Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Does anyone know of any games that feature full, native DualShock 4 support? As in no additional Xinput wrapper necessary, and proper button icons shown in-game? I'm aware that as a DirectInput controller it can be used with just about any game that supports that, but I'm curious to know about any that properly acknowledge it. Octodad, OlliOlli, and Shovel Knight are the only ones I can think of offhand, are there any others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

ovaries posted:

Does anyone know of any games that feature full, native DualShock 4 support? As in no additional Xinput wrapper necessary, and proper button icons shown in-game? I'm aware that as a DirectInput controller it can be used with just about any game that supports that, but I'm curious to know about any that properly acknowledge it. Octodad, OlliOlli, and Shovel Knight are the only ones I can think of offhand, are there any others?

Cook Serve Delicious.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I was checking out the top selling indie games and I found a game called Sakura Spirit. It looks like the worst creepy poo poo Japan has to offer. Is it really as bad as it looks like?

Also the only indie game I have ever bought and played is the Prison Architect. What are the must play indie games on Steam? Isn't Papers, Please supposed to be great? I realized taht I have that. Also Gone Home, seem to own that too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Papers Please and Gone Home ARE good. One is very tense and the other is more like the exploration moments of a Bioshock/Fallout game but without combat/enemies, just sneakin around a spooky house examining the gently caress out of everything.

You'll generally get a list of cool indie games whenever Steam Sales happen. Here's some necessary ones:

Bastion (action)
Blackwell series (point n' click adventures)
Guacamelee (metroid beat'em'up)
Gunpoint (action stealth)
Hotline Miami (murder puzzle)
Mark of the Ninja (action stealth)
SpaceChem (devious puzzle game)
The Stanley Parable (humorous meta commentary on games)

Some games I haven't played but people swear by:

FTL
Don't Starve
Monaco

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 23, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

See also:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (horror)
Binding of Isaac (roguelike Zelda thing)
Braid (puzzle platformer)
Cave Story (action platformer)
Frozen Synapse (strategy)
Jamestown (vertical shooter)
LIMBO (puzzle platformer)
Little Inferno (experience)
Machinarium (adventure)
Papo & Yo (3rd person platformer)
Risk of Rain (roguelike platformer)
Rock of Ages (stone rolling destructo thing)
Spelunky (roguelike platformer)
Super Meat Boy (ultrahard platformer)
The Swapper (puzzle platformer)
To The Moon (adventure)
Trine/Trine 2 (adventure platformer)
VVVVVV (puzzle platformer)
World of Goo (puzzle)

If you're just now getting around to indie gaming, you've got a lot to catch up on.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

I was checking out the top selling indie games and I found a game called Sakura Spirit. It looks like the worst creepy poo poo Japan has to offer. Is it really as bad as it looks like?

The store page has a nudity and explicit sexual dialog warning. Yeah, I'd suspect it is that bad.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ManOfTheYear posted:

Also the only indie game I have ever bought and played is the Prison Architect. What are the must play indie games on Steam? Isn't Papers, Please supposed to be great? I realized taht I have that. Also Gone Home, seem to own that too.

Well, Quest for Glory named some very excellent and a lot of the cream of the crop.

Here are some choice games from Palpek's list that Quest didn't highlight.

Broken Age - Double Fine's new adventure game is really charming with likable characters, a genuine sense of humor, and an interesting story. Second half is supposed to come later this year.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! - Is an addictive Wario Ware-style game in which you fill customer orders and do chores in a restaurant. The orders/chores are very fast and simple minigames, but the fun comes from keeping up and staying cool under pressure while juggling multiple tasks at once.

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - THE best tower defense game on Steam. Period. It's like one of those browser-based games in the genre that you couldn't put down but even better.

Don't Starve - An uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic. It's difficult, it's fun, it's gorgeous and has a big community support with mods etc. And Multiplayer coming soon!

Dungeons of Dredmor Complete - This is a roguelike for people who normally can't stand roguelikes. Very accessible, polished and absolutely hilarious. This might be the funniest game on Steam, also one of the best.

Eversion - A cute 2d platformer in the style of Mario except it's not cute. It's not cute at all. Death and decay and staring into the void. It's loving terrifying and you should get it.

FEZ - A joyful platformer/puzzle game full of exploration, secrets, chellenges and just uncovering the fantastic world the author has created.

