Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BlackMK4 posted:

Only loving Ducati would attach the kick stand to the oil pan.

Crankcase. It's different / much worse.

Repair estimate: $6,800 :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, if they want to total it I'm looking for a Ducati to make into a trackfighter. :v: They aren't too bad to weld up.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

:staredog:

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Apparently this happens on BMWs sometimes. Hopefully it just tore when I unscrewed the cover but it felt more crumbly then pliable. Wix filter with about 7k on it, replaced it with a Mann filter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 22, 2014

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

I get that the truck driver probably can't see the van but you'd think he'd feel and hear it right?

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Bibendum posted:

Apparently this happens on BMWs sometimes. Hopefully it just tore when I unscrewed the cover but it felt more crumbly then pliable. Wix filter with about 7k on it, replaced it with a Mann filter.

If the filter media is crumbly, even if it did not have a tear in it, I would not expect it to be doing a very good job of capturing and retaining debris. This is one of the drawbacks/advantages of not using a spin on filter, you get to see all the filter elements that fail.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Huggable Bear King posted:

I get that the truck driver probably can't see the van but you'd think he'd feel and hear it right?

"Jeez, my fuel economy went to poo poo on that last tank. Wonder why?"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
On the plus side, that car has to be getting excellent mileage! Screw hypermiling!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Captain Bravo posted:

On the plus side, that car has to be getting excellent mileage! Screw hypermiling!

In a world where replacement tires are free, this is the new best way to get to work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Captain Bravo posted:

He is going sideways, does it count? The wheels aren't turning :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If they're not turning he's not increasing the odometer either, so the car preserves its resale value!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

That trucker is living the dream right there, deep down that is what I really want to do when some rear end in a top hat cuts me off. That is the happiest day of that trucker's life. Given that it's most likely :ussr: the authorities won't even consider revoking his license.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's :britain:

From the trucking thread:

quote:

Mar 18, 2010

Amazing footage of a truck careening at 60 mph along a British freeway with a car trapped sideways on its front bumper emerged Thursday, sparked an investigation.

Video shows a trucker thundering along the A1(M) major road in West Yorkshire, northern England, seemingly oblivious to the automobile trapped under its cab.

The large vehicle was filmed by another motorist for several seconds, with sparks flying from the blue Renault Clio trapped in front.

Haulage company Arclid Transport confirmed the video is not a hoax and that the lady driver in the Clio "got out and walked away." A spokesman said an investigation was launched into the accident and police were informed.

West Yorkshire Police said officers were aware of the video and would be working with the company to establish the exact circumstances.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

quote:

The large vehicle was filmed by another motorist for several seconds, with sparks flying from the blue Renault Clio trapped in front.

And nothing of value was lost. :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ok forget what I said about resale value.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reminds me of the jiffy pop airbag system.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's :britain:

From the trucking thread:

Picture of the driver:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Maybe this isn't the best place to ask this, but does anyone know what damage occurs when you transport an A/C sideways and run it a few hours after? Most importantly, how can I tell if the damage occured? (Background: Bought a mobile A/C, there was not even a THIS SIDE UP sticker on it, and I put it on it's side while unpacking as well.) I didn't read about the fact that you are supposed to leave them upgright for 24h until after I ran it for a while :/ (It also seems to not really blow cool air atm).
Shut it off for now.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

SEKCobra posted:

Maybe this isn't the best place to ask this, but does anyone know what damage occurs when you transport an A/C sideways and run it a few hours after? Most importantly, how can I tell if the damage occured? (Background: Bought a mobile A/C, there was not even a THIS SIDE UP sticker on it, and I put it on it's side while unpacking as well.) I didn't read about the fact that you are supposed to leave them upgright for 24h until after I ran it for a while :/ (It also seems to not really blow cool air atm).
Shut it off for now.

You can get a slug of liquid refrigerant going into the compressors intake which often kills it immediately and might make for a picture worthy of this thread.

Do you hear the compressor running?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

sirr0bin posted:

You can get a slug of liquid refrigerant going into the compressors intake which often kills it immediately and might make for a picture worthy of this thread.

Do you hear the compressor running?

I didn't pay close attention in the beginning, but at one point I think I heard it come on. I don't really feel safe turning it back on for a while now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F53zdTU850

:stonk:

Jesus christ that guy is lucky. Pretty sure he walked away.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

When I first saw this I laughed because I thought that was the lid of a rubbish bin.

Oh.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I first saw this I laughed because I thought that was the lid of a rubbish bin.

well. it is on a rubbish era of engine.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It is a trash can lid.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F53zdTU850

:stonk:

Jesus christ that guy is lucky. Pretty sure he walked away.

:staredog:

That's terrifying-I'm surprised that the driver still has feet. Seems really weird that the car didn't have a bellhousing blanket/shield given how thin that transmission tunnel sheet metal looks...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If they're not turning he's not increasing the odometer either, so the car preserves its resale value!

