Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp
Matt

My advice for the website would be add a feature where I can give you money to take ads off. I'm sure there's some browser app I can get to not have them but I wanna give you money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Am the only person that agrees with Pat? Gaming press is bullshit.

"Whoa we got to see almost an hour of The Witcher 3, it was neat I guess"

Or

"We went to a developer and saw a game that we signed NDAs for and we can't tell you poo poo about it"

What the gently caress are they doing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's part of the reason gaming news sites are dying in a huge way while places such as Giant Bomb and hopefully the SBF site who focus half on personality and half on possible news(or almost entirely on personality really) and info are prospering. You can see this realization happening almost in real time with GameSpot, who have became kinda like DannyODwyerSpot.com because he's one of the only people on staff with more on-camera charisma than a plank of wood and thus creates the most popular site content and has seemingly become a figurehead for what they want to do in the future.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea basically we've hit a point where, since we no longer rely on magazines and junk, the information that exists is so easily accessed, the big 'news names' are realizing 'oh, poo poo, we need to have actual personalities and poo poo' because why would I listen to a generic 'Witcher 3? Looks pretty cool, you see that griffon thing at E3? Yea, cool, huh?' thing I can hear in piles of other sources unless I liked the person saying it?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea basically we've hit a point where, since we no longer rely on magazines and junk, the information that exists is so easily accessed, the big 'news names' are realizing 'oh, poo poo, we need to have actual personalities and poo poo' because why would I listen to a generic 'Witcher 3? Looks pretty cool, you see that griffon thing at E3? Yea, cool, huh?' thing I can hear in piles of other sources unless I liked the person saying it?

It's that or do actual journalism.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Well that's never going to happen because everyone in the industry is in bed with everyone else. Even Giant Bomb only criticizes devs and publishers when they REALLY publicly gently caress up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Giant Bomb is not big enough to be able to burn bridges willy-nilly yet, unfortunately.

At the rate they're growing though, that might change!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Giant Bomb is not big enough to be able to burn bridges willy-nilly yet, unfortunately.

At the rate they're growing though, that might change!

I feel like Jeff might have burnt the entire EA Board of Directors in effigy after SimCity though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Everyone did that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Does anyone know what the song at the end of the podcast was? It was amazing!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

What 'actual journalism' is there, though? Like sure you can talk about poo poo like if a company treats its employees bad or whatever but it's not like there's some Deep Throat for video games.

Like, one of the reasons I love the Comedy Button guys is they laugh about how when they used to work as game 'journalists' and poo poo and people were all 'you should do REAL journalism', and the only answer they could think of is 'what the gently caress do you want from us?' Like, what stories are there to break that aren't already covered under reviews or human interest things?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Reviews that aren't bought and paid for before the games come out would be nice. It's loving ridiculous how games journalism and reviews are basically entirely made up of shills as a commercial industry.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Reviews that aren't bought and paid for before the games come out would be nice. It's loving ridiculous how games journalism and reviews are basically entirely made up of shills as a commercial industry.

lol it's 2014 are you serious

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol if you read reviews.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

cmykjester posted:

Lol if you read reviews.

Review are still part of your industry. Just because you don't read them doesn't mean they aren't important.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

cmykjester posted:

Lol if you read reviews.

Lol if you like to find out what a video game is potentially like before you buy it instead of just blindly grabbing it and hoping for the best. :confused:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sure but why would you read traditional reviews for that? What you want for info on the game is straight up chunks of gameplay footage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I guess the keyword is "read" here. Footage doesn't show off what the game is actually like to play unless it's commentated on by the person playing, which is why I like sites like Giant Bomb et cetera. If a game feels lovely to play, you will hear about it from the person who is doing the playing.

A lot of the time reviews are full of people trying desperately not to insult the video game like they're gonna hurt its feelings and personally I think the concept of "video games journalism LOL" would disappear if people were more harsh towards lovely video games/video game practices.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I guess the keyword is "read" here. Footage doesn't show off what the game is actually like to play unless it's commentated on by the person playing, which is why I like sites like Giant Bomb et cetera. If a game feels lovely to play, you will hear about it from the person who is doing the playing.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Would this be a moment to mention The Wolf Among Us Finale is up on the site?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be honest nowadays I mostly go by word of mouth because I rarely read reviews and I almost never buy games as soon as they come out (with exceptions like dark souls 2 and witcher 3 soon)

Usually if people are still talking about a game 3-4 months after release it's probably pretty decent.

To each their own though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What 'actual journalism' is there, though? Like sure you can talk about poo poo like if a company treats its employees bad or whatever but it's not like there's some Deep Throat for video games.

All journalism is not investigative journalism. Rock Paper Shotgun is a good example of authentic journalism about games.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp
edit: I like super best friends

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

roach cum puddle posted:

edit: I like super best friends

I enjoy the Super Blurst Friends as well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Sure but why would you read traditional reviews for that? What you want for info on the game is straight up chunks of gameplay footage.

This is why I adore GameTrailers' reviews so much. Their score at the end is meaningless but 90% of their videos are gameplay and in perfect bite sized chunks that I won't get bored of if I want just a taste of what a game is like.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

All journalism is not investigative journalism. Rock Paper Shotgun is a good example of authentic journalism about games.

So basically stories most people are doing, reviews, a few 'hey check this small dev out', a lot of opinion pieces, and the occasional "HERE'S HOW GAMES ARE SUPES BIGOTED NOW" headline to get easy controversy with the manchildren.

