Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Copied from the MTG Eternal thread, guess what the winner and semifinalist affinity decks at PTQ Nagoya ran?
http://74598.diarynote.jp/

*** WINNER ***
3《アーティファクトの魂込め/Ensoul Artifact》

* semi-finalist *
4《アーティファクトの魂込め/Ensoul Artifact》

Mortimer posted:

Just for you I'm going to run a copy or two and top 8 with my t1 5/5 ensouled thopter.

Yes I get that it doesn't seem good, but modern affinity is cargo cult deckbuilding at this point.
This thread is bad at card evaluation.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

As someone who drafted Theros block a lot, I have to say I enjoyed 3X Theros as a whole - even if it had its issues of heroic decks being format warping (in that I was picking Voyage's End over near enough any other removal just to be able to disrupt heroic and bestow strategies) and board stalls happened a touch too frequently. The format was really satisfying to me and a lot of people I know who drafted decks that would hold up during combat phases, and pick out the right cards to win or trade in combat (the double target tricks, Agent of Horizons, deathtouch guys, etc.) and it disappoints me a little that the majority of people who talk about Theros now just talk about Wingsteed Rider or Gary - combat was really fun in Theros limited, and it's what I'll think of when it's brought up in the future. It's a shame there wasn't any kind of card in the set that was a genuine build-around kind of card - I think the closest thing we had was the Flamespeaker Adept deck, which wasn't really a deck.

Born of the Gods was unfortunate in that it didn't really add anything interesting to the set, it added a few too many stupid bomb-y cards and it only increased the number of times you were ran over by heroic decks or went to time in ridiculous board stalls. If someone resolves another Ornithark against me again I think I'll kill myself. I'll admit that red was really sweet in Born, though.

Journey Into Nyx helped to fix a lot of the issues I had in the previous sets - it watered down a lot of the heroic nonsense and introduced enough cheap semi-conditional removal that you could run most of it in a deck to control the state of the board to some extent, and this is without feeling like you were drafing five doom blades or whatever. There were even a bunch of build-around me cards at rare and uncommon rarity, so you could experiment with the set once you had gotten your fill. Riptide Chimera, :getin:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've been having a ton of fun drafting Theros block, to the point that I sold my VMA packs online to draft more of it.

I'm just getting into limited though after playing Magic casually for a super long time, so maybe it's fine for a "babby's first draft" or something? I was in a decently sized store when RTR launched and I tried to draft that with horrible, horrible results.

Looking forward to some M15 when that's available to draft online (LGS doesn't do draft, only sealed).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

LGD posted:

I too hate it when people play filthy non-tribal creatures in my eternal formats. :rolleyes: Also most Delver decks aren't "3-color goodstuff" in the way that label is usually meant. They're 3-colors and have good cards(!), but they're all an outgrowth of a very old and very focused Legacy decktype. RUG Delver (Tempo Threshold) is trying to do something very specific to win, and it isn't just slamming the best on-color cards into a deck at random. BUG and UWR Delver can tend a little more to the "goodstuff" side of things, but ultimately are (or were) attempts to fix perceived problems with tempo thresh (like losing to counterbalance and often only having awkward answers to the resolved creatures of other tempo lists). An actual "goodstuff" list in Legacy is something like Jund or Esper Deathblade.

Which, while they have had some definite success, you will note have not exactly been setting the format on fire with their unprecedented dominance.

I feel like the "goodstuff" decks aren't even that strong in Legacy either. "Goodstuff" is a strat that gets weaker and weaker the larger the card pool becomes because decks with actual strategies also start getting their own stuff that is about as good as yours and also fits their plan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

odiv posted:

I've been having a ton of fun drafting Theros block, to the point that I sold my VMA packs online to draft more of it.

I'm just getting into limited though after playing Magic casually for a super long time, so maybe it's fine for a "babby's first draft" or something? I was in a decently sized store when RTR launched and I tried to draft that with horrible, horrible results.

Looking forward to some M15 when that's available to draft online (LGS doesn't do draft, only sealed).

It helps that MTGO Theros block drafts are under 10 bucks now.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Copied from the MTG Eternal thread, guess what the winner and semifinalist affinity decks at PTQ Nagoya ran?
http://74598.diarynote.jp/

*** WINNER ***
3《アーティファクトの魂込め/Ensoul Artifact》

* semi-finalist *
4《アーティファクトの魂込め/Ensoul Artifact》

:getin:

gently caress there goes getting the rest of my affinity running for cheap.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's a single PTQ result I wouldn't rush to draw any conclusions yet. We don't even know if Ensoul/Goyff were any good, for all we know it was a test, the pilots didn't even like it much but Affinity was very good that weekend regardless.

