Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't get to do a lot of modeling anymore so my techniques are... less than desirable.

I'm modeling a duck blind for an upcoming commercial. Doesn't need to be super high detail (but it'll be slightly more dense than you see here). I started off box modeling and then did some curve projection onto poly to cut out windows. That of course leads to some terrible geometry. Any retopo solutions people might do in this scenario? I need quads, but I kind of screwed myself with those cutouts. Can I roundtrip it through anything?

edit: I'm guessing I'll probably have to just start over since I didn't really utilize an effective method. Since it's not ultra high resolution I might just go with a transparency in the texture.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I've heard Modo has some amazing Boolean style modelling functions, the topology is great too. Either that or you could just sub d it and quad it to hell!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
What about trying cloth dynamic simulation? That looks like a tent of some sort. Skip trying to model it and let cloth do it's thing!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Ideally I would:

1. Build a rough blockout
2. Create a dense plane, and cloth sim it on top (the denser the mesh the better)
3. Boolean it after the sim

The problem you're having right now is that your base mesh is far too low poly to support the high poly objects you're attempting to boolean. Unless you're doing a boolean on a flat plane, you need to match the level geometry between both the mesh and the booleaned object as closely as possible. This will not only make cleanup much easier, but will ensure that your boolean operation doesn't completely destroy your mesh.

You can probably rescue your current work by tossing a meshmooth or turbosmooth modifier on top of your base mesh, and using standard subd supporting loops to get your nice tight creases back. This will give you a much denser mesh to boolean in to.

I'd probably do the cloth sim route first as that will look better than attempting to do draped cloth by hand (which always looks a bit unnatural) and still gives you a good mesh to work with.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks for all the advice. Feeling rusty!

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to try putting 3d stuff into footage, but don't have a decent camera. Is there a place where I can download some random stock footage for this purpose? Like for example one where a camera is rotating around a table or panning across a room/street?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Ervin K posted:

I want to try putting 3d stuff into footage, but don't have a decent camera. Is there a place where I can download some random stock footage for this purpose? Like for example one where a camera is rotating around a table or panning across a room/street?

You can find some free matchmoving / greenscreen plates here.

Also, if you download a trial version of some matchmoving packages or poke around their site you can often find some instructional assets available. Here's a big download from the 3DEqualizer site:

http://www.sci-d-vis.com/index.php#?site=download&id=090731_02

Which package are you going to be using? I have some experience in Nuke, boujou and 3DE and would be happy to help if I can.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Anyone have any helpful advice regarding 3d max's render to texture feature "all prepared"?

I'm trying to render to texture a bunch of individual objects to one texture file. So I don't want to have to render out 15 images, photoshop copy+paste/align each one because that'd be annoying.

So I see there's this "all prepared" thing, and it seems to be what I want to use. But when I try and use it, everything gets greyed out and I can't do anything.

I figured "preparing" an object basically meant telling 3d max I want to bake it, what file to output, padding size, etc. etc. but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So anyone have any experience with this "all prepared" thing in max?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
So I've been slowly loving around with 3D stuff, as a hobby since it's always interested me. I've decided to force myself to practice at least a few hours every other day each week. Stepped away from Maya and started playing with Sculptris, learned the tools and theory, then failed at most models. So I took some anatomy lessons on Digital Tutors and made these:

At the same time, to keep from burning out, I'm doing Digital Tutor's indie game pipeline and making a side scroller, so the first boss is this rock golem type dude. I still need to re-topo and rig and all that, but first I need to come up with a hero.

Anyway, any tips and pointers would help. I think my anatomy sculpts are too muscular, and needs more skin/fat.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

KiddieGrinder posted:

Anyone have any helpful advice regarding 3d max's render to texture feature "all prepared"?

I'm trying to render to texture a bunch of individual objects to one texture file. So I don't want to have to render out 15 images, photoshop copy+paste/align each one because that'd be annoying.

So I see there's this "all prepared" thing, and it seems to be what I want to use. But when I try and use it, everything gets greyed out and I can't do anything.

