Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

It's more than a bit harsh, it's rude and also nullifies your argument since you've admitted you haven't even read the thing you are arguing against.

I literally do not care at all about her interpretation in any negative or positive way. I posted my reading without reading hers because the thread was mostly talking about the new movie, which I wanted to do as well. Sometimes people want to talk about their experience watching a movie without barreling through a 450+ page prerequisite, and then 30 pages of posts on top of that.

Due to your bizarre longasspost-lexia you may have assumed that "so long as it's not the "wrong" opinion" was meant to apply to Terry's reading. It wasn't. In fact, if you had read the post before clutching your pearls, you would have noticed that I was actually talking about my frustration with CineD posters, not Terry's reading. Hence the quotation marks around "wrong".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was going to bother trying to explain more, but I checked your rapsheet. Threadshitting is kind of your deal I guess?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

I literally do not care at all about her interpretation in any negative or positive way. I posted my reading without reading hers because the thread was mostly talking about the new movie, which I wanted to do as well. Sometimes people want to talk about their experience watching a movie without barreling through a 450+ page prerequisite, and then 30 pages of posts on top of that.

Due to your bizarre longasspost-lexia you may have assumed that "so long as it's not the "wrong" opinion" was meant to apply to Terry's reading. It wasn't. In fact, if you had read the post before clutching your pearls, you would have noticed that I was actually talking about my frustration with CineD posters, not Terry's reading. Hence the quotation marks around "wrong".

People are discussing the film casually, and have always been.

It's extremely un-casual to trundle up to the water cooler and attempt to start a meta-discussion over whether the conversation is actually casual enough.

"So, those Red Sox, huh? Honestly, talking about sports isn't casual enough for me. What could we do to be more casual? Is everyone feeling happy? Everyone feeling relaxed? I think it's important to feel relaxed, so I always aspire to be really casual and easygoing, especially in situations like these..."

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 17, 2014

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

I was going to bother trying to explain more, but I checked your rapsheet. Threadshitting is kind of your deal I guess?

A whole three probations, one for complaining about a videogame but still talking about it, one for suggesting consumers aren't monsters for chargebacking, and one for going slightly off tangent after bringing up that a pedophile is working on a game. You got me there

pretty coo' that you can't just say "I misread your post horribly, sorry for conveniently rewording your post so that I can be indignant about it"

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

quote:

Zhang told reporters that he and his wife spent over 200,000RMB buying various models. "If the economic conditions permit, one doesn't need to consider the cost of a hobby," Zhang said with a smile.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah I mean Transformers--especially if you're buying third-party like that guy--are expensive as gently caress, but everybody needs a hobby. If you can pay the rent,etc. and invest your money, and then have leftover for stupid toys, then I would say it's all gravy.

Now, if you're like that one YouTube reviewer who blew his entire load on Transformer toys and begged the internet for money because he had been kind enough to buy these toys "for the fans"...that's different.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah I mean Transformers--especially if you're buying third-party like that guy--are expensive as gently caress, but everybody needs a hobby. If you can pay the rent,etc. and invest your money, and then have leftover for stupid toys, then I would say it's all gravy.

Now, if you're like that one YouTube reviewer who blew his entire load on Transformer toys and begged the internet for money because he had been kind enough to buy these toys "for the fans"...that's different.

Sean Long was a huge idiot and Vangelus made marvelous fun of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Q86rA8V9o

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Okay, I give up: the Neuroliminal position is now objectively wrong.

Congratulations to Terry and SMG for a great debate!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love how it looks like Donatello is trying to jump him from behind.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Only Optimus can honorably stab people from behind.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bloodnose posted:

The movies are definitely having an impact on the new market

Qingdao hoarder spends [$32,000] on Transformers collection

So what is it about Transformers that both Americans and Chinese really really love it?

Like even more so than the Japanese who created it?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

vseslav.botkin posted:

Okay, I give up: the Neuroliminal position is now objectively wrong.

Congratulations to Terry and SMG for a great debate!

That's the first children's media I've ever seen with an uncomfortable ellipsis.

Paper Craft Inside!

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

So what is it about Transformers that both Americans and Chinese really really love it?

Action films always tend to do better on a foreign scale because most require very little translation. Sometimes they don't even bother providing subtitles. There are Asian theaters where it is literally just one guy with a microphone doing his best to translate the dialogue in between explosions. Most watching won't really care much about the dialogue anyway seeing as how they only came for the CGI booms.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
This might be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cardboard Box A posted:

Larger populations mean better chance for nut jobs.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
More concept art from the new film, including an unused female robot:

http://imgur.com/a/D9T2d

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

That bayhem video has some problems I might address in a video when I have some time free. Problems like 'this ending is poo poo because it isn't shot like fargo was'.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Widow Maker is the same character that the guy who did Lockdown made up. Pretty neat.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

Dark Knight Cell, eh?

