Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

For those who aren't aware, wheez the roux is parroting Greenwald et al's latest line of bullshit, attacking Warren for simultaneously being anti-Israel and being anti-Palestine.

EG: https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/490138373500469248

It's almost like people backed by multi billionaires will throw out any line possible to discredit someone who is taking the fight to them. :iiam:

Which multi-billionaires are backing Glenn Greenwald? George Soros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Which multi-billionaires are backing Glenn Greenwald? George Soros?

Pierre Omidyar.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's amazing how such a simple one-sided issue, providing cheaper healthcare to a wider variety of people, can make so many people so loving angry.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's amazing how such a simple one-sided issue, providing cheaper healthcare to a wider variety of people, can make so many people so loving angry.

The "got mine" part requires that other people not have anything.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

hobbesmaster posted:

The "got mine" part requires that other people not have anything.

And, many are very, very serious about the "gently caress you!" part of it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So if 'subsidies to State exchange users' can be so narrowly defined, does that mean the 'Statist' is one who wants a system with stronger State's rights? In that case I'm definitely opposed to Statists because we need a stronger central government and more consolidated regional states.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

McDowell posted:

So if 'subsidies to State exchange users' can be so narrowly defined, does that mean the 'Statist' is one who wants a system with stronger State's rights? In that case I'm definitely opposed to Statists because we need a stronger central government and more consolidated regional states.

It means only Louis XIV is eligible for subsidies.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Business Gorillas posted:

Nobody do this.
I've seen a lot of awful derails in this thread but this is definitely in the top 3.

drat this thread moved fast all of a sudden. I did start that derail yesterday, which is far from the most awful I've seen but still a derail. I didn't want to ignore Nintendo Kid's response but I'm gonna post it over in the Experimental D&D Chat thread where I should have put it in the first place. I apologize for the derail and my tardy response, and I humbly apologize to Nintendo Kid for calling him an idiot, that wasn't right of me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Detroit retirees voted to cut their pensions by about 5%, plus they stop matching inflation. :negative:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/7/22/detroit-retireespensioncutsok.html

Supreme court didn't hear appeal on Argentine debt, so we're still trying to extort them.
http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/7/argentina-debt-courtdecisiondefaultfinance.html

And Philly schools are on track to be run into the ground by privatization within a few years.
http://america.aljazeera.com/opinions/2014/7/education-schoolsbudgetcutsphiladelphiacorbett.html

Also we convicted one wall street dick but I won't hold my breath on many more joining him.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 23, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Surely that's an image macro criticizing the Republican's never ending attempts at throwing out meaningless buzzwords to distract from the actual political discourse?

Hah

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
A Richmond, VA paper posted up this Bob McDonnell Trial Activity Book on their site, with a "Help the Feds Make Their Case" wordsearch and a "Find the Anatabloc" I Spy game.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, in case you didn't notice the URL in the bottom right of that image, it was produced by Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC).

Meanwhile, Bob Barr, the man who impeached Bill Clinton, Libertarian candidate for President in 2008, and legal defender of Baby Doc Duvalier, was defeated in his Congressional comeback bid tonight, by a candidate running to his right.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

A Richmond, VA paper posted up this Bob McDonnell Trial Activity Book on their site, with a "Help the Feds Make Their Case" wordsearch and a "Find the Anatabloc" I Spy game.

Style weekly rules, and it's EVERYWHERE down here. Free too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Meh. I'm much more focused on domestic issues, where I think Warren would be fantastic and add a lot to the conversation. Because Israel is becoming an apartheid state (some would argue it is already there) they are a problematic ally, I agree. Also, American support has turned Israel into a violent client-state in the ME, which is also not that great. Those are all bad. But, Jews have been a long-time ally of the left-wing both in America and abroad. Israel has become a major wedge-issue, especially among older Jewish voters (who still remember Israel's precarious beginnings) and serves to drive the Jewish electorate rightwards.

Look a Lieberman. He was reliably pro-labor, pro-choice, pro-gay rights and while an ardent capitalist, he felt a strong social safety-net was the only way for a capitalist system to effectively operate. He certainly wasn't perfect, but on the issues I care most about he was, at worst, reasonable and was often pretty fantastic. His hawkish pro-Israel stance made his foreign policy pretty awful and it also poisoned some of his domestic issues (like spying, whistleblowing, etc.). I don't like those, but I can live with them. I don't want to undervalue their importance, they matter, but I'm more concerned about things like curbing the excesses of capitalism. Because of his foreign policy, Joe got pushed towards the Republicans and that tainted his domestic agenda. They whole thing is sad.

While it would be great to avoid total Pentagonization, right now I view the American political landscape from a triage-perspective so I'm willing to let my hands get bloodier internationally if it means cleaner hands domestically.