I figured "preparing" an object basically meant telling 3d max I want to bake it, what file to output, padding size, etc. etc. but that doesn't seem to be the case.

So anyone have any experience with this "all prepared" thing in max?

If you make sure you render out a 32 bit texture each time you can use the alpha channel to mask each map. It's slower than what you wanted but won't take more than a few minutes.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

RizieN posted:

So I've been slowly loving around with 3D stuff, as a hobby since it's always interested me. I've decided to force myself to practice at least a few hours every other day each week. Stepped away from Maya and started playing with Sculptris, learned the tools and theory, then failed at most models. So I took some anatomy lessons on Digital Tutors and made these:

At the same time, to keep from burning out, I'm doing Digital Tutor's indie game pipeline and making a side scroller, so the first boss is this rock golem type dude. I still need to re-topo and rig and all that, but first I need to come up with a hero.

Anyway, any tips and pointers would help. I think my anatomy sculpts are too muscular, and needs more skin/fat.

That's cool, seems like excellent work coming from another beginner. By the way, what's up with the indie game pipeline? It teaches you how to build a complete side scroller or just the assets for one? Sounds interesting (and difficult and time consuming).

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
It's pretty awesome. They basically take you from concept to prototyping in unity, to modelling, rigging, animating, and finishing out the level with all the final assets. You write a few C# scripts in unity to make character health, movement, collisions, boss damage and camera movement. At the end you basically have a very short side-scroller with a boss battle (you basically run over to the boss area and do the battle). But the foundations are there that if you want to expand on it and make a complete game all your own then you pretty much have the tools and resources to do so.

Right now my unity prototype (full of placeholder capsules for models) is complete and the boss does damage to the character and when one of you dies the level restarts. So basically I just need to get my models and level artwork together and wrap it up.

Digital-Tutors has some really awesome stuff for a lot of software, and they try to teach you in the "best-practice"/most common way that the industry does it in, I'd recommend it.

e; It's not terribly difficult to be honest. I had taken a C++ class in highschool (10 years ago, the only thing I've retained is the theory/syntax rules), and taught myself enough HTML to get by, and that's it. I picked up on the c# pretty easily, it's all kind of common sense if you know the basics of if statements, functions, and variables. Plus he explains everything really well. It is a bit time consuming, but really only because you have to watch the videos and sometimes I'd watch them twice just to really drill it in.

post edit; oh and now Digital Tutors subscribers also get access to Plural Sight (a code writing tutorial website).

RizieN fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 25, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Ignoring my frankly terrible modelling and rigging work so far, what's the best ways you guys have found to get work in this field? Should I put together a portfolio and send it to various companies, or just apply for freelance stuff on places like elance and odesk?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah that sounds great. I might have to check out Digital Tutors now.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Hbomberguy posted:

Ignoring my frankly terrible modelling and rigging work so far, what's the best ways you guys have found to get work in this field? Should I put together a portfolio and send it to various companies, or just apply for freelance stuff on places like elance and odesk?

when applying for jobs, don't just fire off work and wait. Research the companies you're applying for, decide if that's somewhere you really want to be, and write a personal cover letter. You're not looking to get a foot in the door, you're looking for a career and somewhere you can call home etc. (I would hope at least)

we had a bunch of CVs from schools recently that basically opened with 'can I have a job to learn to get better to do what I really want', which means they go straight in the bin. An attractive hire is someone who's going to stick around and not leave when they become useful.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 25, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Maya question: I have some locators and a camera that I wish to import into After Effects. However the animation of the locators is sometimes controlled by a group null. I need to bake the animation of the locators but whenever I do, they default to world 0,0,0. Is there an easy way to bake the animation of something controlled by a parent? I'm not sure why this is so hard to do, but the only thing I can find online is some decade old scripts that don't work.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Try unparenting it from the hierarchy and parent constraining it instead, and then baking it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

About 3d printing things after designing them: Has anyone had any experience with doing this, or any tutorials to recommend?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What about it particularly? Depends on what you're using, but most places will provide basic guidelines to follow when you send them stuff. Things like hollowing out objects to keep costs down, material fragility and minimum thicknesses on parts, etc.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Oh no, we're considering buying a 3d printer for a long-term stopmotion/CGI project, probably the Makerbot Mini, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with doing it on a more personal scale. Shoulda claified that, sorry.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Don't forget the 3D printer thread in DIY: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ccs posted:

Try unparenting it from the hierarchy and parent constraining it instead, and then baking it.

