Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

So just to be sure that I've got the overall message straight... "While the floor on art quality has gone way up, it's unfortunately been accompanied by a general decrease in really stylized cards, and the occasional questionable decision like LotV and new Slivers. Great art exists in all eras, though."

Well, one reason I presented it as nothing but card images is to leave the authorial intent vague. Different people will get very different things from the piece.

My true feeling, though, is that modern Magic art is exceedingly bland. I don't have more than one favorite current Magic artist, because it all blends together. The switch from paintings and illustrations to digital art is incredibly apparently (see the Chippy section). I think Brad Rigney art looks like a screenshot from a video game FMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm actually surprised by how bad a lot of the (more) recent art on that page isn't, though I think the takeaway there is that even drawing to a style guide and with 10+ extra years of experience, Drew Tucker (for example) is going to draw much more characterful art than Steve Argyle.

Also even in TSP and Lorwyn blocks, art was still pretty interestingly stylized compared to what it seems like today.

Finally, that M14 Angelic Wall art is really pretty nifty IMO. It's arguably more evocative than the Odyssey art, which does go to show that even if the art seems to have become more bland over time, it's not a perfectly linear relationship.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
And then you have an artist like Teresa Nielsen whose style has, in my opinion, only gotten better, although I think she still uses traditional media. I'm biased, though, since she's my favorite artist.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Oraculum Animi posted:

And then you have an artist like Teresa Nielsen whose style has, in my opinion, only gotten better, although I think she still uses traditional media. I'm biased, though, since she's my favorite artist.

As if Mirage art wasn't the best already, it had some of her most unique pieces. Nowadays they mostly have her paint people having thoughts and unicorns bounding through the sky, but her dark stuff looks incredible.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is Rebecca Guay still around? I don't remember seeing anything in her style recently, but I've only briefly looked over the Theros and RtR visual spoilers.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Is Rebecca Guay still around? I don't remember seeing anything in her style recently, but I've only briefly looked over the Theros and RtR visual spoilers.

Doing Magic art? No. Not since Eventide. Not even Avacyn Restored, which should have been the most Guay-friendly set ever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kingcobweb posted:

Doing Magic art? No. Not since Eventide. Not even Avacyn Restored, which should have been the most Guay-friendly set ever.

Shucks.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I'll defend a certain amount of new Magic art, but underusing Guay when they had her was monumentally stupid.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

As if Mirage art wasn't the best already, it had some of her most unique pieces. Nowadays they mostly have her paint people having thoughts and unicorns bounding through the sky, but her dark stuff looks incredible.

Oh man, I remember playing as a kid and seeing King Cheetah on a lot of the promotional material. I still think it looks amazing.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
At least we got one omnipresent tournament staple using her art.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My biggest complaint with modern card art is that it's often too detailed or busy for the size of the image. I should be able to tell what the card is while it's on the table without having to pick it up and look at it closely (at least for basic things like creatures - spells should be able to have more going on since they really only sit in your hand or the graveyard most the time).

It's me, I'm the art grognard.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
IMO the period from the beginning of Mirage through to either the end of Urza or sometime in Masques block was the ideal balance of art styles and quality for creating an evocative, coherent, not-quite-realist world where all the card images sort of hung together to show you things. Ice Age and before, you still had a high proportion of 'rough' if not precisely bad art; starting with Invasion, it felt like there was more and more style control being applied even if they still hung onto a lot of the interesting artists for a few more years. For the sweep of time in between, though, the art was in this place where it largely had this whimsical individual character and yet you could buy it all as being part of the world in and around Jamuura, or Rath or Tolaria or Yavimaya or whatever it was supposed to be.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Why is it that people hate the art on LOTV?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Does anybody have a list of green creatures with the ability to destroy artifacts (preferably upon entering the battlefield) that is also legal in modern?

The list that I can think of off the top of my head is pretty short. Reclamation sage, sylvan primordial, acidic slime, glissa sunseeker, indrik stomphowler, harmonic sliver, terrastadon. Any that I am missing?

E: forgot about qasali pridemage

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 23, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Homo for Hitler posted:

Does anybody have a list of green creatures with the ability to destroy artifacts (preferably upon entering the battlefield) that is also legal in modern?

The list that I can think of off the top of my head is pretty short. Reclamation sage, sylvan primordial, acidic slime, glissa sunseeker, indrik stomphowler, harmonic sliver, terrastadon. Any that I am missing?
Viridian Shaman.

Angry Grimace posted:

something about cheesecake i think

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

whydirt posted:

My biggest complaint with modern card art is that it's often too detailed or busy for the size of the image.

I didn't realize Supreme Verdict wasn't a giant laser shooting down from the sky until this past week when I compared it to the buy-a-box promo art and looked really closely.

Angry Grimace posted:

Her shoulders, breasts and hips are all pointing in the sexiest possible individual directions, independently of each other. It catches extra hate for it for being used as a face of the game - life-sized stickers of it on game store doors, etc.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 23, 2014

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Also the picture just looks plastic and terrible. Compare with the original Liliana Vess piece.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah, they definitely put the worst Liliana art on the best Liliana card, which is a bummer in addition to her severe case of Comic Book Spine.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Oraculum Animi posted:

Unfortunately with this shift in medium also comes more cheesecake, that Liliana for instance.
C'mon, there was a crapload of cheesecake in the early sets too. And even Argyle's never done Sivitri Scarzam (aka naked woman sitting astride a serpent with flavour text about 'taming the dragon'). This is a point where kcw's less than impartial view is quite apparent despite only posting the art, because it's a very very incomplete demonstration of how the game has depicted women.

whydirt posted:

My biggest complaint with modern card art is that it's often too detailed or busy for the size of the image.
I have this problem more with the older art, as it happens - look at that Mirage Dissipate, for example. I feel it's exacerbated by lots of older cards seeming to have very low contrast colour palettes, whether that was a printing thing at the time or just a problem common to various artists. But I suspect in part that it's something you get over with exposure. Play enough with the early cards and you recognise the art even if it was indistinct the first time, and you may well even forget that you even found it difficult to distinguish. But you'll keep having the problem each time new art is released, and each of those impressions will stick in your mind for a while until you've become used to the particular piece. (Hence "Modern art is difficult to parse!") On the other hand, if you weren't around for pre-Invasion art and don't play with those cards particularly, you'll keep getting caught up on the difficult art each time it gets brought up because you didn't have and don't get the chance to keep parsing it until it becomes familiar. (Hence "Old art is difficult to parse!")

