Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The clan equivalent of a partner in the law firm is a Galaxy Lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm gonna vote B and G. Look, the thread fell in love with McKenna when they started showing signs of not being dumb; I refuse to abandon that now.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

C) Amaris is clearly bluffing. And even if he isn't the exploding clan warships will make a pretty fireworks display

D) Larsha under Seige It won't win but I'd really like to see what a three year old girl armed with just a teddy bear can do to a mech.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 23, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ferrosol posted:

I'd really like to see what a three year old girl armed with just a teddy bear can do to a mech.

She dropped a dump-truck on an Enforcer's head and got disappeared recruited by the Maskirovka to go be Sun Wu Liao's future bodyguard.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012
Political Vote: B) “This requires consideration.”
I like all the Clans in this attack, they seem less dickish than most of the other Clans and they should stick together

Combat Theater: C) King of the Pirates
This battle sounds like way too much fun to miss

On a side note, I've learned basically everything I know about Battletech from this thread and was inspired to start up a campaign of my own with some friends. Now that I have a handle on things, can I sign up for the Mechwarrior pilot list?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
C, C! Pirates!

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Do the losing options number of votes change or weight the outcomes of those theatres in the behind the scenes action?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Lenisto posted:

On a side note, I've learned basically everything I know about Battletech from this thread and was inspired to start up a campaign of my own with some friends. Now that I have a handle on things, can I sign up for the Mechwarrior pilot list?

To anyone else who's on the fence about signing up for this:
Never, ever think you're not good enough to be on the pilot list. Personally, I love seeing someone new to the game take on a scenario.
We may roll our eyes and moan every now and then, but we do so because we've all done the same mistakes and it's just the pain of remembering it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

The frankenmechs are only half the fun! The pilot who winds up p2g7 after I randomly roll everyone's stats is the other half.

Clearly inherited their mech, ran out of ammo in their first fight ever and has spent the last 4 decades kicking and punching their way across the periphery searching for more.

The mech is armed with srm-3s and an AC/7.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

That Italian Guy posted:

Now I'm assuming every career path in clanspace is worded the same way.

:black101: "when I grow up I want to be a Star Lawyer!"

The 'Wright' and 'Edgeworth' Lawnames are always hotly contested and can only be won by completing a Trial of Objection.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Scintilla posted:

The 'Wright' and 'Edgeworth' Lawnames are always hotly contested and can only be won by completing a Trial of Objection.

Bloodnames 'Mason' and 'Matlock' have been redacted however, due to Bandit caste affiliations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

hooman posted:

Clearly inherited their mech, ran out of ammo in their first fight ever and has spent the last 4 decades kicking and punching their way across the periphery searching for more.

The mech is armed with srm-3s and an AC/7.

The idea of a SRM-3 having no ammo does sound pretty Battletech. The idea of removing the beer pack style plastic rinds around the SRMs is lostech.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I think you can get AC8's and AC4's for Protomechs? SSW has them available, at least.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And special AC/2s with less range and ammo per ton but half weight. Micro lasers, Light machine guns, and light TAG all started as protomech systems.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have a fondness for B&E

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Political Vote 15b
B) “This requires consideration.” (Inform the Sea Fox Khans, and the surviving Ghost Bears)

Because otherwise they'll probably end up jumping to one of the other points and getting nuked. I'm curious as to why they don't just go start destroying other NRWR worlds though. Why is Andurien so important to them? I'd think they'd be satisfied just wading into any NRWR planet they come across and letting fly with everything they've got.

Also Khan McKenna didn't simply ignore Amaris' threats and intimidation with blind Clan arrogance. 0/10, what kind of Khan is he? Yes I know that being smart enough to not just blindly plow ahead is a good thing, but in this case it seems like trickery and intimidation is one of Amaris' big strengths so being immune to them by virtue of supreme confidence would be a good thing here.

Combat Theater Vote
D) Larsha under Seige

I'm guessing this is a scenario where the Caps and Dutchy forces can work together against the mustache twirling Taurians to forge stronger ties to help with the whole "replaced at birth" plan, which I wholeheartedly approve of.

PoptartsNinja posted:

But is he really as far ahead as he thinks he is?

The entire economy of the NRWR is a nightmare designed by a madman that only works because it's never been put under any pressure and it (among other things) will be coming back to haunt Mr. VII.

You have no idea how gleeful this post makes me. At all. Few things pressure economies like war, and a war led by an armchair general... :getin:

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 23, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shoeless posted:

You have no idea how gleeful this post makes me. At all. Few things pressure economies like war, and a war led by an armchair general... :getin:

These aren't huge spoilers since this may never get brought up in fluff, depending on how voting goes:

The worlds of the Republic can pay taxes with either money, food surplus, production capacity, or some combination thereof. There're several problems with this but the most obvious is that all of the worlds with the best manufacturing capacity are the same worlds who can afford to just pay their taxes with money; forcing the NRWR to then buy production from them (at a net loss to the Republic).

During peacetime that works fine, since it lets the Republic boost the economy of their best manufacturing centers and reward loyal planets with contracts that make them a good bit of money. During wartime when you need production in a hurry there's a chance all of your good manufacturing centers are busy making shovels for all of their hole-diggers.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

During peacetime that works fine, since it lets the Republic boost the economy of their best manufacturing centers and reward loyal planets with contracts that make them a good bit of money. During wartime when you need production in a hurry there's a chance all of your good manufacturing centers are busy making shovels for all of their hole-diggers.