Oh god thank you! Worked perfectly.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Is there an indie game pipeline for 3D unity games as well? I've been hankering to make a simple game that I can build on.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Diet Crack posted:

Is there an indie game pipeline for 3D unity games as well? I've been hankering to make a simple game that I can build on.

They do have a lesson where you build a maze in 3d, in unity, and yiu have to run through the maze, and some Indiana Jones style boulder chases you. It teaches the basics of level making, movement and triggers. Plus outside of the pipeline tutorials they have a bunch of more focused tutorials in unity.

I haven't done these lessons yet, so I can't recommend them, but on the whole digital tutors has a great teaching method and I'd recommend them to anyone trying to learn this stuff, as a first option if college isn't an option.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Who is going to siggraph?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

keyframe posted:

Who is going to siggraph?

Probably just gonna do the parties. Wont really have time for any of the talks..

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I've been fiddling with Blender a bit, and since people weren't coming out quite how I wanted them to look, I went for big robots for a muse instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGpHEuAhbc

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
I'm unwrapping a model in 3ds Max 2010 with the Unwrap UVW modifier. When I'm in face sub-object selection mode I can select faces in the UVW editor and they turn red as normal, but the model in my perspective view port doesn't become highlighted red as its supposed to. How to I switch it back to where selecting polygons in the UVW editor highlights faces in the perspective window as per default?

I know its a silly toggle or option because I can reset my scene and see highlights on both the UVW editor and perspective in a new scene.

I've already tried the hotkey F2 for Shade Selected Faces or whatever and it doesn't work.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Probably just gonna do the parties. Wont really have time for any of the talks..

Any word on who is throwing parties this year? I got a pass for the scanline one and trying to get one to sony/ilm if they are throwing parties.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Phraggah posted:

I've already tried the hotkey F2 for Shade Selected Faces or whatever and it doesn't work.

Maybe the key binding has somehow gone missing? Try going to customize UI and find the key and assign it to something else. Not sure what else the problem would be.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

keyframe posted:

Any word on who is throwing parties this year? I got a pass for the scanline one and trying to get one to sony/ilm if they are throwing parties.

I think they all are. Method, Image Engine, ILM, Scanline..haven't heard anything about DD or Sony, but as Sony will be going on a recruitment crunch, I can't imagine they wont.
I'm also superbusy that week with non-work stuff, so we'll see how many I actually get around to.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea haven't heard if DD is having one either but gonna ask friends there. You were at MPC right? Are they having one this year?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

By the way, how difficult is it for an American to get a job at a VFX or animation place in Canada? It seems like a lot of studios are moving there. I went to Sheridan so I've got a work permit for Canada until June 2015, but I'll probably want to stay longer than that. Are the studios willing to fill out paperwork to hire someone from south of the border if they don't have years of industry experience yet?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ccs posted:

By the way, how difficult is it for an American to get a job at a VFX or animation place in Canada? It seems like a lot of studios are moving there. I went to Sheridan so I've got a work permit for Canada until June 2015, but I'll probably want to stay longer than that. Are the studios willing to fill out paperwork to hire someone from south of the border if they don't have years of industry experience yet?

You already got your foot in the door with your existing work permit make sure you mention that in your resume/cover letter. June 2015 will be long enough to get on a summer 2015 show which would be hiring now and wrap in spring 2015. After that it depends if you can get summer work and have the file for whatever the Canadian immigration change of status equivalent is.

Normally it depends on your experience level. Most of my friends with 5-10 years experience usually has no problems getting work in Vancouver.. Nafta visa is the usual way.

