Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

dennyk posted:

Corporate rule number one: if a "cost" doesn't show up directly on a budget report or a balance sheet, it doesn't exist. Thus any time spent by existing FLSA-exempt staff on anything whatsoever is always free.

Also see Rule 1A: If a "cost" does show up somewhere, but can't be identified and traced back to you, then it also doesn't exist (so feel free to go ahead and keep printing all of your emails in triplicate. :toot: )

There's a mythical thing called "Net Operating Income" that everyone in my office knows. None of them even have the basic understanding of accounting, but they are masters of knowing what net operating income is. As long as that line is green (higher than budget), everything is running fine. If it's not, it's then time to move that expense and label it as an "extraordinary expense". Extraordinary expense meaning anything that makes net operating income lower than budgeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Sundae posted:

the company HQ tried to make me wait net-90 or accept only partial reimbursement

:stare:

Every time you post things, it makes me wonder whether the people running your industry are actively trying to be comic book villains.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So at the department meeting they announced were hiring 30 new people! Of course this is only because other groups told the department head that they have to pick and choose which projects get done. My group has had to do this for two years and were probably not getting a single person because my boss refuses to admit to his boss there is a problem. Hurrah for having the difficulty of my job tied to my bosses ego!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
There was a major outage declared on Friday regarding one of my daily tasks.

Without going into specifics, the short version of it is that a small project went under way to add redundancy to one of our systems. It went through all the executive approvals that it needed, was rolled out successfully, and somehow nobody ever thought to notify me or my department. Therefore, I had no idea that I had to perform this task on the redundant equipment as well because I didn't even know it existed. Everyone literally forgot that I had a role in this system because they all filter my e-mails regarding it directly into the trash.

And after that outage, I still haven't been notified through official channels, nor has the SOP been changed, to reflect what I must do differently. My requests to update the SOP have, of course, been ignored.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

You solved the problem? There is no problem! Do it again tomorrow or be known as the guy who causes problems.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
One time I found out I was the accountant for a property 3 months after we took it over. I only found out because because a vendor called saying he hadn't been paid in 3 months.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I use to abuse the poo poo out of companies flying people in for interviews all the same. I had a long-distance GF who lived in a major boom town so I would apply for jobs there, spend time with her and fly back home (where I had a good job till the company went tits up). I did move there to go work for the company my father use to be President of, good times.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

:stare:

Every time you post things, it makes me wonder whether the people running your industry are actively trying to be comic book villains.

This is what happens when you let procedures dictate everything, but don't bother aligning your SOPs.

One SOP called interview candidates external business entities. Another defines EBEs as contractors. Then the payment terms state Net-90 for contractor payments.

Therefore, net-90 to get my loving airfare reimbursed. :haw:

Some of their poo poo is comically evil (see: changes to travel policy to call any business travel "commute" if travel is in your job description), but I think this one was just pure SOP incompatibility making GBS threads up the process.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Xandu posted:

"Do you want to send the email or should I?"

I do not understand how this comes up as often as it does.

I run into this one sometimes, even guilty of doing it to other folks.

Basically it's polite speak for "This is your loving job and you should be handling this, but if you're not going to handle this I guess I will" with a heavy undercurrent of "If you make me handle this you are going to pay"

I use it when people are ducking things they should be doing.

Shear Modulus posted:

I didn't get the job but kept emailing my contact at the company about how to give them their 25 bucks back, and eventually he was like "eh it'd be too much trouble don't worry about it." It was pretty weird.

It would be too much trouble, if we wanted to deal with something like that it would probably take a few thousand dollars worth of manpower to deal with. It's just not worth it over 25 bucks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skipdogg posted:

Basically it's polite speak for "This is your loving job and you should be handling this, but if you're not going to handle this I guess I will" with a heavy undercurrent of "If you make me handle this you are going to pay"

Usually I'll say something along the lines of "Cool I'll just take the credit for your work then"

Then I send the meaningless e-mail and take meaningless credit for their meaningless work.

(This happens way too often but I really don't mind it)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Renegret posted:

Usually I'll say something along the lines of "Cool I'll just take the credit for your work then"

Then I send the meaningless e-mail and take meaningless credit for their meaningless work.

(This happens way too often but I really don't mind it)

When this has happened for me, it generally meant "OK, we just had a meeting where we agreed to something and now we should share that thing. One of us should send an email about it, but it doesn't really matter who. Would you mind doing it?"

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Curse all of you and your reasonable job environments. :colbert:

It really says something that the most reasonable person I've spoken to so far today was a loving FDA inspector.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

skipdogg posted:

I run into this one sometimes, even guilty of doing it to other folks.

