Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'd like to keep playing magic online, but unless they improve the v4 client's performance a lot, I probably can't. My crappy laptop can barely handle it. I tried drafting the other day and there would be a 5-10 second lag after doing nearly anything, which needless to say made things very hard. Not to mention that it wouldn't let me submit my deck, telling me to relog, after which I was out of time and had to play with 80 cards. The client lagged so bad that I couldn't even sideboard into a normal deck in time. I've tried v4 when it was still beta and it was always usable despite being bad, but the one time I've tried it since v3 was retired was unusably bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Cool! Was it the Borborygmos/Enter the Infinite brew that was floating around about 6 months ago?

I would love the list for this. There is nothing I don't enjoy about throwing all my lands at my opponents face. :allears: :japan:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I would love the list for this. There is nothing I don't enjoy about throwing all my lands at my opponents face. :allears: :japan:

^^^ Sorry, it was a standard deck, not a modern deck.

The list varied a bunch from what I saw. I had a RUG brew that just would ramp with Elvish Mystics, Sylvan Caryatids and Satyr Hedonists until it could stick a Possibility Storm. Then I would spam Molten Births hoping I would hit an Enter the Infinite. Molten Births are good here because if you dig into one there's a 50/50 chance you'll have another sorcery to cast next turn, and it gives you chump blockers while you try to combo off.

Once you hit your Enter the Infinite, you draw up all your cards, and it's very important to put your single copy of Borborygmos on top of your library as part of the resolution of the spell. Next, simply cast out any low-mana cost creature (Elvish Mystic), which, due to Possibility Storm, should morph into Borborygmos. Then simply ditch all your lands for MAXIMUM LIGHTNING BOLTS.

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 23, 2014

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

North Carolina is pretty close to my area, no wonder people around here were so worried about them.

I wonder if the hologram on M15 card face rares/mythics was a reaction to the counterfeits, or a proactive one that just happened to coincidentally line up with some of the biggest counterfeiting news in years.

And yeah, I love the Asian metagame's wacky decks when a new set comes out. I love the Asian metagame in general; the most fun Standard decks I've played have been some Chinese/Japanese one-shot breakout hit that barely squeaked into top 8.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

Innovative features such as holofoil stamps like what Yu-Gi-Oh cards have had for ages now. :v:

Or what Upper Deck baseball had decades ago.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zorak posted:

Here was the deck list:
[fixed]
* Top 8 *

Tonouchi Keita

1《羽ばたき飛行機械/Ornithopter》

4《吹き荒れる潜在能力/Possibility Storm》

Some of those names seem really... long in Japanese. Ornithopter is like Feather-Tailed Flying Machine or something (I would have guessed 'feather duster' for the first half if given it without context) and I barely know where to start on Possibility Storm, though the second half is Potential Ability; it's not a direct Storm of Possibility or anything as best I can tell. Is this normal for Japanese cards?

Prism fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 23, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Prism posted:

Some of those names seem really... long in Japanese. Ornithopter is like Feather-Tailed Flying Machine or something (I would have guessed 'feather duster' for the first half if given it without context) and I don't even know where to start on Possibility Storm. Is this normal for Japanese cards?

Yeah, I think there are definitely some oddities with Japanese card-naming. Famously, Falkenrath Aristocrat and Falkenrath Noble had the exact same name in Japanese.

But as I see Ornithopter, it looks more like "Flappy Flying Machine" (羽ばたき coming from the verb 羽ばたく = to flap [one's wings]) which is super :kimchi:.

Possibility Storm looks like "Devastating Potential."

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 23, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Snacksmaniac posted:

Or what Upper Deck baseball had decades ago.
Or that Hasbro used for transformers in the 80s even

Bit disappointed they aren't full on rubsigns because I think that would be radical and/or tubular

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
mono red burn in modern is so fun. Eidolon is such a cheap loving spell. I smashed a combo elves player and a bw tokens player.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah, I think there are definitely some oddities with Japanese card-naming. Famously, Falkenrath Aristocrat and Falkenrath Noble had the exact same name in Japanese.

But as I see Ornithopter, it looks more like "Flappy Flying Machine" (羽ばたき coming from the verb 羽ばたく = to flap [one's wings]) which is super :kimchi:.