Hard Reset Extended Edition - An old-school FPS game with tons of enemies sent in your general direction and no reload button. Also environmental explosions galore. Everything explodes. Gun upgrades are ~awesome~. Surprisingly high production values for a small studio - the devs upgraded the game to Extended Edition for free which added a whole act to the story.

Hero Siege - Diablo 2, Link to the Past, Risk of Rain and a Roguelike has an orgy.

FTL: Faster Than Light - I will tell you that Hotline Miami is the best indie game of 2012 - well, I bet some people will send me death threats because I should have chosen FTL for that spot. A space strategy game where you willingly burn half of your own ship during a hostile alien takeover only to realize that your last surviving crew member is slowly suffocating while the oxygen controls are in a decompressed room. Fun times.

Kentucky Route Zero - An absolutely gorgeous and jaw-dropping adventure game that is more about atmosphere, dialogues and music than anything else. An absolute masterpiece that features some puzzles that are pretty easy but playing this game is an experience in itself.

La-Mulana - is deceptively massive and has some great puzzles if you're into mixing your metroidvania with puzzles that go beyond pushing boxes/lighting torches.

Long Live The Queen - A queen murdering simulator. By this I mean you're faced with a variety of choices that have far-fetching consequences and your aim is to survive. It's a very good non-creepy game. I promise.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - A quite solid and delightfully cheesy God of War clone.

One Finger Death Punch - You have two buttons, hundreds of stick enemies, and ancient kung-fu action.

Risk of Rain - A randomly generated action platformer with roguelike elements. It's really hard and best played in co-op. The game becomes better with every item you unlock and stack with your earlier unlocks. This is a really good game.

Rogue Legacy - Highly addictive rouglike 2D sidescroller with some elements of Castlevania where you get to select a heir that has different traits after you die.

Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves - Orcs Must Die but with Warewolves. You basically have to defend certain points on the map by first preparing for battle setting traps, buffs, buying weapons and resources and then actually fight that battle in a third person view. A fantastic game.

Shadow Warrior - Remake of an old game by the maker's of Hard Reset. Features an old-school style FPS with powerups, hidden collectibles, and backpeddaling arena style shooting.

Spelunky - A kick-rear end roguelike platformer with destructable environment and tons of character and content.

The Swapper - Claymation puzzle game with an amazingly good atmosphere and interesting puzzles. Story, sound & level design are very high quality. Mechanics are creating clones and swapping bodies.

Teslagrad - A 2D puzzle platformer with action elements, where magnetism and other electromagnetic powers are the key.

Transistor - It could be Bastion's sequel, Really beautiful visuals and music.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

If you're just now getting around to indie gaming, you've got a lot to catch up on.

I do, and that's a good thing. A lot of indie games have been platformers and I've never been too much into that genre, but for example Shovel Knight looks so good that I just might buy it.

Also, thank you guys for suggestions.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Here have some games, don't be a jerk and take them all just to increase a number on your steam profile, then never play them, because that makes you a douchebag.

Thief Gold: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=fAfXyFcfTwP5EBBC

Hitman: Codename 47: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=kYSZPPKZ7432CYHH

John Romero's Bitch Simulator 2000: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=efrpWCnz8F6k4rvK

Anachronox: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=BuByPEMKYBEfxPSr

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

ManOfTheYear posted:

It is as bad as it looks, but it's not Japanese.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I do, and that's a good thing. A lot of indie games have been platformers and I've never been too much into that genre, but for example Shovel Knight looks so good that I just might buy it.

Also, thank you guys for suggestions.

Shovel Knight is really good, but if you're not one for platformers I don't know how much you'd like it. The game is a love letter to old NES platformers, and expects that you already know them inside out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Drifter posted:

Good luck, but you'd be better off learning off of a site like Duolingo. Vocab lists, however point & clicky, aren't going to even be remotely useful.

This game looks like 'Flash Cards: The Game".
Well, I'm taking regular lessons with a teacher so this is something I only consider a side resource and as such it looks perfect to me.

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
Enclave: RX2A9-2KVRX-CA9FG

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is the new Dungeon Defenders any good? It seems like they pretty much took the original and made it not crap.

