Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

mishaq posted:

i would seriously quit a job that forced me to use a bbry

i do want to quit, not just because of the bbry but this kind of just reinforces the fact that my workplace is helpless and i could probably be more useful and happy elsewhere.

unfortunately, municipalities kind of have a monopoly on health departments so unless i want to commute to elsewhere in the GHTA (i don't) i am stuck here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mishaq posted:

i would seriously quit a job that forced me to use a bbry

my last job gave me a blackberry for on-call purposes. the battery life was extraordinary (possibly because i never used it)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Chen hires another of his Sybase buddies in as COO

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/blackberry-hires-marketing-and-customer-service-executive-as-coo/article19688435/

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cash them sweet payroll checks while there's still (amazingly) cash to burn

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

got excited b/c this was in the canada thread and i thoguht it was rob ford but then i remembered he's a crackhead not an alcoholic (i mean ya he's also an alcoholic but i think they go by the hardest stuff u do)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

prefect posted:

you got my hopes up, but i guess i should have looked for "crackhead" instead of "alcoholic" :argh:

oh maybe i should have read this post lol

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

cash them sweet payroll checks while there's still (amazingly) cash to burn

LOL if you don't think the Canadian government will give them money or mysterious tax refunds to keep them afloat.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

my morning jackass posted:

i still do not believe our department has made this device the cornerstone of their new workplace model.

i do

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

so apple just posted 7.7 billion in profit. That's a lot of money to use to push into the Enterprise.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bonzo posted:

so apple just posted 7.7 billion in profit
how much did the stock fall by?

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i very briefly worked at a firm where they refused to actually fire people

they would just transfer you to a non-job with no duties and a cubicle far away from your old friends and coworkers. then they waited for some combination of shame and boredom to drive you out of the firm

they ended up with hundreds of deliberately-"forgotten" employees who just refused to leave. after that they moved to a different "rightsizing" mechanism which was even crazier but that's another story

sounds very japanese

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

FMguru posted:

how much did the stock fall by?

they beat projections for revenue, EPS, and gross margin, but Apple didn't release a watch last month so they're already dead. hth

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i very briefly worked at a firm where they refused to actually fire people

they would just transfer you to a non-job with no duties and a cubicle far away from your old friends and coworkers. then they waited for some combination of shame and boredom to drive you out of the firm

they ended up with hundreds of deliberately-"forgotten" employees who just refused to leave. after that they moved to a different "rightsizing" mechanism which was even crazier but that's another story

what's the other story?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Scott Forstall posted:

they beat projections for revenue, EPS, and gross margin, but Apple didn't release a watch last month so they're already dead. hth
:rip:

completely destroyed by galaxy gear and android wear

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

didnt give gartner any money, no longer relevant

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bonzo posted:

so apple just posted 7.7 billion in profit. That's a lot of money to use to push into the Enterprise.

and fail

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Scott Forstall posted:

With sales sputtering, Apple's iPad looks to IBM alliance
Reuters - ‎2 hours ago‎

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
rip in peace apple

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

2/5

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Hey guys, let's see what we can do to make our stock price go down again.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/blackberry-buffs-up-security-with-anti-eavesdropping-acquisition/article19818840/

quote:

“I want to make sure that we don’t get carried away and get ourselves into trouble again financially, but then again, we do need to invest in certain areas, if we want to compete in the future,” said Chen, a well regarded turnaround expert in the technology industry, who took the reins at BlackBerry some nine months ago.

The firm has also been expanding its enterprise sales team.

Stock went down 3.12% and its not even 10am yet.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Bonzo posted:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/blackberry-buffs-up-security-with-anti-eavesdropping-acquisition/article19818840/

"well regarded turnaround expert"?!

more like...

well retarded turnaround idiot! amirite?!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
imagine working at the company they just bought. the utter desperation you're feeling right now.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Nelson MandEULA posted:

imagine working at the company they just bought. the utter desperation you're feeling right now.