Hammer of Purphoros ended up in a few high placing lists early in last rotation and people where quick to smugly post about how wrong others had been, but the Hammer wasn't great and pretty much immediately disappeared from high placing lists.

Random stuff wins now and again, Jace's Phantasm was once in a mono blue SCG Legacy Open Top 8 deck. Lots has been said about Ensoul Artifact's downsides and I imagine its going to take more than a single PTQ from the famously odd Japanese meta before the card makes itself a permanent part of the Affinity deck list. The same applies to inclusion of Goyff.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 22, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What always bothered me about Tribute is that a creature with Tribute is obviously weaker than a creature with just one of its two modes, since your opponent to gets to choose the mode. So you'd think that they'd make each mode above the curve to compensate, right? But instead they printed things that are still only 4/4 Flying for 5 even if Tribute is paid, in colors that regularly get 4/4 Flying for 5 anyhow. (And that wasn't even at common!) Did a green 4/4 that gains you 4 life really need an extra downside that lets your opponent cancel the lifegain if they're about to burn you to death?

Then you had some cool stuff like the phoenix which was a 4 mana 5/5 flyer in a color that generally doesn't get nice things, or a 4 mana 3/3 flyer with haste and an easy recursion. Or the NESSIAN WILDS RAVAGER!!! (Not actually that exciting) which kills basically anything in limited if it doesn't get paid, and if it does get paid then it is a 6 mana 12/12, which is great. Oracle of bones was great as a 5/3 with haste, and with some good instants/ sorceries, you could scare your opponent into letting it happen in games 2 or 3. Then there are the fanatic of xenagos or the thunder brute, two efficiently beefy creatures with trample, who also sometimes got haste.

But yeah, the Esper tribute creatures were all pretty disappointing.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Theros wasn't a catastrophe, I don't think - it was just a boring, unambitious block that encouraged boring, unambitious Constructed play. Its most powerful card was a reprint, and a reprint of a card that's hostile to high-synergy decks. Most of its creative design energy was poured into cards they were afraid to push, or overestimated the power of.

To be fair to wizards, thoughtseize had to get reprinted SOMEtime or else it would keep rising in price on and on and on, becoming as huge a barrier to modern as goyf and fetches currently are.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CountFosco posted:

To be fair to wizards, thoughtseize had to get reprinted SOMEtime or else it would keep rising in price on and on and on, becoming as huge a barrier to modern as goyf and fetches currently are.

Any educated guesses on what Thoughtseize's price would be right now if it wasn't reprinted (assuming the same Modern spike timeline)?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Any educated guesses on what Thoughtseize's price would be right now if it wasn't reprinted (assuming the same Modern spike timeline)?

$80-100 at least.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

What was up with inspired, anyway? It wasn't pushed, it wasn't mechanically linked to enchantments, it didn't serve the "mana sink" goal like other mechanics did (like strive and monstrous), and the mechanical connection to Nyx is super tenuous.

Seriously, why did it exist?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Boxman posted:

What was up with inspired, anyway? It wasn't pushed, it wasn't mechanically linked to enchantments, it didn't serve the "mana sink" goal like other mechanics did (like strive and monstrous), and the mechanical connection to Nyx is super tenuous.

I thought it was a weird mechanical flavor, like your cards are "bowing down" to the gods when they tap :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How much would you expect Onslaught booster packs to drop if the fetch lands got reprinted?

(Short of inheriting a massive fortune out of nowhere I'm not buying an Onslaught booster box, guys don't worry).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Meanwhile, Noble Hierarch's price continues to spiral out of control, and I sit in a corner weeping gently.

Boxman posted:

I think the flavor justification is somewhat like the Ordeals - when a mortal on Theros does something kickass (like attack a demigod-like wizard dude/dudette, play a Springleaf Drum, etc), the gods bless them with divine inspiration so they can continue doing kickass things.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 22, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ungulateman posted:

Meanwhile, Noble Hierarch's price continues to spiral out of control, and I sit in a corner weeping gently.

There is no way that doesn't get reprinted.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Boxman posted:

For a mechanic called "inspired," it wasn't very inspired. None of the effects were interesting from a mechanical standpoint, it was just some kind of good thing you want, but cumbersome to activate.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Boxman posted:

It was meant to be a dreaming mechanic.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

For a mechanic called "inspired," it wasn't very inspired. None of the effects were interesting from a mechanical standpoint, it was just some kind of good thing you want, but cumbersome to activate.

I don't know. I really liked Arbiter of the Ideal. Decent body and free permanents? Yes, please! I think it would've been perfect as a 5 drop 3/5 like Prognostic Sphinx (which I hope sees play post-rotation).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

mcmagic posted:

There is no way that doesn't get reprinted.