I use it when people are ducking things they should be doing.
How about "Could you send this by 4 and CC me on it?"

You've sidestepped the part where you argue who does what!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Golden Bee posted:

How about "Could you send this by 4 and CC me on it?"

You've sidestepped the part where you argue who does what!

Can you believe Golden Bee? In the time it would have taken to send the email, they emailed me to send it. Not exactly a team player.. :rolleyes:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There's an endless array of stupid bullshit where I'm at given the gigantic size, but I'm really lucky to be in what's essentially a walled off start up that gets to play by its own rules. I'm sure eventually we'll scale and be destroyed and absorbed by the borg, but for now it's fun. There is a heavy cost for all of it though that our senior managers have to spend almost all of their time dealing with this bullshit so everyone else can actually get work done.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Sundae posted:

Yeah, but this could be every single one of your posts in this thread

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ladyweapon posted:

Can you believe Golden Bee? In the time it would have taken to send the email, they emailed me to send it. Not exactly a team player.. :rolleyes:

It's in quotes, so obviously I would've called to say it.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Golden Bee posted:

It's in quotes, so obviously I would've called to say it.
Then sent an email to confirm the call.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

kissekatt posted:

Then sent an email to confirm the call.

Don't forget to call to make sure they got the e-mail.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Craft an Email.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I'm ankle deep in email shavings over at Ye Olde Email Shoppe. You may choose an Unfinished Email at a discount if you'd like to try your hand at some finishing techniques. Tung oil really brings out their luster.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

This email is an early mesoamerican style email. It looks rather rough-hewn because they didn't use salutations but did you know that they had 27 ways for a project manager to say "please tell me you understand what i'm talking about".

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
We're only allowed to take 600 emails from the wild each year, so preorder now to avoid disappointment.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sundae posted:

It really says something that the most reasonable person I've spoken to so far today was a loving FDA inspector.

I never realized just how bad your job was when someone whose job it is to be an rear end in a top hat professionally (a needed rear end in a top hat for sure) is the nicest person you see on a day-to-day bases.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh, not the nicest - the most reasonable. I was able to actually explain something to him and get a reasonable response / understanding of the problem back, as well as acceptance that the solution, while not ideal, was okay for now. He still chewed me out as a representative of the company for letting it get this way in the first place, but he understood that I had nothing to do with it.

I have an eight year old CAPA project that I inherited that has bridged so many different quality system flavors of the month that the history of why it even exists is lost in the ether forever. It has a garbled effectiveness check that was corrupted sometime between 2008-2009 and which cannot be changed because of system incompatibilities preventing it from going back to action/e.c planning, an action plan that spans almost a decade and includes changes to a factory that was closed before the CAPA was even initiated, and which tells me to file FDA prior approval supplements for three drugs which were discontinued in 2010. I had to explain this terrible CAPA to the investigator, and he actually empathized with the problem and acknowledged that my hands were basically tied by the systems. He requested that I research the history and write up a report to put in the place of the CAPA explaining the history of the project, why it's so ugly and why none of this poo poo matters anymore. Basically, acknowledge that everything here is hosed up and that I'm trying to fix it now, and that's the best I can do.

Decent response, really, given the way the system works.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Can you remind us again why you havent left yet? I thought you said your mandatory term was up?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

It's like he auto-tuned one of our weekly staff meetings.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sundae posted:

Oh, not the nicest - the most reasonable. I was able to actually explain something to him and get a reasonable response / understanding of the problem back, as well as acceptance that the solution, while not ideal, was okay for now. He still chewed me out as a representative of the company for letting it get this way in the first place, but he understood that I had nothing to do with it.

I have an eight year old CAPA project that I inherited that has bridged so many different quality system flavors of the month that the history of why it even exists is lost in the ether forever. It has a garbled effectiveness check that was corrupted sometime between 2008-2009 and which cannot be changed because of system incompatibilities preventing it from going back to action/e.c planning, an action plan that spans almost a decade and includes changes to a factory that was closed before the CAPA was even initiated, and which tells me to file FDA prior approval supplements for three drugs which were discontinued in 2010. I had to explain this terrible CAPA to the investigator, and he actually empathized with the problem and acknowledged that my hands were basically tied by the systems. He requested that I research the history and write up a report to put in the place of the CAPA explaining the history of the project, why it's so ugly and why none of this poo poo matters anymore. Basically, acknowledge that everything here is hosed up and that I'm trying to fix it now, and that's the best I can do.

Decent response, really, given the way the system works.

I think the nicest equals the most reasonable, I might be broken.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

sbaldrick posted:

I think the nicest equals the most reasonable, I might be broken.