As I understand it, the current knocks against it are as follows:

4-player online mandatory Single-player and hosting of private matches has actually been patched in now.
• Eternal is actually a port of the new mobile version, rather than being developed natively for PC. It's to allow cross-platform play, I guess.
• Always-online DRM, presumably to dissuade weapon hacking.
• Majority of the game assets are streamed from Trendy's servers, and there seems to be no local cache. Redownload a map every time you play!
• Horrible server issues, think SimCity and Diablo 3 launches. They were allegedly anticipating this and did nothing to assuage it, though who knows if they even had the means to.
• Comes with all the former DLC for existing customers... except the DLC that isn't even in this release (yet? I'm not clear on how much is missing, nor whether permanently).
• Comes with brand new cash shop for cosmetics and emotes.

I still think the overall goon mentality towards the original game is excessively harsh, I had a grand time with it. But I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole at present.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

• Horrible server issues, think SimCity and Diablo 3 launches. They were allegedly anticipating this and did nothing to assuage it, though who knows if they even had the means to.

Depends on how much forewarning they had. I know FFXIV suffered from a sudden surge in popularity before launch, which their login server was unprepared to handle. In that case, simply plugging in more servers doesn't help. But if they had a good amount of time to prepare, then yeah, there's no excuse for a Diablo 3 level launch.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
How exactly am I supposed to download Defiance from Steam? There's no download or install button and the only buy options are for DLC.

Or am I better off not even playing it for free?

Edit: Actually, I found this: http://steamdb.info/app/224600/

It appears to be working. If it doesn't, I'll probably just play something else.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 23, 2014

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Hellburger99 posted:

How exactly am I supposed to download Defiance from Steam? There's no download or install button and the only buy options are for DLC.

Or am I better off not even playing it for free?

Edit: Actually, I found this: http://steamdb.info/app/224600/

It appears to be working. If it doesn't, I'll probably just play something else.

I bought it in a sale before it went F2P and it was decent enough fun for a weekend but had no endgame unless you REALLY liked grinding for cosmetic unlocks.

No idea how it is since it's gone F2P.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So I've been trying out the Free to Play Unturned, and while it's a little goofy, its still fun and was wondering if anyone saw a thread or etc for it? Would really like to play with some goons!

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Cook Serve Delicious.

I have come to accept the fact that I will never see this title without thinking of the classic Twilight Zone episode.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Anybody try out that Dark Blood Online F2P that went up today? Worth playing?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ManOfTheYear posted:

Yes it is, and the fact that it's selling is an indictment of the gaming community. If you must have a game with anime chicks, I'd suggest Sunrider- it's free and has mechs! It's vastly unfinished though, and has one NSFW scene late on.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Anyone know anything about the current state of Planet Explorers? It's on sale and looks pretty neat but I am afraid of buying early access games now.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Apparently Steams website is literally the only website on the internet that has age gate checks that don't expire in a day; how do I get rid of this poo poo (preferably without deleting all cookies / browsing data etc.)?

I misclicked one of them in my browser months ago and it hasn't reset since, very irritated at this point.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hat Thoughts posted:

Isn't the artist like a furry Sonic guy too, I mean, the art looks nice, but the relation isn't hard to see at all.
Like I said, it's Sonic fangame folk making something not-Sonic. Luckily, Sonic fangame folk seem to have enough talent around (see the Sonic 1, 2 and CD remakes done for Sega) that it works out.

PowerBeard posted:

Dear TellTale Games,

Your games are exceptional and deserve every bit of praise heaped upon them. Your client and network for downloading them however might need some work.

Orv posted:

Their personal download network is honestly terrifying with how bad it is.
You're expecting them to run a digital distro service when they can't even make loading saved games work properly?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mr. Crow posted:

Apparently Steams website is literally the only website on the internet that has age gate checks that don't expire in a day; how do I get rid of this poo poo (preferably without deleting all cookies / browsing data etc.)?

I misclicked one of them in my browser months ago and it hasn't reset since, very irritated at this point.

I've not needed to do it, but I imagine just clearing Steam-related cookies would work fine. Firefox lets you do a search when you ask it to delete cookies for a particular site, but I can't speak for any other browser.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Velvet Sundown is actually pretty fun. I roll the thief so I'm just going about and schmoozing. I'm approached by the undercover agent who wants me to steal some data. I steal it and sell it to him and then tase him as soon as I get paid.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

You're expecting them to run a digital distro service when they can't even make loading saved games work properly?

