Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

please do, or at least PM me, because i went to high school with Ben Finch and i hate his guts (as i've likely implied in previous posts)

Also: TERRIBLE BEER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trouzorz
Feb 24, 2009

Ubik posted:

Don't get me started on the horror stories I've heard from Finch's and Two Brothers.

funkybottoms posted:

please do, or at least PM me, because i went to high school with Ben Finch and i hate his guts (as i've likely implied in previous posts)

Seconded, with regard to Two Brothers. They probably account for 50% of my beer purchases and I would prefer to drink ethically given the option.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

crazyfish posted:

Tater Ridge...well, all I can say is, I really don't want to drink it at all. Really, really don't like this one bit.

So far, the best showings of the whole box have been Cigar City, Firestone Walker, and Russian River. Have yet to dig into Bell's, Ninkasi, Ballast Point, or New Glarus. Saving the possible best for last, I guess.

I was going to drink Tater Ridge as my chili making beer and after taking one sip, I dumped it into my chili. It tastes considerably better once you cook most of it off and then mix it with meat, veggies and tomatoes.

Cigar City, Bell's and whichever brewery did the milk stout are probably the top 3. I have just the Allagash left but it is sounding like that one is just middling. The NG was probably the most disappointing of the bunch for me, which I think I mentioned earlier.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Compusaurus posted:

I was going to drink Tater Ridge as my chili making beer and after taking one sip, I dumped it into my chili. It tastes considerably better once you cook most of it off and then mix it with meat, veggies and tomatoes.

Cigar City, Bell's and whichever brewery did the milk stout are probably the top 3. I have just the Allagash left but it is sounding like that one is just middling. The NG was probably the most disappointing of the bunch for me, which I think I mentioned earlier.

New Glarus' beers that aren't fruit-based or sour are pretty mediocre. I'm not shocked that their English Bitter isn't great.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Josh Wow posted:

Unfortunately I can't speak to how the collab recipes are made since I'm not a part of that process. From what I understand they reached out to each brewery asking if they wanted to participate in the variety pack then brainstormed ideas. From there they did pilot batches of the beers out in Chico then tweaked those recipes to come up with the final batches.

This is pretty much how it went down, from what Luke at Wicked Weed told me (he went out to Chico to represent the Asheville Brewers)

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

a worthy uhh posted:

New Glarus' beers that aren't fruit-based or sour are pretty mediocre. I'm not shocked that their English Bitter isn't great.

See, and I absolutely love Spotted Cow and Moon Man. I think they're pretty much perfect. Simple, but great.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

MunchE posted:

I haven't had much I liked from them, so I am skeptical sir

They've gone through about five head brewers since they opened. Two or maybe three of them were worth a poo poo. The guy who did good dark beers (like their German Chocolate Cake Stout) moved on and now works at the newly-opened Bad Beat Brewing (which unsurprisingly has a very solid import stout). The current brew staff is pretty good, and Citra Rye is the head brewer's homebrew recipe competently scaled up. It's no West Coast tongue-destroying hop bomb, but it is a very tasty rye ale with significant single hop character.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Trouzorz posted:

Seconded, with regard to Two Brothers. They probably account for 50% of my beer purchases and I would prefer to drink ethically given the option.

Thirded.

:confused:

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

Moon Man is a great pale ale and Dancing Man Wheat is one of the best bottled Hefeweizens you can get. Their 20th anniversary strong ale was pretty solid as well. I'm not a huge Black IPA fan but Black Top is probably one of the best out there. Granted, Spotted Cow, Two Woman, Naked ale and the other year round ones are pretty mediocre but I would never say that all they do well is sour / fruit beers.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 22, 2014

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I forget specifics, but I have heard a number of beer reps and a couple past employees complain to high heaven about how much Two Brothers sucks as a company and the people running it are assholes.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Any recommendations on places to drink/buy beer for a Chicagoan traveling to Pittsburgh for work? Does Russian River make to to Pittsburgh or is that just Philly?

