Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

t:mad:t to the Phoenix changes, both in real life and the fact that they're making you re-buy the track with a $5 credit for owning the right old track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

The Riley and HPD are in the same series now. Gotta find a way to race and eat popcorn at the same time.

3.4 gigs? Got drat I'm gonna go home for lunch just to get that started before the night rush.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

ColdPie posted:

iRacing sent us a small handful of 12-month membership promo cards. I believe they only work for new accounts. If you're interested in trying iRacing out, send me a PM and I'll get back to you with a code. I only have 6, so please only request one if you think you're actually going to play (and join Gooncar when it starts back up!). I'll edit this post once they're all gone.

Firstly, I want to say thank you for the code. I plan on buying a couple cars and a couple tracks on top of this. I really want Bathurst, but I'm going to hold off until I go up a badge in both Rookie Road and Rookie Oval.

I thought I'd be more of a road race kind of guy, but i find myself obsessing over Rookie SS. But loving USA International Speedway (an oxymoron if I ever heard one) is a loving bitch!! On my first day I winged it and finished 8th in a field of 18 finishers so I felt pretty good for just finishing. It knocked a few points off my SR, but it was only due to light rubs going into corners and mostly from people who were lapping me too fast.

I've noticed that yielding the low line to someone who is lapping you isn't enough, safety-wise. You really have to go way high and even towards the end when I was giving a good 2 car's width between us they'd still drift up and hit me. I can see that SR is going to be the big challenge for the next badge.

I have to say though that USA International is a kind of dumb idea for a rookie series. It seems to require a lot of throttle and brake finesse--something almost no one has--as well as good accident avoidance in really tight spaces.

Nonetheless, I continue to obsess over getting my time down in practice. Right now my best lap is 25.90 and I'm pretty happy with that having just joined this weekend.

Now just to run clean :argh:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Right now is Week 13, which is the "fun" week between seasons. Normally each series runs 12-week seasons with a different track each Monday night. Just wait until you do SS at Charlotte, it's a slaughterfest.

Buy the Skip Barber Formula 2000 since it's the best car in the game for learning how to drive.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

KingShibby posted:

Right now is Week 13, which is the "fun" week between seasons. Normally each series runs 12-week seasons with a different track each Monday night. Just wait until you do SS at Charlotte, it's a slaughterfest.

Buy the Skip Barber Formula 2000 since it's the best car in the game for learning how to drive.

I get it, so this is a one-week series for fun? How are these Legends races to run? That track looks shooooort.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Overwined posted:

I get it, so this is a one-week series for fun? How are these Legends races to run? That track looks shooooort.

Yeah this week is for fun, I strongly recommend Figure 8 racing. You learn how to drive, and the points don't matter!

I've never really raced Legends, but they run on very short ovals frequently. I hear it's a blast on road courses, but I'm an open-wheeler.

I know I'm biased, but the 3 cars I would recommend buying are the DW12, Star Mazda, and the Skippy. I recommend these because as many of us know, they can be ran on both Ovals & Road Courses.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Bumming Your Scene posted:

3.4 gigs? Got drat I'm gonna go home for lunch just to get that started before the night rush.

gently caress, too late. 35 KB/s in the year 2014.

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 22, 2014

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The DW12 is probably the best car to drive in the service now. It's a blast at Donington.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

gently caress, too late.

The size of the update depends on how much content you own. I have every road course and a good amount of the ovals. I also download all the optional content for cars I don't own.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I survived Rookies and week 13! My oval license is now D.

Apparently your iRating starts at 1350 but mine has gone down to 1072. I thought your iRating wasn't affected until you got out of rookies? Regardless, I am very happy right now. And not to be all smug but meanwhile, the guy I posted about earlier who claimed to be the best driver ever with his SR of 1.66, is now down to 1.52. :v:

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Your iRating is not displayed until you exit Rookies. I assume they do that to try and discourage actual racing in the rookie series, hoping in vain that people will focus on driving safe.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Oh cool, someone posted a tip to change your delivery mode at the bottom of your account to International, now I can get 6 MBps instead of 6 KBps

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
iRating always counts. It is hidden while you are a rookie so it's not something you have to worry about. Rookies is for learning how to drive safe and get your SR up to 3 so you can promote to D and then it shows your iRating.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

t:mad:t to the Phoenix changes, both in real life and the fact that they're making you re-buy the track with a $5 credit for owning the right old track.

What has changed at Phoenix then?

A patented Nascar "Resurfacing" to completely gently caress up racing?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

What has changed at Phoenix then?

A patented Nascar "Resurfacing" to completely gently caress up racing?