HIGH QUALITY JOURNALISM.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ok I have to ask. What the gently caress is this paul marketing they keep talking about on the podcast? Are they talking about PAL cause I thought that was just a tv thing.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It's a general name for "marketing scumbag" like "Jimmy Amazon" was for anonymous package senders on the mailbag videos.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Ok I have to ask. What the gently caress is this paul marketing they keep talking about on the podcast? Are they talking about PAL cause I thought that was just a tv thing.

Generic 'we don't have a name for/can't say the name of this marketing guy' name. Paul Marketing works with Jimmy Amazon I assume.

edit: beaten, that's what I get for not hitting send before getting dinner.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So basically stories most people are doing, reviews, a few 'hey check this small dev out', a lot of opinion pieces, and the occasional "HERE'S HOW GAMES ARE SUPES BIGOTED NOW" headline to get easy controversy with the manchildren.

HIGH QUALITY JOURNALISM.

You know what would be nice? If people stopped saying that every article about social issues in nerd hobbies is just clickbait. Maybe that way people will be original when they're being casually dismissive of major flaws in geek culture.

Anyway, on a subject that won't cause a stupid internet slapfight, it's good to hear that ConBravo was nuts in a good way and not in a "Pat snapped and punched a fan" way. I hope someone somewhere uploads the panels soon, because they sound like one hell of a time.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

watho posted:

Does anyone know what the song at the end of the podcast was? It was amazing!

More Important than Michael Jackson by Pretty Lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTG7TPlvpMI

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's a lot of bike thiefs in Canada, apparently.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
C'mon, Matt, Sabertooth is 6'6", Wolverine is 5'3" - which is Pat-height which is my height. Movie Wolverine is Sabertooth-sized, which I hate. We had one hero and you took him away from us. :smith:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

You know what would be nice? If people stopped saying that every article about social issues in nerd hobbies is just clickbait. Maybe that way people will be original when they're being casually dismissive of major flaws in geek culture.

Your horrible hyperbole aside, maybe some people who hop online to read crap about video games aren't at the same time interested in reading about social stuff? Or at all? Doesn't make them bad people, it makes them people that are not interested in that stuff/don't like being preached at about politics every where they go.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Your horrible hyperbole aside, maybe some people who hop online to read crap about video games aren't at the same time interested in reading about social stuff? Or at all? Doesn't make them bad people, it makes them people that are not interested in that stuff/don't like being preached at about politics every where they go.

You also don't have to read John Walker's articles, since he's pretty much the only RPS writer that really invests on moral outrage, not that it's his only schtick. I don't read any articles on MOBA games, but it doesn't mean those articles shouldn't exist, are poorly written, or don't qualify as "journalism" because I don't care to read them.

I don't want to go on and on and on about what "journalism" really means and what qualifies it, but I think we can agree that there's a difference between cynical clickbait articles and genuine, if overbearing, moralizing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

You also don't have to read John Walker's articles, since he's pretty much the only RPS writer that really invests on moral outrage, not that it's his only schtick. I don't read any articles on MOBA games, but it doesn't mean those articles shouldn't exist, are poorly written, or don't qualify as "journalism" because I don't care to read them.

I don't want to go on and on and on about what "journalism" really means and what qualifies it, but I think we can agree that there's a difference between cynical clickbait articles and genuine, if overbearing, moralizing.

I was more talking about him doing stupid poo poo like going to a Heroes of the Storm event that was super clearly just a generic 'yep we're doing a MOBA' announcement and asking the random jackoff that was in charge of saying 'check these screenshots out, cool huh' about the sniper chick from Star Craft having too tight an outfit and when they went 'uh ok' turned it into a big thing. Like, you can actually do lovely clickbait articles about social issues, it happens.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I was more talking about him doing stupid poo poo like going to a Heroes of the Storm event that was super clearly just a generic 'yep we're doing a MOBA' announcement and asking the random jackoff that was in charge of saying 'check these screenshots out, cool huh' about the sniper chick from Star Craft having too tight an outfit and when they went 'uh ok' turned it into a big thing. Like, you can actually do lovely clickbait articles about social issues, it happens.

You're still writing off a tactless question about an actual problem in geek culture as clickbait, which makes it impossible to have an actual conversation about the problem because half of the population just shoves people bringing it up into the clickbait pile and ignoring it, which is goddamn infuriating.

Anyway, since I'm mad enough about this to call you out over it but not mad enough about to have an extended argument about it in the Super Best Friends Play thread of all places, let's all just shut up and watch Matt, Woolie and Liam play as everyone's favorite Marvel vampire hunter.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Matt I don't know how popular this idea will be so I'm just speaking for myself here.

I'd be hyped if you and the Best Friends would create a premium section of the site so for example we could get an extra podcast a week, extra videos (I actually don't have any ideas for premium content, the main thing I would want is 2 podcasts a week) for some monthly/annual fee.

Maybe you could just do this for the podcast since a lot of podcasts use this model, releasing a free show in addition to premium shows. I would definitely subscribe since I'm typically a tiny bit disappointed when the friendcast isn't at least 3 hours so I'd pay for more show in a heartbeat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would rather see them start streaming before anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Yeah if you guys offered a subscription model similar to Giant Bomb's I would definitely pony up for it. Do some kind of subscriber-only streams, remove ads for subscribers, maybe release videos a day early or something?