Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Tindahbawx posted:

Don't suppose there's any chance of getting my characters names changed these days?

Wouldn't mind having another bash at this game, haven't touched it since about 2008 and a brief free week in 2010 or thereabouts.

I imagine a lot would have changed since then, would be nice to see how the game is getting on. Problem is my characters names are bloody awful and make me cringe to read, I guess I was a different person 10 years ago.

So... Is it possible to change them?

Failing that how long does it take to train up about 20m and 50m exp/skill points/whatever its called, on a new character these days, so I could get back to where I left off?

Name change? No chance in the entire world.

You can train about 22 million SP per year if you plan wisely and use your remaps.

But the upside is you can get into useful and fun ships with relative little training these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!
If your name happens to be a swear word in any language or something racist or rude, you can get someone to petition your name to get it changed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mrg220t posted:

If your name happens to be a swear word in any language or something racist or rude, you can get someone to petition your name to get it changed.

Doesn't this just change your name to a number? Or can you petition CCP if you end up with a number-name to get a new name for yourself?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If it doesn't just don't bother even if you're named something incredibly stupid.

My main character is named Dream Raven. When I post on GF dot com it says Dream Raven.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

mrg220t posted:

Its not unfortunately. I tried to get the one called "Twilight Moon" renamed, on the basis that I created this character in 2005 and that while it is still a terrible name originally, it has become exponentially more so since that god awful series of tweeny vampire stories were written. I tried the angle that it had become offensive for me to play due to the sheer amount of harassment I suffered in game when I tried it for the free week. Whoever I was dealing with wasn't feeling sympathetic at all, and I have the feeling he was laughing while typing out the reply.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ok I'm not going to lie; that's a pretty bad name.

But just roll with it. Think of all the jerks that'll have that name on their lossmail.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you deserve everything bad that has happened to you

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Tindahbawx posted:

"Twilight Moon"

Those names are pretty good. Down right cute I'd say. I like them.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Look on the bright side; it's not right at the beginning or end of the alphabet so you will not be called primary much.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

ullerrm posted:

(I have no real suggestions for how to fix it, unfortunately -- everything I've thought of has nasty carry-on effects for subcap balance.)
New siphon-like deployable that latches onto a nearby CSAA. Once it finishes cycling, it creates a killswitch code for whatever ship is currently being built inside.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
creating a good name is important.

don't be a buttpipe.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

dialhforhero posted:

creating a good name is important.

don't be a buttpipe.

Ironically if he had the name "Buttpipe" then that would probably have been considered more acceptable in the fleets.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Tindahbawx posted:

Don't suppose there's any chance of getting my characters names changed these days?

Wouldn't mind having another bash at this game, haven't touched it since about 2008 and a brief free week in 2010 or thereabouts.

I imagine a lot would have changed since then, would be nice to see how the game is getting on. Problem is my characters names are bloody awful and make me cringe to read, I guess I was a different person 10 years ago.

So... Is it possible to change them?

Failing that how long does it take to train up about 20m and 50m exp/skill points/whatever its called, on a new character these days, so I could get back to where I left off?

If you hate your names so much I'm sure you could sell your characters on the EVE-O forums and buy another.

Fake edit: Hell, I am in the market for a higher SP character then my 20msp main. I would probably buy your 50msp character if it isn't complete poo poo. PM me on GF.com or in game if there is any interest in exploring this option.

mmrmnhrm
Jul 10, 2014

Tindahbawx posted:

Its not unfortunately. I tried to get the one called "Twilight Moon" renamed, on the basis that I created this character in 2005 and that while it is still a terrible name originally, it has become exponentially more so since that god awful series of tweeny vampire stories were written. I tried the angle that it had become offensive for me to play due to the sheer amount of harassment I suffered in game when I tried it for the free week. Whoever I was dealing with wasn't feeling sympathetic at all, and I have the feeling he was laughing while typing out the reply.

Have someone petition it as being a copyright violation

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Can I put you on the CSM so you can tell this to CCP over and over until they listen? But yes, These are the main reasons that his ideas are bad.

:colbert:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Kjermzs posted:

I would probably buy your 50msp character if it isn't complete poo poo. PM me on GF.com or in game if there is any interest in exploring this option.