Ding ding ding. Ripped out the road course (fine, it wasn't really any good), moved the dogleg, progressive banking. Guess what, it's still single-file in taxicabs and the last time a DW12 tested there (albeit with the roadcourse wings) it was flat all the way around.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

the last time a DW12 tested there (albeit with the roadcourse wings) it was flat all the way around.

I was pretty much flat-out in it last night in testing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I haven't bought the DW12 (or New Phoenix) - what wing setup does it get in iRacing?

Old Phoenix in the old Dallara (and painfully empty stands):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT9JtACUZuI

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ding ding ding. Ripped out the road course (fine, it wasn't really any good), moved the dogleg, progressive banking. Guess what, it's still single-file in taxicabs and the last time a DW12 tested there (albeit with the roadcourse wings) it was flat all the way around.

Superb work there then.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I haven't bought the DW12 (or New Phoenix) - what wing setup does it get in iRacing?

Old Phoenix in the old Dallara (and painfully empty stands):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT9JtACUZuI

95% sure it's Speedway configuration since I didn't have any front wing upper ramps.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Is there something wrong with the site or is it on my end? I can get to the splash screen alright, but anything deeper times out or loads nothing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why is it that even the road events end up being ovals?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
OH.MY.GOD. The MX-5! What did they do to the rookie MX-5!?!?!?! It's.......loving excellent :getin:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, the MX-5 is actually fun to drive now. I was annoyed in the last update where they made the tires poo poo for it. It's pretty planted and an overall good experience. The brakes aren't what I'm used to. Though I spend most my time in the skip and the star mazda.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I'm very happy with this new release, especially the DW12. It's nice having fixed setups in-place for the ovals to start tuning from, and I'm enjoying making my own road course setups. Look for me to run mostly DW12 leagues for a season or two to learn the car and get better.

Reminder to anyone that doesn't have TradingPaints to get it. Even if you don't paint your own cars, you can now select & use paint schemes that other people have uploaded. For example, I painted Hinch's Pink GoDaddy DW12 that he ran last season so anyone can use it for free. I plan on making my SA-themed :smugdog: DW12 for us in the next few weeks after I tweak the paint for the Pink GoDaddy for road-trim.

oses
Jul 20, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, the MX-5 is actually fun to drive now. I was annoyed in the last update where they made the tires poo poo for it. It's pretty planted and an overall good experience. The brakes aren't what I'm used to. Though I spend most my time in the skip and the star mazda.

If you get a chance, also check out the spec-racer ford. The new patch has really done some good things for it. Quick warning though, if you have old setups they may not work well anymore. I'd start from baseline and work from there.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

oses posted:

If you get a chance, also check out the spec-racer ford. The new patch has really done some good things for it. Quick warning though, if you have old setups they may not work well anymore. I'd start from baseline and work from there.
I'm glad it's not just me. I thought I was just insane on cold medicine last night. I couldn't keep the SRF pointed the right way at all with my old setups.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

New season for me means new paint for whatever car I'm driving

http://www.tradingpaints.com/showroom/view/11642/Tyrell-Corporation-Genetic-Replicants

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 26, 2014

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I really like it. It's original.

I know a lot of (or most) people feel differently, but I feel disappointed whenever I see someone simply copy a paint scheme from a real car. It's such a wasted opportunity: they could have put whatever they wanted on it, made it personal and unique, but instead they went with another Dale Jr. paint scheme.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I like it, too. If I had the wherewithal, I'd make a Voight Kampff Analytics one or maybe Tyrell's Discount Owls.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I need to pull more photos of my Forza 4 liveries and remake then in iRacing. I spent too much time on them to let them sit.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 26, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know the pictures above this post arent from iracing but I noticed in some rookie videos the graphics are better than mine and I thought I had everything cranked up. Is there a trick to get those nice shadows or is it a feature of replay mode?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Cage posted:

I know the pictures above this post arent from iracing but I noticed in some rookie videos the graphics are better than mine and I thought I had everything cranked up. Is there a trick to get those nice shadows or is it a feature of replay mode?

I followed everything in the nvidia stickied thread http://members.iracing.com/jforum/forums/show/615.page
There's an ATI thread too if that's your deal.

Harveygod posted:

I really like it. It's original.

I know a lot of (or most) people feel differently, but I feel disappointed whenever I see someone simply copy a paint scheme from a real car. It's such a wasted opportunity: they could have put whatever they wanted on it, made it personal and unique, but instead they went with another Dale Jr. paint scheme.

Yeah, I like making fake things or inside jokes into brands.