You are right out of school immigration may reject you out of protectionism depending on country.

That being said it'll be tough to say how long the party will last in Vancouver. All it takes is a budget to come down like in Quebec where handouts are cut, and you'll have studios getting cold feet and will want to move people elsewhere.

BC cannot support paying 60% of labor costs of VFX workers especially when you got Uk and US studios moving its people up en mass.

Just keep your suitcase packed,

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 2, 2014

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Recently students from my old Uni (University of Portsmouth) finished work on a trailer for an animated feature film that is being produced there alongside the students studies. The idea was to set up a faux-industry environment so that graduates would have some experience and portfolio work for when they leave.

I posted about the proof of concept test shot we produced a few years ago, since then we took feedback and put together a trailer that showcases some more environments and characters.

http://youtu.be/WdpDaFksb3I

This sequence was completed in just over a year by around 14 volunteers working alongside their degree courses.

We uses motion capture that is then brought into softimage and combined with hand animated hands and faces. We also use faceware to help with the facial animation. All the shots are rendered using Arnold.

I won't be at siggraph myself but if the director and vfx supervisor are going to be doing a talk in rooms 118-120 at 2 p.m. on Monday, August 11. A short clip will also be shown in the Dailies section at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, August 13.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Finally finished the ape skull. I began sculpting a living chimp on top of it earlier but it's still pretty blobby.

I also started up a new online portfolio and I was hoping some of you might have a look and tell me if it looks alright for a first year student. I'm moving into year 2 in September.
It's at http://www.labmonkey.co

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

Phraggah posted:

I'm unwrapping a model in 3ds Max 2010 with the Unwrap UVW modifier. When I'm in face sub-object selection mode I can select faces in the UVW editor and they turn red as normal, but the model in my perspective view port doesn't become highlighted red as its supposed to. How to I switch it back to where selecting polygons in the UVW editor highlights faces in the perspective window as per default?

I know its a silly toggle or option because I can reset my scene and see highlights on both the UVW editor and perspective in a new scene.

I get this a lot when I push the number hotkey for the sub-object selection mode I'm already in-- I think double-tapping the hotkey is supposed to toggle UV viewport stuff. Maybe you accidentally pushed 3 while selecting faces? It's pretty annoying because (at least in 2012) if you try to select something in the viewport like that it'll dump you out of the modifier.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

uglynoodles posted:

Finally finished the ape skull. I began sculpting a living chimp on top of it earlier but it's still pretty blobby.

I also started up a new online portfolio and I was hoping some of you might have a look and tell me if it looks alright for a first year student. I'm moving into year 2 in September.
It's at http://www.labmonkey.co

If you were to sculpt over a skull would you just clay buildup all the cavities that are filled with fat and skin?

Sweet skull btw.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Thanks!
I suppose you could do it that way, but I appended a new sphere overtop, Dynameshed it, and then turned on Ghosting/transparency so I could see the skull and jaws at all times as I was pushing the sphere around to fit. That way if I started to make judgments that were inaccurate about how short the muzzle should be, etc, then the bone would stick out right away and I'd know I'd hosed up.

Here he is right now. He's still a dynamesh and not too detailed as he's still just a torso right now, moving onto the calves and forearms.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

Are the studios willing to fill out paperwork to hire someone from south of the border if they don't have years of industry experience yet?

For entry level, not really, as the salary will probably fall below the lower limit for tech workers.

Big K of Justice posted:

That being said it'll be tough to say how long the party will last in Vancouver. All it takes is a budget to come down like in Quebec where handouts are cut, and you'll have studios getting cold feet and will want to move people elsewhere.

BC cannot support paying 60% of labor costs of VFX workers especially when you got Uk and US studios moving its people up en mass.

There's a 5 year notice clause on the VFX subsidies.

keyframe posted:

Yea haven't heard if DD is having one either but gonna ask friends there. You were at MPC right? Are they having one this year?

Used to..I'm at ILM now..but MPC are hosting a party.