I know, I know, FYGM. It isn't that far a stretch from this to the crazies looking to shoot children. I'm aware of that and I try to be cautious. I'm not thrilled with the idea that dead Palestinians (and generations of Palestinians being kept in poverty) is the price we pay for keeping Florida a swing state, I'll take it. If it keeps a key demographic voting for Democrats, if not outright supporting leftist candidates while also keeping the Military-Industrial Complex and other financial overlords OK with the Democratic Party, well, that's a bitter pill I'll swallow. Not happy about it, but it is better than the alternative.

Even just limiting it to Senators, and not Representatives, you have Barbara Boxer, Ron Wyden, Al Franken, Bernard Sanders. Wautenburg was also around when he was around. All with better positives than Lieberman, and little to none of the negatives.

Lieberman is single-handedly responsible for denying Medicare to people over 55, and supported McCain for president.

This is your guy???

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

api call girl posted:

Personal anecdote time!

A an organization of roughly 300 employees that have healthcare coverage benefits, we self-insure and pay a BC/BS group to administer our coverage payout pool. We just locked in 2 years of no increases for our "HMO" plan and 6% increase for our "PPO" plan. This is in contrast to our previous yearly ~10% increase.

As far as I can tell, Obamacare is helping.

I'm sorry, but we're only interested in what you think or feel will happen. Actual data collection is boring and way more time consuming than just asking people with no expertise in either medical billing or economics the truthiness of the matter.

So, do you think your company will drop all benefits for employees and ride the pony of increased productivity, or do you feel like the IRS is going to send agents out to make the sweetest of love to your wife while reciting Obama speeches and staring you dead in the eye the whole time? Also, do you consider Obama to be the worst disaster to ever befall the United States, or just a run of the mill test from God to determine your Jobiness?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Republicans must be incompetent to not be able to get anything to stick to obvious criminal and known black, Barack Obama

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bush should challenge Obama to a shoe dodge off.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Republicans must be incompetent to not be able to get anything to stick to obvious criminal and known black, Barack Obama
I believe a significant part of their ever increasing rage a frothing incredulity that no one has been able to pin anything legit to Obama. Hence the desperate Benghazi poo poo.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I was under the impression that the point of dodgeball was to dodge the balls directed at you. Am I mistaken?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Meanwhile, Bob Barr, the man who impeached Bill Clinton, Libertarian candidate for President in 2008, and legal defender of Baby Doc Duvalier, was defeated in his Congressional comeback bid tonight

Well, yeah. The guy's a whack jo---

quote:

by a candidate running to his right

:stonklol:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chokes McGee posted:

Well, yeah. The guy's a whack jo---

:stonklol:

Things Bob Barr is good for:
- Laughing at your libertarian friends who talk about "voting on principle"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have a question for the thread: why is "leftist" a term that is accepted and used regularly in modern discourse, but no one ever talks about "rightists"?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So let's say that the SC rules 5-4 to gut the subsidies for fedrul exchanges. Does that mean people are still coerced into buying insurance, but can't have the tax credit to help them out? It's a pretty diabolical way to dismantle it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Peven Stan posted:

So let's say that the SC rules 5-4 to gut the subsidies for fedrul exchanges. Does that mean people are still coerced into buying insurance, but can't have the tax credit to help them out? It's a pretty diabolical way to dismantle it.

IANAL and such, but I think I remember reading that if no federal subsidies are available people are excused from paying the penalty.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

I have a question for the thread: why is "leftist" a term that is accepted and used regularly in modern discourse, but no one ever talks about "rightists"?

Because saying "rightist" makes you a leftist.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Because saying "rightist" makes you a leftist.

Trite! Good show. Seriously why is one term accepted and the other is completely absent from the vocabulary?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

IANAL and such, but I think I remember reading that if no federal subsidies are available people are excused from paying the penalty.

But that's still millions of folks who essentially lose their insurance. If that happens I hope at least that anger can be directed at the state capitols that have been fighting Obamacare from the get-go.

Chard posted:

Trite! Good show. Seriously why is one term accepted and the other is completely absent from the vocabulary?

Because Republicans are really good at that poo poo cf. "Death Tax".

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Chard posted:

Because the left sucks at the long game, part of which is influencing the terms of public discourse through language.

Jackson Taus posted:

But that's still millions of folks who essentially lose their insurance. If that happens I hope at least that anger can be directed at the state capitols that have been fighting Obamacare from the get-go.

Anything that is bad about the healthcare system is going to be directly attributed to the failures of Obamacare thanks to the right, while the left doesn't even tell the people signing up for Kynect that they're getting Obamacare because they were afraid of people refusing the insurance out of spite so no one is advertising its successes. A perfect microcosm of the above.

