Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

R. Mute posted:

yeah, it's not a big deal. i'm 24 and i've had 'em a couple of years. supposedly, my grandmother started going grey in her teens. c'est la vie.

Is there any actual science to it? Does stress actually cause earlier grey hair, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Throw various world leaders into low earth orbit, repeat that process with military generals. Make a global warning to be excellent to each other, or I'd come for them too.

Same, but with punching off their heads instead of LEO.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Talmonis posted:

Things you do unconsciously that make someone else's day a little bit more lovely. Like locking your doors when you see a young black guy walking by, or being surprised at someone's appearance when you do an interview with them, not realizing that they were black/hispanic/etc. beforehand. People pick up on that stuff, and from what I've been told, it adds up to a lot of stress and feeling like poo poo for the folks who experience it.

This, basically. (:tvtropes: alert; it's a shame the community is a cesspit, cause that site is really good at explaining things)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

R. Mute posted:

yeah, it's not a big deal. i'm 24 and i've had 'em a couple of years. supposedly, my grandmother started going grey in her teens. c'est la vie.

I'm 26 and same. I got a cluster of like 10 of them together somewhere on the right side. I haven't seen any more form though in a few years beyond the ones I already have :shrug:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

silvergoose posted:

Is there any actual science to it? Does stress actually cause earlier grey hair, etc

Dunno about science, but I'm a light smoker and a light drinker, and I think those contribute, however minimally.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

zoux posted:

Same, but with punching off their heads instead of LEO.

But with LEO, you can have people look into a telescope to see Vladamir Putin's exposure ridden mummy as a grim reminder.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

razorrozar posted:

I will be 23 in 3 weeks. I just brushed my hair and realized I have a bunch of grays.

Is it legal to have gray hair this young?

My first gray hair was at 15.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

But with LEO, you can have people look into a telescope to see Vladamir Putin's exposure ridden mummy as a grim reminder.

I'd also be like "Uh, the Tea Party is over" and then I'd track down internet commenters on school shooting articles and personally take away their guns.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DudgWusxQ8

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

*plagiarizes a fascist*

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If I had superman's powers I would use them to get that scoop on all the free agency trade rumors, gently caress you woj!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd also curse a lot during press conferences because the media would have to cover everything I ever said but also they couldn't do poo poo about it :cawg:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Tony Jowns posted:

:siren:HUMAN NATURE:siren:

:siren:RULES OF NATURE:siren:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

zoux posted:

Is this just what it sounds like?

When I was a kid I just assumed that the black people at the family reunion that kept to themselves were just friends of the family. :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

R. Mute posted:

*in the zizek voice* humannesh

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Discendo Vox posted:

My first gray hair was at 15.

16 here, but I started shaving my head in law school.

Also, good luck on the bar (you will pass).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Talmonis posted:

Things you do unconsciously that make someone else's day a little bit more lovely. Like locking your doors when you see a young black guy walking by, or being surprised at someone's appearance when you do an interview with them, not realizing that they were black/hispanic/etc. beforehand. People pick up on that stuff, and from what I've been told, it adds up to a lot of stress and feeling like poo poo for the folks who experience it.

What I've always wondered: why call that a micro-aggression? That just sounds like being racist and/or dumb.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

silvergoose posted:

It's still the usual advice! With the addendum, DO NEVER BUY A CONDO.

The reasoning behind this one better be to avoid inflicting more 3 olives upon the forums.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

What I've always wondered: why call that a micro-aggression? That just sounds like being racist and/or dumb.

It is being racist/dumb. But micro-aggression isn't my term for it at any rate. I think it was BassGuitarHero who clued me in on the concept.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The reasoning behind this one better be to avoid inflicting more 3 olives upon the forums.

Speaking of which, I've not seen ThreeOlives since the GBS switch.

zoux posted:

Are you kidding he's all over that place like a rash.

It could be that I rarely go there anymore...

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 23, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you kidding he's all over that place like a rash.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Talmonis posted:

Speaking of which, I've not seen ThreeOlives since the GBS switch.

he single handedly destroyed the recent gbs thread about some guy that got the poo poo scammed out of him while buying a house with condo chat

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Buzzfeed somehow is relevant.

Basically it's people being racist but in more subtle ways than expected, that basically amounts to a dog-whistle the minority group hears but the majority group doesn't even realize is bad.

It's the main "but I'm not a racist" type of racism you see alot.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Doesn't come round here much any more, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Buzzfeed somehow is relevant.

Basically it's people being racist but in more subtle ways than expected, that basically amounts to a dog-whistle the minority group hears but the majority group doesn't even realize is bad.

It's the main "but I'm not a racist" type of racism you see alot.

Most of this stuff is pretty loving racist.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The new New York Times language visualizer is awesome.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

Most of this stuff is pretty loving racist.

Agreed, racist stuff is racist. Some of the stuff on that list was more blatant than others.

Constant obsessing over black people hair is a great example though.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i've been getting gray hair since i was 18 :( luckily it's just a few in front and doesn't seem to be expanding

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Swan Oat posted:

i've been getting gray hair since i was 18 :( luckily it's just a few in front and doesn't seem to be expanding

I started graying at the temples when I was in my early 20s. It's less noticeable now that I cut my hair very short and also have less hair to go gray...:smith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hair sucks. Why does sit fall out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

euphronius posted:

Hair sucks. Why does sit fall out.

So you can have a shiny dome like Dr. Xavier.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No it's because almost always people coming in and asking "Hey condos are so much cheaper! Should I get one for a few years and then flip it instead of renting???" and the answer is *always* no.

Though yes, that is also a decent goal.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shave it. It's not just for black guys anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

THats such a huge step to take. I am not ready.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

euphronius posted:

THats such a huge step to take. I am not ready.

Yeah, me either. I mean, I can see that point coming down the road, but I'd prefer to keep pretending for a little while longer.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

or have luxurious natural hair

scrubs

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Shave it all off - there's nothing worse than someone clinging to the flotsam and jetsam of a ravaged hairline.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Shave it all off - there's nothing worse than someone clinging to the flotsam and jetsam of a ravaged hairline.

Men beyond a certain age can pull it off. Like maybe you hit 45-50 and want to have wispy poo poo up top, go for it if you're not too far gone. Think Alton Brown or something along those lines. But anything younger than that, yup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have a full, luxurious head of hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The only inexcusable hairstyle is the combover. It's never not pathetic.

• Locked thread