Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

threeskin posted:

I bought some keys for Counter Strike GO and unboxed:

Live the dream Goon, still hasn't happened to me after 100+ openings :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

djfooboo posted:

Live the dream Goon, still hasn't happened to me after 100+ openings :saddowns:

Explain this to the unwashed plebs that haven't played a CS game since 1.6 (and a little bit of Source)... is this knife like uber fancy?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Vrikkian posted:

Explain this to the unwashed plebs that haven't played a CS game since 1.6 (and a little bit of Source)... is this knife like uber fancy?

I just did a bit of googling and it apparently sells for an average of ~$150 :stare:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, last time I played counter strike you used guns.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Counterstrike has a collecting aspect to it now where you get various items for playing the game. A large percentage of these items are not weapons themselves but crates you can then buy a key to unlock. When you unlock a crate you have a chance to get an item from the list of items that crate has with it or.... "an exceedingly rare item" which includes knives and "stat track" weapons, which track your kills with that weapon on a little LED display on the gun.

By getting a stat-tracked knife he basically won the lottery.

Here's a screenshot of me winning some lovely AUG

I just sell the crates for whatever they're worth (anywhere from $0.03 to $4.00)

edit: Content!

Picking this up tomorrow!

SpartanIvy has a new favorite as of 03:52 on Jul 22, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So the game is you pay american dollars for the chance of getting a knife with a LCD screen?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Actually on the knives it's not an LED screen, it's an engraved number on the blade like so

But yes, pay real money (not just american!) and then you get a tiny slim chance of getting a fake knife that tracks your body count. Each key is $2.50 so in the previous post when that guy says hes opened 100+ crates without a knife, he's saying he's spent around $250+ for nothing. Most guns you get are available for a few cents they are so common. Nice guns go for a few bucks. Stat tracked can get kind of pricey but only AWPs and Knives get insane.

More content, bought these for CS:GO, and now I can hear EVERYTHING.

SpartanIvy has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Jul 22, 2014

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
It sounds ridiculous, but you spend the first 10 hours you play the game thinking "that's stupid", then you start to think "dammit I should buy a key". It's like loot in Diablo, completely intangible and obviously so, but super tempting.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yea I'll admit I've dropped a few bucks on it here and there, but most of that I made from selling the vast majority of the crates I've won. I mostly unlocks sticker capsules because stickers on my guns are cool, and are only $1 to open :c00l:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

SpartanIV posted:

Actually on the knives it's not an LED screen, it's an engraved number on the blade like so

But yes, pay real money (not just american!) and then you get a tiny slim chance of getting a fake knife that tracks your body count. Each key is $2.50 so in the previous post when that guy says hes opened 100+ crates without a knife, he's saying he's spent around $250+ for nothing. Most guns you get are available for a few cents they are so common. Nice guns go for a few bucks. Stat tracked can get kind of pricey but only AWPs and Knives get insane.

Isn't it kind of stupid to have a constantly changing number be engraved on a knife? Wouldn't hash marks make a lot more sense?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Magic Underwear posted:

Isn't it kind of stupid to have a constantly changing number be engraved on a knife? Wouldn't hash marks make a lot more sense?

Its a videogame for teenaged boys to get their aggression out. Chill.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

psyopmonkey posted:

Its a videogame for teenaged boys to get their aggression out. Chill.

My verisimilitude :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gaggia Classic

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Henchman 21 posted:

Bought a bottle of this

And this fucker for $20

Tired of getting shot in the face by my 7 year old and having nothing to retaliate. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW YOU LITTLE poo poo?!?!

can we not overlook that this dad is getting drunk and endlessly shooting his child with nerf darts

Also, I got the new violent soho album because I'm an rear end in a top hat who likes songs that go yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Plus another one for the right foot.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Plus another one for the right foot.

While you're hangin' out in 2015, please snag me a self-drying jacket and hoverboard, TIA.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

You just throw it away and engrave a new knife.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Robawesome posted:

I just did a bit of googling and it apparently sells for an average of ~$150 :stare:

Actually it's over 200 bucks because it's StatTrack
:goonsay:

There are knives that sell for more money than Steam allows (~$400) and have to be handled through an escrow. People are crazy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For that much money you could get a really nice real knife. It wouldn't keep track of all the people you stabbed with it though, so I guess there's that.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For that much money you could get a really nice real knife. It wouldn't keep track of all the people you stabbed with it though, so I guess there's that.

For twenty dollars more it would :csgo:
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-290-01...06037314&sr=8-1

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
What headphones should I buy that won't break in like a month?

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Borommakott posted:

I like the Skullcandy 19 dollar ones at target. I get about 4 months out if them (but I run with them) so there's that.

these

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Rad Tad posted:

can we not overlook that this dad is getting drunk and endlessly shooting his child with nerf darts

I hope I'm that cool when I'm a dad :)

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Jigg posted:

Helping to give him his first #1 album.

Me too :) Heck, I pre-ordered it and I haven't even listened to it yet, but I'm still happy with my purchase.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

A Man and his dog posted:

A $10 four pack of these.
So. drat. Good.

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the DFH IPA's. Everyone raves about them but I find them a tad too sweet for my palate, not enough hops.
My Antonia, on the other hand :v

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Borommakott posted:

Sony MDR 7506. These have been my editing headphones for 10 years now and they are great:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E

But if you're looking for earbuds I don't know.

Ishamael has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Jul 22, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just got a new auto insurance policy from AmeriPrise through Costco. Saving a BUTTLOAD over Geico.