Made this one entirely out of stock photos and free logo generator websites

Doom Sleigher fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 26, 2014

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Site's down - there goes my SR momentum. Went from 2.47 to 2.80 in Rookie Legends so far today.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

KingShibby posted:

I'm very happy with this new release, especially the DW12. It's nice having fixed setups in-place for the ovals to start tuning from, and I'm enjoying making my own road course setups. Look for me to run mostly DW12 leagues for a season or two to learn the car and get better.

Reminder to anyone that doesn't have TradingPaints to get it. Even if you don't paint your own cars, you can now select & use paint schemes that other people have uploaded. For example, I painted Hinch's Pink GoDaddy DW12 that he ran last season so anyone can use it for free. I plan on making my SA-themed :smugdog: DW12 for us in the next few weeks after I tweak the paint for the Pink GoDaddy for road-trim.

So trading paints shows other people's liveries too? I thought you could always see other people's liveries. Regardless of you using Trading Paints or not. Since if it does that, doesn't that mean it messes with the iRacing.exe during runtime and stuff? But I guess it is allowed through some API of sorts.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Nothing like that. There are the standard in-browser paint schemes (where you pick three colors, a design, and two sponsors), and then you can make you own .tga file that it will load onto the mesh. The iRacing exe always looks for these files and if it can't find any for you user id and car combo it will load the default in-browser paint job.

All trading paints does is search the userid/car type for all the users in your session, downloads the tgas and reloads all the paints. No exploits or injection or anything.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

So you just leave the trading paints program running in the background and it will sync paint schemes? Or am I being stupid. Some guy who claimed to have a trading paints scheme when I asked, turned out to have something that looked identical to a browser skin. So I don't think it worked.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Torabi posted:

So you just leave the trading paints program running in the background and it will sync paint schemes? Or am I being stupid. Some guy who claimed to have a trading paints scheme when I asked, turned out to have something that looked identical to a browser skin. So I don't think it worked.

It seems to be less than immediate, but yes that's worked for me. I've seen other TP skins on other players.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Sorry, doubleposting because I have a question regarding race etiquette. I would have posted this as a short video clip, but that's not an easy thing to extract. So instead, please examine this sequence of screenshots:

1.) Here I am (#15 car, the one in front) in 5th place followed by the #13 car, the one following. This is on Lanier. He is in 6th place and he is just now making a move for 5th. Until the corner I hadn't seen him in my rearview because a couple laps earlier he had run afoul of the 1st place car who was lapping him. Happily for 1st, he did a complete 360 and ended up pointing the right way down the track, so he didn't lose too much. At this point I hit about 72 at the top of the track and had lifted off to make the apex.

2.) You can see how much faster than I am he's going by the fact that we aren't much further down the track and he's basically up my rear end. He appears to want to dive to the outside, but he punches the back right of my bumper which causes the next frame.

3.) He pushes my nose into the wall and I'm forced to brake to avoid hitting it. Meanwhile he gets away unscathed and takes 5th place from me. It's late in the race, so I am unable to retake it.

So I have 2 questions here.

First, I took the inside line pretty early here. I know you're supposed to yield the inside to lapping cars, but are you supposed to do so for cars fighting you for position? I was watching him in my rearview and it looked like he barely lifted off at all to enter the corner, so my thought was his speed would take him high anyway. What I want to know is am I in the wrong here for taking the inside line?

Second, if I'm not in the wrong, how mad should I be at this fucker? I've watched it a number of times and it really looks like he's angling for the PIT maneuver.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Torabi posted:

Once it downloads the paints (if you watch this as you're loading into the room it will show progress), it needs to reload textures for all the cars. It is supposed to do this automatically but sometimes it doesn't work; you can manually trigger it with ctrl + r (all the cars will go white while it loads).

e: on your incident - it's tough to get a feel for the full deal without video but to me it looks like an accident. He probably thought he could follow you through the corner then get you on the exit but he got surprised by the speed difference. I'm sure it could be read differently though, if you have the replay file or a video it might be clearer.

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Overwined posted:

So I have 2 questions here.

First, I took the inside line pretty early here. I know you're supposed to yield the inside to lapping cars, but are you supposed to do so for cars fighting you for position? I was watching him in my rearview and it looked like he barely lifted off at all to enter the corner, so my thought was his speed would take him high anyway. What I want to know is am I in the wrong here for taking the inside line?

Second, if I'm not in the wrong, how mad should I be at this fucker? I've watched it a number of times and it really looks like he's angling for the PIT maneuver.

First: You race your line when racing for position, period. The only protestable thing to do in that situation is to block, meaning to distinctly change your line in the middle of a straight/corner in order to prevent them from getting by. You were fine, he was driving over aggressively.

Second: It's hard to tell with just images and no video, but yeah, that's protestable if he basically ran you over.

• Locked thread