Was thinking about doing a few at Fat Head's at some point, but would love some tips on what I should be on the lookout for, hidden gems, etc.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Russian River pretty much just makes it to Philly and the immediate suburbs. Occasionally stuff will make it somewhere a couple hours away but that's pretty rare. AFAIK Russian River targets specific cities for their distribution outside of CA. So we get quite a bit, but not enough that there's enough for the whole state.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Josh, thanks for all the info on the Beer Camp pack. All the logistics around it make a lot more sense on bottling dates now. And the Chico King I had last night was still pretty tasty.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Just scored the last Beer Camp box in the store closest to my office (in Southwestern CT). Definitely am looking forward to trying all these.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm liking Terrapin's Hi-5 IPA. It feels refreshing like I'm drinking a 4.5% session beer, but it's actually almost 6%. Tropical and punchy, it goes down too easy.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I'm so glad it's July. It's the perfect time to buy some Great Lakes Christmas Ale!
http://tuscarawas.craigslist.org/for/4581087859.html

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

IIRC that Great Lakes Christmas beer suffers greatly from coca-cola-itis.

cream of the clop
Sep 24, 2005

serious duck
I haven't posted in this thread before but my brother works at the Half-Pints brewery in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I don't realize how spoiled I am when it comes to free beer. Anyone here ever hear of 'em? I don't think they ship too far.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

ChickenArise posted:

I'm liking Terrapin's Hi-5 IPA. It feels refreshing like I'm drinking a 4.5% session beer, but it's actually almost 6%. Tropical and punchy, it goes down too easy.

Yeah it's one of my favorite beers of this year. It's got a strong and firm bitterness from start to finish with grapefruit, mango and oranges and a clean crisp malt backing. I've drank a case since it arrived in NJ.

As for the Christmas Ale, lol trying to get $75 per case.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

This was one of those months, being a nerd was horrifyingly expensive.

I had 4 mail trades. Bottle shop got crazy stuff in. Friends went to VT and MA and brought stuff back..
My 2 friends who has RS memberships had a Gray Monday for me...

The amount of cash I put out this month was ridiculous.

Vertigo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 22, 2014

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Found a shop that still has Love Child #4. Is $23 about right for that or is that a gouge? I honestly can't remember what I paid for LC3 last year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Valencia posted:

Found a shop that still has Love Child #4. Is $23 about right for that or is that a gouge? I honestly can't remember what I paid for LC3 last year.

That's kinda steep IMO. I think I paid somewhere between $16 and $18 and that wasn't at a super cheap store.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Since I failed at cellar raid day last week (not that I didn't do it, but that I opened something that I poured out almost immediately), I'm making up for it this week.

Last week I opened a 1997 Sam Adams Triple Bock. The stories are true. It is VILE. It tasted like Tamari and molasses had a baby. It was thicker than cough syrup, and left a solid brown sludge on the side of the bottle. I sipped it twice to see if I was missing something and poured it out.

Tonight, I opened a 2010 Rivertown Lambic, and it's very good, if a little one dimensional. Champagne-like effervescence, lemon and cider vinegar scent, very light and refreshing, slight acetone finish, but all in all a really excellent and easy drinking lambic, but like I said pretty simple. Also, the cork had rotted and was a pain to get out.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

BoredByThis posted:

Last week I opened a 1997 Sam Adams Triple Bock. The stories are true. It is VILE. It tasted like Tamari and molasses had a baby. It was thicker than cough syrup, and left a solid brown sludge on the side of the bottle. I sipped it twice to see if I was missing something and poured it out.

:stare:

The only time I've ever had this beer was in 2006... eight years ago. It was the same soy sauce syrup mess then, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better with age.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
I think I supplied you with that beer in 2006 at Dark Lord Day.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Docjowles posted:

That's kinda steep IMO. I think I paid somewhere between $16 and $18 and that wasn't at a super cheap store.

I thought so. I think this is the one shop in town left that actually still has it so they might be charging accordingly.

Instead I bought their last bottle of Dragon's Milk with toasted chiles. This is goddamned amazing, probably one of the best chile beers I've had. Lots of heat that builds up the more you drink. This is up there with the Green Flash Serrano chile stout IMO.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

a worthy uhh posted:

This might be the worst opinion that anyone has ever espoused in this thread. They make some of the best wheat beers on the planet, their lagers and IPAs are also generally very good, even stuff like their Orval clone R&D beer is excellent. NG is one of the best breweries in America, period.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

This might be the worst opinion that anyone has ever espoused in this thread. They make some of the best wheat beers on the planet, their lagers and IPAs are also generally very good, even stuff like their Orval clone R&D beer is excellent. NG is one of the best breweries in America, period.

Scream IIPA brother...so good.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Agree with your opinion on NG, but I've seen worse opinions than NG being mediocre. NG doesn't make beer nerd beers as their main lines; they like mostly doing classic German styles brought to locals at ridiculously good prices (name another craft brewery that prices all their 6 packs at like $25/case like NG does) while also having the drive to experiment and produce some of the best fruit beers on the planet. Not all their beers appeal to everyone, but they're one of the most regarded breweries for a reason.

