Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering your post history in the thread I have difficulty believing B) in good faith without an explanation!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Srice posted:

Heck I will offer to give people advice on any so called "un-winnable" games by looking over a replay, assuming that

A) They didn't have anyone intentionally griefing or anything, since that happens sometimes and it sucks but you gotta move on!

and

B) They genuinely want to improve because otherwise they'll just find another scapegoat and waste my time.

I will take you up on this. I don't have a game handy, but will find/play one.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Srice posted:

Considering your post history in the thread I have difficulty believing B) in good faith without an explanation!!

Typical goon project.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

ScienceAndMusic posted:

You do realize MMR is a visible thing right? You also realize replays in unranked will still tell you the skill level right? The trench is real, the trench is life. Russians exist too. And dumb pubbies are and will forever be a thing in every video game till the heat death of the universe.

What is your visibile mmr. I need to know.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I am going to bet it's 3900-4100.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I am going to bet it's 3900-4100.

Based on him ranting that Death Prophet was the most OP hero in dota in the last thread I think you're aiming a little high.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
My MMR is 2360, thank you very much.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ScienceAndMusic posted:

My MMR is 2360, thank you very much.

Whoa are you dendi

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh poo poo i better deflect this actual criticism with a lovely joke maybe if i'm self depreciating they'll stop pointing out what an idiot hellbaby i am

hint: unless you're a pro player there are people in this thread at your skill level so it's kind of dumb for you to sit on this high tower of made-up mmr and talk down to people who are pointing out you can just abandon the game if you're so unhappy

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Make concede an invisible toggle that becomes available after 15 or 20 minutes or something.

Decrease the timer for being flagged afk/abandon for each person who has "DO NOT CONCEDE" set. This discourages one person from no longer participating and sitting somewhere while waiting for a concede. Or, they could and just eat the abandon, which they can do right now, anyway.

After 4 people have "CONCEDE" set, a 10 minute countdown starts, after which a confirmation shows up, which can be anonymously cancelled by anyone who had "CONCEDE" set. This resets the 10 minute countdown.

Either way, you provide an option for conceding without disturbing the current situation greatly.

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012
Honestly I can't tell if some posters in this thread spend more time complaining about then actually playing Dota.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So when techies is released, what do you buy on them?

I assume Soul ring, mana boots, force staff? Late game aghs I guess too?

blink :twisted:

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

Honestly I can't tell if some posters in this thread spend more time complaining about then actually playing Dota.

it's like a diablo 3 auction house but for legendary shitposts

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

You can force staff in too man.

Or more pro, force staff them in... to you.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

On the subject of comebacks though, I had this comeback happen against me, the nightstalker yesterday: http://dotabuff.com/matches/789866854

That team shouldn't have won, but we didn't push fast enough and then their WK got aegis and smacked us down one by one. I don't know if that means I need to practice nightstalker or more or stop playing him altogether. Also there are probably better items than Skadi on nightstalker. I am dumb.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Make concede an invisible toggle that becomes available after 15 or 20 minutes or something.

Decrease the timer for being flagged afk/abandon for each person who has "DO NOT CONCEDE" set. This discourages one person from no longer participating and sitting somewhere while waiting for a concede. Or, they could and just eat the abandon, which they can do right now, anyway.

After 4 people have "CONCEDE" set, a 10 minute countdown starts, after which a confirmation shows up, which can be anonymously cancelled by anyone who had "CONCEDE" set. This resets the 10 minute countdown.

Either way, you provide an option for conceding without disturbing the current situation greatly.

No longer allow parties of less than 6, five players one coach. Only coach can surrender.

edit: I also stand by my opinion of "gently caress death prophet" :colbert:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So when techies is released, what do you buy on them?

I assume Soul ring, mana boots, force staff? Late game aghs I guess too?

Soul ring into mana shoes. Force Staff is much less useful than you'd think because if you get caught your best option is to just suicide. After that you have some flexibility. Aghs and Sheepstick are generally the best items to go for, since they allow you to participate in teamfights, but Euls is fine if the teams are both playing passively or if your farm isn't too great

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
On a serious note, how do you even properly play Techies? I get mining runes and all that, but with their abysmal base damage, how do you lane them, and what's their role in team fights?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bauxite posted:

I don't get to choose when someone else is being a dick, and if I abandon he gets to go be a dick in another game while I'm stuck contemplating how it ended up this way for X minutes.

Coming back to this - if someone's being a dick, report them (they're probably doing something reportable). That is not at all what was originally talked about.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

AzureRequiem posted:

On a serious note, how do you even properly play Techies? I get mining runes and all that, but with their abysmal base damage, how do you lane them, and what's their role in team fights?

I always imagined you laned them like some sort of support, but then I feel like he needs farm to get his items up and be useful. Probably just walk behind creeps and drop mines. Are mines visible for a brief time to the enemy? I don't understand this hero...

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I always sort of imagine Techies as a dedicated hard support that roam a lot. Put a couple mines in one bottle neck, then move in to lane maybe hit the creeps, put some mines in another bottle neck, check rune and maybe even ward... etc etc.

I have no idea

E: Also the fact their ult gives vision seems pretty powerful.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I'm predicting a single digit win rate for techies.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

AzureRequiem posted:

Stack mines on the side shops and sit in your fountain waiting for someone to blunder into them, obviously.