While we're at it, I might as well push Chippy's more modern art over his older stuff. His period from about Kamigawa to Zendikar contains my favourite illustrations in the game, easily: Ragged Veins, Shivan Meteor, his Esper lands, Doom Blade, Master Transmuter, Zealot il-Vec, Shapeshifter's Marrow, Mystic Melting, Mishra's Bauble ... just so much good stuff. You can't persuade me to prefer Bellowing Fiend or the Lancers or Silverglade Elemental or Haunting Apparition over those, not at all.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Bias or not, I think it's apparent that the artwork on cards has been changing over time. A lot of the whimsical or more fantastic art seems to have been abandoned in favor of more grounded work for the most part. The quality of the work remains all over the place for sure, we get things like bellowing fiend from the past (Honestly this one isn't so bad, there are examples of far worse art we could pick.) and that one where someone photoshopped a kitten underwater or gild from the more recent art. I prefer the old look but some of the art wasn't very good, much like today. The art just feels too real most of the time now, this is wizard poker.

As a disclaimer of sorts, I started playing in revised.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 23, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

There's art on the cards?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
MtG has a story??

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

ThirdEmperor posted:

I'll defend a certain amount of new Magic art, but underusing Guay when they had her was monumentally stupid.

Still one of my favorite card arts from the recent sets. This is how all the enchantment creatures should have looked IMO.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Homo for Hitler posted:

E: forgot about qasali pridemage

Viridian Corrupter, Woodfall Primus, Thornscape Battlemage can do it if kicked as can Mold Shambler, and Nessian Demolok can but usually wont.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Viridian zealot isn't a 187 ability but he gets artifacts off the board.

Edit: there's nullmage Shepard too. Repeatable.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 23, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hopping Ghost posted:

I didn't realize Supreme Verdict wasn't a giant laser shooting down from the sky until this past week when I compared it to the buy-a-box promo art and looked really closely.

Her shoulders, breasts and hips are all pointing in the sexiest possible individual directions, independently of each other. It catches extra hate for it for being used as a face of the game - life-sized stickers of it on game store doors, etc.

Isn't Liliana supposed to be a seductress?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Don't forget the even-sexier version Argyle felt the need to make!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

Isn't Liliana supposed to be a seductress?

Yes but that's just a sly justification for it and assumes Liliana is a real woman who chose to wear the things she does which would be different. Art direction and marketing are choices made by the company making the game and reflects on the company making it. hth

My friend was actually disgusted when he saw argyle's art at Baltimore GP a couple years ago. He didn't want to get his playmat signed which convinced me not to get mine signed either. His art is seriously all the same airbrushed pin up girls.

It's a shame he didn't do Karn because I would love to see Karn as a twink.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Didn't he post a photo of his art room with two random girls passed out under his desk.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Chill la Chill posted:

Alright let's get a Garruk on Karn playmat action going.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Give Karn a giant silver artifact boner too

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

Its weird that the modern version of Lord of the Pit actually changes the functionality of the card by refusing to allow you to sacrifice Lord of the Pit to Lord of the Pit.
It has never had that functionality. They fumbled the templating but it's clear from the Alpha card as worded that it means "other than Lord of the Pit." It's not something that was even errata'd.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes but that's just a sly justification for it and assumes Liliana is a real woman who chose to wear the things she does which would be different. Art direction and marketing are choices made by the company making the game and reflects on the company making it. hth

My friend was actually disgusted when he saw argyle's art at Baltimore GP a couple years ago. He didn't want to get his playmat signed which convinced me not to get mine signed either. His art is seriously all the same airbrushed pin up girls.

Well, I guess that doesn't answer the question of why sexy drawings of characters is a problem?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Give Karn a giant silver artifact boner too

http://magiccards.info/query?q=o%3Atap+t%3A%22artifact%22+c%21w&v=card&s=cname

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, I guess that doesn't answer the question of why sexy drawings of characters is a problem?

Can we just not have this discussion? I mean, I get the importance and all, and it is a fairly widespread issue, but it's like this horrible mushroom that keeps popping up in threads.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Grim monolith dude.

DUH

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Can we just not have this discussion? I mean, I get the importance and all, and it is a fairly widespread issue, but it's like this horrible mushroom that keeps popping up in threads.
Stop talking about Magic in the Magic thread.

(I don't recall ever having had this discussion, actually.)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Molybdenum posted:

Grim monolith dude.

DUH

Scepter of Dominance lets you tap stuff though.

Also you can't talk about Magic cards with spine-breaking poses without mentioning FtV:20 Tanglewire:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

vOv posted:

Scepter of Dominance lets you tap stuff though.

Someone got my joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

It has never had that functionality. They fumbled the templating but it's clear from the Alpha card as worded that it means "other than Lord of the Pit." It's not something that was even errata'd.

I'm not sure how this doesn't, based on its words, have the functionality to sacrifice itself. Shadowborn Demon also just says "sacrifice a creature," as well, which includes Shadowborn Demon if you really want.

• Locked thread