Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
For me, it'll always be the episode where Homer gets raped by a panda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ohhh, poo poo. Fargo season 2 will reveal what happened in South Dakota and will be about Lou from the first season as a young man in 1979.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Mention the Simpsons anywhere on SA and I guarantee that you will get at least one page of people arguing about when the show started to suck.

As it was written...

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ugh this is almost as bad as star wars talk.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

There's a thread in CineD that derailed into Starwarschat if that's what you really want. :v:

Chamberk posted:

For me, it'll always be the episode where Homer gets raped by a panda.

The last Simpsons episode I saw on purpose was the one where Homer and Marge stole Flanders' credit card so they could fly around the world to avoid Bart and Lisa, who stole Flanders' kids' credit card to chase them around the world and catch them in the middle of having sex.

Yes, this was an actual episode.

zoux posted:

As it was written...

To be fair, that probably applies to the entire internet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

raditts posted:

The last Simpsons episode I saw on purpose was the one where Homer and Marge stole Flanders' credit card so they could fly around the world to avoid Bart and Lisa, who stole Flanders' kids' credit card to chase them around the world and catch them in the middle of having sex.

Yes, this was an actual episode.
Why did Flanders' kids have a credit card? :psyduck:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Idk what the first bad episode was but ep 300 was the last one I saw(tony hawk)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Clayjar posted:

Idk what the first bad episode was but ep 300 was the last one I saw(tony hawk)

"You're going down! Then up, then down, then back up again. That's how half-pipe works"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

timp posted:

"You're going down! Then up, then down, then back up again. That's how half-pipe works"

Lots of otherwise bad Simpsons (and Futurama) episodes have one or two really loving gut-busting jokes in them because of the "punch-up jokes" strategy. For instance, there's that one Futurama episode about the baby Lrrrs as chicken nuggets that has a handful of really funny bits, like this:

Lrrr posted:

We will begin with the firemen, then the math teachers, and so on in that fashion until everyone is eaten.

but which is otherwise unfunny and dull.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DoctorWhat posted:

Lots of otherwise bad Simpsons (and Futurama) episodes have one or two really loving gut-busting jokes in them because of the "punch-up jokes" strategy. For instance, there's that one Futurama episode about the baby Lrrrs as chicken nuggets that has a handful of really funny bits, like this:

THEN THE LARGE WOMEN
then the petite women
THEN THE LARGE WOMEN AGAIN

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

Season 9. I don't know why this is, or ever has been, in dispute.

Season 9 was actually the last year of classic Simpsons. In what is commonly referred to as season 10 the show was secretly replaced by another show with the same name and characters. If you pay close attention to the credits, you can see that the production code format changes from the XF## template used in seasons 1-9 to the new XABF## format. They had to change this because it is actually a different show. This means that the final episode of The Simpsons ever produced was actually episode #5F22 (Bart the Mother).

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

J-Spot posted:

This means that the final episode of The Simpsons ever produced was actually episode #5F22 (Bart the Mother).

Makes sense. It was the last episode with Phil Hartman. :smith:

Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein's departure affected a lot too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why did Flanders' kids have a credit card? :psyduck:

My six-year-old niece has an iPhone.

(I have no idea how her parents afford it, since they live at home with my mother-in-law and neither of them works, and my mother-in-law is semi-retired.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The thing is, there's not really anything wrong with the Simpsons show, it's as good as ever. But after so many years, the characters just can't have the same impact they once had.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DoctorWhat posted:

Did you seriously just say The Problem with Poplers was unfunny and dull?

You deserve the fate of a vegetarian lion.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OldSenileGuy posted:

The thing is, there's not really anything wrong with the Simpsons show, it's as good as ever. But after so many years, the characters just can't have the same impact they once had.

A lot of the appeal of The Simpsons has more to do with the time it was released than anything else. The show got popular because it was "edgy", which is laughable by today's standards, and the show's initial popularity peaked with season 2 while most fans and critics don't consider the show's golden age to have really started until season 3. Also the huge marketing and merchandising push had a lot to do with its continued success, which is kind of ironic considering how subversive the show was supposed to be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

IRQ posted:

Did you seriously just say The Problem with Poplers was unfunny and dull?

