Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kwee Wee and Jason Jett did a couple of things cooler than anything I can remember seeing in a WWE match in the last thirteen years. Rey Mysterio made Kid Romeo look like a million bucks. Tag matches were actually fun and inventive.

WWE carefully controlling every minute of the broadcast just kills the spontaneity of everything.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In 2001 Nitro was still pretty bad but Thunder was actually pretty good with all the cruiserweight matches. There was still a lot of bad stuff, but the good stuff felt really fresh.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I remember being excited about the cruiser division at the time, since they were rolling out the Cruiserweight Tag Titles.

I remember really liking Air Paris & AJ Styles, the little bit I saw of them anyway.

It's funny that AJ got a contract out of that that WWE had to buy him out of.

Edit: and lol, WCW being WCW, they had the Cruiserweight tag titles change hands even though they only existed for about a week.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I remember being excited about the cruiser division at the time, since they were rolling out the Cruiserweight Tag Titles.

I remember really liking Air Paris & AJ Styles, the little bit I saw of them anyway.

It's funny that AJ got a contract out of that that WWE had to buy him out of.

Edit: and lol, WCW being WCW, they had the Cruiserweight tag titles change hands even though they only existed for about a week.

I'm pretty sure AJ was just cut and offered a developmental deal that he turned down.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think he was cut when they bought WCW, got some pay-per-appearance matches on C-shows, and got offered a developmental deal that he turned down because he didn't want to move his family.

e: beaten

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

For a chilling look at what 2000-2001 WCW could have been, see the YouShoot with Jerry Jarrett where he claims that the higher-ups at WCW asked him multiple times after they fired Russo/Bischoff to come in and run the company. His amazing innovative plans to save WCW include building the main event scene around an extended Sid vs. Hogan feud and pushing Jeff Jarrett to the moon as an underdog babyface champion.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Is it true that Vince wanted Jerry Jarrett to take over the WWF if he went down on the steroids charges in the early '90s?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is it true that Vince wanted Jerry Jarrett to take over the WWF if he went down on the steroids charges in the early '90s?

Yeah that's why Jerry moved to Stamford during that period.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Didn't Johnny Ace book those last couple months of WCW? It actually got pretty OK before WWF bought it. Like, it couldn't touch what WWF was doing at the time, but it was a show with feuds and matches that actually built up to something. And there was a cruiserweight tag-team title! Fuckin A, man. :respek:

Yeah, WCW looked like it was improving at the time. Thing is, only so much you can do when you're coming off of WCW 2000. So in effect, it's just like TNA right now.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Testekill posted:

Yeah, WCW looked like it was improving at the time. Thing is, only so much you can do when you're coming off of WCW 2000. So in effect, it's just like TNA right now.

Well, it's like TNA right now if TNA manages to keep it up for more than three weeks.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

RZApublican posted:

For a chilling look at what 2000-2001 WCW could have been, see the YouShoot with Jerry Jarrett where he claims that the higher-ups at WCW asked him multiple times after they fired Russo/Bischoff to come in and run the company. His amazing innovative plans to save WCW include building the main event scene around an extended Sid vs. Hogan feud and pushing Jeff Jarrett to the moon as an underdog babyface champion.

Still better than the Invasion.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RZApublican posted:

Has babyface Jeff Jarrett ever worked? Like he got sort of a pass because his wife died but it never looked long term.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

coconono posted:

Has babyface Jeff Jarrett ever worked? Like he got sort of a pass because his wife died but it never looked long term.

World's Greatest Dad Jeff Jarrett was def the babyface against Kurt Angle.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

It sorta worked in Memphis when he feuded with Eddie Gilbert, but that's because the only thing protecting Eddie from a lynching in Memphis was he that he was crazier than the crowd was.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Eddie Gilbert was awesome. It's too bad he never really got big in WCW.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Wait, wasn't he that guy who was in the LWO?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

For one night, on Raw is Owen.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Wait, wasn't he that guy who was in the LWO?

He left WCW in 1989 and died in 1995. So no.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

Eddie Gilbert was awesome. It's too bad he never really got big in WCW.

He is tied to 2 very big angles in NWA/WCW history though:

1)While feuding with Horsemen, he found a mystery partner to deal with them: Ricky Steamboat. Steamboat ended up pairing off with Flair to have one of the best world title feuds ever.

2) The original Hot Stuff Int'l had Sting and Rick Steiner in it, and Sting was actually a heel. Sting's face turn ended up making him a bigger and bigger deal gradually (I think this might have been in Watts' UWF though).

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MrBling posted:

He left WCW in 1989 and died in 1995. So no.

Oh, never mind. I was thinking of El Dandy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He is tied to 2 very big angles in NWA/WCW history though:

1)While feuding with Horsemen, he found a mystery partner to deal with them: Ricky Steamboat. Steamboat ended up pairing off with Flair to have one of the best world title feuds ever.