They won't reprint Hierarch except in another set that revsits Exalted. Granted they did that in the base set once already, so it's not out of the question.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gynovore posted:

They won't reprint Hierarch except in another set that revsits Exalted. Granted they did that in the base set once already, so it's not out of the question.

Nah, I would bet a lot that it's in MM2, though not sure how much that would help on the price.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Or just any random supplemental product.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Gynovore posted:

I'm still a bit stunned that they didn't re-print the flagship and most Modern-played Exalted card in a set that brought back Exalted, but I guess they wanted to make it a white/black mechanic for some reason. Anyways, it has to be on the short list for Modern Masters 2 since we lost Deathrite.

I think the more interesting reprint question is what cards from MM1 are going to be put back in MM2. They've got a lot more ground to cover in terms of increasing card availability, so are they going to bother using up mythic slots on more Goyfs, Cliques and Bobs?

Edit: On second thought, Noble Hierarch is perfect for a Commander supplement if the next batch includes shard-based decks.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Nah, I would bet a lot that it's in MM2, though not sure how much that would help on the price.

After seeing the effect MM1 had on chase rare prices (stayed roughly the same or went up in some cases), hopefully they won't be as gun-shy with the print run when MM2 rolls around.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Kibler streaming MTGO right now and his frustrations with V4 just make me never, ever want to get into MTGO.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
I loved drafting theros and making big blue creature decks with all the Benthic giants people would pass.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Kibler streaming MTGO right now and his frustrations with V4 just make me never, ever want to get into MTGO.

Most of those frustrations are things you've never know about if you didn't play V3.

Watching Kibler, he's just being a huge baby too - the opponent conceded a match and he started whining that he couldn't get to the next screen despite all the dudes on the side telling him to close the window like a normal person. He's also complaining that the rooms aren't full when he wants to play, which isn't, you know, directly a problem with the client.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 22, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm still a bit stunned that they didn't re-print the flagship and most Modern-played Exalted card in a set that brought back Exalted, but I guess they wanted to make it a white/black mechanic for some reason. Anyways, it has to be on the short list for Modern Masters 2 since we lost Deathrite.

I think the more interesting reprint question is what cards from MM1 are going to be put back in MM2. They've got a lot more ground to cover in terms of increasing card availability, so are they going to bother using up mythic slots on more Goyfs, Cliques and Bobs?

Edit: On second thought, Noble Hierarch is perfect for a Commander supplement if the next batch includes shard-based decks.

I assume they will go again with goyf bob and clique, cryptic. if they want to reprint mox opal we can probably expect some artifact theme, probably esper shard related from conflux, more so than mirrodin based like MMA. I'd guess something like the praetor cycle where they had the kamigawa dragon cycle, fetches some other uncommon land cycle for color fixing. probably as far as planeswalkers, ajani vengeant, lotv? although if they tried to put her in m15 maybe not. MMA2 assuming it is a summer 2015 product has to be in development now, although it may be early on. Maybe they will throw her in, because they probably knew 6 months ago she wasn't going in m15. karn will probably be in also.

I think that its a real good thing the meta is relatively stable, they can get a really good idea of what they need to print. I expect MMA2 to be better in terms of hitting all the value cards to bring them down, plus more product. I hope they realize that everytime they print pricey modern staples, they increase demand because people then go out and build decks.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What if Tarkir block is only 2 sets so they can dedicate a whole summer to MMA2 (called something else) instead of as a supplemental product? :allears: One can dream

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mortimer posted:

What if Tarkir block is only 2 sets so they can dedicate a whole summer to MMA2 (called something else) instead of as a supplemental product? :allears: One can dream

And what if Tarkir has Tarmogoyf printed at uncommon?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Assuming they stick with the same mythic pattern (one 5-colour mythic cycle, one other mythic of each colour, and five artifact/multicoloured), they definitely don't have to reprint any of the ones from MM1.

Cycles: either the Titans or the New Phyrexia praetors
White: Baneslayer Angel, Iona, Linvala
Blue: Consecrated Sphinx, Jace Beleren, Tezzeret, Venser
Black: Geth, Griselbrand, Ink-Eyes, Liliana of the Veil, Massacre Wurm, Phyrexian Obliterator
Red: Hero of Oxid Ridge, Koth of the Hammer, Past in Flames, Thundermaw Hellkite
Green: Craterhoof Behemoth, Lotus Cobra, Thrun, Vengevine
Other: Mox Opal, Sword of Feast and Famine, Sword of War and Peace, Ajani Vengeant, Karn Liberated

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

qbert posted:

He is such a whiny pussy about it, too. It reminds me of when Michael Jacobs switched over when the client first was released and spent more time bitching about it then playing Magic itself.

