Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ronwayne posted:

But yeah, its mostly because bad emotions are stronger than good emotions in that universe. And while people say "oh yeah lots of planets, lots of differences", pretty much every imperial is portrayed as a bullet-making GBS threads hardass or a head-tubed abused drone.

Also the Eldar are weird fucks with hyper-emotions who created a god entirely by themselves and now most of them run a giant torture factory feeding it nonstop.

And, of course, those who aren't running that factory have the hilariously stupid plan to kill and collect the souls of most of their own race to hopefully create a Death God that can kill the first God. Come winter, the gorillas will just freeze to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The god of virtues is the holy Emperor you twice damned heretics!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Tell us about the Emperor's 1488 virtues Riso.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Riso posted:

The god of virtues is the holy Emperor you twice damned heretics!

The Emperor is the god of Man, nothing says he is a god of virtues. At best, he's a god of hatred, given how the ecclesiarchy views anything that isn't utterly obedient to themselves...

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

I have a lore question for you guys. The Ruinous Powers exist because they are concentrated negative emotions. Is there any explanation or are there any theories as to why there are no Righteous Powers to mirror the evil ones (mercy, love, justice, etc)? Or is the Emperor supposed to fill that role?

The Emperor and most of the Eldar Gods represented manifestations of Order, but they have been mostly killed or captured, thus everything being awful.

There used to be Gods of Law and daemon-like things as well but that hasn't been printed in ages http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/God_of_Law

They're neat though because they're no more good or wholesome than Chaos

quote:

Alluminas is the master of light, an everlasting and unchanging source of pure light, which is said to render unmoving and changeless anything it illuminates. He is probably the least popular of the Gods of Law, as the bulk of the concepts involved in his worship are beyond human comprehension.

Also arguably the four remaining C'Tan are Gods of Law. With the Nightbringer being passionless death as opposed to Khorne, Void Dragon being technology and freedom from the physical body and opposed to Nurgle. It gets a bit more of a stretch from there but The Outsider being about madness is the opposite of Tzeentch's scheming and maybe the Deceiver is the opposite of Slaanesh somehow? Maybe trickery is the opposite of satisfaction.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 19, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Karandras posted:

The Emperor and most of the Eldar Gods represented manifestations of Order, but they have been mostly killed or captured, thus everything being awful.

There used to be Gods of Law and daemon-like things as well but that hasn't been printed in ages http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/God_of_Law

They're neat though because they're no more good or wholesome than Chaos

The Law God thing seems kinda half baked in that incarnation, though.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

FireSight posted:

The Emperor is the god of Man, nothing says he is a god of virtues. At best, he's a god of hatred, given how the ecclesiarchy views anything that isn't utterly obedient to themselves...

You're forgetting the emperor would have been totally opposed to the ecclesiarchy and all religion in general.

Don't soil the man - gods reputation by linking him to that damned cult.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Werix posted:

You're forgetting the emperor would have been totally opposed to the ecclesiarchy and all religion in general.

The dude who was the Emperor and the entity sitting on the throne aren't really the same thing anymore. Worship of the emperor has essentially made him more than he was.

Also, yeah, I miss all the old fluff where Law gods existed and Chaos had more depth.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Werix posted:

Primarily because he knew Gods existed. That's my favorite part of Big E's little 'rationalist' side. He wasn't doing it because he didn't believe in Gods, he was doing it because he did, and they were assholes.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Night10194 posted:

Primarily because he knew Gods existed. That's my favorite part of Big E's little 'rationalist' side. He wasn't doing it because he didn't believe in Gods, he was doing it because he did, and they were assholes.

The other part of that was if man didn't worship the chaos gods, they'd loose their power. Like 99% of the chaos gods power base is man.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Werix posted:

The other part of that was if man didn't worship the chaos gods, they'd loose their power. Like 99% of the chaos gods power base is man.

Except that's bullshit, because man WORSHIPPING them isn't what gives them power - man doing the things that they live off is - so unless man stopped warring, Khorne would keep gaining power from man's wars, etc etc.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it's always fair to remember the Emperor had terrible judgment and pretty much everything he tried to do ended in miserable failure due to his hubris and dickishness.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Except that's bullshit, because man WORSHIPPING them isn't what gives them power - man doing the things that they live off is - so unless man stopped warring, Khorne would keep gaining power from man's wars, etc etc.