Dr.Zeppelin fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 23, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chard posted:

Because rightists doesn't come off the tongue as smoothly as the much more accurate term, fascists.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chard posted:

Because it's redolent of Maoism I suppose.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jackson Taus posted:

Right. But this is better than the situation where people are obligated to pay a penalty and also receive no subsidies. In that case the entire law would certainly be repealed.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus loving Christ Akin cannot shut the gently caress up.

quote:

Todd Akin continues to expand on his critical contributions to the discourse of rape and abortion rights while he promotes his book. While reiterating that he was not wrong to say, as he did in 2012, “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” he’s adding a new twist: On MSNBC’s Daily Rundown, Akin told Chuck Todd that a “number of people” on his staff were “conceived by rape.”

So which is it, Todd? Do female bodies magically prevent pregnancy from rape, or is rape so efficient at people production that it’s provided a significant number of staff members for you?…

Piecing it together, I think we get the full picture. Akin believes that “the female body” often prevents women from getting pregnant when raped, if these women are even telling the truth about getting raped to begin with. If you are one of those unlucky enough to be legitimately raped and impregnated, well, no legal abortion for you. But take comfort, legitimate rape victims: That baby you were forced to bear might get to work for a failed Senate candidate one day! So it all works out in the end.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Keep digging that hole Todd you'll find gold someday. Hopefully in the form of golden showers you gently caress stain.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Because the left sucks at the long game, part of which is influencing the terms of public discourse through language.
So was "rightist" a thing before Frank Luntz? I literally do not think I have ever heard it used in modern discourse. What am I missing here? And what's so bad about the term "leftist", exactly?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So was "rightist" a thing before Frank Luntz? I literally do not think I have ever heard it used in modern discourse. What am I missing here? And what's so bad about the term "leftist", exactly?

'Rightist' isn't a thing because no one on the left tried to make it a thing. You can replace it with any arbitrary word. Hell, Newt Gingrich had an entire phrasebook of terms designed to be used as a rhetorical cudgel. If anyone on the left does that they're doing a horrible job of it. Closest things I can think of are 'regressive' and 'forced-birth' and even those pretty much don't make it very far outside the blogs.

There's nothing inherently bad about the term 'leftist' unless you successfully create a negative association with 'the left' which hoo boy did they do a good job of that one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Leftist is a thing because people on the left identify as being "the Left" whereas people on the right are basically "everyone who's not the Left" so they commonly identify with being separate subgroups (ie, Evangelicals, Capitalists, fascists, etc).

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

computer parts posted:

Leftist is a thing because people on the left identify as being "the Left" whereas people on the right are basically "everyone who's not the Left" so they commonly identify with being separate subgroups (ie, Evangelicals, Capitalists, fascists, etc).

Though 'conservative' has become enough of a brand name to get most of the disparate right-wing groups to self-identify with it. Thanks to a couple of decades of rhetorical armor, it's not going to be thought of as a pejorative term for a long time. Obviously there are group dynamics in play in terms of how each group views the world and approaches society, but I can't imagine a left-wing Frank Luntz getting conservatives to run from that label to the extent to which the Democrats started punching hippies in the 80s.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

DemeaninDemon posted:

Keep digging that hole Todd you'll find gold someday.
He's already found the gold, he's not trolling around on a book tour for kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Shageletic posted:

Even just limiting it to Senators, and not Representatives, you have Barbara Boxer, Ron Wyden, Al Franken, Bernard Sanders. Wautenburg was also around when he was around. All with better positives than Lieberman, and little to none of the negatives.

Lieberman is single-handedly responsible for denying Medicare to people over 55, and supported McCain for president.

This is your guy???

I agree, all those people are better than Lieberman. So what? My point is not that Lieberman is perfect (I thought I made that clear but let me stress that point: Lieberman is a piece of human garbage). My point is that, despite being a piece of garbage, Lieberman agreed with me or at least was positioned to advanced issues I care about. You named some fantastic people, but you also named 5 people. I'd love the flexibility of saying "gently caress everybody who isn't me" but I'm willing to tolerate some heterodoxy.

As for Lieberman's hardcore swing to the right, did you read what I wrote? You have an ardent defender of labor rights loving with Medicare and supporting McCain. Why? Because his insane foreign policy influenced his domestic policy. To the point where he was 100% willing to throw away all of his domestic platform to support the foreign platform he cares more about. All I'm saying is, "Hey, Joe, I'll take your pro-choice, pro-labor, pro-gay, pro-women stance. If I have to kill some Palestinians, well, I'd rather not but I'll look the other way."

Would I prefer an anti-revisionist Communist?

ABSOLUTELY!

But that ain't happening. So, if I have to accept that I'm drinking the blood of children, I want some tangible good to come from it. I can love the New Deal while recognizing that racism is an inseparable part of it. I hate that racism. I hate the compromises that FDR had to make with the South. Despite that I love the New Deal.

Joe ain't no new New Deal. But if you can only name 5 Senators that are better than him, well, I'm willing to compromise pretty heavily until I have at least a caucus of 15.

• Locked thread