I got rid of my collision coverage, because I drive a beat-up 03 Corolla, so it's not needed, but even if I kept that, I'd be saving money.

Went from $370 per 6-month policy to $117. If I had kept everything exactly the same (which, as said, was just collision coverage with a $500 deductible,) it would have been ~$230.

Kept my comprehensive coverage, only because I live in a neighborhood where there's a greater than zero chance of my car getting broken into.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
To pick up on the headphone chat: Do you guys recommend any certain ones for running? I use the ones that come with the iphone and they sound good but they fall out of my ears all the time. I don't really like the ones that loop over your ears and would like to stay in the ear bud category. Also something fairly cheap, I'm using these for running not jamming out at home.

Thanks!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wirecutter.com recommends the Sol Republic Relays. I've been using them for a couple weeks now and they stay in the ear and sound good enough to me. They are earbuds so they don't completely block outside noise so it's safe to jog in them. They were $58 on Amazon when I bought it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ishamael posted:

Sony MDR 7506. These have been my editing headphones for 10 years now and they are great:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E

But if you're looking for earbuds I don't know.

These are pretty comparable to the MDR-V6's which are also great, and even the MDR-V600's were fantastic though now discontinued. I've mainly used them all for video editing but also got a pair at home for gaming and music. I use earbuds for short trips on the metro but any time I take a plane trip I bring them. It's worth the bulk.

Also in a few years if the pads start flaking off get the velour pads to replace them. Very comfy.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

MindlessHavok posted:

To pick up on the headphone chat: Do you guys recommend any certain ones for running? I use the ones that come with the iphone and they sound good but they fall out of my ears all the time. I don't really like the ones that loop over your ears and would like to stay in the ear bud category. Also something fairly cheap, I'm using these for running not jamming out at home.

Thanks!

I bought these last week and I've been to the gym with them 3 times. They've stayed in through running and every type of exercise machine they have.

Picked them up at Walmart for the same price Amazon has, 30 bucks.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

davebo posted:

These are pretty comparable to the MDR-V6's which are also great, and even the MDR-V600's were fantastic though now discontinued. I've mainly used them all for video editing but also got a pair at home for gaming and music. I use earbuds for short trips on the metro but any time I take a plane trip I bring them. It's worth the bulk.

Also in a few years if the pads start flaking off get the velour pads to replace them. Very comfy.

Ooh, I never thought of getting the velour pads, I just replaced the pads with the same type after about 5 years.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

Thanks!

These are the best for running, the longest rubber tips stay in but even if they didn't the memory wire that wraps around you ear keeps them from moving. Plus they're cheap and the sound quality is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics...eadphones+sport

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Borommakott posted:

I've become a fan of Shure headphones in the last couple of years - I use a pair of 840s for listening at home, and a pair of e215 earbuds. I like the neutral sound, they're comfortable, come with the standard accessories. My favourite thing about the e215s are that the ear cables are detachable. As the owner of two cockatiels who exist to poop and chew through wires, it's great that I don't have to toss out a pair of hundred-dollar earbuds because the cable broke; I just pick up a 30 dollar replacement on ebay.

I've used a mix of stuff over the years; Sony, then Sennheiser, then Monster (be quiet - I won them in a contest and I used them until they broke of their own volition a year and a half later), but these Shures are the first ones that I'd rebuy.

Edit: I can't suggest them for any kind of exercise - I don't use them when exercising, but apparently sweat can touch the contacts in the detachable cable and temporarily short them out.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

These are the best for running, the longest rubber tips stay in but even if they didn't the memory wire that wraps around you ear keeps them from moving. Plus they're cheap and the sound quality is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics...eadphones+sport

This is pretty much what I was looking for, thanks. Helps that they come in Orange too!

<<<

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.
We have made friends that are a considerable amount more outdoorsy than we have ever been so I had to catch up, otherwise we wouldn't have a place to sleep in this weekend:

Columbia Women's Fast Trek Ii Full Zip Fleece Jacket

Coleman Palmetto Cool-Weather Sleeping Bag

Wenzel Current Hiker Two-Person Tent

Black Diamond Cosmo Headlamp

I guess I couldn't avoid purchasing a fleece jacket in this lifetime. I will blend in with all the tourists so well!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

SpartanIV posted:

Picking this up tomorrow!

Praying to god PSA has more of these for sale later cuz I can't spend any money this summer thanks to multiple vacations.

Is that front bipod removable?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Action-Bastard posted:

Praying to god PSA has more of these for sale later cuz I can't spend any money this summer thanks to multiple vacations.

Is that front bipod removable?

I have no idea! I'm hoping to have time to pick it up tomorrow at which time I can get you an answer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Tulip Candy posted:

We have made friends that are a considerable amount more outdoorsy than we have ever been so I had to catch up, otherwise we wouldn't have a place to sleep in this weekend:

Columbia Women's Fast Trek Ii Full Zip Fleece Jacket

Coleman Palmetto Cool-Weather Sleeping Bag

Wenzel Current Hiker Two-Person Tent

Black Diamond Cosmo Headlamp

I guess I couldn't avoid purchasing a fleece jacket in this lifetime. I will blend in with all the tourists so well!

Spend some time at Steepandcheap.com to help catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

canyoneer posted:

Spend some time at Steepandcheap.com to help catch up.

It's a good and bad thing that I need the gear for this weekend and can't stock up with this website right now. The impulse shopping would be irresistible.