People just need to suck it up and get used to it - the new client isn't THAT terrible, especially with where it was a few months ago.

Disclaimer: I play MODO about 3-4 times a week. I spend a ton of money on drafts and tickets and generally enjoy the convenience of playing magic in my underpants.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Gyshall posted:

He is such a whiny pussy about it, too. It reminds me of when Michael Jacobs switched over when the client first was released and spent more time bitching about it then playing Magic itself.

People just need to suck it up and get used to it - the new client isn't THAT terrible, especially with where it was a few months ago.

Disclaimer: I play MODO about 3-4 times a week. I spend a ton of money on drafts and tickets and generally enjoy the convenience of playing magic in my underpants.

Funny enough, since I came back to magic I've been using the beta client. I have a pretty decent pc, so I haven't had issues with it, until release. I logged on last night and I lost connection 5 times. It was the worst experience I've had with it. I don't play modo a ton, but anecdotally I haven't had a problem until it released.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Assuming they stick with the same mythic pattern (one 5-colour mythic cycle, one other mythic of each colour, and five artifact/multicoloured), they definitely don't have to reprint any of the ones from MM1.

Cycles: either the Titans or the New Phyrexia praetors
White: Baneslayer Angel, Iona, Linvala
Blue: Consecrated Sphinx, Jace Beleren, Tezzeret, Venser
Black: Geth, Griselbrand, Ink-Eyes, Liliana of the Veil, Massacre Wurm, Phyrexian Obliterator
Red: Hero of Oxid Ridge, Koth of the Hammer, Past in Flames, Thundermaw Hellkite
Green: Craterhoof Behemoth, Lotus Cobra, Thrun, Vengevine
Other: Mox Opal, Sword of Feast and Famine, Sword of War and Peace, Ajani Vengeant, Karn Liberated

Fulminator mage needs a reprint.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see snapcaster in mm2

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I always thought the flavor was inspired was something like:

Tapped creature = sleeping. Nyxborn is the land of dreams and come to mortals in their sleep, then they untap INSPIRED by the gods ready to kick rear end and take names. Some of the inspired cards looked good to me in the spoiler (forlorn psuedamma, sphinx's discple, phres band tromper/raiders) but they never played nearly as well as they looked.

Yea it's kind of a dumb mechanic and flavor, but not as bad as tribute which was worse in game play and flavor.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

And what if Tarkir has Tarmogoyf printed at uncommon?

Eh, kinda low rarity. Lhurgoyfs are a complicated effect that can quickly spiral out of control and require both players to keep track of information not easily tracked.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Boxman posted:

Mechanically the intent was that you use auras and other Heroic-enabling spells to either make them strong enough to survive attacking or give them [tap]: abilities. But they mostly gave them boring effects and weak bodies, so it wasn't worth it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gynovore posted:

I remember people thought it would be the card to replace Birds of Paradise in that next core set since Exalted was coming back, but instead Birds was replaced with, well, nothing.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
It's a shame, Inspired could've made a much better Heroic-flavored ability than Heroic.

'Surviving despite being a puny little dork and pulling off an awesome ability' vs 'Have buffs cast on you'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Here's how they solve the modern pricing problem:

Announcing Duel Decks: Love vs. Money

As the merchants of Ravnica grow ever richer, unrest grows amongst the teeming masses of the underclass. Although draped in opulence and power, the wealthy have become complacent in their position, failing to prepare for the coming uprising. Pulled together by their collective suffering, the poor gather arms in the hope that their combined efforts can topple the oligarchy and put a Moa in the pot of every Ravnican. Who will prevail, the haves or the have-nots?

Deck: Money

//Lands
3 Arid Mesa
1 Blood Crypt
1 Breeding Pool
1 Godless Shrine
3 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Horizon Canopy
3 Marsh Flats
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Scalding Tarn
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Temple Garden
3 Verdant Catacombs
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
4 Cryptic Command
3 Karn Liberated
3 Liliana of the Veil

//Creatures
4 Dark Confidant
3 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Vendilion Clique

//Sideboard
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
3 Sword of Fire and Ice
3 Sword of Light and Shadow
3 Damnation
3 Mox Opal

Display deck statistics

Deck: Love

//Main
4 Grizzly Bears
4 Runeclaw Bear
4 Cylian Elf
4 Glory Seeker
4 Gutter Skulk
4 Silvercoat Lion
4 Traveling Philosopher
4 Walking Corpse
4 Muraganda Petroglyphs
10 Forest
6 Plains
4 Swamp
4 Evolving Wilds

Display deck statistics

This release is sure to please Magic: The Gathering fans from all walks of life. The Love deck features all new art from beloved artists spanning Magic's history while the Money deck features our new and exciting artless frames.

• Locked thread