I could be seriously wrong on that number, that was just a rough one pulled from some old eve skill planner .txt I found while searching to see if I even still had the EVE client on my PC on the old hard drive.

I highly doubt I finished that skill plan, this was from before you could queue a bunch of skills up, and I know I lost interest logging in.

Anyway, once I have access and find out what character has what, I'll fire you a PM if I intend to sell.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

We trusted you to remove fix supers and you betrayed us.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

We trusted you to remove fix remove supers and you betrayed us.

:catbert:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Guy with the horrible name could sell his charcter on eve-o for isk and buy a similar SP character with the isk. It'll be named by a random pubbie though. Personally I'd just learn to live with your lovely name.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Boiled Water posted:

If it doesn't just don't bother even if you're named something incredibly stupid.

My main character is named Dream Raven. When I post on GF dot com it says Dream Raven.

Spooge McGee reporting in.

Never not stupid name yourself.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Locator posted:

PI is easy isk, but you need to spend a couple weeks (or three?) training the skills to level 4 in order to run 5 planets (1 character) and that brings in about 7m isk per character per day after POCO taxes (before broker/sales tax). If it's set up right you only need to touch it about once per 3 days (figure 30 minutes or so) to reset things, and then every couple weeks you need to haul the stuff somewhere to sell it.

It's decent supplemental income, at roughly 215m per month (at level 4 skills). It can obviously be trained up on multiple alts to scale it up, but that becomes a huge pain in the rear end, because each alt has to do all the resets and hauling (at least to a central location for your main to pick up) because only the character running the PI can actually retrieve the PI goop from the POCO, so each alt needs to be able to fly a hauler as well.

I only do PI on my main, because I can't be bothered training up PI alts and dealing with that.

Starting from scratch, it will take you just under two weeks to get the skills for PI (CCU IV, IPC IV, Planetology IV - includes Remote Sensing III has a prereq, and Gallent Industrial I to fly an Epithal). It will go quicker if you have your stats in the right configuration already or have implants plugged (you should have implants plugged on your main, at least). This means that if you take a month out of your training, you can train up two additional PI alts on your account - although I am not sure that is the best use of the character space. One of my alts is industry and also does PI (because why not) and the other is an alpha-clone scout/tackle/t1 gank catalyst pilot who also has PI skills. This works out for me right now, but not if you want an out-of-alliance alt to do highsec hauling or something.

Running multiple alts on PI really isn't too bad, especially if you consolidate them into the same system - then each character just has to bring their poo poo into station, and you can use your main to ferry it to a freighter pickup to take to jita for sale. You can choose to either stagger your timers so you are logging in every couple days for a little while, or line them up so you are logging in once every 3-4 days and reseting everything.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.
Kimi PewPew. Bad decisions were made.

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
Terrible Goon Spy

:smith:

It was a good idea at the time.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
Yeah, when you've been playing this game for 8 years and you're only 19 years old your name can't really be that good.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

mikey posted:

I'm still amazed at how many people don't understand this. Anyone who thinks the CFC would 'take over nullsec' if PL and N3 weren't valiantly holding them off with their wrecking ball seems to have forgotten that B-R happened. The CFC is held together by necessity, not by some kind of galaxy-conquering bloodlust. The majority of the members of the CFC would happily reset each other if they didn't need to band together to counter the supercap fleet of one 2000-person alliance. Thus, death to all supers.

Eve in its current state is incredibly broken. When one power taking over nullsec is actually a thing that can happen, there are catastrophically huge mechanical problems with the game, and supers represent the worst of those problems.

Confirming there are many in the CFC whom I would happily shoot

Klyith posted:

Holy poo poo this CVA guy is SO MAD that the job costs for research are going into an isk sink instead of his wallet.

But now I finally know why provibloc has a station in drat near every system in providence -- they were putting them down as an investment to charge for use & access. This guy paid for a station and 2 upgrades, that poo poo is like someone buying a T2 BPO a month ago for full price because he hadn't read any dev blogs. :laugh:

Hey, at least it's not light grey text on dark grey backgrounds.

To be fair, it is kind of dumb that the station owner doesn't get the revenue from jobs run in that station.