Sweet, sweet fill lucre. Also, just thought of something. "The entire economy of the NRWR is a nightmare designed by a madman that only works because it's never been put under any pressure"

Designed by a madman may be literal if one of the Amaris' came up with it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
It's a pretty reasonable limitation. It explains why a lot of the NRWR military action is based around Black-Ops style stuff like false-flags, infiltration missions and surgical strikes - because they aren't as expensive as full military campaigns and can be done without taxing the economy too much.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
Voting C for combat theatre, because masterpieces of periphery engineering.

(As much as I'd liked to be surprised by crazy black-ops prototype test drive, I'd rather *not* see it now and instead be *even more* surprised when whatever it is turns up in actual combat later. Because of course it will.)

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Political: B
Combat Theater: H. Curse you, PTN, for offering so many awesome options!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Huh, that's not entirely bad. At least there's an upside to it in peacetime.
Loyalty won't go as far as mandated production, but if Amaris has the Republics constituents enthused there will probably be domestic pressure for them to contribute beyond their requirements to the war to make up for some of it.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 24, 2014

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Readingaccount posted:

Huh, that's not entirely bad. At least there's an upside to it in peacetime.
Loyalty won't go as far as mandated production, but if Amaris has the Republics constituents enthused there will probably be domestic pressure for them to contribute beyond their requirements to the war to make up for some of it.

Though how well the loyalty holds remains to be seen. Especially if Amaris' facade begins to crack and people realize that he isn't actually his public face. Loyalty starts to run thin when you start sending 'peacekeeping' forces to manufacturing planets who aren't building as much as you want and begin 'peacekeeping' the hell out of the civilians.

At least we'll know he's getting desperate if we see him trying to build superheavy mechs. Amaris' Folly 2.0

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
B

C :yarr:

So, what route did Redjack Ryan take to get to Tortuga. Please say he took the straight line and pissed off about half the Inner Sphere along the way. :allears:

PoptartsNinja posted:

She dropped a dump-truck on an Enforcer's head and got disappeared recruited by the Maskirovka to go be Sun Wu Liao's future bodyguard.

Ahaha, the more things change...

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 24, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Calling the vote now so I can start working on maps (yes plural).

As a head's-up, in addition to the normal mission I'm also doing a sub-mission featuring individual battle armor in an unusual scenario (the players will be controlling 1 unit in each scenario). The map in this second scenario has been scaled up (1 hex is 15 meters, so BA will cross the map faster than 1 hex per turn) and damage and armor have all been multiplied by 100 (to allow AP weapons to deal attrition damage).

This'll be really hard to balance so if it goes tits-up or otherwise sucks, it can be dropped without any trouble.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Shoeless posted:

At least we'll know he's getting desperate if we see him trying to build superheavy mechs. Amaris' Folly 2.0

Oh, how I hope this happens. Superheavy mech design contest, anyone?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Please build a mech the size of a planet, thanks in advance. Also please have Orson Welles pilot it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Dolash posted:

Please build a mech the size of a planet, thanks in advance. Also please have Orson Welles pilot it.

But how are we going to build a bag of Birdseye Peas that big?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Urban Mechs

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Superheavy Urbanmechs sound like the best worst idea.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

Uh, we've already had suburbanmechs, and they were awesome!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're weapon emplacements that just happen to be able to move.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Uh, we've already had suburbanmechs, and they were awesome!

...Wait, those are going to be actual things rather than just a single mission gimmick?

...:swoon:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Scintilla posted:

...Wait, those are going to be actual things rather than just a single mission gimmick?

...:swoon:

PTN's timeline is the gift that keeps giving.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goatface posted:

They're weapon emplacements that just happen to be able to move.

Those actually exist and can be much bigger than just "superheavy"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

dis astranagant posted:

Checking this out, there's a "Burke II" tank that has quad AC-20s with a pair of LRM launchers for laughs. And a mean artillery vehicle with a 18-map-range artillery and pair of 8-map-range Arrow launchers.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Checking this out, there's a "Burke II" tank that has quad AC-20s with a pair of LRM launchers for laughs. And a mean artillery vehicle with a 18-map-range artillery and pair of 8-map-range Arrow launchers.

If you mean the Destrier for the second one, sadly the twin Long Toms it sports are Long Tom Cannons, as in the snub-nosed versions whose range is measured in hexes, not mapsheets. The twin Arrow IVs on the Ballista trailer it's paired with are nice though. And the Burke II is hilarious. Oh Amaris, what zany antics will you make next? :allears:

Scintilla posted:

Past 135 tons you really can't go faster than 2/3 without using horribly inefficient Large engines, so most Superheavies will end up at Urbie speeds...

dis astranagant posted:

I really wish they'd done more than just the Rattler Mk. 2 and Wyrms with those. On the other hand, now I can stat out Traction Cities. :getin:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Shoeless posted:

Past 135 tons you really can't go faster than 2/3 without using horribly inefficient Large engines, so most Superheavies will end up at Urbie speeds...

Yeah, Superheavies generally have poo poo maneuverability. At 200 tons 2/3 is the hard cap, but at that point you have more armour and weapon space than God so it's less of an issue. At best you want to slap on Jump Jets for some added turning power (And for performing DFA's :getin:).

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Now I want to see a superheavy with partial wing and improved jump jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Now I want to see a superheavy with partial wing and improved jump jets.

Fortunately, dropships starts at 200 tons so we can try and equip talons on one sometime.

• Locked thread