On that note, I drank the NG bitter from the beer camp pack, and I would have liked more bitterness but the malt character was quite nice. The Bell's dark ale I have open now tastes like a roasty quad and is probably the best thing I've tested from the box so far.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ubik posted:

:stare:

The only time I've ever had this beer was in 2006... eight years ago. It was the same soy sauce syrup mess then, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better with age.

I'll go to my grave that the 1994 I had at a tasting about 2 years ago was actually excellent. I still have a bottle...

Valencia posted:

High. In previous years, I woulda been, "BUT WORTH IT!" but LC4 is... one note. The sourness is taking over and it's not benefiting the beer. Almost zero barrel this year.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Shut up YOUR face.

Seriously, I don't get the overwhelming love of NG. I think it's awesome that Wisconsonites take pride in drinking it and it's everywhere up there. I think it's awesome that they do fun stuff on the side while still making the general populace happy with their Spotted Cow and such. And I think Wild Sour is amazing (and getting better), their Berliner is the best I've ever had, WI-Belgian Red is a nice tart cherry, and their other fruit beers are good in small doses.

But if you're not finding local beers that are as good if not better to their regular lineup or a majority of their seasonals, you're just not trying. And while I haven't had Scream yet, their IIPA is straight up loving gross.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Found a place that can get me New Holland Black Tulip. :dance:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Agree on LC4. It's still a really good beer but MAN is it sour up front. It hit me like a glass of pure lemon juice. The finish hints at the barrel complexity underneath it but I feel like it could have been so much better if the sourness was dialed back like 20%.

Disclaimer: 4 is the only one I've had. Was never able to track down the other releases.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Yeah for real. No one on this earth would ever say Dancing Man or Moon Man were even mediocre unless they have broken palates.

Edit: Their Back 40 Bock is a world class bock, Coffee Stout is more than solid, their barley wine is good, and their imperial weizen is very interesting.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 23, 2014

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Agree on LC4. It's still a really good beer but MAN is it sour up front. It hit me like a glass of pure lemon juice. The finish hints at the barrel complexity underneath it but I feel like it could have been so much better if the sourness was dialed back like 20%.

Disclaimer: 4 is the only one I've had. Was never able to track down the other releases.

3 was pretty outstanding. 3 with age was even more outstandinger.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Thinking I might go down to the basement and toss a couple Moon Men in my fridge.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

BoredByThis posted:

oh, yeah, i drank one of those the other night, too, and i agree that it was pretty loving terrible.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

danbanana posted:

But if you're not finding local beers that are as good if not better to their regular lineup or a majority of their seasonals, you're just not trying. And while I haven't had Scream yet, their IIPA is straight up loving gross.

The closest any distribution brewery in the entire southeast has come to making a very good traditional German wheat beer of any sort is probably Sweetwater Waterkeeper Hefeweizen. I live in Gainesville, Swamp Head's beers are not 1/10th as good as New Glarus's. CCB is obviously a world-class brewery, and their session beers with the exception of Invasion are not as good as the NG stuff, as much as I like Cracker, Minaret, and Hotter than Helles. Basically anything Terrapin makes that isn't a coffee stout or a milk stout is completely underwhelming or a one-off gimmick IPA that's tasty but not worthy of revisiting. Rapp makes really good German stuff but he doesn't have any distribution and is over 100 miles away from me. There are no breweries in Michigan that make beers like the ones New Glarus specializes in that are anywhere near as good as the New Glarus equivalents.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Valencia posted:

I paid $9 a bottle.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
As a guy who was in pretty good shape about a year and a half ago before I got into craft beer heavily, and let myself flab up for that and other reasons, this article helps make me feel a tad bit better.

A Lifter's Guide to Alcohol

I've started more seriously getting back into lifting and trying to track my food intake and shape up, but really don't want to try and just break completely from beer. I have too much stocked up and just love it too drat much. It's of course one article put together by one person and there are probably contradicting opinions, but by god I'll take it and continue to enjoy my beer or two in the evening after working out. It's not optimal but that's what I'm gonna go with for now.

:cheers: to deadlifts and double IPAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Patrick Rue was on a podcast talking about Terreux: http://beergeekradio2.podomatic.com/entry/2014-07-21T11_51_36-07_00

Pretty softball all around - the interesting bits are that they're keeping the Reserve/Hoarder's Societies unified, and that they are planning for it to have several new year-round beers specific to Terreux, along with separate location tasting rooms that act as 75/25 splits (so Bruery TR would be 75% Bruery, 25% Terreux and vice versa).