But seriously there's a lot of poo poo you can do with them. I liked playing with batriders who would pull players into stacks of mines or onto stasis traps. The ult can work as a pseudo-ward last I recall, though I haven't played dota 1 in ages.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im predicting many slam dunks with the io-techies-lifestealer combo.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

oh poo poo i better deflect this actual criticism with a lovely joke maybe if i'm self depreciating they'll stop pointing out what an idiot hellbaby i am

hint: unless you're a pro player there are people in this thread at your skill level so it's kind of dumb for you to sit on this high tower of made-up mmr and talk down to people who are pointing out you can just abandon the game if you're so unhappy

His previous posts in this thread has lead me to believe the number he gave isn't actually too far off the real thing.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Most players aren't smart enough to know when a game is actually lost.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

I always sort of imagine Techies as a dedicated hard support that roam a lot. Put a couple mines in one bottle neck, then move in to lane maybe hit the creeps, put some mines in another bottle neck, check rune and maybe even ward... etc etc.

I have no idea

E: Also the fact their ult gives vision seems pretty powerful.

Where is the Techies getting the mana for this as a support? His spells are crazy expensive, you'd have to start out with 7 clarities or something.

khysanth posted:

ScienceandMusic knows, and always when the rest of his trash tier pubbie teammates don't know (please note that ScienceandMusic is not trash tier, he's just matched up with, and against, all trash tier players). It's always in the first 15 minutes too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

Where is the Techies getting the mana for this as a support? His spells are crazy expensive, you'd have to start out with 7 clarities or something.

Like I said, I have no idea. There is a guide on Dota-Fire that says start with nothing but clarities so theres that.

That was just my assumption.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 22, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AzureRequiem posted:

You buy a poo poo ton of clarities and leech experience from the lane in between placing mines.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

khysanth posted:

I would honestly say that's next to never because pubs throw leads away for seemingly no reason all the time.

There was a game while ago where our mid rax was down, but I bought a divine rapier and we pushed to get megacreeps. I died in the process, and they had a Kunkka alive that could have taken the rapier and just killed our ancient in a few autoattacks. The game should have been actually lost right there.

Nope, their druid takes it and puts it on his bear, which gets blown up in three seconds because the game was 70 minutes long. There are games where one team can get an insurmountable advantage early, sure, but unless you actually have megacreeps you are going to have a hard time throwing a lead.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Starting with a ton of clarities and a tp scroll for immediately porting into a lane to lay mines is a standard start for techies.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Concede sucks because Dota isn't a game about maximizing your fun per minute, it's a competition with extreme highs and lows. People don't stop playing Dota when they're not having fun, they go on a 10 game lose streak bender. People stop playing the game when it gets boring, and a meta where game is decided @ 10 minutes when one team taps out is really loving boring.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

^^^Video games not played for fun. News at 11.

mikeraskol posted:

ScienceandMusic knows, and always when the rest of his trash tier pubbie teammates don't know (please note that ScienceandMusic is not trash tier, he's just matched up with, and against, all trash tier players). It's always in the first 15 minutes too.

Actually almost all of my games my teammates are super cool and know when a game is lost and we just death push a lane together and have a laugh. Its about 1/15 or so games where someone is adamant about not giving up, generally to the moans of everyone else on the team. This is in solo ranked by the way.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Question:

Tinker gets his travels and a blink soon after, and then does the "teleport to an empty lane + blink inside a thick forest and cast march of machines a couple of times + retreat to base and do it again" shtick until the game ends.

What are you supposed to do with this? Camping for his teleport is pretty fruitless after he has a blink because there is literally no time to do anything before he is somewhere behind a blockade of trees. Few seconds later and he isn't there anymore even if you can clear a set of trees to reach him.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
I don't get all the anger and rararaarrr about ranked matchmaking.

Then again, I mostly just play normal all pick with goons and random. I haven't even played ranked yet, I don't think

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

AzureRequiem posted:

I don't get all the anger and rararaarrr about ranked matchmaking.

Then again, I mostly just play normal all pick with goons and random. I haven't even played ranked yet, I don't think

You should really try games with staggered picks/bans (random draft, captains draft, captains mode). Its really fun to learn how to draft and the complexity that it involves. It also will make a loss sting less when you realize that you were outdrafted as opposed to outplayed (though both are generally true).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
At least in Dota 1, techies were GREAT at pushing because mines are a good way to clear creepwaves but, more importantly, deal full damage to towers (provided there were creeps to actually trigger the mine).

Also, with smoke, I imagine that techies will be great for setting up backstabs and generally be annoying with taking out neutral creep stacks, etc. Techies usually end up being underleveled but can actually manage to farm okay because just the sheer amount of damage mines can put out means techies can get clear creepwaves in seconds (remote + mine is a guaranteed wave kill, or was).

Between cyclone, sheep, and stun, techies give a lot of control during teamfights. Stun/remote mines give great vision. Lots of stuff.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

ScienceAndMusic posted:

^^^Video games not played for fun. News at 11.

Most of the time, Dota isn't fun. Every Dota player knows this. They still play the game all the loving time.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

verybad posted:

Most of the time, Dota isn't fun. Every Dota player knows this. They still play the game all the loving time.

Dota is not fun, it merely fills the emptiness of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

verybad posted:

I want to but I can't disagree with you.

• Locked thread