Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Basically every Cold War bomber and fighter type from the Western Bloc got some flight hours in, and IIRC there was only one air-to-air loss on the Coalition side. That guy must have been pretty embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah the highway of death was seen as bad. How far we have come.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

StandardVC10 posted:

That guy must have been pretty embarrassed.

Well, for a few seconds at least.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Somewhere I have a binder of Desert Storm trading cards.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I am spontaneously moved to vomit.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mauser posted:

I'm not sure if it happened at all prior to Desert Storm pt 1 but military censorship of the media was pretty great and war was sterilized for americans so all they saw was cool explosions, soldiers walking places tanks doing stuff and zero bodies.

Yeah, which was part of the genesis of this photo:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think that guy might be dead?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Nah he's fine. Just covered in a lot of mud is all.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

moller posted:

See if that thing burns.

Wait no don't do that. His eyes will just glow and the card will spew out fluorine.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

DemeaninDemon posted:

See if that thing burns.

Oh poo poo, you think it's me keeping him alive?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cafel posted:

I just finished up a month and a half American road trip from New York to LA for two people that came out to just a bit more than what Nintendo Kid's trip apparently cost. It's pretty easy if your only expense is cheap street food and gas. Lodging is definitely cheaper in Europe, but if you're on a road trip you can forgo paying for lodging and sleep in your car if you want to cut costs to the bone. Use YMCAs, applicable churches and rest and truck stops for showers. This recent road trip came out to quite a bit less than a similarly long trip in Europe I once took since the total price of gas for two came out to about the price of a cheap airline ticket for one and we slept in the car except for the few times we crashed on acquaintances couches.

Not to say that the American road trip is better or anything, but as long as you have a decent car going into it you can make it very cheap. Though I guess if you're the type of person who can very easily make friends you could couch surf across Europe and render the difference moot.

This guy knows what up. Anyone talking a flight to Europe as part of a cheap vacation is a loving bougie shitlord.

DemeaninDemon posted:

See if that thing burns.

Wait no don't do that. His eyes will just glow and the card will spew out fluorine.

Whatever you do, don't place nickelodeon gak anywhere near Cheney or a likeness thereof

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

moller posted:

I remember these, I think they're still in my parents' house somewhere. Gotta ask them to mail those down if they're still around.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ReindeerF posted:

D&D's biggest surprise will come when they find out that the minorities will do exactly that and not as some brilliant and complex implementation of re-distributive justice, but because they're greedy morons just like the rest of us. Human nature is a bitch and doesn't obey dramatic narrative.

:siren:HUMAN NATURE:siren:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

moller posted:

Edit: Three Kings is the best Iraq War I film.

this is 100% accurate, three kings is a fantastic film and one really one of our best war movies. i know people say it's impossible to make a war movie that doesn't glorify war or some poo poo but i don't think three kings glorifies war. the violence and combat in the movie is tragic, confusing, and senseless.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I protested the start of the recent Iraq war at age 17 because I thought it would be bad for the troops and I expected to become one soon. I was a militarist, a nationalist, and I was against the war for that reason.

I didn't mesh well with the ANSWER weirdos. I thought that the policies of the Bush administration that were "pro-American" were like the policies of Hitler that were pro-German, which lead to the ethnic cleansing of millions of Germans and the erasure of a thousand years of German history in Eastern Europe. I was pro-family, anti-immigration, everything else, and I went out onto the streets and blocked traffic and shouted into megaphones because I was against the Iraq War. Wholly and utterly. Where did I fit on the political spectrum?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I really just thought it wasn't constructive for the USA in general, hosed up our world hegemony, and would get a bunch of American soldiers killed for absolutely nothing. This is criticism from a person who was extreme right-wing at the time. It just didn't have any utility. But hey, it happened.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tony Jowns posted:

:siren:HUMAN NATURE:siren:
:siren:Other than like looney-tunes postmodernism/critical theory and pre-1970s looney-tunes behaviorism (and 2/3rds of D&D), everyone admits there is HUMAN NATURE. It is hard to look at history without seeing some patterns, and biology and psychology are essentially investigations of HUMAN NATURE.:siren:.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

cheerfullydrab posted:

I really just thought it wasn't constructive for the USA in general, hosed up our world hegemony, and would get a bunch of American soldiers killed for absolutely nothing. This is criticism from a person who was extreme right-wing at the time. It just didn't have any utility. But hey, it happened.

I'm not going to comment on where you would have fallen on the political spectrum but I distinctly remember thinking it was dumb as hell to start a second war especially considering this one seemed to come out of nowhere and even at the time felt like they were grasping for straws trying to convince everyone. Hindsight has completely justified everyone's suspicions of course, including fascist 17 year old you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

made of bees posted:

I'm too young to remember it and history classes never got anywhere near that recent, what was the deal with Desert Storm?

Sadam was like, "Hey, America, I'm totally gonna invade Kuwait and take all their oil." And then the American envoy was like, "Hmm, ok, whatever dude." And then Sadam invaded Kuwait and took all their oil so America bombed Iraq using every piece of military hardware it had (including a WWII battleship) and sent in ground forces to take back Kuwait, at which point George H.W. Bush figured that he'd done enough to justify the expansion of the DoD budget. Then there was a parade and a crippling sanctions regime that lasted over a decade.