It looks like they already had a BB10 app so it looks like BBRY just bought them for the app. Maybe is was cheaper than actually paying them for the dev work. Now they can just fire all the employees and keep the app which is exactly what they've done with any startup they've purchased in the last 5 years.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bonzo posted:

this is just sad, somebody take bb out back and put it out of its misery with a shotgun

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nelson MandEULA posted:

well retarded turnaround idiot! amirite?!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ford is dumping blackberry for iPhones

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle19830820/

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ford Motor Co. is converting its staff from BlackBerry smartphones to iPhones, serving another blow to the Canadian company as its new chief executive officer John Chen tries to reinvent its brand.

Ford will replace BlackBerry smartphones with iPhones for 3,300 employees by the end of this year, the U.S. auto giant said. Eventually, the goal is to switch the entire workforce to the iPhone.

[…]

“At this time, it (the iPhone) is the best solution for the company,” said Sara Tatchio, a Ford spokeswoman.

Ford, which has more than 200,000 employees around the globe, also posted a job advertisement for a technology analyst whose “primary focus” through early-2015 is global deployment of corporate iPhones.

Ford follows a number of corporations, including Home Depot, Cisco and Dell, which have switched away from Blackberry over the past few years.

[…]

“Knock on wood. I feel pretty good about where we are in terms of the turnaround,” said Mr. Chen in an interview with Reuters.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I feel pretty good

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

radium destroyed the old thread so…

BBRY: $9.33

STILL GOING
sarcastx : Aug 4, 2014
Moist von Lipwig : Aug 8, 2014
DAD LOST MY IPOD : Aug 12, 2014
Number19 : Sep 11, 2014
The Devil Tesla: Sep 11, 2014
nigga crab pollock : Sep 25, 2014
Rev_Crabes : Sep 30, 2014
CNClab 2021: Dec 13, 2014

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

“Knock on wood. I feel pretty good about where we are in terms of the turnaround,” said Mr. Chen in an interview with Reuters.
:feelsgood:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i can't imagine anyone picking android in business. it'd be like switching to linux. except a mutant linux that is somehow much more virus prone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ford has a lot of employees but most of them are blue collar factory workers that don't get company phones. it's not like a huge bank or medical supplier where almost everyone needs email to get their job done.

but lol at any enterprise that isn't already well into the migration away from blackberry.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

but lol at any enterprise that isn't already well into the migration away from blackberry.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ford abandons crackberry

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The Management posted:

but lol at any enterprise that isn't already well away from blackberry already.

fixed

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
BlackBerry Ltd has concluded a protracted and painful restructuring process and is back on a growth footing, according to an internal memo to all its employees viewed by Reuters.

"We have completed the restructuring notification process, and the workforce reduction that began three years ago is now behind us," said the memo from BlackBerry's Chief Executive John Chen that was sent out on Friday.

"More importantly, barring any unexpected downturns in the market, we will be adding headcount in certain areas such as product development, sales and customer service, beginning in modest numbers," said Chen, who personally thanked those that have stayed with the company through the process.

BlackBerry has shrunk its workforce by roughly 60 percent over the last three years as it attempts to reinvent itself.

loool

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

barring any unexpected downturns in the market

these are the same people whose expectations include "people buying blackberry products" right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blackula69 posted:

barring any unexpected downturns in the market

like say, absolutely no one wanting blackberrys and no carriers or stores willing to sell/promote/give shelf space to them.

but who could anticipate something like that? certainly not john chen

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
unexpected circumstances like their competitors continuing to make increasingly better phones and growing their ecosystems, leaving blackberry further behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Blackula69 posted:

BlackBerry Ltd has concluded a protracted and painful restructuring process and is back on a growth footing, according to an internal memo to all its employees viewed by Reuters.

"We have completed the restructuring notification process, and the workforce reduction that began three years ago is now behind us," said the memo from BlackBerry's Chief Executive John Chen that was sent out on Friday.

"More importantly, barring any unexpected downturns in the market, we will be adding headcount in certain areas such as product development, sales and customer service, beginning in modest numbers," said Chen, who personally thanked those that have stayed with the company through the process.

BlackBerry has shrunk its workforce by roughly 60 percent over the last three years as it attempts to reinvent itself.

loool
wish i could send this entire thread on bb incompetence back in time to 1980 and totally loving scuttle the cyberpunk movement

• Locked thread