.html

Run Liz Run

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I don't think it's a good idea for a Senator to run for president in their first term. The current presidency is a good example of why.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're a Warren fan I don't know why you'd want her to run and get shredded by the Hillary "It's Officially My Turn" Political Machine.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

zoux posted:

If you're a Warren fan I don't know why you'd want her to run and get shredded by the Hillary "It's Officially My Turn" Political Machine.

Can you imagine how bad the GOP would turn off women if Warren was the VP candidate with Hillary? I mean, even more than usual.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Beamed posted:

I don't think it's a good idea for a Senator to run for president in their first term. The current presidency is a good example of why.

Yeah, the problems we are having are totally the result of Obama's failure to lead and not that a whole political party has gone completely batshit.

Ron Fournier account spotted

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Ed Klein account spotted.

All sorts of famous people posting here today

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, the problems we are having are totally the result of Obama's failure to lead and not that a whole political party has gone completely batshit.

Ron Fournier account spotted

Do you remember when in 2011 Harry Reid asked Obama to not take part in Senate discussions anymore, implicitly because he just wasn't as connected and experienced with it? No one's denying the GOP jumped off the deep-end, but having someone with more experience may have done a lot more good.

I guess it's true what they say; conservatives fall in line, Democrats fall in love.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Beamed posted:

Do you remember when in 2011 Harry Reid asked Obama to not take part in Senate discussions anymore, implicitly because he just wasn't as connected and experienced with it? No one's denying the GOP jumped off the deep-end, but having someone with more experience may have done a lot more good.

I guess it's true what they say; conservatives fall in line, Democrats fall in love.

No? And why would the president be part of Senate deliberations anyway?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CaptainCarrot posted:

No? And why would the president be part of Senate deliberations anyway?

I'm the ghost of Lyndon Baines Johnson and I'd like to talk to you about Getting poo poo Done.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can you imagine how bad the GOP would turn off women if Warren was the VP candidate with Hillary? I mean, even more than usual.

Dems too though. "Two white people on a ticket" (even if they're both women) is probably not going to be a thing except under very unlikely circumstances.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So this 4th circuit ruling pretty much guarantees that the administration will go for en banc on both of them. If they do that then the ruling will match (significant Dem advantages on both) and the SCOTUS is less likely to pick it up.

Also, this Dominos Pizza Hut line from the 4th circuit is going to have to be the august thread title as soon as someone makes it funny

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 22, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

En Banc :)

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

US Pol August: The Literal Destruction of my Lunch Order

EDIT: Or, "US Pol August: I Wanted Dominos for Lunch, Michelle Obama Said No"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I want Warren to stay exactly where she is. The financial industry opposing her nomination for CFPB head only to have her end up on the Senate Banking Committee is just too drat perfect.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Fried Chicken posted:

So this 4th circuit ruling pretty much guarantees that the administration will go for en banc on both of them. If they do that then the ruling will match (significant Dem advantages on both) and the SCOTUS is less likely to pick it up.

Also, this Dominos Pizza Hut line from the 4th circuit is going to have to be the august thread title as soon as someone makes it funny

Can you explain why they would go en banc on the case before the 4th circuit court of appeals?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Amergin posted:

US Pol August: The Literal Destruction of my Lunch Order

You son of a bitch, why are you so good at this!? :argh:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

api call girl posted:

Can you explain why they would go en banc on the case before the 4th circuit court of appeals?

Looking it up apparently I misread the explanation, they don't need en banc on both, they just need to match. So if the admin goes en banc on DC circuit they are good, and even if the plaintiffs go en banc on 4th it is going to stand

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Oh boy it's going to be dueling pizza metaphors all the way down isn't it. LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE 4TH CIRCUIT. WAS IT WORTH IT

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dems need to start dropping that second one as an applause line

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh boy it's going to be dueling pizza metaphors all the way down isn't it. LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE 4TH CIRCUIT. WAS IT WORTH IT

Dueling pizza metaphors are the best thing to happen to this country's political dialogue since ever, so shut up

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Here's the deal: I'm retarded when it comes to all this court stuff. The 4th circuit upheld them and the appeals court ruled against them. Why is the 4th circuit ruling better than the appeals court ruling? Does it help with the case against the appeals court ruling?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

Here's the deal: I'm retarded when it comes to all this court stuff. The 4th circuit upheld them and the appeals court ruled against them. Why is the 4th circuit ruling better than the appeals court ruling? Does it help with the case against the appeals court ruling?

Neither one matters because it's almost certainly going to the full DC Court next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

TwoQuestions posted:

Toledo is made of union Democrats, not social justice Democrats. They're freepers that are soft on their hatred of poor people.

It's up to +12 now, and I know other comments have been moderated away.

• Locked thread