You forgot that that feud ended up leading to one that was as good or better. I love me some Terry Funk.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever someone mentions Eddie Gilbert in WCW, I immediately think of the WCW game for NES that was impossible to beat

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
LAST NIGHT ON FALL BRAWL NOTED SCUMBAG rear end in a top hat CURT HENNIG TURNED ON THE HORSEMEN TO JOIN THE NWO. HE IS GOING TO DIE.

TONIGHT AT 8 PM TWO NITROS, THE NWO WILL PAY!!!!

Elswhere:

Juvi vs Rey Jr
Regal vs Alex Wright for the TV title
Stevie Richards vs DDP
Ultimo Dragon vs Eddy Guerrero for the cruiserweight title

NOTED SCUMBAG rear end in a top hat CURT HENNIG VS HERO STEVE MONGO MCMICHAEL FOR THE US TITLE

Episode 2

Silver King vs Rey Jr
Alex Wright vs Disco Inferno for the TV title

BILL GOLDBERG VS HUGH MORRUS

Randy Savage vs Stevie Richards

A lucha 8 man and so much more!

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

8 PM for Nitro and a NEW Fabulous Ones music video 7:30 for Cowboy Who?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Guys if you missed Nitro tonight you missed this Larry Legend history lesson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrBXzq7YQ0

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

EugeneJ posted:

Whenever someone mentions Eddie Gilbert in WCW, I immediately think of the WCW game for NES that was impossible to beat

One of my friends had this game. It was impossible to get past the 2nd level, nonetheless beat the drat thing. Eventually he got a turbo controller and that allowed him to beat the game.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Y'know, for how much of a hilarious clusterfuck the first Battle Bowl was, I think it had some "booking" decisions that could be fun in a modern context. Random hosses and flippadoos, cartoon characters with hardasses, tag team vs. tag team, two guys engaged in a violent blood feud against each other, etc. Maybe adding a second round could even help the little mini-angles progress even further.

Not as (conceptually) fun, honestly, because homogenization, but I'd love to see something like the Lethal Lottery format return. Just as long as they don't book the entire drat ppv as strange and cramped as WCW did. Seriously, Starrcade 1992 has the battlebowl tournament, then half of the battlebowl winners competing in separate matches unrelated to the tournament, THEN the battlebowl 8-man over-the-top-rope battle royale.

Sting, Vader, Muta, Barry Windham, and Dr. Death all wrestled three matches on the card, and it wasn't a proper tournament. But I guess I shouldn't complain, because man there was a lot of great stuff to watch. Even the battle royale didn't suck. It was just weird to have a brutal, hard-fought match that left Sting and Vader both barely able to stand, then immediately hyping into the battle royale to blow off the night, putting Sting and Vader in another fight right off the bat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Guys if you missed Nitro tonight you missed this Larry Legend history lesson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrBXzq7YQ0

I'm impressed by this Bill Goldberg fellow's great victory over Bill DeMott. Still doesn't have as many super bowl rings as Mongo though, he'll never get anywhere.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm impressed by this Bill Goldberg fellow's great victory over Bill DeMott. Still doesn't have as many super bowl rings as Mongo though, he'll never get anywhere.

He's just another "Hard Work" Bobby Walker; gets one win and jobs out.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

So what if he beat The Laughing Man, he was just off his game!

Next Nitro, this Bill Goldberg dork is going down!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't Roddy Piper already beat this guy up?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Didn't Roddy Piper already beat this guy up?

That's what Meltzer said in the Observer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

That's what Meltzer said in the Observer.

Please don't bring hack journalism into this thread, the internet has the scoops. The internet knows it was Horshu.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Horshu Hogan?

bartok
May 10, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I missed the part last night where Tony says Walter Cronkite never had to call a cage match. So that means WCW is more brutal than the assassination of JFK.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

bartok posted:

I missed the part last night where Tony says Walter Cronkite never had to call a cage match. So that means WCW is more brutal than the assassination of JFK.
It caused more brain damage and broken wrists.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I just watched Mayhem 1999, having never seen it before. It was Russo's 2nd PPV I believe, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. There was still plenty of poo poo, but the final match ends relatively clean with Hart and Benoit having a great match, which was a pretty cool way to end a WCW PPV. The best thing about the crappy matches (Luger/Meng, David Flair/Kimberly, Vampiro/Berlyn) is that they're short, while the Revolution/Filthy Animals are given some time, and Benoit/Jarrett is a strong opener (and I actually liked the botched interference in that match... not so much the next five matches that ended with botched interference). Having it in Canada really helped, too, since they managed to get Sting booed, and made Hart finally winning the belt seem like a huge deal. Of course, Starrcade 1999 would kind of ruin everything.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHqBPw5HYDU

The nWo were' p. loving cool. Except for all those times they weren't.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

NWO was almost as cool as Steve Kmetko https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOBdn9avDnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
For those interested in canceled video games featuring WCW in the year 2000, someone has uploaded various test animations from the planned WCW Mayhem 2 game, complete with some sound clips. I just had Jarrett ask, "you want to tangle with me, slap nuts?"

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/m-a-d-d-o-g/library/portfolio/WCW%20Mayhem%202?sort=3&page=1