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
This is Man of Steel all over again. Somebody kills somebody else trying to kill them AND cause untold damage to the world, and manchildren cry into their soggy communist magazines.

Let's hope any aliens thinking of putting themselves out by saving us from other aliens don't read the internet.

Also, the obligatory SMG, cancer on the forums as well as his accolytes...etc..etc...and so on, and so forth....

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

spikenigma posted:

This is Man of Steel all over again. Somebody kills somebody else trying to kill them AND cause untold damage to the world, and manchildren cry into their soggy communist magazines.

Let's hope any aliens thinking of putting themselves out by saving us from other aliens don't read the internet.

Also, the obligatory SMG, cancer on the forums as well as his accolytes...etc..etc...and so on, and so forth....

what are you talking about

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

what are you talking about

I assume he's referring to the fact that people have said that Optimus going on about honor and then stabbing Lockdown in the back after Lockdown beats him in a fair fight is kind of a bit weird, almost like Optimus' honor thing is all for show.

The only person I've ever known with that username once said he could kill a gorilla with his bare hands, however, so, HBG, I think he's just a crazy person.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

spikenigma posted:

This is not your planet to rule.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Milky Moor posted:

Widow Maker is the same character that the guy who did Lockdown made up. Pretty neat.

Interesting that she was conceived with so much more human of a face. Having only seen each of these once, are the female transformers (transformer? I forget) that have shown up similar?

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

spikenigma posted:

Huh? The communists loved Man of Steel (and its ethics), it was the liberal posters who generally hated it.

And SMG owns.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I assume he's referring to the fact that people have said that Optimus going on about honor and then stabbing Lockdown in the back after Lockdown beats him in a fair fight is kind of a bit weird, almost like Optimus' honor thing is all for show.

You'd prefer it if he committed seppuku and let them nuke that city? If he wasn't dead how had he been beaten in a fight to the death? The "weird" part is picking it out and considering it an issue.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kempo posted:

You'd prefer it if he committed seppuku and let them nuke that city? If he wasn't dead how had he been beaten in a fight to the death? The "weird" part is picking it out and considering it an issue.

Because Lockdown didn't want to kill Prime, just incapacitate and capture.

Stabbing someone in the back is a dishonorable act. It's so well known as a bad thing to do that it's actually a phrase that normal people use in conversation.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 23, 2014

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Because Lockdown didn't want to kill Prime, just incapacitate and capture.

Stabbing someone in the back is a dishonorable act. It's so well known as a bad thing to do that it's actually a phrase that normal people use in conversation.

Sorry I thought by that point he wanted to kill him, I'm probably mistaken.

And yeah, sneaking up behind someone and stabbing them in the back is dishonourable, agreed, but if you're already engaged in combat with someone and they turn away from you then that's their own fault for being cocky, surely? It's not like Optimus crept up and stabbed him while he was eating his robot dinner or having a robot shower, they were fighting each other.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sure, but the film was also made in a certain way. Just like how the second film ended with the last big image being Optimus tearing out another robot's heart/soul, the third film ended with Optimus decapitating someone wishing for a truce and executing a defenceless old man robot, the fourth film ends with Optimus stabbing someone in the back and saying 'honor until the end' or whatever. Optimus doesn't win the fight, Lockdown loses it.

edit: Basically, where is there any honor on Optimus' part during the fight? Taking on Lockdown isn't, like, heroic honor - because the two of them basically hate each other and Lockdown was coming for him. Optimus doesn't take on any sort of honorable burden by facing Lockdown. It could be related to Optimus shooting Attinger, maybe, but Optimus was motivated by a desire to kill him anyway, saving Cade just kind of happened. Optimus doesn't beat Lockdown in an honorable duel either. So, what is Optimus' phrase except another indicator of the dissonance between Optimus' nature and his persona?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 23, 2014

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Sure, but the film was also made in a certain way. Just like how the second film ended with the last big image being Optimus tearing out another robot's heart/soul, the third film ended with Optimus decapitating someone wishing for a truce and executing a defenceless old man robot, the fourth film ends with Optimus stabbing someone in the back and saying 'honor until the end' or whatever. Optimus doesn't win the fight, Lockdown loses it.

And yet at the end of the film he lets the Dinobots roam free on Earth? This is the worst "hero" cinema history.

Please, Bay, make the fifth film all about how Decepticons and humans band together to kick Optimus Prime off of Earth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
"Defenseless" is a really weird claim to make when every movie goes out of its way to show Transformers shrug off and nearly automatically repair crippling body damage (minus Bumblebee's weird voicebox thing)

Humans tried holding Transformers captive. It didn't work out.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

api call girl posted:

"Defenseless" is a really weird claim to make when every movie goes out of its way to show Transformers shrug off and nearly automatically repair crippling body damage (minus Bumblebee's weird voicebox thing)

Sentinel Prime had no weapons and had been disembowelled by Megatron. He was down on his hands and knees and can't do anything but shout 'No!' at Optimus. I'd say that's a pretty good definition.