I'll buy that. I didn't recognize the verb, but recognized 'feather', and then google searched "ばたき" (without 羽 even) and got feather dusters, so I figured it was just a thing.

I did know about the Noble/Aristocrat thing but wasn't sure if they had other odd names. I don't read Japanese clearly enough to tell. (I know some of the German ones are really fun to say, though.)

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

Most of those frustrations are things you've never know about if you didn't play V3.

Watching Kibler, he's just being a huge baby too - the opponent conceded a match and he started whining that he couldn't get to the next screen despite all the dudes on the side telling him to close the window like a normal person. He's also complaining that the rooms aren't full when he wants to play, which isn't, you know, directly a problem with the client.

Watch his latest video on SCG and check out the comments, too (calling him out on being a gigantic baby). He spends most of the recording time mocking every single minute detail of the client - including being dead wrong about several things. He had drafted a Broodmate Dragon and later added a Garruk, Caller of Beasts to the mix (both 6 mana cards) and then yelled at v4 for placing them both in the same mana cost pile, accusing the client of not being able to do math properly. :psyduck:

Later, he kept mashing his Garruk trying to activate its ability but couldn't because Mogg War Marshal's ability was still on the stack, only he was too oblivious to notice that and decided to just scream at the client for treating his planeswalker like it was summoning sick.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I think there's a false advertising case there.

Unless it's EDH and the devastation is to your friendships.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Prism posted:

I'll buy that. I didn't recognize the verb, but recognized 'feather', and then google searched "ばたき" (without 羽 even) and got feather dusters, so I figured it was just a thing.

I did know about the Noble/Aristocrat thing but wasn't sure if they had other odd names. I don't read Japanese clearly enough to tell. (I know some of the German ones are really fun to say, though.)

One of the ones I remember off the top of my head is that Gifts Ungiven's Japanese name (けちな贈り物) translates to "Miserly Gift." So, y'know, it's given, it's just a crappy present.

"Oh, uh... another Unburial Rites and Elesh Norn. How... thoughtful. Thank you."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Later, he kept mashing his Garruk trying to activate its ability but couldn't because Mogg War Marshal's ability was still on the stack, only he was too oblivious to notice that and decided to just scream at the client for treating his planeswalker like it was summoning sick.

Why would he think a planeswalker he didn't cast during his own upkeep was summoning sick

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Prism posted:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

rabidsquid posted:

Why would he think a planeswalker he didn't cast during his own upkeep was summoning sick
clearly its modos fault fuckin v4!!!!!!

He's probably so uncomfortable to the shift and doesn't want to learn it, so he's probably gonna blame anything on the new client.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Isn't Chapin also involved with Solforge?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Fellow goons, I have the possibility of trading my new chords of calling for old ones since a guy at my LGS likes the new art, with me throwing a few cards in as collateral, but is this worth it? Will old chords keep their value now that the new one has been reprinted?

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Samael posted:

Fellow goons, I have the possibility of trading my new chords of calling for old ones since a guy at my LGS likes the new art, with me throwing a few cards in as collateral, but is this worth it? Will old chords keep their value now that the new one has been reprinted?

Original printings almost always keep their value better than new ones, outside of some weird poo poo like From the Vaults or other alt-art promos (and, apparently, Modern Masters - all of the big-value MM cards I'm looking at are selling for almost the exact same as their old versions). Thoughtseize, for instance, is currently going for $16 for the Theros one and $33 for the Lorwyn one, both prices TCG mid. This seems to be especially true with new art. Mutavault, which kept the old art, is going for $20 for the M14 one and $26 for the Morningtide one. Stifle (new art) is going for $9 with the Conspiracy printing, $22 for Scourge.

You're almost definitely good doing this trade, provided those other thrown-in cards aren't anything nuts.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

neetengie posted:

clearly its modos fault fuckin v4!!!!!!

He's probably so uncomfortable to the shift and doesn't want to learn it, so he's probably gonna blame anything on the new client.

