Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I was on a small deck the only O-6s who bothered to show up were VIPs and I assume that's normal on shooters too?

CO/XO on carriers is an O-6, generally the CAG is an O-6 as well. AFAIK CHENG/medical officer usually is too, I'm sure there are some other floaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

CO/XO on carriers is an O-6, generally the CAG is an O-6 as well. AFAIK CHENG/medical officer usually is too, I'm sure there are some other floaters.

Yes, I know. I was on one. I was talking about other ships.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah the only reason an O-6 ever came onboard either DDG I was on is because they are a chaplain, the commodore, or an inspector.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I never will understand why Chaplains are allowed to be promoted at all. Make those useless fucks make O-3 pay for their entire career of not really doing anything of actual value.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I don't know, some of them actually do stuff. The one at the hospital I'm at tries his hardest to use the confidentiality of his position to actually change policies and help out the lower enlisted in getting a voice without the Chiefs muffling it. They can shut up an E-3, but good luck with an O-4. He's also the most proactive in setting up stuff to maintain morale, help out sailors/marines that don't want to see Mental Health but are in need of a helping hand, and whenever something seems hosed up, tries to make the best move possible to help out whoever is getting hosed over.

There are a lot of lovely ones though. The guy before this one was completely useless and couldn't put his own twisted outlook on the world to the side in order to help people, often doing more bad than good. His wife was also a total dependacunt and I feel sorry for their child.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Had the distinct pleasure of spending several hours this morning in a car dealership. The salesmen are annoying but the finance guys are straight up loving thieves. I was a total pain in the rear end of course since I understand arcane subjects such as interest rates. I laughed at the guy when he quoted the first interest rate to me and told him to try again. At one point I looked the guy right in the eye and said "I bet you get a lot of people in here who take the first number you offer them don't you?" He at least had the grace to look embarrassed, but did say yes. I swear that there should be a requirement for young sailors to take a week long car buying class before they are even allowed to think of getting withing 500 feet of a car dealership.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Had the distinct pleasure of spending several hours this morning in a car dealership. The salesmen are annoying but the finance guys are straight up loving thieves. I was a total pain in the rear end of course since I understand arcane subjects such as interest rates. I laughed at the guy when he quoted the first interest rate to me and told him to try again. At one point I looked the guy right in the eye and said "I bet you get a lot of people in here who take the first number you offer them don't you?" He at least had the grace to look embarrassed, but did say yes. I swear that there should be a requirement for young sailors to take a week long car buying class before they are even allowed to think of getting withing 500 feet of a car dealership.

Were you right a off base? When I was here as an E3 they tried to sell me a Mazdaspeed 3 at $600 a month payments for 72 months.

I was also a wizard of the dark financial arts and told him to gently caress off.

I just wanted to test drive it for fun.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Were you right a off base? When I was here as an E3 they tried to sell me a Mazdaspeed 3 at $600 a month payments for 72 months.

I was also a wizard of the dark financial arts and told him to gently caress off.

I just wanted to test drive it for fun.

No, World Ford on Pensacola Blvd. The guys right off base are literal scum for the most part.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Anyone have the quote from Admiral Mahan about ships being awful and anyone that wants to go on one is terrible?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Anyone have the quote from Admiral M
ahan about ships being awful and anyone that wants to go on one is terrible?

Found how much he hated the ocean and sucked at driving ships but no quotes

http://www.historynet.com/alfred-thayer-mahan-the-reluctant-seaman.htm

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
USAA car buying service is pretty sweet...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

vulturesrow posted:

Before classing up in a-school we had to do a week long financial management class which included poo poo like that and mall kiosks for laptops, etc

Didn't stop people though

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
What car did you get/what intrest (if you don't mind telling). I was looking at the services at my credit union and they're 2% for new cars.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

What car did you get/what intrest (if you don't mind telling). I was looking at the services at my credit union and they're 2% for new cars.

I just got quoted a refinance on my 2013 Focus ST at 1.7%

If your credit is up for it, sub 2% is easy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

When I was in Norfolk I was approached in a loving grocery store by a guy who asked "you have a car?" Yes. "Want to sell it and buy a new one?"

He worked at a car dealership right across the street from the store. That one creeped me the hell out, partly because of the approach and partly because it must sometimes work.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Calling attention on deck when the CO or other senior officer comes by if nothing else to clear the drat walkway is the norm on ships, not the exception.

I don't think I ever heard 'attention on deck' on my fast boat, except as a joke to gently caress with butterbar ringknockers.

We -might- have said something like 'captain on the conn' but I don't remember. We did pipe him on/off in port, though. (Also piped butterbar ringknockers, to gently caress with them.)

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Yeah, they forced us into a week long class with a retired Chief that told us how he would swindle the car dealerships pretending to be a senile old man until he pulled out a calculator on them when negotiating a price came down.