Not necessarily. They eat souls, just like the emperor does. SOULS are the main source of their power, and there seem to be rules on which souls they can claim. Usually the race that spawned them (see Slaanesh) and dedicated worshipers. Slaanesh doesn't get to claim the frat boy who sleeps around a ton and then gets killed in a drunken car crash. Sure, he's totally into sex drugs and partying, but he's not soul-damning level.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Those emotions are what gives the Ruinous a powers some of their essence but without occult ritual they have a hard time entering the real world, so partial credit there I guess to the Emperor. I'm sure space marines and the great crusade were excellent for the four, Khorne especially

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

One of my players decided to roll a Khorne Berserker. He's pretty new to the system, so I just told him that the most appropriate thing to do would be to spend all his experience buying Hatred talents.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Relevant to your khornate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9f-VVQK3k

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey there. I'm planning to run a 40k game (system still undecided, but possibly Only War or Rogue Trader, since they seem to be really polished). How hard is it to teach this (and to learn it, as a GM) to players who are only used to D&D? I'm pretty deep into 40k lore, but they barely know the franchise, but are kinda tempted to try it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Azran posted:

Hey there. I'm planning to run a 40k game (system still undecided, but possibly Only War or Rogue Trader, since they seem to be really polished). How hard is it to teach this (and to learn it, as a GM) to players who are only used to D&D? I'm pretty deep into 40k lore, but they barely know the franchise, but are kinda tempted to try it.

D&D is a million times more complicated than 40k. If they are used to a combat system Only War might be easier since it supports that. Rogue Trader might blow their mind as they are handed 100,000 or so people who work for them off the bat. You as a GM need to be aware that the problems and encounters you present in Rogue Trader cant be solved by the players simply glassing the planet from orbit or deploying a 1000 troopers to do what you need. Only War is a lot easier in terms of GMing since you can just have a superior officer tell the players what they are doing and send them off. Rogue Trader definitely benefits from the players being creative and greedy though so if you have those kinds of people then thats a lot of fun too.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Azran posted:

I was also an old D&D/Pathfinder player before learning this system myself and it is an easier system. OW or RT would be good picks. I first played RT with a group that knew NOTHING about 40k and it went good, since because it takes place outside of the Imperium, the players didn't have to know about all the various factions and history and poo poo.

Just make it grim-dark star trek.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Werix posted:

Just make it grim-dark star trek.

Murderhobo star-trek works well. Because despite being the richest people in hundreds of lightyears, you could always be slightly richer.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I find making characters to be more and more of a headche lately.

How do thw Tau do interstellar communications? X-Boat network? Or some spooky Ethereal stuff?
Do they know how the Imperium uses Astropaths, or what do they know about Psykers in general? I know they aren't psyker, uh, -ic, but what do they know about other factions?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

They have other races working for them who have psykers, including humans, so they likely have FTL communications working that way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hand waved. Because it raises far too many questions about even simple things like in-system time lag between ships and planets and things.

Then there are things like how does the Imperium send information long distances? As speech? Strings of encoded characters? Binary? None of that seems very efficient if it's being done at human speed. For pictures, do they just describe the mental image they receive? Do astropaths all have to take three years of life drawing before they're allowed to operate as a fax machine?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's not very consistent in the lore, but yea, in at least a couple versions Astropaths can't directly send spoken messages, they have to broadcast mental images to each other which the receiver has to interpret into an actual message. There is a complicated system of symbols that they use to put together their messages, and more powerful Astropaths are more skilled at transmitting/receiving complexities and therefore can manage more detail and information in a transmission.

If the Imperium wants to send a bunch of detailed information, they literally write it all down and put it on a ship (or possibly encode it in something so that a dataslate can access it, but seriously lots of places literally write it down). Astropaths aren't capable of transmitting the volume of information in your tithe audit or grain production summary, they are used for sending short, important communications that are critical or someone with power/money really wants to happen.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Tau are described as extensively using dedicated messenger ships in both their original Codex and in Battlefleet Gothic.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Seems like they can jury-rig a solution, but that the tech is bulky and slovenly:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tau_Fleet#.U863pPmSx1E

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Ashcans posted:

If the Imperium wants to send a bunch of detailed information, they literally write it all down and put it on a ship (or possibly encode it in something so that a dataslate can access it, but seriously lots of places literally write it down). Astropaths aren't capable of transmitting the volume of information in your tithe audit or grain production summary, they are used for sending short, important communications that are critical or someone with power/money really wants to happen.

That's basically how I assume it all works, that there are whole chartarist dynasties dedicated solely to bringing hard copies of information like reports, wanted person bulletins, etc across the Imperium.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I like the techpriest solution of servitorizing a bunch of astropaths and rigging them to broadcast to each other constantly to make sure their link is established. Then when a message is needed to be transmitted they spam binary signals instead of their normal broadcast and every astropath they normally transmit it to records it. This burns through psykers at an extremely fast rate so only important people tend to get this setup. Essentially the Mechanicum can use astropaths as modems.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That seems more like conspicuous consumption than anything useful :confused:
You're burning through a bunch of astropaths to do...the same thing as regular astropaths, but with bitcoin binary?

edit
That's not to say conspicuous consumption isn't a totally valid explanation.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rockopolis posted:

That seems more like conspicuous consumption than anything useful :confused:
You're burning through a bunch of astropaths to do...the same thing as regular astropaths, but with bitcoin binary?

edit
That's not to say conspicuous consumption isn't a totally valid explanation.