-------

Re: names, my main is the same as my forum name since that's something I've done since I was 15 on every game I've ever played (yes it's dumb) but what's worse is that I went out and bought a character named Sergant Cornhole since his skills were perfect for what I needed and I had been looking for months.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Terrible names are the best :colbert:

Goatsephobia, no regrets.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well at least your names are spelt right. Mine is "Oylmpia" and I noticed it only after it was too much :effort: to reroll.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Anyone advocating that ccp needs to add more 0.0 space is insane, their needs to be a hell of alot less space. right now the tow major blocks have a poo poo ton of room so much so that the largest 0.0 alliances are renter alliances. The current population of eve needs 0.0 to be reduced by half (in number of systems not physical space).

Cram as many people as close together as possible without over crowding too bad and you will get wars and content again

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Yeah, when you've been playing this game for 8 years and you're only 19 years old your name can't really be that good.

19? I have cheese in my fridge that's older than you.

And I'm still on the fence about eating it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When CCP did their name trawl for the monument they forced a name change on one of my industry alts Fagballs McGinty. That was the name his parents gave him and he had been using it with no issues for 4 years :ccp:

Now I have an Amarr Citizen34353343 character like all the cool kids.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Zasze posted:

Cram as many people as close together as possible without over crowding too bad and you will get wars and content again

That rent check is far more valuable than 'your fun'.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zasze posted:

Anyone advocating that ccp needs to add more 0.0 space is insane, their needs to be a hell of alot less space. right now the tow major blocks have a poo poo ton of room so much so that the largest 0.0 alliances are renter alliances. The current population of eve needs 0.0 to be reduced by half (in number of systems not physical space).

Except that the good space (as defined by tru-sec) is overcrowded already.

Yes, there is a lot of empty (or very lightly populated) null-sec, but it's pretty poo poo space.

Note that this is my experience in GSF, and may not hold true across all of null-sec.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zasze posted:

I think that they should add an npc null pocket somewhere in the East, even if it's only like five systems that expand a current region like Outer Passage.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Low sec needs a serious shake up. By low sec I mean the non faction warfare stuff. Gate guns ignoring sig and speed would be a good start. He'll just remove gate guns entirely. Such a dumb idea. I don't see why we can't bubble either. Would help to purge some supers in the game since low sec systems are the best place to park them.

mmrmnhrm
Jul 10, 2014

The Locator posted:

Except that the good space (as defined by tru-sec) is overcrowded already.

Yes, there is a lot of empty (or very lightly populated) null-sec, but it's pretty poo poo space.

Note that this is my experience in GSF, and may not hold true across all of null-sec.

True pretty much everywhere... I've lived in Deklein, Pure Blind, Fountain, Malpais, Scalding Pass, and Paragon Soul. In all cases, lovely true-sec systems (like 7X-02R -0.09) were empty compared to the -0.8 and -0.9 systems, even if there was some unique/redeeming feature about it.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Tai posted:

Low sec needs a serious shake up. By low sec I mean the non faction warfare stuff. Gate guns ignoring sig and speed would be a good start. He'll just remove gate guns entirely. Such a dumb idea. I don't see why we can't bubble either. Would help to purge some supers in the game since low sec systems are the best place to park them.

"Lowsec needs a change up, so here are some ideas which would completely kill lowsec."

Xolve posted:

That rent check is far more valuable than 'your fun'.

You're not good at this.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Tai posted:

So basically make losec into NPC nullsec that punishes you for shooting people? Sounds like a great idea

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Tindahbawx posted:

Let me tell you about my coterie of characters all named after popular media produced by / starring a celebrity. And of course, the worst name in GSF, BoneyTooth Thompkins Isk-Chip. Name too long to remember, always primary target and pubbie as poo poo.

RIP Faggity Andy, Never Forget :911:

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Tai posted:

Gateguns already have perfect tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
People should carrier rat because getting tackled and having 40 people shoot you is a way more manly way to die than to get killed by two maledictions in your Ishtar.

It is also a lot more exciting when bad guys come into system and you start your 30 align and start praying. I lost a carrier the other day with like less than 2 or 3 seconds left before I escaped.

Also you can have the joy of accidentally warping off and leaving 200m in drones on a despawned anom.

• Locked thread