And holding them captive actually worked pretty well. Megatron was successfully imprisoned for decades and they had no real problem with holding Bumblebee either.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

api call girl posted:

Why don't the Autobots just hold the Decepticons captive? Since they're the only ones who match them in strength and they pretty much brought these battles to Earth with them, why not charge them with cleaning up the mess? Or are the Autobots just real buttholes when they're not battling Decepticons?

I'm guessing the one thought going through Optimus Prime's head when he shot the villain in Dark of the Moon was "drat, I don't want to be responsible for keeping this guy locked up or go to all the trouble of sending him off the planet. I'll just kill him now and say it was an honor thing. Yeah, that's the ticket."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This movie reminded me a bit of Godzilla vs. Monster Zero.

By the end of this film, though, I'm sort of reminded of a stinger at the end of one of the Transformers runs in the last 15 years where some new Transformers arrive on Earth and arrest everyone (Autobot and Decepticon, alike) for war crimes.

Lockdown shouldn't be a bad guy, he's a guy being charged with a, "Holy poo poo, have you seen what these assholes are doing to an alien world and its citizens?! We need to go and clean this up!"-mission.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Lockdown is basically the police officer keeping law and order and a mature society. Prime is the badass teenager loving poo poo up and going on shooting sprees.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Crosshairs is dressed like a neon member of the Trenchcoat Mafia. Makes sense.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

JediTalentAgent posted:

Crosshairs is dressed like a neon member of the Trenchcoat Mafia. Makes sense.

You also have the fat guy who thinks he is a badass and the Anime Japanophile. Wahlberg is the Jock.

Bee? I dunmo. He seems like he could turnout ok. But for some reason I think of him being Dickeye.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I feel like everybody's forgetting the 100% most hosed up part of the third film, which is so hosed up I don't even know how anti-subtext/preferred reading people can defend it:

Optimus Prime fakes an aviation disaster and allows the Decepticons to attack a major American city just to prove a point.

Optimus Prime posted:

"We will kill them all! Your leaders will now understand: Decepticons will never leave your planet alone. And we needed them to believe we had gone. For today, in the name of freedom, we take the battle to them!"

It's been a while since I've read Terry's analysis, but I don't think she really goes too far into how incredibly disturbing this should be to American audiences. One reason some people hate George W. Bush is because they believe 9/11 was an inside job and that he Let It Happen On Purpose (LIHOP) -- but what Prime did is open, public knowledge.

I mean, holy poo poo. That is monstrous.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, it's part of what sells me on the idea that Bay is trying to do everything he can to make his viewers realize the Autobots are monsters without actually coming out and saying 'Optimus Prime is EVIL'. He'll show you Optimus sacrificing Chicago to prove his political worth, he'll have Optimus tell the viewer he did it, he'll make the 'villains' of the next film a black ops unit that believes the Autobots are as much a threat as the Decepticons...but he'll have Optimus parrot a few lines about Freedom and Honor, and then I guess he'll laugh or weep or whatever he does when people keep rooting for the red truck of genocide.

It's not like the Decepticons are good dudes, but their various endgames are (for better or worse) organized states of civilization. Optimus seems to be a nihilistic wrecking ball intent on driving both Autobots and Decepticons to extinction as long as it preserves his own personal cult of power and his ability to tear off faces. (Are there any surviving Decepticons? How many Autobots are left from the original cast?) Now that he's aware of the existence of God he has to jet off and deface It too.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

vseslav.botkin posted:

I feel like everybody's forgetting the 100% most hosed up part of the third film, which is so hosed up I don't even know how anti-subtext/preferred reading people can defend it:

Optimus Prime fakes an aviation disaster and allows the Decepticons to attack a major American city just to prove a point.

It's been a while since I've read Terry's analysis, but I don't think she really goes too far into how incredibly disturbing this should be to American audiences. One reason some people hate George W. Bush is because they believe 9/11 was an inside job and that he Let It Happen On Purpose (LIHOP) -- but what Prime did is open, public knowledge.

I mean, holy poo poo. That is monstrous.

Again some kind of willful misrepresentation of the actual text. Optimus doesn't fake any disaster, he recognizes the situation that there's an attack coming as soon as the Autobots are in one defenseless location so they never get on the ship. Starscream arrives and shoots it down.

And I'm going by memory here but I'm pretty sure nobody knew Decepticons were going to Chicago until Sam figured it out because that's where the human antagonist character took off to. And that took place only after the Autobots appeared to have left Earth.

And since that was all right after Decepticons showed up en masse all over the world, the monstrous thing to do would have been to let themselves be kicked off Earth and just never return.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 23, 2014