Nicest to deal with, at least.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Zero Gravitas posted:

Can you remind us again why you havent left yet? I thought you said your mandatory term was up?

So we have someone to look at and say thank god I'm not in his shoes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zero Gravitas posted:

Long story short: Because I'm a moron.

My mandatory term was up at my last job back in 2013, and I promptly packed up and hauled rear end out of there... straight to another lovely company and tied myself down with yet another lovely contract. It's a two-year contract that started in the middle of 2013, so I'm tied to this place until mid-2015.

No more relo contracts after that unless they're willing to do either a maximum expense (so I know what they're going to pretend they spent) or a 1-year term maximum. I'll wait out a year at a job just so I don't look like I'm hopping endlessly, but screw this 2+ years of idiocy poo poo.

(That being said, I am part of the idiocy as I didn't learn my lesson the first time.)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

You are eventually going to write a book about your career trajectory of going from one terrible company to the next, right?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I would read a blog of your posts. It'd be in the realm of GSElevator or wolf of Wall Street - a window into a world I barely understand, but can't look away from.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Swink posted:

I would read a blog of your posts. It'd be in the realm of GSElevator or wolf of Wall Street - a window into a world I barely understand, but can't look away from.

Oh dear god please yes! A Sundae blog would be amazing.

Was told today that that new department policy is if we don't have our time cards in on time we will be fired. Was sorely tempted to test this policy.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Oh dear god please yes! A Sundae blog would be amazing.

Was told today that that new department policy is if we don't have our time cards in on time we will be fired. Was sorely tempted to test this policy.

At an old company that I worked for, I was off by 30 minutes on my time sheet and quickly accused of fraud. I got a written warning as a result. I hate time sheets, particularly when we don't get overtime, we don't bill the customer, and the time sheets are only used for internal audit purposes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Swink posted:

If I can do it in a way that doesn't violate NDA but still gives insight, I will would totally do this.

quote:

A free way out of my contract? SCORE. Send that policy our way!

This isn't a complaint, but more of a daily oddity: I won an award today. For something. Not quite sure what. I got the invitation to attend the meeting about an hour before the presentation, and it was at our HQ about a two-hour drive away. Needless to say, I couldn't make it.

I have literally no clue what the award is about, but apparently it involves mailing me a tray of brownies. (I've been doing a "pretend I'm diabetic" challenge for 2014 and don't eat brownies, but I can't fault them for not knowing that.)

I'm more confused about why they didn't even say why I got it. It clearly can't be for employee engagement or morale or anything of that sort, but they didn't name a project, either. What activity are they trying to reinforce? Running in circles? Flailing?

My coworkers will certainly appreciate the brownies, though. :3:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shadowhand00 posted:

At an old company that I worked for, I was off by 30 minutes on my time sheet and quickly accused of fraud. I got a written warning as a result. I hate time sheets, particularly when we don't get overtime, we don't bill the customer, and the time sheets are only used for internal audit purposes.

When I was a temp at my current place two years ago, I had to hand write my time sheet and fax it to the temp company.

In the year 2012, I had to fax a time sheet every week. E-Mail was not acceptable.

They kept calling me during normal business hours to bitch that my time sheet wasn't filled out correctly over the stupidest poo poo, except I was working overnights at the time so they'd wake me up. I'd yes them to death, fall back asleep, and forget the exchange ever happened. It's not like they didn't know I worked nights, it was on my time sheet. I'd keep getting a back and forth from them over how I should write down my overnight shift, if a Sunday into Monday shift should be marked under Sunday, or Monday. They kept changing their minds for no reason, then wouldn't read the AM/PM and complain it didn't make sense until I started writing it in military time.

I was the last one with that temp company, my company dropped them for being retarded.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Quit the job.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Sundae posted:

If I can do it in a way that doesn't violate NDA but still gives insight, I will would totally do this.

A free way out of my contract? SCORE. Send that policy our way!

This isn't a complaint, but more of a daily oddity: I won an award today. For something. Not quite sure what. I got the invitation to attend the meeting about an hour before the presentation, and it was at our HQ about a two-hour drive away. Needless to say, I couldn't make it.

I have literally no clue what the award is about, but apparently it involves mailing me a tray of brownies. (I've been doing a "pretend I'm diabetic" challenge for 2014 and don't eat brownies, but I can't fault them for not knowing that.)

I'm more confused about why they didn't even say why I got it. It clearly can't be for employee engagement or morale or anything of that sort, but they didn't name a project, either. What activity are they trying to reinforce? Running in circles? Flailing?

My coworkers will certainly appreciate the brownies, though. :3:

They'll probably be poisoned.