While yea it burns through resources your also getting constant streams of data being transferred (relatively) instantly over massively huge distances which is virtually impossible any other way.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, there is the possibility (not explained properly) that the method may actually bypass the need for Astropath-mindfuck-symbol-to-gothic translation, meaning the Mechanicum approach reduces message corruption.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I guess I have a hard time seeing it working, what with the nature of the Warp and Psyker powers and burnout and all. :shrug:
On the other hand, it does make me think of a funny comparison to IP Over Avian Carriers

Anyway, I'm busy working up a Salamanders Apothecary, starting at Rank 2, for a game of Deathwatch. Any advice? I'm guessing that the usual combat recommendation is to grab a Thunder Hammer with the upgrade that lets it set things on fire?

Is there a way I can use a jump pack before Rank 3 (I think that's when Pilot is available)? I totally like the idea of a Para-Apothecary zipping around the battlefield ("Health from above!"), and it'll be great for getting into hammer/flamer range.
Plus as a Salamander I can totally be swooping around, yelling and burning dudes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't think it works at all; if you could choose to broadcast a binary string, why couldn't you just broadcast a text string (and therefore a normal message) instead? If a bunch of stripped-down servitors can do that, why wouldn't actual Astropaths (who have far more skill) be able to transmit in the same way?

This is to say nothing of how questionable it is to servitor-ize Astropaths in the first place - Astropaths aren't just random psykers you dig up, they are powerful psykers who are carefully selected and trained by the Telepathica and survive the soul-binding. You can't just scoop up a bunch and turn them into servitors without probably committing several different brands of heresy right off the bat.

As a DM I would probably not allow servitor-psykers in the first place, because it seems like mulching someone's brains to turn them into a servitor would screw up their knowledge and ability to control the warp to begin with.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Forgive my lack of lore knowledge (yet again) but is an Astropath absolutely required for warp travel? I suppose what I mean is, does literally every warp-capable ship in the Imperium have an astropath aboard?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Forgive my lack of lore knowledge (yet again) but is an Astropath absolutely required for warp travel? I suppose what I mean is, does literally every warp-capable ship in the Imperium have an astropath aboard?

No, there are ways to travel in very short jumps by computer, it's just it takes forever compared to a Navigator equipped ship. Similarly, most vessels do not have Astropaths, only vessels that might need to make priority reports like scout ships, Inquisitorial vessels, or Rogue Traders, who even if they don't need one will buy one because why not? I have all the money.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

IIRC you only need an astropath to do interstellar communications. If you are exploring unknown regions AKA Rogue Trader then you need a Navigator to help you find your way.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Astropaths are psykers who can send mighty telepathic messages through the Warp, but they aren't strictly necessary for Warp travel (though I can't think of a ship that wouldn't have at least one, most have an entire Astropathic Choir). Navigators, mutants dating back to the Dark Age of Technology, are absolutely necessary for any Warp travel, because they are the only ones capable of sensing the chaos of the Warp because of their third eye. Navigators aren't technically psykers, though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Astropaths only send messages - the psykers that are used for Warp travel are Navigators, who are basically a particular kind of (probably created) mutant.

And no, you can actually make warp jumps without a Navigator, but it makes it a lot more difficult to do. Basically, a Navigator can see the warp and can plot and pilot a course through it, allowing them to make long trips and adjust their heading on the fly. Without a Navigator, you have to use a cogitator to calculate your warp jump and then hope for the best. This basically limits you to stable/known warp routes. Without a Navigator you also have to break up the trip into lots of short hops so that you can land, check where you are, program a new jump, and hop along - if you try making a longer jump, any errors or changes in the warp will almost certainly throw you far off course.

This means that there may be small ships running very short or safe routes that do not have Navigators, but they would be something like Chartists running the same little stretch between two neighboring systems (or similar) Almost any full-size ship that wants to be able to pick a path will have a Navigator on board.

There are some rules for jumping without a Navigator in Rogue Trader (not sure if its a supplement) but its not something you want to do a lot.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Thanks for the info. I was confusing astropaths and navigators. I assume navigators are extremely rare and therefore an insanely expensive and/or unavailable commodity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Got a fluff question for my gaming group's Rogue Trader session this week: is there any detail about the Promethean Cult of Nocturne and how it relates to the Ecclesiarchy? One of the PCs in the gaming group is from Nocturne, a veteran of an Imperial Guard auxiliary unit to the Salamanders, and she's going to be involved in a religious ceremony involving both traditional Ecclesiarchal beliefs and the Promethean Cult, and I'm looking around for any existing information on the Promethean Cult before I start making stuff up.