I'm going to call Kibler being secretly on commission from WOTC to run a false flag operation aimed at discrediting legitimate criticisms of the new client.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Minority Deport posted:

Original printings almost always keep their value better than new ones, outside of some weird poo poo like From the Vaults or other alt-art promos (and, apparently, Modern Masters - all of the big-value MM cards I'm looking at are selling for almost the exact same as their old versions). Thoughtseize, for instance, is currently going for $16 for the Theros one and $33 for the Lorwyn one, both prices TCG mid. This seems to be especially true with new art. Mutavault, which kept the old art, is going for $20 for the M14 one and $26 for the Morningtide one. Stifle (new art) is going for $9 with the Conspiracy printing, $22 for Scourge.

You're almost definitely good doing this trade, provided those other thrown-in cards aren't anything nuts.

Thanks for the quick answer and it isn't really, just a doom engine and set foil soul of zendikar I pulled and the original garruk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I'd like to keep playing magic online, but unless they improve the v4 client's performance a lot, I probably can't. My crappy laptop can barely handle it. I tried drafting the other day and there would be a 5-10 second lag after doing nearly anything, which needless to say made things very hard. Not to mention that it wouldn't let me submit my deck, telling me to relog, after which I was out of time and had to play with 80 cards. The client lagged so bad that I couldn't even sideboard into a normal deck in time. I've tried v4 when it was still beta and it was always usable despite being bad, but the one time I've tried it since v3 was retired was unusably bad.

You need to submit on a refund for that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Came you guys think of any funny card alters for Chandra, Pyromaster? I'm out of ideas after like, shades over her gogglesso she has, double shades.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

Came you guys think of any funny card alters for Chandra, Pyromaster? I'm out of ideas after like, shades over her gogglesso she has, double shades.

Human Torch.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Speaking of art, I try to tell the story of Magic art using only card images.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Its weird that the modern version of Lord of the Pit actually changes the functionality of the card by refusing to allow you to sacrifice Lord of the Pit to Lord of the Pit.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

You rear end in a top hat, now I'm mad about slivers again. They used to be so cool, dammit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Minority Deport posted:

You rear end in a top hat, now I'm mad about slivers again. They used to be so cool, dammit.

I was let down by the M15 slivers which they promised would be somewhat of a return to form. They maybe look marginally more like the originals but really no better than M14's.

(save for the Hive land which just features plain ol' regular slivers)

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Isn't there a "modern" version of Shivan dragon you could have used? Also an old art Akroma? Oh, you were going for actual artists for that one.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 23, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Minority Deport posted:

And now they're cooler AND have thumbs. Kick rear end.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

I was let down by the M15 slivers which they promised would be somewhat of a return to form. They maybe look marginally more like the originals but really no better than M14's.

(save for the Hive land which just features plain ol' regular slivers)

The worst part is not even changing the art on the Sliver token... and using the horrible new token frame :(

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Its weird that the modern version of Lord of the Pit actually changes the functionality of the card by refusing to allow you to sacrifice Lord of the Pit to Lord of the Pit.

They changed that in Revised, and they've had a policy of not undoing errata that reprints gave cards.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I think a big shift in the card art happened when digital art became viable (more common? easier?) and you can see the traditional painting and drawings give way to digital where you can make a massive sized canvas and work on things on such a minute scale compared to brush and pen. Unfortunately with this shift in medium also comes more cheesecake, that Liliana for instance.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen this before, it's great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I, for one, can't wait until Sphinx's Revelation rotates out. Talk about an overexposed card.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can someone point me to a great sealed tourney deck building primer video? I'm playing with some friends this weekend who have never done sealed format and I want to point them to something that will explain BREAD and how to build a decent deck for sealed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

That's definitely one of the ones I was thinking of, even though it just means exactly the same thing as the English card name.

As an added bonus, it is pronounced close to the way you are hoping it is. (Lighter on the r sound.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 23, 2014

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm apparently 13 and need one.

Where would I even buy it? Unless my searching is bad I don't see one on CFB or SCG.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm partial to my Waldesbibliotek. It fits my sideboard Catene de Mefistofeles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

So just to be sure that I've got the overall message straight... "While the floor on art quality has gone way up, it's unfortunately been accompanied by a general decrease in really stylized cards, and the occasional questionable decision like LotV and new Slivers. Great art exists in all eras, though."

• Locked thread