You deserve the fate of a vegetarian lion.

The plot as a whole is kinda crummy and cliched but it's full of really funny individual jokes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A lot of the appeal of The Simpsons has more to do with the time it was released than anything else. The show got popular because it was "edgy", which is laughable by today's standards, and the show's initial popularity peaked with season 2 while most fans and critics don't consider the show's golden age to have really started until season 3. Also the huge marketing and merchandising push had a lot to do with its continued success, which is kind of ironic considering how subversive the show was supposed to be.

That's it! That's it, little girl! You've saved The Simpsons!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was not allowed to watch the Simpsons because Bart was so disrespectful.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Was your dad George Bush?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Two Bad Neighbors those Bush's.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

zoux posted:

Same here, mostly. I didn't actually watch the show with my parents' permission until I was in high school.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I've never seen an episode of the Simpsons, so this marathon and the website are a huge boon to me. Guess I'm the only one excited. :shrug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I wasn't for awhile either, not sure why, but my mother was terrible at enforcing tv/video game bullshit rules and it quickly went away. This was basically at the same time that we were watching Ren and Stimpy together, with my younger sister, and mom loved it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Excluding Seinfeld I can't name another show I've watched more in reruns than Simpsons. Simpsons really aged well I think- because I could watch nearly episode from seasons 2-9 and find it just as funny today. I wonder how well it will hold up in 20 years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My mom also blocked MTV :smith:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I had cousins that weren't allowed to watch the simpsons. They were (and still are) jerks and I was (and still am) pretty great.

QED if you didn't watch the simpsons you're a jerk

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I had cousins that weren't allowed to watch the simpsons. They were (and still are) jerks and I was (and still am) pretty great.

QED if you didn't watch the simpsons you're a jerk

Well that's a mean thing of you to say about me. I thought we were friends.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Nah, just Twilight Zone eskimo bros.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Wait, theres a drama about the manhattan project starting next week? That sounds awesome. Any reason I should lower my expectations?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Fooz posted:

Wait, theres a drama about the manhattan project starting next week? That sounds awesome. Any reason I should lower my expectations?

It will probably be like the family scenes in Homeland that have nothing to do with CIA/terrorist stuff except most of the time instead of sometimes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fooz posted:

Link?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would lower my expectations since it's on the WGN (?) channel?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They did build the first nuclear reactor in Chicago. By hand. Out of graphite bricks. Unshielded. Under the bleachers at Soldier Field.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Not under soldier field. At a field that is since gone (Stag field or something?) the site is now a landmark and a university library.

Edit: The manhattan project had one extremely dramatic event that occurred during its operations, I wonder how they'll portray it. It's drama gold, really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it was still fuckin nuts.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Fooz posted:

Not under soldier field. At a field that is since gone (Stag field or something?) the site is now a landmark and a university library.

Edit: The manhattan project had one extremely dramatic event that occurred during its operations, I wonder how they'll portray it. It's drama gold, really.

There were a couple of dramatic accidents in the Manhattan Project. Would you care to be more specific?

Oak Ridge probably would have accidentally produced the world's first dirty bomb if Feynman hadn't shown up and freaked out about their handling of radioactive materials.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF3vxmJsDIk

So with this, Taxi Brooklyn, Food Fighters, and Working the Engles, can we say that NBC programming has now surpassed the Community Finale?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Well I'm glad to see her role as a terrible human being on Fargo led somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Cardboard Box A posted:

So with this, Taxi Brooklyn, Food Fighters, and Working the Engles, can we say that NBC programming has now surpassed the Community Finale?

So either Harmon or someone at Community got a peak at NBC's list of upcoming shows and spoofed it, right? Because the idea that they came up with their cheesy awful fakes by themselves and then were one-upped (one-downed?) by NBC's actual, real programming is kind of mind-boggling.

e: For some reason I thought 2-3 of the shows had similar premises, but I guess it's just Captain Cook/Food Fighters. Still an impressively fake-sounding lineup from NBC though. Hope some people got some well-earned promotions for those hot bangers.

VDay fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 23, 2014

• Locked thread