Back when I was younger and hybrids were brand new, I really wanted a Honda Insight (still do, they're :3: ) and posted on some Insight forums. One of them rapidly turned into a hypermiling forum. The post I remember most distinctly was one person saying he'd discovered an amazing new way to boost your mileage. See, it's normal for hypermilers to line up for a parking space and then shut off the engine and coast into it rather than driving in, so they can save that extra half-milliliter of gas. It's also normal for them to avoid using their brakes as much as possible, because that's wasted energy! This guy put the two together and suggested that you not only shut off your engine as you approach the parking space, but also shoot for the farthest one you can get to before the car stops, bleeding off your speed without using the brakes and adding a free eighty feet to the odometer!

I wonder how many times he ran out not-quite-into the space and had to get out and push (because, of course, starting the engine just to move a mere ten or fifteen feet is totally verboten)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also, :staredog: :staredog: why are there shredded holes in the metal on top of the dash?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Also, :staredog: :staredog: why are there shredded holes in the metal on top of the dash?

Exploding flexplates / flywheels / torque converters / clutches do not gently caress around. There's some serious loving energy right there and if you're running considerably more than stock power levels you should really consider a scattershield or blanket a good investment in having feet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Consider this.

A flexplate bolt a mere 15cm from crank centerline experiences nearly 100G acceleration... at 750rpm idle.

At 6k rpm, it's SIX THOUSAND Gs.

Say you have a flywheel that's got an outer diameter of 16 inches. The starter ring gear (which is really pretty thin and generally thermally shrink-fit or pressed onto the edge of the flywheel) experiences an acceleration of over 14000G at 8000rpm. 14000G means a 1 gram machine nut behaves like it weighs 14 tonnes.

Be careful with ANYTHING spinning. The G forces experienced are linear with respect to mass and radius, but square law with respect to rotational speed. poo poo gets serious in a hurry.

Because if something goes kablooey, everything suddenly wants to move in a straight line. And if there are ANY flaws in something that big spinning that fast, things go kablooey very, very suddenly and vigorously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

See also: youtube videos of people spinning CDs at higher and higher RPM until they explode.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Here's a fun one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7gKbk0jyyM

And another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK9TX82c2VI

That one was just the clutch, clutches are pretty light compared to flywheels and pressure plates.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 23, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I seem to recall someone going off-roading in the US, Moab, maybe? They were bimbling along in low second or first, and came to a nice, wide run down a slope, so just dipped the clutch and rolled down it, getting up to a reasonable speed and modulating with the footbrake.

The clutch disc, being attached to the input shaft of the gearbox and therby driven regardless of the pedal being dipped, did not like seeing what was later calculated as nearly 20,000rpm, and made its escape in exactly the way you would expect.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

InitialDave posted:

I seem to recall someone going off-roading in the US, Moab, maybe? They were bimbling along in low second or first, and came to a nice, wide run down a slope, so just dipped the clutch and rolled down it, getting up to a reasonable speed and modulating with the footbrake.

The clutch disc, being attached to the input shaft of the gearbox and therby driven regardless of the pedal being dipped, did not like seeing what was later calculated as nearly 20,000rpm, and made its escape in exactly the way you would expect.

Yeahhhh, I think I'll start putting my car in neutral when I decide to coast down a hill. (Never thought about this, honestly)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Yeahhhh, I think I'll start putting my car in neutral when I decide to coast down a hill. (Never thought about this, honestly)

So now your transmission detonates instead of just the clutch. :v:

I'd think leaving the car in gear would be the safest option because engine braking would limit how fast stuff can spin.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

InitialDave posted:

"...and that's why they call him Johnny Five Toes"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

xzzy posted:

I'd think leaving the car in gear would be the safest option because engine braking would limit how fast stuff can spin.

If you're in neutral, the only part of the transmission spinning would be the part designed to spin like that that's connected to the driveshafts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Don't coast down hills.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

In gear is the right answer.

In neutral with your foot off the clutch is also a fine answer - the output shaft will spin at the speed it normally would if you were traveling that fast under power. The input shaft and countershaft will spin at the speed your engine is spinning at.

I completely believe 20k rpm accidental clutch speed - figure even 3.55 gears and stock tires, you'll get around 20k rpm in first/lowrange at 45mph in an XJ with a manual if I'm doing my math right. I'd expect a clutch to explode at half that, honestly, and hitting 20mph rolling down a hill after stabbing the clutch isn't too surprising.

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

kastein posted:

In gear is the right answer.

In neutral with your foot off the clutch is also a fine answer - the output shaft will spin at the speed it normally would if you were traveling that fast under power. The input shaft and countershaft will spin at the speed your engine is spinning at.

I completely believe 20k rpm accidental clutch speed - figure even 3.55 gears and stock tires, you'll get around 20k rpm in first/lowrange at 45mph in an XJ with a manual if I'm doing my math right. I'd expect a clutch to explode at half that, honestly, and hitting 20mph rolling down a hill after stabbing the clutch isn't too surprising.

e: beaten

is this an american car thing ? As I used to regularly coast down hills in my '78 VW van (it's currently off the road for welding) and have done the same in pretty much 20+ other cars over the last 20 years I've had a licence, all with no exploding anything.