Still can't believe dudes pay 600+ a month. I think my LPO fell for that. And here I am spending my hard earned money on protein and week long cruises/deep sea fishing.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

vulturesrow posted:

Financing for E1 and up!

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

Buying a car is super fun when you're a woman. They fall all over themselves to give me the shittiest deal and then drat near cry when I get a price quote and go somewhere else with cash. I swear they think I'm an idiot who lost her handler. I'm going to CarMax when I get back Stateside. I own my car but I need a truck.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Then why the stupid question?

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I was on a small deck the only O-6s who bothered to show up were VIPs and I assume that's normal on shooters too?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

Then why the stupid question?

Shooters are cruisers, destroyers, and frigates. Small deck is LPD/LSD.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Shooters are cruisers, destroyers, and frigates. Small deck is LPD/LSD.

I have literally never heard that. The SWO community always refers to it as CRUDES (cruisers/destroyers) or amphibs/big decks. :gooncamp:

edit: I thought you meant shooters as in carriers shooting [off] jets.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
im pretty sure even people who aren't in the navy knew what they meant

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

krispykremessuck posted:

im pretty sure even people who aren't in the navy knew what they meant

I've never heard 'shooters' refer to anything but a dive bar

I could see 'the SWO community' calling attention on deck if a captain walked into a joint like that

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've never heard 'shooters' refer to anything but a dive bar

I could see 'the SWO community' calling attention on deck if a captain walked into a joint like that

I meant in the sense that I could determine what was meant by shooters, not that it's some unofficial way that swos refer to cruisers/destroyers

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Subs are boats. Everything else is a target. :smuggo:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Shooters are the guys in yellow jerseys who push the button that makes the catapult go.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

I have literally never heard that. The SWO community always refers to it as CRUDES (cruisers/destroyers) or amphibs/big decks. :gooncamp:

edit: I thought you meant shooters as in carriers shooting [off] jets.

I thought shooter was a pretty common term? :confused:

It's usually used in relation to TLAM but it always means a VLS capable ship. Small boy is the most commonly used term I hear to refer to CRUDES though.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

Expedition EL. USAA is currently 4.25, the dealership offered 6.35 and that was when I told them to try again. They came back with 5.4 which I accepted because it gives me the same monthly payment as USAA due to a rebate I got for financing through Ford. I'm sure I could've gotten them lower. They also have affiliate banks that probably could've beat the USAA rate but then I would not have received the rebate for financing through Ford. I'll do that for 4 months and then refinance with USAA at the lower rate.

As an aside, the finance calculator I had to buy for one of my MBA classes made figuring out all the payment info and stuff out a hell of a lot easier than using a regular calculator.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

I've literally never heard that or heard a SWO refer to them as anything but small boys.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

I've literally never heard that or heard a SWO refer to them as anything but small boys.

We're a special breed in TLAM I guess.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

We're a special breed in TLAM I guess.

Imma beat this horse some more but I have heard the term in reference to VLS equipped surface ships. Usually though its not used in a generic sense but when specifically asking what ships are available with VLS when doing some sort of tactical planning. But TLAM is a special breed. :toot:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Expedition EL.

drat, you must have a family. I still want my irresponsible Raptor, but I still can't afford $1000/month payments so I guess I'll just live vicariously though other people getting big trucks.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sir Lucius posted:

drat, you must have a family. I still want my irresponsible Raptor, but I still can't afford $1000/month payments so I guess I'll just live vicariously though other people getting big trucks.

Yeah I have a litter of kids so we have to buy something big. This is the family vehicle; I've been driving the same explorer since 2000. Raptor is pretty sweet, a CMC I know (and an actual really awesome one) who retired about a year ago bought one for himself as a retirement celebration.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Imma beat this horse some more but I have heard the term in reference to VLS equipped surface ships. Usually though its not used in a generic sense but when specifically asking what ships are available with VLS when doing some sort of tactical planning. But TLAM is a special breed. :toot:

I've heard it used to refer to AD capable ships which today is synonymous with VLS equipped but used to include the MK13/26 equipped CGs and FFGs. Whatever.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Power is out at NAS Oceana. ROPEYARN WEDNESDAY :rock:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

DustyNuts posted:

Power is out at NAS Oceana. ROPEYARN WEDNESDAY :rock:

You get to knit when the power goes out?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

It's usually used in relation to TLAM but it always means a VLS capable ship. Small boy is the most commonly used term I hear to refer to CRUDES though.

This post is correct. I've also heard SSGN's called shooters as well, though it is far less common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
More micromanagement at the shitstain that is fc/et/bm/qm/gm/ic a school. Students must be in class for fifty minutes, then have a ten minute break, no exceptions.

This introduces a few problems which I mean if I can see I'd hope the chain of 'command' could see, most notably that the entire loving schoolhouse will be in break at the same time. Good luck getting coffee in ten minutes with a line of 400 people.

• Locked thread