How long ago did Telltale say they would be making a new engine that didn't have those problems?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr. Crow posted:

Just go delete that specific cookie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Testekill posted:

Velvet Sundown is actually pretty fun. I roll the thief so I'm just going about and schmoozing. I'm approached by the undercover agent who wants me to steal some data. I steal it and sell it to him and then tase him as soon as I get paid.

It's a pretty neat game with a lot of rough edges.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's a pretty neat game with a lot of rough edges.

Someone said earlier but this would make a load more money as a five or 10 dollar game then it will as a subscription based game. It just makes no sense for them to do this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ManOfTheYear posted:

It literally gives you AIDS.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Testekill posted:

Someone said earlier but this would make a load more money as a five or 10 dollar game then it will as a subscription based game. It just makes no sense for them to do this.

Yeah I've been playing it for a few hours, and it's so close to being a really cool thing but there's so many tiny detail missing I assume the developers must not have much history actually making games. Like, one person quitting can totally break it and force you to wait 30 minutes or whatever until the game ends, the tutorial is totally useless, the lobby system is terrible, etc. etc.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Bit confused about the Dark Souls 2 DLC: steam says I can buy a bundle of the season pass AND the Crown of the Sunken King DLC.

I thought the season pass was for all the DLC, why would I buy that AND the DLC, or is it another situation where 'season pass' actually means 'just these bits later on'?

Edit: No I just confused myself it's not a bundle it's just steam telling me how much it would be to buy all DLC forms regardless.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Palpek posted:

Well, I'm taking regular lessons with a teacher so this is something I only consider a side resource and as such it looks perfect to me.

Don't listen to him. I used the Japanese version of Influent and found it to be really helpful for learning the 400 or so vocab items it has(Had? I don't know if it's been updated or expanded since launch.). I even ended up modifying my own studying after using it to incorporate more visual learning.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Anyone know why all my older Total War games on Steam just decided to spontaneously download all data again? I can't find any news or comments explaining it, but it's just those specific titles. Quite annoying because they're like 30 gig in total or something.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

SadisTech posted:

Anyone know why all my older Total War games on Steam just decided to spontaneously download all data again? I can't find any news or comments explaining it, but it's just those specific titles. Quite annoying because they're like 30 gig in total or something.

I'm guessing it was to remove Gamespy functionality.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One more game for Indie Chat: Broforce. Yes, it's 'early access', but it's the good kind... the kind that actually already has a game there, and the rest of the development time is dedicated into making that game perfect. You can play as Brobocop, Bronan the Brobarianand Rambro, only to name a few of the 20 or so bros.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

TheCoon posted:

Don't listen to him. I used the Japanese version of Influent and found it to be really helpful for learning the 400 or so vocab items it has(Had? I don't know if it's been updated or expanded since launch.). I even ended up modifying my own studying after using it to incorporate more visual learning.
Good to hear, I'm a big fan of visual learning where I put post-its all over my flat with vocabulary and this game seems like an extension of that idea. Not mentioning not needing to stick post-its everywhere.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah I've been playing it for a few hours, and it's so close to being a really cool thing but there's so many tiny detail missing I assume the developers must not have much history actually making games. Like, one person quitting can totally break it and force you to wait 30 minutes or whatever until the game ends, the tutorial is totally useless, the lobby system is terrible, etc. etc.
Yeah, I've had a few runs where one person goes zombie (maybe because they don't want to play the bartender for the 10th time even though playing the bartender is cool) but aside from that... it's alright.

If people play the roles straight it can be fun, and sometimes when people go off the deep end with the memes and stupid poo poo, you'll have gently caress all chance of completing your mission but if you roll with the stupid poo poo it can be fun that way too. I sent one guy off the edge because I mentioned Krav Maga (just to go with the character) and he said he wanted to know where I lived so he could bust my rear end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

Yes it is, and the fact that it's selling is an indictment of the gaming community. If you must have a game with anime chicks, I'd suggest Sunrider- it's free and has mechs! It's vastly unfinished though, and has one NSFW scene late on.

Alternatively, anything from Christine Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mokinokaro posted:

Alternatively, anything from Christine Love.

Or Magical Diary :allears:

Just stay away from Planet Stronghold though. Hell, stay away from anything Winter Wolves-related.

• Locked thread