The Shia and Kurdish uprising spinoffs weren't as exciting, but they really brought it all back for the reboot in the 2003.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We saved the democracy of Kuwait!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also Schwartzkopf pulled off a double envelopment which made military strategy guys hard.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

pangstrom posted:

:siren:Other than like looney-tunes postmodernism/critical theory and pre-1970s looney-tunes behaviorism (and 2/3rds of D&D), everyone admits there is HUMAN NATURE. It is hard to look at history without seeing some patterns, and biology and psychology are essentially investigations of HUMAN NATURE.:siren:.
aside from the fact that you're dismissing postmodernism as 'looney-tunes', human nature was clearly being used in a colloquial sense here and really had absolutely nothing to do with any scientific theory. if you're saying that 'yeah, here are some really, really basic observations which form the vague, nebulous mass that we call human nature' then well, shucks, you're right. but you're a big huge sperg to "correct" tony jowns here. you're being like that guy that says 'well, evolution is just a theory'

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
you can't change human nature, but you can change the systems and structures that we use to govern and limit it.

also my parents tell me that when desert storm was going down I was afraid that iraqi soldiers were gonna come attack our house in canada.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

R. Mute posted:

aside from the fact that you're dismissing postmodernism as 'looney-tunes', human nature was clearly being used in a colloquial sense here and really had absolutely nothing to do with any scientific theory. if you're saying that 'yeah, here are some really, really basic observations which form the vague, nebulous mass that we call human nature' then well, shucks, you're right. but you're a big huge sperg to "correct" tony jowns here. you're being like that guy that says 'well, evolution is just a theory'
When it comes to its denial of human nature, postmodernism is looney-tunes. (But my intention was to say "the looney tunes version of postmodernism" because I'm sure there's some strain that isn't as absolutist)

I like D&D, but like anything it has its flaws. Somebody earlier in the thread said something like "D&D = super-liberal white guys calling each other racist" which was pretty funny. This isn't as funny or as trenchant but "D&D = violently rejecting the notion that white people and minorities are fundamentally the same".

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 23, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

pangstrom posted:

When it comes to its denial of human nature, postmodernism is looney-tunes. (But my intention was to say "the looney tunes version of postmodernism" because I'm sure there's some strain that isn't as absolutist)

I like D&D, but like anything it has its flaws. Somebody earlier in the thread said something like "D&D = super-liberal white guys calling each other racist" which was pretty funny. This isn't as funny or as trenchant but "D&D = violently rejecting the notion that white people and minorities are fundamentally the same".

isn't absolutism pretty much the opposite of postmodern thought though?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Human nature is nonsense. I mean non sensical. Feral children don't walk out of the woods with culture.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

pangstrom posted:

i don't think tony jowns (or myself, for that matter, as i objected to human nature earlier in the thread) were objecting against reindeer's argument that all people are essentially the same (they are). the thing about reindeer's post i don't agree with are the claims that all humans are greedy morons and that this is because of some form of human nature. hell, if we are going to put that much credit in human nature, there have been enough studies that point out that humans are generally altruistic, rather than greedy.

but personally, i don't think human nature can really be found outside of lab settings and any explanations of real life events with 'oh, it's human nature' just smack of lazy thinking.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Exclamation Marx posted:

isn't absolutism pretty much the opposite of postmodern thought though?
Well it it's just a "we believe X but believe nothing" snake eating its tail then who cares. But, confession: I was just pre-empting some pedant's post about how some version of postmodernism allows for human nature for similar "who cares" reasons.

euphronius posted:

Human nature is nonsense. I mean non sensical. Feral children don't walk out of the woods with culture.
But they walk out of the woods as humans nonetheless :)

I don't want to ruin the thread arguing with 2/3rds (who largely mean well) of D&D with only 1/3rd (in which assholes are over-represented) on my side. I'm sure we've had a million human nature threads that I have avoided like the plague I will SIGH AS I DRAW MY KATANA in one of those if someone wants to make another one.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

R. Mute posted:

i don't think tony jowns (or myself, for that matter, as i objected to human nature earlier in the thread) were objecting against reindeer's argument that all people are essentially the same (they are). the thing about reindeer's post i don't agree with are the claims that all humans are greedy morons and that this is because of some form of human nature. hell, if we are going to put that much credit in human nature, there have been enough studies that point out that humans are generally altruistic, rather than greedy.

but personally, i don't think human nature can really be found outside of lab settings and any explanations of real life events with 'oh, it's human nature' just smack of lazy thinking.
The objection was that the words "human nature" were seen in the haram context of "white people aren't worse". Truly the non-laziest of thinking.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

pangstrom posted:

The objection was that the words "human nature" were seen in the haram context of "white people aren't worse". Truly the non-laziest of thinking.
i can't speak for tony jowns naturally, but you can't speak for me either. i drat well know what i was objecting to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hell yes evo psych.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pangstrom posted:

But they walk out of the woods as humans nonetheless :)

If you include "human nature" in human then no they are not.

Is a bee without a hive a bee?

No. It is chitinous material floating on the wind.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
do you even foucault?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

If you include "human nature" in human then no they are not.

Is a bee without a hive a bee?

No. It is chitinous material floating on the wind.

So you would deny a bee her essential beeness?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
p sure it's a bee

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

R. Mute posted:

aye this is what i was getting at, basically. the idea that the greedy, selfish and destructive habits which are common today, particularly among those in power, are due to "human nature" rather than a direct result of the culture in which those humans are raised and live their lives is nonsense - based on serious anthropological and sociological studies - and also the laziest way to respond to any progressive's argument about changing the way things currently work. The fact that things currently work for white men is to an extent coincidental, i wasn't trying to get on any 'noble savage' poo poo.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

*in the zizek voice* humannesh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

this is vulgar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

*while clearly aroused* yesh, vulgar, hnnn *wipes sweat*

• Locked thread